Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

JamesKPolk posted:

If this is gonna be a cross-forum fund (which, I think there is something to be said for that), than is C-SPAM the best place to post about it? GBS gets more readership, right? What about BFC? I bet they'd be a good place to recruit people w/ the various fund management expertise that people seem to want, as well as a good source of potential donors.

Personally I think it should be in E/N that way it sets the tone of being one of support and sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

changed my mind a little bit.

I think whatever group of people are in charge of the fund will need to have equal visibility into all the requests for funding since you'd want that group of people to have mutual audit over the payout platform anyways, and the two can't really be separated in practice.

that said, still think it should just be first come first serve payouts within reason, and the group in charge of the fund is just for mutual accountability in the cash part and not for voting on whether people get cash or not

and public reports of all cash flow activity should be made frequently with donors and recipients anonymized

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I agree, and the committee should be more for accountability and if there's large requests or money is tight. Also because some kind of "board" is going to be required by any state government.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

other stuff--

https://thedailytexan.com/2021/03/04/mutual-aid-continues-to-serve-communities-but-can-be-taxed-by-the-government/

https://donorbox.org/pricing looks good. this fee plus stripe fee is pretty low and gets things up and running with a few clicks

like some other poster said, if people want to run this as a committee with mutual accountability over finances, next step is: incorporate, get a corp bank account, and apply for nonprofit status.

if a committee of goons is going to be auditing payouts this sucker can't run out of someone's personal account or it's back to square zero, so gotta at minimum get a corp account set up, then hook it up to Venmo, stripe, and donorbox or whatever.

really queer Christmas posted:

I agree, and the committee should be more for accountability and if there's large requests or money is tight. Also because some kind of "board" is going to be required by any state government.

yeah, people can vote for big exceptions above the usual "just gimme cash" limit so the fund can support exceptional situations if needed

speng31b has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Oct 18, 2022

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

speng31b posted:

like some other poster said, if people want to run this as a committee with mutual accountability over finances, next step is: incorporate, get a corp bank account, and apply for nonprofit status.

if a committee of goons is going to be auditing payouts this sucker can't run out of someone's personal account or it's back to square zero, so gotta at minimum get a corp account set up, then hook it up to Venmo, stripe, and donorbox or whatever.

oof. this seems like a problem. anyone going to step up and get it going?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

JamesKPolk posted:

If this is gonna be a cross-forum fund (which, I think there is something to be said for that), than is C-SPAM the best place to post about it? GBS gets more readership, right? What about BFC? I bet they'd be a good place to recruit people w/ the various fund management expertise that people seem to want, as well as a good source of potential donors.

i'm actually relatively sure cspam is the best place just because it is the highest trafficked forum.

if this is wrong i'll take the L

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

GOD IS BED posted:

i'd do it but i dont really want my full name and address avail even to the small committee group lol so im really hoping someone else will step up.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

done. sent out PMs to prospective board members. Discord meeting on Thursday, we'll vote on the charter and hopefully elect a chairman, treasurer etc then

speng31b
May 8, 2010

GOD IS BED posted:

Lady Radia posted:

i'd do it but i dont really want my full name and address avail even to the small committee group lol so im really hoping someone else will step up.

well -- the other option is just basically do what plinkey did and keep it on someone's personal, don't incorporate, don't apply to become a nonprofit, but just add the element of anonymized public records of cash activity being published + provide much better margins by using a sane platform like stripe instead of patreon

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Calibanibal posted:

done. sent out PMs to prospective board members. Discord meeting on Thursday, we'll vote on the charter and hopefully elect a chairman, treasurer etc then

good work calibanibal, you'll go far here. don't forget we're playing the back nine this friday

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If any board members are interested in an officer position, please get me your salary requirements in writing by Thursday. Considering our planned overhead, we'll be in a position to offer very generous compensation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lady Radia posted:

i'm actually relatively sure cspam is the best place just because it is the highest trafficked forum.

if this is wrong i'll take the L

CSPAM gets the most traffic during times where there’s a lot of political things to discuss, like election season. During off-periods, not so much. GBS is higher then.

I think incorporating is a better option, myself, although I understand the hesitation for anyone to put their full names up

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Calibanibal posted:

If any board members are interested in an officer position, please get me your salary requirements in writing by Thursday. Considering our planned overhead, we'll be in a position to offer very generous compensation.

10,000 dollars a day

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

lumpentroll posted:

10,000 dollars a day
10001, bob

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

feelin so leftist right now thinking about making you the VP of finance

speng31b
May 8, 2010

another option would just be for the "committee people" to set up a joint bank account but not incorporate, not form a nonprofit, etc. slight variation of below but the committee members would need to at least trust each other enough to share personal info forming the joint account

speng31b posted:

well -- the other option is just basically do what plinkey did and keep it on someone's personal, don't incorporate, don't apply to become a nonprofit, but just add the element of anonymized public records of cash activity being published + provide much better margins by using a sane platform like stripe instead of patreon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do not think having it be in a person’s personal account is a good idea in the slightest. Way too many problems occur if something happens to that person

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lady Radia posted:

I don’t like the idea of this only bc it feels like it restricts it to CSPAM by a lot. and I’ll be honest the last 72 hours has me pretty soured on it lmao

you aren’t the only person who dislikes this subforum. a lot of people are disgusted by it, and some don’t care about its content or politics in general.

for this reason maybe it’s a good idea to have this discussion in a different subforum, like GBS, QCS, or CCCC. to maximize thread visibility and cross-forum participation, the forums announcement system, sticky threads, and banner ads could be used. keeping this in c-spam restricts it to c-spam, like you said about “what if there were c-spam thread reps.”

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I think it should be somewhere else. There's a lot of dumb interforum rivalry that should not get in the way of people getting the help they need even if that is solely due to their own reluctance to go into the TRUMO zone for real life aid. I'd say QCS, because it's neutral(ish) ground and you have to be logged in to see it

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
nobody except drama freaks reads qcs.
worrying about the placement of the thread is dumb when the fund isnt even set up yet.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

GOD IS BED posted:

nobody except drama freaks reads qcs.
worrying about the placement of the thread is dumb when the fund isnt even set up yet.

this but also it should def be in a neutral place if thats even possible

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Coupons & Deals seems like the natural place for this

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

this but also it should def be in a neutral place if thats even possible

Oddly enough Video Games is probably the most popular "neutral" board for this but it would feel really weird there.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tcc imo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CCCC is kind of a dedicated "neutral space" a lot of disparate chat threads end up in but it's not exactly the most visible place, I bet there's a lot of posters who don't even know it exists

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i guess the admins can make stickies everywhere to point to the thread if it gets put in coupons or something

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im glad this is being seriously proposed

the only thing I know about this is to put everything in that one office in deleware. that completes a magic ritual that protects you from the irs.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

several different directions this can go. my recommendation right now:

- everyone had a day to kick around ideas and research stuff
- to keep things moving today people should pick the 5-person core group
- that group can make faster decisions about which path to take to keep momentum going (with feedback from the thread, etc)

since people seem to be leaning towards potentially incorporating and forming a 501(c)(3), i guess anyone who wants to be involved should be willing to have their info made public and take the commitment seriously, since being on the board of a 501(c)(3) is public info.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Oct 18, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

thetoughestbean posted:

I do not think having it be in a person’s personal account is a good idea in the slightest. Way too many problems occur if something happens to that person

Right. I worked with a volunteer group that wound up incorporating, and according to a lawyer who volunteered for us it provided a liability shield too. Might be an apples to oranges thing, since we were a group organizing actions, and events, and meetings, but I'm just throwing out the protections flow both ways, and isn't just a matter of "Do you trust this person with the money?"
Though scale also matters, if the fund never raises more than 1k, spending a couple hundred on making it official might not be the best use of resources.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

CCCC is kind of a dedicated "neutral space" a lot of disparate chat threads end up in but it's not exactly the most visible place, I bet there's a lot of posters who don't even know it exists

if money's being given out word's going to get out, to be honest

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Right. I worked with a volunteer group that wound up incorporating, and according to a lawyer who volunteered for us it provided a liability shield too. Might be an apples to oranges thing, since we were a group organizing actions, and events, and meetings, but I'm just throwing out the protections flow both ways, and isn't just a matter of "Do you trust this person with the money?"
Though scale also matters, if the fund never raises more than 1k, spending a couple hundred on making it official might not be the best use of resources.

incorporating is absolutely a liability shield. doing it out of a personal account puts someone in a position to be potentially liable for tax on it. could you consult with a tax professional and minimize that personal risk in a number of ways? yes. but it's still a tradeoff to consider.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm gonna nominate, if they accept, speng31b as one of the members.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm gonna nominate, if they accept, speng31b as one of the members.

seconded. also would like to nominate kingcobweb.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

GOD IS BED posted:

seconded. also would like to nominate kingcobweb.

appreciate it- I don’t mind having my name on stuff because it seems privacy is a huge deal for a lot of people who want to be involved.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

No but what if they're terrorists? This is a very real and legitimate concern and no motion should happen on this fund unless it is solved to my personal satisfaction.

e; if you do not follow my demands, there will be a QCS thread I can promise you that

I hear you but as a goon who openly has their hat in their hand it's like.. idk

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Dustcat posted:

Coupons & Deals seems like the natural place for this

as someone openly asking for assistance this feels pretty hurtful. at least plinkey isn't out here saying stuff like this

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think KC is a good choice for the public face of the org, seeing as he's already "doxxed" himself.

I'm up for helping in whatever grunt work is necessary, but I try to keep my IRL self and online names seperate

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I think KC is a good choice for the public face of the org, seeing as he's already "doxxed" himself.

I'm up for helping in whatever grunt work is necessary, but I try to keep my IRL self and online names seperate

just to be clear, because i don't think i explained this well enough in my earlier post, if the 501(c)(3) route is what people wind up wanting, all of the 5 people in the "core group" would have their info on public filings. there's not much an option to form a public charitable org with less than 5 people whose names and addresses (or PO box) are on public filings. 3 is technically the bare minimum but that's getting into risk of IRS not recognizing tax exempt status territory.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Oct 18, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

can committee members receive payouts from the fund? obvious... potential problems lets call them with that, but holding that aside, I'm a little worried that that precludes the people who would potentially need the fund in the future from participating in its governance. there's a principle in harm reduction communities that goes "nothing about us without us" that I think might be worth considering here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The constitution draft has it to where the full committee must approve one of the members needing funds of any kind. Emergency cases may need to exist, however.