Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's insane they haven't done some Airtag-like location with the remote. Having kids, I have to use my phone 99% of the time because they lose that poo poo all the time, and I find it in a bedroom 2 weeks later, all while I keep getting "remote battery is getting low!!" notifications when I watch anything.

They literally announced the current 4K at the same event as the Airtag too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The newest Siri remote is a big boi too (at least compared to the previous one), so there should be plenty of room to stick an AirTag's guts in there.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

It's insane they haven't done some Airtag-like location with the remote. Having kids, I have to use my phone 99% of the time because they lose that poo poo all the time, and I find it in a bedroom 2 weeks later, all while I keep getting "remote battery is getting low!!" notifications when I watch anything.

I had a friend 3d print me a case for the remote that includes a slot for an airtag that I found online.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Revised AppleTV 4K models were just dropped on the Apple Store.

There's 2 models now with a price cut on the "base" model to $129. The "upgrade" is $20 more. Both models moved to the A15 processor (iPhone 13) and both now support HDR10+ (didn't support the + part before, I believe).

The "upgrade" has a gigabit ethernet port, support for the "Thread" smarthome protocol, and twice the storage capacity than the base model.

Unfortunately, the remote seems unchanged except for the connector moving to USB-C.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That’s a huge update, goddamn

edit: they split the lineup into wifi only and wifi and Ethernet. Interesting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Didn't the latest 4K already support Thread?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Didn't the latest 4K already support Thread?

Yes, I'm curious what the thread features the ethernet model has that the others do not because it's my understanding the previous models also supported thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea what thread even is so I’ll assume I don’t have any use for it.

I actually keep up with these things and I’ve never heard about it lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 4k already had thread support.. I've been using it happily for six months now. It also has an ethernet port. Did I buy an appleTV from the future?

I'm curious how this new version makes it better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

It makes it so all the smart home stuff is finally interoperable. It’s good poo poo.

https://www.theverge.com/23165855/thread-smart-home-protocol-matter-apple-google-interview

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

Home automation/ioT/homekit standard to get away from all the various competing ones. Also functions as a mesh I think so thread enabled devices can be a ways from the hub as long as there are other devices along the way.

The homepods also act as a thread base too iirc

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oohhh, so the "base" model had functionality stripped (ethernet, Thread support) but got a storage bump from the old base model so they could meet a $129 price point.

The "Upgrade" is just the current 4K with a processor and storage bump for a slightly lower price ($149 versus $179).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Maybe if Apple Arcade games took more advantage of it…the 2021 model has been solid for me. Watched first HDR movie though it over the weekend and seemed fine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thwomp posted:

Oohhh, so the "base" model had functionality stripped (ethernet, Thread support) but got a storage bump from the old base model so they could meet a $129 price point.

The "Upgrade" is just the current 4K with a processor and storage bump for a slightly lower price ($149 versus $179).

Ha, I totally did not think about them just straight up stripping functionality out but that does seem like the answer there. Bump processor, distract everyone with USB-C charging and bingo bango.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That’s really weird how thread support was removed on the base model, stranger than removing the ethernet port imo.

Still the overall price reduction is nice for a change.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Will absolutely buy the new 4K to replace my Shield.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently the new models are thinner and 50% lighter with no fan.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My 4k is 35mm tall and the new one is 31 so yeah they're slimmed down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It makes it so all the smart home stuff is finally interoperable. It’s good poo poo.

https://www.theverge.com/23165855/thread-smart-home-protocol-matter-apple-google-interview

Interesting.

Not sure if this new version is enough for me to upgrade my current second gen 4K though

It’s still plenty snappy just has the poo poo remote.

I’d have thought about just upgrading the remote but it’s like half the cost of a whole new box lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if this new version is enough for me to upgrade my current second gen 4K though

If you're talking about thread, you already have it. I've been using it on my 2nd gen since the spring and it's great.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP845?locale=en_US

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

How many years until the remote isn't included?

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1582451852989210626?s=20&t=o7E6XRAPNygWs9PHxhgpzA

On the plus side, allegedly there's a sub-$100 model coming at some nebulous point in the future but I wonder what they'll cut to make that happen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is your 7th ATV. You should have a remote by now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah but only the last one is any good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why do people keep buying these things? The 4K I got like 5 years ago is flawless. I can’t imagine needing anything more from a tiny box that streams movies to my TV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

This is your 7th ATV. You should have a remote by now.

There’s 6 somewhere buried in my couch though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

American McGay posted:

Why do people keep buying these things? The 4K I got like 5 years ago is flawless. I can’t imagine needing anything more from a tiny box that streams movies to my TV.

People who have the 1080p version I got like 6 years ago need to upgrade. Others get more TVs, or move from home or whatever. They really stagnate with features but they still iterate so I’m not complaining because at some point my 4K will fall out of fashion

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

American McGay posted:

The HD is showing it's age, even as just a streaming box but I fully expect to get another 6-7 years out of my 2 20214Ks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Apple releases new models because they don’t want to order a separate CPU for a niche product so they redesign it with an iPhone chip they’re still using and then make some other improvements. It’s more for their benefit than end users. Not a fan of Ethernet becoming a “premium” feature but I assume most people use it wireless.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Just nabbed a 2021 4K off the refurb store to replace my 2017 4K which will be moved to the TV currently using my old HD version which will be retired.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nice overview of the differences

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1582735821358014464

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If Apple said 'ok we'll let the 128gb model with the ethernet port* bistream plex' I would just sigh and finally pay for a replacement to the 2017 model.

* rear end in a top hat move, who the hell needs 128gb on an AppleTV?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

* rear end in a top hat move, who the hell needs 128gb on an AppleTV?
They should put a hard drive slot in it and let you use it as a time machine backup.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So the cheaper 2022 model doesn't support Thread? That seems like a dick move, especially when both storage versions of the 4K 2021 support it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

They should put a hard drive slot in it and let you use it as a time machine backup.

Now that I'd be perfectly happy with.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are we sure the 2021 AppleTV doesn't support HDR10+? It was supposedly added in tvOS 16:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/06/07/tvos-16-new-features/

Edit: Fancy Sony and LG TVs don't even support HDR10+.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 19, 2022

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This makes me feel much better about very recently getting the 2021 model on sale, there's basically no meaningful differences other than USB-C on the remote.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wonder if there's any concern about the new models overheating without a fan. I just bought two 2021 models, and they're still in the return-eligible period (one is unopened even), and I'm considering returning them for the new models. I know I don't NEED to, but it'll be nice knowing I'm future-proofed with the A15 chip, and that I won't have any lightning devices left hanging around after Apple makes the switch to USB-C on the iPhone next year(?).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just wish they'd let users output lossless audio codecs with Atmos - the Nvidia Shield is a little better at properly handling newer more fancypants audio formats. I'd upgrade my Apple TV 4K x2 in a heartbeat if they added it. Instead, I have to stream movies over Disney+ and HBO Max if I want proper Dolby Vision + Atmos.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wonder if there's any concern about the new models overheating without a fan. I just bought two 2021 models, and they're still in the return-eligible period (one is unopened even), and I'm considering returning them for the new models. I know I don't NEED to, but it'll be nice knowing I'm future-proofed with the A15 chip, and that I won't have any lightning devices left hanging around after Apple makes the switch to USB-C on the iPhone next year(?).

Absolutely not, these are phone chips remember which are solely being asked to play video and occasionally games. I'd wager someone finally realised putting a fan in the ATV was massive overkill. I didn't even know they had active cooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Absolutely not, these are phone chips remember which are solely being asked to play video and occasionally games. I'd wager someone finally realised putting a fan in the ATV was massive overkill. I didn't even know they had active cooling.

They only got a fan for the first time with the 1st gen 4K.

The bump to the A15 is powerful enough to handle the 4K streams without heating quite so much like the old chips did.