Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Black Lighter posted:

I agree that he's regressed, but I still think his flaws are being exacerbated by the scheme. How many times this year has he had to run or dance around in the pocket just because no one was open? It's an offense that currently just doesn't function unless he's buying time or making plays with his legs, and that makes it a lot easier for him to regress.
I don't know. I've become pretty convinced that most of the time when you see this it's because the quarterback is bad in the pocket. They aren't making their reads and they have no idea where the pressure is coming from. The actual instances where nobody was open, or the line got beat happen, but they are much rarer than the QB hosed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Woozie66 posted:

But did they sell it as a contender without that QB? Plus, going 2-3 still puts them at 4-6, which is spitting distance in a dogshit division.

The way I saw it being sold was that they were a QB away and this was what they needed to do because they are in a window and couldn't wait or go for a stopgap solution like Jimmy G or rolling the dice in the draft. The team directly didn't sell it this way, they focused on Watson's value alone, but media mouthpieces did and it's the way every person I saw who defended this move justified it that way. Basically the sell was this team was a QB away, but a team that's just a QB away is usually mediocre without a QB, not a bottom 5 trash fire.

2-3 puts them at 4-7. Watson would need to win four of their last 6 for them to be competitive. He won't. They'll probably win 2 of those last 6, if that. I think the question with the coaching staff isn't if, but when. Then when that inevitably doesn't work out Jimmy burns down the front office too.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Simplex posted:

I don't know. I've become pretty convinced that most of the time when you see this it's because the quarterback is bad in the pocket. They aren't making their reads and they have no idea where the pressure is coming from. The actual instances where nobody was open, or the line got beat happen, but they are much rarer than the QB hosed it.

I think you only have to go back to the game against the Raiders to show how bad the receiving situation is, tho. There were multiple instances where Kyler dropped back, stayed back there a good amount of time and then had to run with it because nobody got open. You can't run this kind of system when Hollywood Brown's your only legitimate threat at wideout, but Kingsbury seems incapable of tweaking his gameplan to adjust, and I think a lot of Kyler's regression is him just trying to make something happen in a structure that doesn't currently make a ton of sense.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Simplex posted:

A lot of it is this, Kyler bails on so many clean pockets it's insane. He just doesn't see his first read come open and decides to play hero ball despite being under no pressure and scrambles around. His OL must hate him.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Black Lighter posted:

I think you only have to go back to the game against the Raiders to show how bad the receiving situation is, tho. There were multiple instances where Kyler dropped back, stayed back there a good amount of time and then had to run with it because nobody got open. You can't run this kind of system when Hollywood Brown's your only legitimate threat at wideout, but Kingsbury seems incapable of tweaking his gameplan to adjust, and I think a lot of Kyler's regression is him just trying to make something happen in a structure that doesn't currently make a ton of sense.

Simplex posted:

well they play thursday night this week and amazon has the all-22 up so we this is a question we can start to answer

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

well they play thursday night this week and amazon has the all-22 up so we this is a question we can start to answer

lol, true, and it's TNF so there'll be plenty of bad plays to dissect

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I still think he's only warm if/when they miss the playoffs this year but he may have to sacrifice Roman mid season or in the offseason

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The 3rd quarter 4th and 2 is a pretty clear example of what I'm getting at. Seattle has a single safety high with man coverage underneath.

They try to run a simple pick play with Brown and Ertz, but Ertz can't beat his man even with the pick and Kyler comes off of it. But he doesn't recognize that Seattle has blown their coverage. One of the defenders switched and the other didn't, so Ertz is double covered but nobody is covering Brown. Which okay, fine is 4th and 2 and he had to make a decision quick and came off the read a tad too soon. poo poo happens.

Which is where the second problem is. Because Seattle didn't have a single pass rusher between the hashes. Their two interior rushers are lying on the ground, and all of the pressure is coming wide from the backside. You could drive a good-sized pickup truck through the hole in the middle of the field, and if he does he probably sees a wide open Brown crossing the field, or he can just go get 2 yards himself. Instead he tries to escape out the back of the pocket and break contain. When he can't, he just chucks the ball downfield. Turnover on downs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
seriously how long does hackett last

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

A big flaming stink posted:

I don't think he's going to get fired during the year. If Meyer last year could make it 13 games or whatever, Hackett, while comically inept, should get a full season. But then again, it's a new ownership group who didn't hire him (though they did give Russ $160 million guaranteed lmfao), so maybe that makes an in-season firing more likely. In any event, I think he's almost certainly toast after the season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A big flaming stink posted:

He didn't do anything too terrible tonight, Staley was much more frustrating from a clock management standpoint. But that offense just doesn't work, part of it is Russ being cooked sure, but even aside from that I don't think that works with your average QB.

Like plays just seem badly designed.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

denver continues to look sloppy, unprepared, and incapable of executing on offense so yea maybe fire the guy

i just want to point out that we've seen some really crafty coaching lately. The Eagles, Jets, Giants, and Falcons have all dramatically altered their offenses to match their talent. Eagles have a ton of talent top to bottom but still seeing them totally adjust the offense around Hurts capabilities is incredible. The Giants and Falcons have been torn down to the studs but they consistently field fun, weird, mildly effective offenses bc the coaches recognize what they have to work with and they adapt around that talent.

Meanwhile you have Hackett and to a lesser extent Eberflus running teams with some obvious talent that they fundamentally refuse to gameplan around or adapt to, instead forcing them into stilted schemes that straight up are not working. Eberflus is upsetting bc they could be doing very similar things on offense as Philly and they just loving refuse. Hackett is mind boggling bc they don't seem to have any identity even if its poorly matched to the talent. They're just floating from one poorly called play to another with no rhythm or point to it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Meanwhile you have Hackett and to a lesser extent Eberflus running teams with some obvious talent that they fundamentally refuse to gameplan around or adapt to

Do the Broncos actually have talent on offense? Sutton is good but not elite. Jeudy sucks, can’t catch, doesn’t even know where he’s supposed to be. Hamler is just some dude. They traded their decent tight end for Russ who is probably the biggest issue because he just flat out cannot throw the football 75% of the time.

Hackett sure isn’t doing them any favors but just on a play by play, individual effort basis they look lovely.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

syzpid posted:

Im going to lean more towards blaming the Coach who got fired from his NCAA head coaching gig, couldn't get another HC position on the college level, and yet somehow ended up an NFL head coach. Kingsbury has been in over his head the whole time.

Also who has literally never, not ONCE, completed a season of football without going on a hideous skid to end the year. Not just with the Cards, but at his college level position too.

Kingsbury is completely untrustworthy and they really need to jettison him before he scotches Kyler.

i just want to point out that we've seen some really crafty coaching lately. The Eagles, Jets, Giants, and Falcons have all dramatically altered their offenses to match their talent. Eagles have a ton of talent top to bottom but still seeing them totally adjust the offense around Hurts capabilities is incredible. The Giants and Falcons have been torn down to the studs but they consistently field fun, weird, mildly effective offenses bc the coaches recognize what they have to work with and they adapt around that talent.

Meanwhile you have Hackett and to a lesser extent Eberflus running teams with some obvious talent that they fundamentally refuse to gameplan around or adapt to, instead forcing them into stilted schemes that straight up are not working. Eberflus is upsetting bc they could be doing very similar things on offense as Philly and they just loving refuse. Hackett is mind boggling bc they don't seem to have any identity even if its poorly matched to the talent. They're just floating from one poorly called play to another with no rhythm or point to it.

Hell, look at the Vikings if you want another comparison. The Vikes have not won pretty for a month straight, non-stop close games nearly blown at the end... but they keep winning them. Kevin o'Connell is getting a lot more out of the team than Zimmer was at the end, even if it's still definitely less than I think it should be and less than they're really capable of. That was my expectation for the year, so I'll take it. Last year we would have lost all of those games and be 1-5 going into the bye instead of 5-1.

The Vikings are putting out what I'd consider a more than reasonable performance for a first-year coach, given the Ur-Average QB in Kirk Cousins and the potency of the offensive showcase. They're keeping it together, getting production out of the team, winning football games. It's not pretty yet, but it's progress.

Eberflus inherited a completely hosed Bears situation, so even though he's clearly doing a worse job than KOC, it's harder for me to criticize him as comprehensively. Hackett is just fuckin' baffling. The Broncos had an EXCEPTIONAL defense last year and not a whole lot of that changed on the surface. Yet the games don't feel like they're low-scoring because of excellent Broncos defensive efforts, it's instead like the Broncos offense is SO BAD that it exudes radiation that poisons the other team's offense and drags it down towards them. That should not be the case with a QB as capable as Russell Wilson is, or was -- this horrific year aside, he was ABSOLUTELY better than this in the past and for him to look this trash suggests more than just his own skills falling off.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 18, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Do the Broncos actually have talent on offense? Sutton is good but not elite. Jeudy sucks, can’t catch, doesn’t even know where he’s supposed to be. Hamler is just some dude. They traded their decent tight end for Russ who is probably the biggest issue because he just flat out cannot throw the football 75% of the time.

Hackett sure isn’t doing them any favors but just on a play by play, individual effort basis they look lovely.

do they have more talent than the giants? the falcons?

it looks to me like they do which then raises questions about why they're so incompetent

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Broncos Offensive talent has been vastly overrated.

Sutton is good and Patrick is pretty decent. The OL took a large step back once they started calling Bolles for holding again and the running game is rear end without Williams.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

do they have more talent than the giants? the falcons?

I don’t think so.

The Falcons have Drake London and Kyle Pitts who are both better than anyone on the Broncos offense. The Giants have Barkley, who is maybe the best in the league at his position, and run their offense through him. And I’d take Mariota or Jones over this version of Russ who is somehow slower, less decisive, and less accurate than both of those guys.

Those teams are getting better coaching too, but I think you’re overacting the Broncos talent by quite a bit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think so.

The Falcons have Drake London and Kyle Pitts who are both better than anyone on the Broncos offense. The Giants have Barkley, who is maybe the best in the league at his position, and run their offense through him. And I’d take Mariota or Jones over this version of Russ who is somehow slower, less decisive, and less accurate than both of those guys.

Those teams are getting better coaching too, but I think you’re overacting the Broncos talent by quite a bit.

idk that I am. the giants have arguably the least talented team in the league. Im not saying the broncos are world beaters but they have actual WRs which is a step up from the giants. They might only be 20% better than the giants talent wise but goddamn the coaching difference is huge.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Redeye Flight posted:

The Broncos had an EXCEPTIONAL defense last year and not a whole lot of that changed on the surface. Yet the games don't feel like they're low-scoring because of excellent Broncos defensive efforts, it's instead like the Broncos offense is SO BAD that it exudes radiation that poisons the other team's offense and drags it down towards them. That should not be the case with a QB as capable as Russell Wilson is, or was -- this horrific year aside, he was ABSOLUTELY better than this in the past and for him to look this trash suggests more than just his own skills falling off.

Russ aside, the '22 Broncos feel a lot like the '21 Panthers: a great defense that cannot overcome just how putrid the rest of the team is around it. It doesn't matter how good an unit is if the rest of the team and coaching staff is constantly setting it up for failure.

I do agree with your take on Russ, though: the wheels might be falling off, but there were still moments where he was moving the team down the field only for SOMETHING to happen that just would kill the drive. Lot of that was on him, but lot of that was also on the rest of the offense just making horrible mistakes

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The "just plug in a QB!" narrative around the Bronco's has always seemed really strange to me.

Who would you take their receiving group over just in the AFC West? I think you take Adams/Renfrow/Waller and Allen/Williams/Everett any day of the week.

Maybe you can make an argument for Sutton/Jeudy > Juju/MVS? But the Chiefs have Andy Reid calling plays for Mahomes and Kelce, so it doesn't matter.

What are they supposed to be plugging a QB in to achieve with this group? To maybe finish above the Raiders?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Give Mahomes Sutton and Jeudy and he hits 50 a game every game

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm beginning to come around to the idea that Russ may have permanently hosed his throwing mechanics last year too. He started to look "back" at the end of the season but his deep balls have been uncharacteristically awful this year. He had a terrible underthrow last night that was caught because the receiver was wide open. Even in week one the sole deep shot he hit against Seattle was an underthrow that Jeudy just went back and won. I wonder if the perfect arc moonball is gone for good. As much as it benefits my team, that's a sad prospect. There aren't many prettier plays in football.

But in any case I agree that the offense has zero cohesion. It's tough to tell what the vision for it is. Hackett is just awful.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The broncos also got rid of one of the best OL coaches and well

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think the future looks terrific for the Falcons. The coach looks like they know what they are doing. They will have a decent pick position this draft. Next year the will have London Pitts and Ridley.

If Atlanta hits on a qb this offseason then I can see them being real good in 2024.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think the future looks terrific for the Falcons. The coach looks like they know what they are doing. They will have a decent pick position this draft. Next year the will have London Pitts and Ridley.

If Atlanta hits on a qb this offseason then I can see them being real good in 2024.

The Ridley suspension is technically indefinite

Rog gonna put his foot down

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

RIP Ridley, should have done something less egregious but his crime was the unholiest in the eyes of our league

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

They drafted Ridder earlier this year. I don’t think they’re going to have a high enough pick to take one of the top guys so I assume they’ll be rolling with him next year if they want to move away from Mariota.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I havent done a deep dive on it but I feel like Tannehill has taken a bit of a step back since Arthur Smith took the Atlanta job, so I have to wonder if Arthur was the key cog in Tannehill being really good for his first few seasons in Tennessee? If so I wonder what kind of work he'll be able to do with Ridder.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

RIP Ridley, should have done something less egregious but his crime was the unholiest in the eyes of our league

Yep. Now don't forget to bet on the games through official NFL partner SportsBook!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They drafted Ridder earlier this year. I don’t think they’re going to have a high enough pick to take one of the top guys so I assume they’ll be rolling with him next year if they want to move away from Mariota.

I think they could do some fun things with Ridder and hope he starts at some point this year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pron on VHS posted:

Give Mahomes Sutton and Jeudy and he hits 50 a game every game

50 what?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Drops

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent done a deep dive on it but I feel like Tannehill has taken a bit of a step back since Arthur Smith took the Atlanta job, so I have to wonder if Arthur was the key cog in Tannehill being really good for his first few seasons in Tennessee? If so I wonder what kind of work he'll be able to do with Ridder.

A lot of that is due to not having AJ Brown and Julio Jones for parts of 2021, and the O-Line becoming garbage this year. That said, Tannehill's still fine and not close to the main issue with the current Tits offense, but a large part is that our current OC is also bad while Smith was a big reason the Titans took a step forward on offense (though Tannehill being more aggressive than Mariota and having AJ Brown helped a ton).

Arthur Smith seems to be figuring things out and has the Falcons playing well. Mariota seems like a slightly improved version of his Tennessee self, and he has good weapons to work with and a good defense to help him out. No clue how Ridder will do but I think if he has talent Smith is one of the better coaches to bring it out of him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mega64 posted:

A lot of that is due to not having AJ Brown and Julio Jones for parts of 2021, and the O-Line becoming garbage this year. That said, Tannehill's still fine and not close to the main issue with the current Tits offense, but a large part is that our current OC is also bad while Smith was a big reason the Titans took a step forward on offense (though Tannehill being more aggressive than Mariota and having AJ Brown helped a ton).

Arthur Smith seems to be figuring things out and has the Falcons playing well. Mariota seems like a slightly improved version of his Tennessee self, and he has good weapons to work with and a good defense to help him out. No clue how Ridder will do but I think if he has talent Smith is one of the better coaches to bring it out of him.
Cool, thank you for the additional information, that makes a lot of sense. I've been really impressed with how Arthur Smith has managed to keep the Falcons competitive and playing hard despite having a lot of holes and being up against the cap.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah Smith has done a bang up job. Excited to see what he does when he gets Patterson back and what he does next year with a new qb (or possibly what he magically turns Ridder into).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hah, wow, 4 of the top 8 highest cap hits on the Falcons this year are 1st round picks that are still on their rookie contracts. Matt Ryan is only a dead cap hit this year, for 40mil, and the Falcons have total dead cap of 77mil, cripes. They will have 60+mil in free cap space next year. I guess next year there will be some more pressure for Smith to be good rather than scrappy.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hah, wow, 4 of the top 8 highest cap hits on the Falcons this year are 1st round picks that are still on their rookie contracts. Matt Ryan is only a dead cap hit this year, for 40mil, and have a total dead cap hit of 77mil, cripes. They will have 60+mil in free cap space next year. I guess next year there will be some more pressure for Smith to be good rather than scrappy.

They really lucked out with Cleveland going full moron mode with Watson.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I really want Shane Steichen to be the Panthers head coach next year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Get your grabby hands off my OC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

shyduck posted:

Get your grabby hands off my OC

But we neeeeeeed him.