Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

[...] a fix for the thing where you get sent back to the top of the page if you fullscreen a video.

other people posted:

Is there an option to toggle embedding of tiktok videos? It seems to be missing from the list of toggles.
I'm attempting to work on these! We'll see how long that takes :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thank you for looking into it!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ZombieApostate posted:

What it looked like when I first looked at it. Swapped it to the other option and now it seems like it works.

I'm guessing the one that doesn't work is a replacement that lineageos uses in order to not rely on Google's stuff.

handle posted:

Thanks for looking! Yeah, unfortunately there may not be much to do other than hope an update gets Lineage's version to play nice with Awful.

Can confirm, my LineageOS is fully un-Googled so I only have the bottom webview available.

I will look into installing an alternative WebView such as Bromite and report if it works better.

Edit: Bromite Webview doesn't have the problem! After looking at the available methods, I used this to install it. Much faster than Magisk et al., only required rooted USB debugging.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 27, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Feature Request: Can search results be retained for the session (or until next search, whichever happens first). Basically, if I search for something, I'd like to be able to look at multiple posts without having to redo my search from scratch each time.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Feature Request: Can search results be retained for the session (or until next search, whichever happens first). Basically, if I search for something, I'd like to be able to look at multiple posts without having to redo my search from scratch each time.
This is a great idea and I think it's beyond my skills to implement right now, just FYI. Hopefully someone has a clearer picture of Android architecture and can make this reality.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv I'll look into it later this week! Trick is if I can emulate it

handle fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 6, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Does this app already have a themed icon for android 13?

This got rather lost amongst the pull to refresh issues but would still be a nice thing to have

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Was having an issue where

- embedded Twitter videos play very choppily
- thumbnail images can't be expanded
- spoiler text can't be revealed without highlighting
- 3 dots in top right of a post can't be clicked on

Uninstalled android system webview, reinstalled, closed and reopened awful app and everything working fine now.

Galaxy S21 w stock OS and chrome was up to date. Hopefully it helps someone else w same issue :)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ascii genitals posted:

Was having an issue where

- embedded Twitter videos play very choppily
- thumbnail images can't be expanded
- spoiler text can't be revealed without highlighting
- 3 dots in top right of a post can't be clicked on

Uninstalled android system webview, reinstalled, closed and reopened awful app and everything working fine now.

Galaxy S21 w stock OS and chrome was up to date. Hopefully it helps someone else w same issue :)

I'm also having the embedded Twitter video issue, but not any of the others. S22 Ultra, Android 12, Chrome up to date.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

It's likely Twitter messing around with their embed code. If you have an example page I'm happy to take a look, but I probably won't be able to fix it or even reproduce it because historically the issue is on Twitter's end. [Edit: good news is Twitter does eventually fix the issue most of the time.]

handle fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 10, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the issue pop up on my iPad Mini as well, so it likely has nothing to do with the app and more likely twitter being twitter.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Reporting in that the spoiler text, 3 dots, avatar expansion, and timg are broken for me too. Android system webview version is 105.0.5195.136 and the play store claims I'm up to date. Android 13 on a Pixel 5.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the issue pop up on my iPad Mini as well, so it likely has nothing to do with the app and more likely twitter being twitter.

I have not had any missing functionality but I also do not have any embeds turned on

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm having problems with Twitter, imgur embeds not loading as well as refreshing my bookmarks not working. Either it won't load or eventually will load very choppy. Using a Pixel 4a with Android 13, happening on both cell and WiFi. The problem has been happening for a week or two but really bad suddenly today.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Whatever is going on, swapping my phone to a Pixel 7 seems to have fixed it.

effika posted:

Reporting in that the spoiler text, 3 dots, avatar expansion, and timg are broken for me too. Android system webview version is 105.0.5195.136 and the play store claims I'm up to date. Android 13 on a Pixel 5.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'm having these problems again too for no immediately obvious reason.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

effika posted:

Awful.apk - swapping my phone to a Pixel 7 seems to have fixed it.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

effika posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, I wasn't able to replicate this on an emulator. Glad the device change made a difference! I'm sure everyone with issues has already tried this, but I'd try dismissing the Awful app and rebooting the device entirely to make sure the app is using the most recent WebView implementation.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm having these problems again too for no immediately obvious reason.
Any idea if your device had a WebView update recently? Are you able to enable developer options to see what is your WebView implementation is? On stock Android it should show up under Developer Options > WebView implementation.

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm having problems with Twitter, imgur embeds not loading as well as refreshing my bookmarks not working. Either it won't load or eventually will load very choppy. Using a Pixel 4a with Android 13, happening on both cell and WiFi. The problem has been happening for a week or two but really bad suddenly today.
If you access SA using a browser, are there any slowdowns or is there any indication that Cloudflare is throwing up a delay or a challenge for the device? Problems happening both on data and WiFi make it super unlikely but thought I'd ask.

edit: btw I'm sorry my troubleshooting isn't super helpful, I just haven't been able to get any of these issues to actually show up using virtual Android 13 devices :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

handle posted:

Any idea if your device had a WebView update recently? Are you able to enable developer options to see what is your WebView implementation is? On stock Android it should show up under Developer Options > WebView implementation.

I checked it and WebView hasn't updated since September 20. (v106.0.5249.79)

I did just install a LineageOS update, which may imply that the issue is something changing on that end.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

handle posted:

If you access SA using a browser, are there any slowdowns or is there any indication that Cloudflare is throwing up a delay or a challenge for the device? Problems happening both on data and WiFi make it super unlikely but thought I'd ask.

edit: btw I'm sorry my troubleshooting isn't super helpful, I just haven't been able to get any of these issues to actually show up using virtual Android 13 devices :(

There's no slowdown on browser (Chrome). And honestly it's fine right now so who knows.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

FWIW... I am on a Pixel 5 with Android 13 and WebView 105.0.5195.136 (same as OP above). Avatars, three dots, and spoiler tags all work fine for me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Looking this over, I just noticed that Developer Options shows that the system is using WebView 106, while the version of WebView installed via the Play Store is 105. The 105 version isn't an option for me in the Dev Options menu.

Is it possible that the trouble arises whenever someone is using WebView 106, but that this isn't always obvious because the system insists on using the later version if that's what it came bundled with, even if another version is installed via the Play Store?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm on a Pixel 5 with Chrome 106 and Webview 105 and everything works.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've also got the three dots not working bug. Webview 106 Chrome 106 on a Samsung Galaxy 20 fe.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Are all people with the three dots not working on lineage os or just some?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
For me, I was on stock Android 13.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Looking this over, I just noticed that Developer Options shows that the system is using WebView 106, while the version of WebView installed via the Play Store is 105. The 105 version isn't an option for me in the Dev Options menu.

Is it possible that the trouble arises whenever someone is using WebView 106, but that this isn't always obvious because the system insists on using the later version if that's what it came bundled with, even if another version is installed via the Play Store?

I have a similar setup and was having the same issue, however the play store version just updated to 106 which is now a selectable option again in developer options and I can once again reveal spoilers and tap the three dot menu.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

I have a similar setup and was having the same issue, however the play store version just updated to 106 which is now a selectable option again in developer options and I can once again reveal spoilers and tap the three dot menu.

...same!

So it seems like the issue may not be "LineageOS" but "any distribution of Android with bundled WebView with a higher version number than the one available in the Play Store."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just a heads up that I've been noticing some weird behavior with forums search in the app lately. It seems to work fine in some threads, but in others it gives me zero results when I know there should be some matches (and have confirmed this using the forum's browser interface).

Specific example: searching this thread for "principle" returns nothing in the app, but using the same "threadid:3745614 principle" search in a browser gives me a page of results. I thought at first there might be a date issue since they're posts from last year or earlier, but I've replicated it in other threads with posts from this month.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm running stock android 12 with the august 1 2022 update

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Err, august 27 update. Would edit but phone posting and, well, the button issue

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just a heads up that I've been noticing some weird behavior with forums search in the app lately. It seems to work fine in some threads, but in others it gives me zero results when I know there should be some matches (and have confirmed this using the forum's browser interface).
Are you upgraded to Awful.apk version 3.8.15? There was a fix for a similar problem that went out maybe a monthish ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

handle posted:

Are you upgraded to Awful.apk version 3.8.15? There was a fix for a similar problem that went out maybe a monthish ago.

Ah, there it is! Thank you, I'm usually good about updating first but I could've sworn I'd checked recently.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

effika posted:

Whatever is going on, swapping my phone to a Pixel 7 seems to have fixed it.
Awful app locking up when minimized for more than 2 hours was fixed by this method.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I've noticed today that I can't click on any image thumbnails. If I long press,I still get no response. I have restarted my phone (Galaxy S22 Ultra), checked for update to the app and still have the same problem. I have the October 4th Android update. Please help.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can you still use the three dots button or unspoiler the spoiler text?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
No. Had to make a new reply because I couldn't quote yours.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I can click start and pause on MP4s in the gif thread though

handle
Jan 20, 2011

If you're having issues, I think all of these should be affected simultaneously:
  • No three-dot menu
  • Can't expand poster information/avatar
  • Can't enlarge [timg]s
  • Quoting won't work
  • Spoilers won't be revealed on tap
  • Long press on images doesn't work
If you're not experiencing all of these issues at the same time, please let me know!

[edited out: debug APK that didn't fix the issue]

handle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 20, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That's the second mention of long pressing an image being supposed to do anything and I've never seen that in over ten years. What is it supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Handle I can't do any of those things. I don't have any ignored users so I can't speak to that, but the other things are all failing. It seems like it started yesterday out of the blue.