Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea well we get two extra days off a year if we get a 5 on our annual review. They changed it a year or two ago that your numbers in certain areas had to be 110% or something stupid to get a 5. Literally made it impossible to get the two days off.

My company just audited themselves and said we're working at 125% efficiency this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

If it's an off the shelf part from a vendor with a known manufacturer and no alternatives you can usually use the vendor P/N and their name as the primary spec and be good to go, like "LRZ0805-R000_Welwyn" would be a completely viable spec so long as there's an easy to obtain data sheet on the part.

It's an off the shelf part. It's branded. Famous brand. The brand's website has no information on the part number, or anything like it that I can find in their catalog. I'm guessing it's not actually made by that company, and it's just rebranded. Searches for the part number just lead back to the distributor. Maybe it's a distributor exclusive? Procurement actually had a datasheet for it, from the distributor, with the specs I need.

Why do we source things this way? I have no idea.

This spec is important to the system my boss is trying to kludge together with poo poo off Amazon or wherever. I tried to ask him about the specs we're missing before, and that fell on deaf ears. Now some vendor he found is asking the same questions and all of a sudden he's listening.

He's asking the vendor if they are in the US, to which they're responding "Oh yes of course. Our headquarters is in the US. And a warehouse too!" Signed Sara Li with a Chinese phone number. Probably not related to this at all, I'm getting random Chinese vendors emailing me.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

God drat it. Fuckin restaurant manager hasn't cleaned the lines for a month. Well he cleaned the guest taps.

This is part of why I took over tap cleaning - the guy we used to hire was terribly unreliable, but would usually show up half an hour before open on a Friday and do a rush job on everything, and he charged an arm and a leg for it. We finally stopped using him after he stopped wearing a mask during COVID and refused to put one on. I spend 4 hours once every two weeks to disassemble and clean the taps, couplers and gaskets, and do a long clean and rinse on the lines. Saves the company money and everything gets properly, thoroughly cleaned on the regular. If I thought any of the bar staff would be reliable about doing it, I'd train one of them to do it, but lol at getting any of the bartenders here that far ahead of their shift.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's an off the shelf part. It's branded. Famous brand. The brand's website has no information on the part number, or anything like it that I can find in their catalog. I'm guessing it's not actually made by that company, and it's just rebranded. Searches for the part number just lead back to the distributor. Maybe it's a distributor exclusive? Procurement actually had a datasheet for it, from the distributor, with the specs I need.

Why do we source things this way? I have no idea.

This spec is important to the system my boss is trying to kludge together with poo poo off Amazon or wherever. I tried to ask him about the specs we're missing before, and that fell on deaf ears. Now some vendor he found is asking the same questions and all of a sudden he's listening.

He's asking the vendor if they are in the US, to which they're responding "Oh yes of course. Our headquarters is in the US. And a warehouse too!" Signed Sara Li with a Chinese phone number. Probably not related to this at all, I'm getting random Chinese vendors emailing me.

There's a possibility the distributor did some sort of last time buy and the OEM sold the design off. It happens all the time with outdated electronic components. I think I get what your boss is trying to do by breaking parts into their specs, it's great for raw materials or components that fall under industry standards like a valve or something, but complete crap for engineered items. Sure, an Ethernet switch does have some electronic specs behind it governing it's functions, but that doesn't mean I can use a Tripp-Lite in place of a Netgear or vice versa. Why? No loving clue, sometimes the programs we ran were coded with a very specific setup and if you had one thing different it would gently caress everything up. It got to the point where I pointed out I could bulk buy six foot cables and save money instead of buying some five and some six and got shot down because they tried it before and the ports didn't work right.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

zedprime posted:

Did he clean the guest lines or did the beer distributor do it? Because either the guest lines are somewhere easier to clean, someone else did it, or else the vendetta is on.

He did it. There's nothing special about the placement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would love to meet the judge that ordered a bunch of retirees to bottle bourbon all day.

Honorable Judge Daniels

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

This is part of why I took over tap cleaning - the guy we used to hire was terribly unreliable, but would usually show up half an hour before open on a Friday and do a rush job on everything, and he charged an arm and a leg for it. We finally stopped using him after he stopped wearing a mask during COVID and refused to put one on. I spend 4 hours once every two weeks to disassemble and clean the taps, couplers and gaskets, and do a long clean and rinse on the lines. Saves the company money and everything gets properly, thoroughly cleaned on the regular. If I thought any of the bar staff would be reliable about doing it, I'd train one of them to do it, but lol at getting any of the bartenders here that far ahead of their shift.

Yeah. I guess this will just have to be how it is. The issue is the restaurant opens at noon. I guess I just have to watch out for my beers from now on.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Busy af at work. Unlimited OT. Hitting due dates.

And here's a 150 piece order for massive assemblies, shove that in the middle.

Uhh, ok this could work. It'll be tight.

Start working on it, 2 weeks go by.

Boss: Hey I'm gonna bid on another order of the same size for the same people with the same due date.

Fucccck. I told him were now at this is gonna be a pain in the rear end levels of busy. Don't. He gonna.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Background: we are trying to start up a factory in another location, they have yet to deliver a product, but my head count is being slashed because they assume this factory will produce all our product 2 years from now and we'll go back to R&D. They do not have the resources to produce jack or poo poo, they have a many employees as my shift alone, and there's three shifts here, they are supposed to have 3x the output as us. They are also located almost as geographically distant from us as possible in the contiguous 48.

2 months ago: "Elviscat, get a list of everyone willing to fly to our factory in (the Taint of the American South) they'll need our support"

1 month ago: "hey boss, any word on flying people to (T.A.S.)?" "No, they've stated they don't want our help, we're not going"

Today: "Elviscat, we know you have covid and are stuck home, but we need volunteers to fly to (T.A.S.) this weekend. Also you need to fly down there every other week until they're producing product"

Cool, coolcoolcool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So you are spending most of your time tidying up that resume and applying/interviewing, right?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Day two of being told I am being moved to a new role I didn't ask for: Nothing has changed, but I also didn't check with the guy to see what was happening and am just going to let him deal with it. I don't have a manager right now, one of our people is being promoted to the role on Monday and I'm falling directly under our associate director until that's set up and she didn't mention anything to me when we talked today or yesterday, so it's possible it has to run up the chain at a higher level and then trickle back down to her.

I have had to explain to an older guy multiple times that you can't just say "I want a quote on these parts" out loud to make it happen. Two meetings in a row where he's simply stunned that there aren't any quotes out for parts he wants to have on order and I've pushed him on it both times about where that request is even coming from. "We need the parts!" OK, great, where is that demand coming from "Why does it have to come from anywhere? I need them!" I'm so tired of these guys who think we still work on those terms despite the last 10+ years of the company instituting a million little systems and large changes to processes to stop that sort of thing. Most of the people within ten years of me are just fine with working in the current environment, but anyone beyond that is just incapable of understanding there's a whole process to do anything and that complaining to me won't do anything because I'm essentially the last person who touches things, all of it should be done by the time I'm involved.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

There's a possibility the distributor did some sort of last time buy and the OEM sold the design off. It happens all the time with outdated electronic components. I think I get what your boss is trying to do by breaking parts into their specs, it's great for raw materials or components that fall under industry standards like a valve or something, but complete crap for engineered items. Sure, an Ethernet switch does have some electronic specs behind it governing it's functions, but that doesn't mean I can use a Tripp-Lite in place of a Netgear or vice versa. Why? No loving clue, sometimes the programs we ran were coded with a very specific setup and if you had one thing different it would gently caress everything up. It got to the point where I pointed out I could bulk buy six foot cables and save money instead of buying some five and some six and got shot down because they tried it before and the ports didn't work right.

It's nothing like that.
He's looking for a performance spec. It's on the drawing for the old part. It's on the distributor's data sheet for the new part. It's not on the drawing for the new part because whoever released it just copied whatever was in the catalog listing and didn't bother with a data sheet or even looking at the old part drawing to understand what specs might be required.
The fact that procurement came up with a data sheet so quickly must mean that someone else had asked for something like this before. And our infallible documentation system of just some PDF sitting on someone's hard drive continues on.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I had a buddy who worked at Two Brothers for a minute, he fuckin hated that place

Think it was somehow still better than New Belgium though

poo poo, what's wrong with New Belgium? I like their beer and toured the brewery back in 2015. Everything seemed cool then.

edit: aw gently caress, just read the rest of the posts. They seemed pretty proud about being employee owned back then. Is this when all of the art changed to skeletons?

gwarm01 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 14, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Today I learned that one of the companies we regulate is named "This Time We Did It Right Inc". I am currently counting the days until they have a compliance issue.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

Day two of being told I am being moved to a new role I didn't ask for: Nothing has changed, but I also didn't check with the guy to see what was happening and am just going to let him deal with it. I don't have a manager right now, one of our people is being promoted to the role on Monday and I'm falling directly under our associate director until that's set up and she didn't mention anything to me when we talked today or yesterday, so it's possible it has to run up the chain at a higher level and then trickle back down to her.

I have had to explain to an older guy multiple times that you can't just say "I want a quote on these parts" out loud to make it happen. Two meetings in a row where he's simply stunned that there aren't any quotes out for parts he wants to have on order and I've pushed him on it both times about where that request is even coming from. "We need the parts!" OK, great, where is that demand coming from "Why does it have to come from anywhere? I need them!" I'm so tired of these guys who think we still work on those terms despite the last 10+ years of the company instituting a million little systems and large changes to processes to stop that sort of thing. Most of the people within ten years of me are just fine with working in the current environment, but anyone beyond that is just incapable of understanding there's a whole process to do anything and that complaining to me won't do anything because I'm essentially the last person who touches things, all of it should be done by the time I'm involved.

I loving hate old people. Sorry but you have to learn things change.

So many times we get people calling in about something we need to look at. An oil spill or stranded wildlife or a car in the river.
Where is it?
Oh it's near *place*
Okay, but where is it?
Okay so you go down x road and it's a little past x house.
What house? What's the address? Can you show me on a map? Can you give me the coordinates?
Oh I don't understand that stuff
Do you have a smartphone?
yes
Okay open up maps, find where it is and click on it, send me a pin
Oh I don't understand all that stuff
Okay I can walk you through it
No, I don't get that stuff sorry

Just idiot learned helplessness and flat-out refusal to even try. gently caress em.

In completely unrelated news, today instead of working on a desperately needed grant application I spent two hours driving around looking for an oil spill 'Near the river on a sharp turn near x road'. No the person passing it on didn't get a number. The road is nowhere near the river so there's probably all sorts of poo poo pouring into fish habitat and no one knows where it is. Great job fucknuts well done.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Smart phones are designed to be insanely intuitive and you could give it to a time traveling caveman and he’d be fine and chilling on angry birds within like 4 hours

Those kinds of people think being stupid and basic and resisting learning is a personality

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Smart phones are designed to be insanely intuitive and you could give it to a time traveling caveman and he’d be fine and chilling on angry birds within like 4 hours

Those kinds of people think being stupid and basic and resisting learning is a personality

People will pick weird things to just decide not to learn.
My dad picked up using an Echo and a Kindle within minutes of picking them up, but couldn't figure out a smart phone if you held a gun to his head. He decided he wasn't going to learn one of those and that was it.

I wrote my review today, I did quite well. I work well with my teammates, I'm there when things need doing, I go above and beyond on my role. A solid "meets expectations" all around.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

CitizenKain posted:

People will pick weird things to just decide not to learn.

My grandmother wanted to learn online banking, and she straight up refused to use her password. I tried to sign in when the password that was written down for her, and I couldn't log in so I was confused. I was like, "isn't your password 'Password!'? Why isn't it working?" and she was just like "I figured I could log in with 'password' instead." Then we couldn't unlock her account because she didn't have her email password. I'm not sure why we didn't have security questions, but whatever, I was over it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Claiming not to understand the concept of passwords when 'whats the secret password?' is a phrase used by every human child for probably hundreds of years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

YeahTubaMike posted:

My grandmother wanted to learn online banking, and she straight up refused to use her password. I tried to sign in when the password that was written down for her, and I couldn't log in so I was confused. I was like, "isn't your password 'Password!'? Why isn't it working?" and she was just like "I figured I could log in with 'password' instead." Then we couldn't unlock her account because she didn't have her email password. I'm not sure why we didn't have security questions, but whatever, I was over it.

This was when I realized that my mother was beginning her dementia spiral. She'd call with increasing frequency because she couldn't remember her online banking password.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

This was when I realized that my mother was beginning her dementia spiral. She'd call with increasing frequency because she couldn't remember her online banking password.

This post made me realize I have had dementia since I lost a gold party hat by forgetting a RuneScape password when I was 11.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's nothing like that.
He's looking for a performance spec. It's on the drawing for the old part. It's on the distributor's data sheet for the new part. It's not on the drawing for the new part because whoever released it just copied whatever was in the catalog listing and didn't bother with a data sheet or even looking at the old part drawing to understand what specs might be required.
The fact that procurement came up with a data sheet so quickly must mean that someone else had asked for something like this before. And our infallible documentation system of just some PDF sitting on someone's hard drive continues on.

I feel like McMaster Carr had a part in this assessment. At the very least they list all their specs right on their site.

I asked my wife what the deal was with my new job and apparently I will need to wait until November or December before anything happens. From what I've been told I am expected to unfuck five to ten different vendors with a variety of product focuses. My offer to introduce my new boss to a PCB site (I told him about one of my vendors in my last job) is apparently going to gently caress my winter vacation. At least I get to go to California for New Year's.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't mind so much if you drop by my office for small talk and chit chat. Haha, yeah, the weekend sure was too short. Yeah, I didn't do anything this weekend either [I will never let you into my personal life]. Yeah, can't wait for next weekend. Yeah, four Mondays then a Friday then freedom, you are right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just don't steer the conversation toward how you thought Taylor Swift was hot when she was 17 and you were disappointed when she got fat.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Salami Surgeon posted:

I don't mind so much if you drop by my office for small talk and chit chat. Haha, yeah, the weekend sure was too short. Yeah, I didn't do anything this weekend either [I will never let you into my personal life]. Yeah, can't wait for next weekend. Yeah, four Mondays then a Friday then freedom, you are right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Just don't steer the conversation toward how you thought Taylor Swift was hot when she was 17 and you were disappointed when she got fat.

Could be worse, could be your 40 year old coworker flexing his encyclopedic knowledge of the Hannah Montana show.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Got back from a long weekend hiking and hitting hit springs. It was good to clear my head. Wonder when the restaurant manager is going to drag me back down to some bullshit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Could be worse, could be your 40 year old coworker flexing his encyclopedic knowledge of the Hannah Montana show.

When I was 40 I knew a LOT about Hannah Montana.

Because I watched it with my daughters.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

We can't hire anyone to lessen the workload put on one of our most likely points of failure, because it would take too much time away from that workload to train someone new to help. The entire process is written out step by step and takes maybe one day to go over, btw. (Along with the implication we can't afford to pay less than $50k/yr, including benefits and everything else, for one more person for the company since we're "at our staffing limit".)

Sometimes I wish I could see the train of thought in play. Other times I'm worried I'd get brain damage by proximity to how dumb the train of thought is.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SkyeAuroline posted:

We can't hire anyone to lessen the workload put on one of our most likely points of failure, because it would take too much time away from that workload to train someone new to help. The entire process is written out step by step and takes maybe one day to go over, btw. (Along with the implication we can't afford to pay less than $50k/yr, including benefits and everything else, for one more person for the company since we're "at our staffing limit".)

Sometimes I wish I could see the train of thought in play. Other times I'm worried I'd get brain damage by proximity to how dumb the train of thought is.

Get an MBA and then you'll understand. (It's just a lobotomy).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

RocketMermaid posted:

At least Two Brothers didn't vote to sell out to a company that's complicit in Myanmar's genocide of the Rohingya people.

Ouch, that sucks...I hadn't had New Belgium in a few years, but used to like their seasonal pumpkin beer. Last time I even saw it for sale was around maybe 2016-17 though, legit tasted like fizzy pumpkin pie :(

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So the company has completely hosed up DPAS (US government contract rated) orders over the last few years and there's a new set of policies in place that are supposed to make things better. I stupidly tried to support a coworker in looking into why some of her parts had the wrong DPAS information in our supplier-facing site and found that every part and order the supplier can see has the wrong information. This is a near impossible situation. If a part has both a government and commercial use the portal shows the supplier the opposite of what it should. I get to meet with the VP of Compliance tomorrow and the guy who runs all of our global ops is apparently interested in what I find. I messaged the guy who said he was moving me to his org chart yesterday to see how soon that started because this is probably several months of work to fix and I'll be responsible as the person who found the issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

I'll be responsible as the person who found the issue.

Wait what? Why would anyone admit to finding any issue at all ever if this is a thing? Why did you?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Motronic posted:

Wait what? Why would anyone admit to finding any issue at all ever if this is a thing? Why did you?

"Reported issues are at an all-time low this quarter!" -- manager who is about to be given a bonus

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Motronic posted:

Because when DPAS stuff became a problem I was put in charge of our team's related problems.

I am still expected to leave my position in the next month is this is all less concerning to me than it should be.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

Because when DPAS stuff became a problem I was put in charge of our team's related problems.

I am still expected to leave my position in the next month is this is all less concerning to me than it should be.

Are you the company's only expert on Double Penetration As a Service?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Agents are GO! posted:

well there’s clearly gotta be at least two

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Another bottling day, another chance for the machine to decide not to work. I hate these loving gas line couplers they use here in Japan they're so prone to failure and breakage.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

majestic12 posted:

well there’s clearly gotta be at least two

They could be getting by with one expert and some trainees. :colbert:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Agents are GO! posted:

Something something penetration testing

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Atopian posted:

Something something penetration testing

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

Another bottling day, another chance for the machine to decide not to work. I hate these loving gas line couplers they use here in Japan they're so prone to failure and breakage.

Can you import some inferior American junk?