Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
first brand of cigarettes i bought on the reg was camel turkish jades. i was 15 years old. goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sydin posted:

-30 is a progressive tax on the rich which is good, but basically all the money collected will be flipped into handouts to Lyft/Uber/car manufacturers, ostensibly to build out EV's and EV charging infrastructure but they'll probably just use it to pad executive bonuses.

is it a handout, exactly? the pete rates explanation say that yeah, it's something that lyft and uber ostensibly have to do, but also something they can't really do directly, since they don't own the cars. in practice, i'd expect that a state enforcement action saying "you just have to buy all your drivers EVs" is unlikely, so absent 30, the requirement just sits in legal limbo and does nothing at worst, or maybe gets stuck in a drawn out legal battle at best. im unclear on how the money would go to lyft/uber/GM et al. directly for them to spend on enriching themselves PG&E style

there's functionally no way to do auto purchase subsidies in a way that doesn't indirectly subsidize vehicle manufacturers, but eh, cynically, so goeth corporate welfare in america as usual. at least it's corporate welfare to encourage people to switch away from gas-powered vehicles.

as much as i'd vote for it, there's no prop to abolish most private car ownership and force people onto buses and trains that don't exist yet, and it'd fail if there was. i'd prefer 30 with a gradual shift to transit subsidies, but as an imperfect stopgap, it doesn't seem as nakedly pro-corporate as 22 was

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

wow i underestimated the loyalty to menthols

it's kind of like if my liquor store stopped carrying cerveza randomly. i might end up buying the Coors light but I'm going to be really loving mad about it and i would be willing to pay a premium for the Modelo or drive out of my way etc.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

octa almost had a bus strike but it was averted in the morning.

The e-mail blast that reported the disruption was around 4 pm sunday, saying that monday was gonna get screwed

The notification that the strike was on hold was around 1 am this morning.

it's stuff like this that makes it hard for people to ditch their cars entirely.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The reason you vote yes on 31 is because gently caress every corporate lobbyist that gets sad mad that the legislature didn't do what they wanted and runs to the voters to try to trick them into overriding their own elected representatives.

loving corporate backed ballot initiatives should be banned.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Family Values posted:

The reason you vote yes on 31 is because gently caress every corporate lobbyist that gets sad mad that the legislature didn't do what they wanted and runs to the voters to try to trick them into overriding their own elected representatives.

corporations are people my friend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

it's kind of like if my liquor store stopped carrying cerveza randomly. i might end up buying the Coors light but I'm going to be really loving mad about it and i would be willing to pay a premium for the Modelo or drive out of my way etc.

and yet u claim to be poor

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
meanwhile i, a rich big city liberal, drink pbr. WOW

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

and yet u claim to be poor

Mexican comes before the poor and retard and redneck parts of my self identity op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Mexican comes before the poor and retard and redneck parts of my self identity op

when i was in mexico last u could get some weird local beer for like $0.10 US and me and the boys drank many cases. cigarettes were also like $3 or something but they sucked rear end. actually every cigarette ive bought outside the usa has been utter dog poo poo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Family Values posted:

didnt we already prove this with the cash bail poo poo last election

i mean, sure, they should, but that aint happening in the slightest barring a radical change in SCOTUS jurisprudence that says Citizens United was wrong and then some

Smythe posted:

meanwhile i, a rich big city liberal, drink pbr. WOW

bullshit, i cant remember the last time i saw retail PBR available in CA. it's all modelo and then like one case of pacifico (idgi, pacifico is better and should be the mexican lager of choice but good luck finding a 12pack can case half the time)

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 18, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The bars I frequent have pbr on tap.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

VSOKUL girl posted:

bullshit, i cant remember the last time i saw retail PBR available in CA. it's all modelo and then like one case of pacifico (idgi, pacifico is better and should be the mexican lager of choice but good luck finding a 12pack can case half the time)

tis stocked in 12 and 18 at my local liquor store my friend. used to be $9.99 before the roni but now its like 11 or 12 or smth. bullshit

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's cool how many industries had exactly 0 shutdowns for covid and they were still like ah... it's the corona u know lol. like Tyson who caused that big commercial chicken shortage for like years and it's because they laid a gently caress ton of people off right at the start lol. we had to get a new makeline at work and it took like 6 months because of 'covid'

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

We still have a pandemic blurb in our verbal agreement spiel you have to listen to before you connect to an agent and there's also a section in our RMA disclaimers excusing our shitiness because of Covid. Considering we had last changed our support line audio in 2014 and it was talking about industry awards won in 2013, I expect this to be a feature for a long time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

VSOKUL girl posted:

is it a handout, exactly? the pete rates explanation say that yeah, it's something that lyft and uber ostensibly have to do, but also something they can't really do directly, since they don't own the cars. in practice, i'd expect that a state enforcement action saying "you just have to buy all your drivers EVs" is unlikely, so absent 30, the requirement just sits in legal limbo and does nothing at worst, or maybe gets stuck in a drawn out legal battle at best. im unclear on how the money would go to lyft/uber/GM et al. directly for them to spend on enriching themselves PG&E style

there's functionally no way to do auto purchase subsidies in a way that doesn't indirectly subsidize vehicle manufacturers, but eh, cynically, so goeth corporate welfare in america as usual. at least it's corporate welfare to encourage people to switch away from gas-powered vehicles.

as much as i'd vote for it, there's no prop to abolish most private car ownership and force people onto buses and trains that don't exist yet, and it'd fail if there was. i'd prefer 30 with a gradual shift to transit subsidies, but as an imperfect stopgap, it doesn't seem as nakedly pro-corporate as 22 was

Companies don't throw tens of millions of dollars at laws that they don't stand to financially benefit from down the road. The plan is almost certainly a mix of getting the state to foot the bill for building out the charging infrastructure required to operate a fully EV fleet, and to purchase EV's for pennies on the dollar that they can then lease to gig economy workers at usurious rates. And before you think I made that last bit up, Uber was already operating such a program up through 2020 and only shut it down because of the awful press. Such a program would let Lyft/Uber/etc have the best of both worlds: they get to soak up government money to fund their "EV fleet", but said fleet also gets leased out to drivers for a profit and it's then on those drivers to pay for charging/maintenance/etc.

Again though like I said it's a wash: voting for Yes on 30 is basically saying you want to transfer money from >$250K earners to rideshare companies, and I'm not crying any tears for either side of that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sb hermit posted:

it's stuff like this that makes it hard for people to ditch their cars entirely.
I mean, if we had fully subsidized mandatory gay public transit you probably wouldn't be stuck with strikes every X years.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

The bars I frequent have pbr on tap.

not hipster enough, should have tallboy cans only

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Jaxyon posted:

not hipster enough, should have tallboy cans only

Is PBR even hipster anymore? Or is this just what 30 to 40-year-olds think is hipster because it was back in 2000-2010? Asking as an out-of-touch late-30s drinker of PBR.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's definitely not a hipster beer but it did become ironically cool to drink for people who were slumming

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It also used to be a really good bang for your buck beer. Like loving everybody I knew in uni drank that poo poo because it was being sold at Coors prices despite being a leg up in quality. Of course once the whole "hipsters love PBR!" thing started taking hold the company jacked the prices up to take advantage, lol.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^^ "I liked it before it was cool :smugdog:"

it super is a hipster beer literally type "pbr hipster" into google

It's OK to like hipster things

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VSOKUL girl posted:

bullshit, i cant remember the last time i saw retail PBR available in CA.

Where do you live? It's available all over the place in San Diego.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is Blue Moon not hipster? Maybe Rolling Rock? Am I old??????

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

^^^^ "I liked it before it was cool :smugdog:"

it super is a hipster beer literally type "pbr hipster" into google

It's OK to like hipster things

I didn't drink in college lol, didn't start until I was 25ish. Just remember my roommates switched to it from Coors because it was the same price at the 7/11 near campus that didn't check ID's.

The hipster stuff I like is third wave coffee and barrel aged sour beers.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Nobody drinks rolling rock, not a drat soul ever has or ever will.

When my friends and I were in our very early 20s we would always grab the $5 high life 12 pack from the corner store.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Rolling rock is big back East. It’s an east coast brand and it is all over the couple colleges I know people from in Ohio and Virginia.

It’s a garbage do-do beer for bad people.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
That’s interesting, I had no idea it was big on the east coast.

I admittedly bought it once (again in my early 20s) and it’s certainly better than the steel reserve tallies we were scrounging quarters together to buy in college.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Rolling rock is big back East. It’s an east coast brand and it is all over the couple colleges I know people from in Ohio and Virginia.

It’s a garbage do-do beer for bad people.

It’s all about expectations. You know it’s cheap watery beer without much flavor. It’s fine.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think my first sip of beer as a wee little league aged troll was a warm Hamms.

I remember the brokeass junior college dirtbag beers in the late 80's were always poo poo like Black Label, Lucky Lager, Mickey's, Stroh's and then 40's of Old E, King Cobra or St. Ide's.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 19, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FlapYoJacks posted:

Is Blue Moon not hipster? Maybe Rolling Rock? Am I old??????

In terms of cheap college beer I'd say the order goes:

Complete trash, regardless of price:

• Nat. Ice
  • Bud
  • Coors
  • Miller

"Will drink" ranked in ascending order (maybe price as well?)

• Pbr/Simpler times
  • Corona/tecate
  • Pacifico
  • Blue moon/fat tire [entry point to more interesting and expensive beers starts here]

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

blue moon used to be hipster but now it's as hipster as any craft beer. If you really want to sound cool, you get

Sydin posted:

barrel aged sour beers.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think my first sip of beer as a wee little league aged troll was a warm Hamms.

I remember the brokeass junior college dirtbag beers in the late 80's were always poo poo like Black Label, Lucky Lager, Mickey's, Stroh's and then 40's of Old E, King Cobra or St. Ide's.

My friends were all about $2 Hamm's in a can at a dive bar called Dive Bar that was cash only. Now it's a dive bar called Cash Only I guess.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

sb hermit posted:

blue moon used to be hipster but now it's as hipster as any craft beer. If you really want to sound cool, you get

Hm yes I enjoy a "craft" beer produced in vast quantities by a multinational brewing corporation sold all over the world it's very hipster.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
blue moon is not hipster lol. its alo made by coors the countrys oldest union buster so im afraid you must not buy it. sometimes i wil buy it however if its a nice day and they dont got another heffe or w/e. speaking of nice days today was a really nice day and i sat outside for most of it. very pleasing to me

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Just drink some Hamms like an adult who definitely doesn't get that poo poo ordered for cheap.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PBR and Natty Ice are absolute swill.

You want a cheap beer that's good? Olympia in the can.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I miss when they sold Schlitz at the local BevMo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just got a lot of sam adams oktoberfest at my local bevmo