Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should be note it's already said that Wally won a lot by Doctor Stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That was A Good Punch

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

I assume now that he knows what Woli is aiming for he'll be able to predict his movement and counterattack in some way. Maybe in a few weeks or something I dunno.

You cannot counter Woli, he will just counter your counter. The guy with the best left in the world just threw a single (straight compact left) punch against Woli and he immediately got countered on reaction (with a running haymaker, :lol:).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wally can and by all means should win but hes going to start getting bored and then lose

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The idea that Wally can just keep zipping around the ring like a lunatic on speed for the entire match sounds, uh, pretty absurd, and he should probably be running out of steam.

But hey, not like nonsense hasn't happened before.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that wally can fight like that at the Arena Mexico and not get everybody riled up is more egregious. People would be chanting for Ricardo to kill his rear end by now.

Also: surprising lack of mustaches in that crowd.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supremezero posted:

The idea that Wally can just keep zipping around the ring like a lunatic on speed for the entire match sounds, uh, pretty absurd, and he should probably be running out of steam.

He seems to have great stamina. Also if gets the bleeding it does not matter if he starts tiring at the end.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Hajime no Ippo: Wally-Kun... You're Incredible

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The tactical genius of Miguel Zale: just blind them

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Hajime no Ippo: Wally-Kun... You're Incredible

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Supremezero posted:

Counterpoint: the author is a hundred years old and is just writing the carefree monkey king with limitless physical ability.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The tactical genius of Miguel Zale: just blind them

It's all relative. Compared to Kamowaga the man is basically boxing Einstein.

Besides, it's not just "blind him" but also "if he tries to hit you then you hit him instead". He is on to something.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nilbop posted:

Counterpoint: the author is a hundred years old and is just writing the carefree monkey king with limitless physical ability.

Wally is the Goku/Luffy of the series now?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

trucutru posted:

It's all relative. Compared to Kamowaga the man is basically boxing Einstein.

Besides, it's not just "blind him" but also "if he tries to hit you then you hit him instead". He is on to something.

drat, can’t believe Woli’s the first boxer to ever figure that out

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i mean ricardo is obviously still going to crush him. morikawa is the most obvious writer in the world with this poo poo, if there's significant narrative weight given to woli doing well now it is almost certain that he'll do poorly later and everyone will go "ah! this is the level of the world!"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Nope. We're in the final 10 chapters or so of this manga. Wally is going to KO Ricardo with a mid-air counter while front flipping over his head. Ippo is going to become his assistant trainer under Miguel. Final panel is Wally wearing the belt, laughing and eating a banana behind a big HAJIME NO WALLY title card.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Cum Free posted:

Nope. We're in the final 10 chapters or so of this manga. Wally is going to KO Ricardo with a mid-air counter while front flipping over his head.

Actually he's going to KO him with a Keijo!!! vacuum butt cannon, that tail is there for a reason.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hajime? no ippo!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

hajime? no ippo!

lol

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

i mean ricardo is obviously still going to crush him. morikawa is the most obvious writer in the world with this poo poo, if there's significant narrative weight given to woli doing well now it is almost certain that he'll do poorly later and everyone will go "ah! this is the level of the world!"

I’m more afraid of the alternative , that he beats Ricardo and that opens the door to Sendo/Miyata beating Wally and that’s how we get Ippo back in the ring

It’s not even a bad plot beat, it’s the character that makes it bad because what he is doing isn’t interesting, exciting or even following the rules of boxing so it all makes it meaningless.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He’s following the rules.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He’s following the rules.

who, woli? no he's broken several, only some of which are routinely broken by other characters

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

who, woli? no he's broken several, only some of which are routinely broken by other characters

Other than being behind the ref for a second (which is only illegal for a prolonged time) I can’t think of any rules he has broken this match.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm pretty sure throwing punches from behind the ref's head is like, mega-illegal

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From checking it’s not, it’s only illegal to hide behind him for more than a few seconds.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my dislike of woli has almost nothing to do with his disregard for the sanctity of honest boxing

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other than being behind the ref for a second (which is only illegal for a prolonged time) I can’t think of any rules he has broken this match.

it is illegal to use the ropes offensively (but a lot of people do this)
it is illegal to turn your back to the opponent (repeatedly)
it is illegal to do stunts off the corner

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

buncha cops itt

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Asuron posted:

I’m more afraid of the alternative , that he beats Ricardo and that opens the door to Sendo/Miyata beating Wally and that’s how we get Ippo back in the ring

It’s not even a bad plot beat, it’s the character that makes it bad because what he is doing isn’t interesting, exciting or even following the rules of boxing so it all makes it meaningless.

ah i definitely disagree here. i think ive wrote this in here before, but to me, that'd be avant garde writing in a story that doesn't really call for it. it'd feel tonally strange to me to have genuinely hundreds of chapters introducing ricardo as the god of boxing, giving him motivations that foil ippo's, and then going "hah actually ippo just needs to beat woli again" to wrap up his storyline. it's possible, i guess, but i don't think it will happen.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

George gonna wreck his own story telling to prove that boxing isn’t fake and pre-arranged like wrestling.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Even as shoddy as the fight is turning out in practice, Woli winning this would absolutely be the funniest option

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one
https://mangadex.org/chapter/16570205-54fb-4355-bd58-8000ef6169fd/1

Wally has even mastered doing illegal stuff before the ref can turn around.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Woli the :guitar:Wild Child:guitar:

Biggest revelation in this chapter is they've graduated to storing videos on CDs instead of VHS tapes.

Though in the last panel it does seem like, after calling down the lightning, Woli's finally gonna get the thunder.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I feel like George is trolling us at this point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel like this is when things will turn around, and Woli has just made a terrible mistake

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lol, lmao even, but still somehow Good Chapter

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, Wally managed to roman cancel that shoryuken. Has he also mastered the V-reversal?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That was pretty dumb and I'm excited to read more of it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Did he… jump off the ropes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Asuron posted:

Did he… jump off the ropes?

totally legal