Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone have good experiences with Game Pass on deck, either running windows or streaming? I tried streaming last night to play Grounded with some friends and, while it had less latency than I expected, the game looked like muddy garbage and I ultimately ended up switching over to my PC.

I do have a dock, so I'm considering hard-wiring it and seeing if that improves things.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Commander Keene posted:

Can you manage default emulators through SRM? I've been using Emulation Station.

Every emulator in SRM has its own parser, so if you're using it you can just turn off parsers for the ones you don't want to use.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mescal posted:

the trackpad does not make a good mouse.
Can't agree with that, there's a lot of room for it to be configured badly though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

How’s Red Dead 2 on the Deck? I’ve held off on getting it for so long but I’m looking for something new to play on my Deck and it’s having it’s usual 50% off sale that it haves like every other month.

It’s pretty drat good tbh. I can get a pretty stable 40fps too.

I did have to increase the swap file size and the GPU memory size but the new SteamOS might have fixed it so RDR2 doesn’t crash anymore I dunno.

It’s a great deck game imo.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Has anyone else lost all of their scraped art when they did the recent Emudeck update?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

some of these emulators are so sleek. the DS one even has a nice little UI effect when you save or load states

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Get my deck today and had a minor freakout when I was upgrading to a bigger SSD. The actual switchover process went mostly smoothly (had to open 'er back up because I didn't press the battery cable back in far enough), but after booting to recovery none of the controls worked except for the touchscreen. I was able to get in and steamOS reinstalled, but then it failed to update after initial boot and still wasn't responding to any control input. A final reboot + some additional updates installed and everything seems happy now, but I definitely thought I had torn a cable or something. It looks like this is a semi-known issue looking around online.

So uh yea, just a heads up that unresponsive controls might happen for a bit as part of upgrading the SSD.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Man, I accidentally switched the language to Japanese on the initial setup on the new Shin Chan game and now I can’t change it back because there isn’t an option for it.

So how do I reset this game completely on my Steam Deck? I can’t find the file location for where it saves settings. I’ve already uninstalled and reinstalled. Or I guess my dumb rear end can learn Japanese so I can enjoy this kids game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dick Boat posted:

Man, I accidentally switched the language to Japanese on the initial setup on the new Shin Chan game and now I can’t change it back because there isn’t an option for it.

So how do I reset this game completely on my Steam Deck? I can’t find the file location for where it saves settings. I’ve already uninstalled and reinstalled. Or I guess my dumb rear end can learn Japanese so I can enjoy this kids game.

Believe you can boot into desktop mode and run Steam in the normal fashion and access local files through like normal in the game's properties?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Using the pads as a fake mouse seems pretty miserable to me trying to play a couple things. Like it works but I can't imagine playing a full mouse driven game. Maybe you get used to it as I eventually got used to a thumb trackball for couch gaming.

I wonder how well a trackball would work on a controller. It'd look weird as hell but might actually work better for replacement m+kb gaming.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Since I'm still trying to finish Elden Ring on PS4, the first person to actually play a game on my Steam Deck is my wife, playing PS1 Frogger while I watch basketball

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Using the pads as a fake mouse seems pretty miserable to me trying to play a couple things. Like it works but I can't imagine playing a full mouse driven game. Maybe you get used to it as I eventually got used to a thumb trackball for couch gaming.

I wonder how well a trackball would work on a controller. It'd look weird as hell but might actually work better for replacement m+kb gaming.
You use the trackpads in trackball mode, its just as good.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone have good experiences with Game Pass on deck, either running windows or streaming? I tried streaming last night to play Grounded with some friends and, while it had less latency than I expected, the game looked like muddy garbage and I ultimately ended up switching over to my PC.

I do have a dock, so I'm considering hard-wiring it and seeing if that improves things.

I just got my deck a few days ago, one of the first things I did was setup windows on an SD card for Game Pass. Takes a bit (around 1 min) to boot into windows but once you're in it runs well. Games are similar. Load times are a bit longer than I'm used to from SSDs, but not long enough to be annoying.

As for Grounded specifically: It takes like 30 seconds to load into the game. Once in there's a lot of stuttering when looking around, but that fades fairly quickly, maybe 20 seconds. I'm guessing assets are still being streamed once the load screen ends, that's fairly typical for open world games. After that initial stuttering, the game works great, with very sporadic stuttering when it loads something new. I also noticed some graphical glitches when looking at very far away stuff. The Hedge looks super blocky and has some pieces missing when I look at it from my base at the Oak, for example. I'm not sure if that's an actual glitch or just a performance saving measure of the Low graphics setting. In the end it's all very minor quibbles, the game is perfectly playable and looks great even on Low. Cloud saves means I can seamlessly transition between playing on my PC and on the Deck, which is very nice.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ojetor posted:

I just got my deck a few days ago, one of the first things I did was setup windows on an SD card for Game Pass. Takes a bit (around 1 min) to boot into windows but once you're in it runs well. Games are similar. Load times are a bit longer than I'm used to from SSDs, but not long enough to be annoying.

As for Grounded specifically: It takes like 30 seconds to load into the game. Once in there's a lot of stuttering when looking around, but that fades fairly quickly, maybe 20 seconds. I'm guessing assets are still being streamed once the load screen ends, that's fairly typical for open world games. After that initial stuttering, the game works great, with very sporadic stuttering when it loads something new. I also noticed some graphical glitches when looking at very far away stuff. The Hedge looks super blocky and has some pieces missing when I look at it from my base at the Oak, for example. I'm not sure if that's an actual glitch or just a performance saving measure of the Low graphics setting. In the end it's all very minor quibbles, the game is perfectly playable and looks great even on Low. Cloud saves means I can seamlessly transition between playing on my PC and on the Deck, which is very nice.

Thanks I'm gonna look into going that route. May as well have the option to get some more use out of my sub.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dick Boat posted:

So how do I reset this game completely on my Steam Deck?
Go to the game properties and disable cloud saves. Then go into desktop mode, open the file browser (Dolphin) and look for /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata and delete the directory numbered 2061250.

Then go back into game mode and start the game. It should be like a first boot. After you play it some, go back into game settings and reenable cloud saves. It will probably show a "file conflict", select to use your local copy.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 19, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

caldrax posted:

Loaded up Peacewalker in PPSSPP but all my text menus are missing and the resolution is super low. This is via emudeck. Google/reddit found me a thread where someone said this may be related to running Retroarch? But I'm not sure how to turn that off. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

yeah so i was not entirely correct earlier when i said psp doesnt require a bios. the standalone ppsspp does not, but the ppsspp in retroarch does, apparently

quote:

The retroarch core requires ppsspp.zip in the bios folder.
You can obtain it from within RetroArch's downloader.
Standalone PPSSPP does not require anything special.

https://github.com/dragoonDorise/EmuDeck

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

njsykora posted:

Go into Steam Rom Manager and make sure the emulator you're using is the standalone PPSSPP and not the Retroarch core. They have separate parsers.

Ok so I don't fully understand this concept. Both are in there. Do I just delete the retroarch one? The regular one has a red dot next to it which indicates that it's disabled? The ROM manager is like "this looks complicated but it's pretty simple!" But it's really not simple to someone who hasn't done all this stuff. Do I need to find a bios?

edit: after doing some more research it's looking like this particular game may be a lost cause unless I want to install windows. Oh well.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 19, 2022

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

EmuDeck has been stuck on "we are completing your installation" for like 2 hours....

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Start it over, it got stuck configuring Xenia for about that long when I first went to install EmuDeck as well.

I wasn't even installing Xenia. :eng99:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was messing around Age of Mythology and Dragon Age: Origins I thought both played impressively well one you fiddle a bit with community layouts for the controls.

really depends on the complexity of the game. I wouldn't play something like Stellaris without a kb+m.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It's extremely dumb but I'm going to get the gyro working for Warioware Twisted

And probably drop the deck doing it

If you get a configuration you're happy with, please upload it then come back and post it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dick Boat posted:

Download Google lens on your phone, have it auto translate whatever the camera is looking at and go from there.

Edit: rereading this, and I realize this only works if there is even an option to change it back. Well, if there is, this solution will work. :shobon:

Edit 2: I haven't been keeping up with the anti-cheat discussion a little while back with regards to the Halo games... Assuming I just want to play MCC, is it worth it to get on the Steam deck? Will multiplayer be completely disabled? I assume single player would be fine at least?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 19, 2022

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Commander Keene posted:

Start it over, it got stuck configuring Xenia for about that long when I first went to install EmuDeck as well.

I wasn't even installing Xenia. :eng99:

Will it overwrite the first failed install OK?

How could you tell what it was installing, I couldn't find any actual log of activity.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ShaneB posted:

How could you tell what it was installing, I couldn't find any actual log of activity.

Yes. A new install overwrites everything unless you specifically uncheck things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heran Bago posted:

If you get a configuration you're happy with, please upload it then come back and post it.

Will do lol, caught a nasty bug but I'll fiddle once I've gotten over it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ShaneB posted:

It overwrote when I did it. And I was installing the old command-line script version, so there were commands being entered into Konsole as I was watching. I haven't actually upgraded to the newer executable version yet, was planning on doing that soon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DarthRoblox posted:

Get my deck today and had a minor freakout when I was upgrading to a bigger SSD. The actual switchover process went mostly smoothly (had to open 'er back up because I didn't press the battery cable back in far enough), but after booting to recovery none of the controls worked except for the touchscreen. I was able to get in and steamOS reinstalled, but then it failed to update after initial boot and still wasn't responding to any control input. A final reboot + some additional updates installed and everything seems happy now, but I definitely thought I had torn a cable or something. It looks like this is a semi-known issue looking around online.

So uh yea, just a heads up that unresponsive controls might happen for a bit as part of upgrading the SSD.

Yeah this was tricky for me too. It failed the install or hung up several times. I had to reboot a couple times and then it was fine. My guess was the lovely wifi this thing has out of the box couldn't download whatever updates or connect and it got stuck in a loop.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What game?

I've found Dolphin's wiimote emulation to be incredibly flexible, but the options can be a bit opaque.
All of them. As an example, Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Use the trackpad or joystick to move the cursor to Slot 1, and the second I let go, the cursor automatically moves back to the default middle position.

I haven't messed with any configs. Is there something I should check/change?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
A quick "is it just me or what" question...

In desktop mode, it seems that Firefox is not working as the default URL handler, for URLs clicked on in other contexts. For example if I click on a link in a system tray menu (for SyncThingy) that is supposed to open a webpage, or if I click on a link in some apps description in Discover. Nothing happens.

The system settings say that Firefox should be the handler. Firefox's own settings say that it isn't, but I've read that the flatpak version of Firefox will always say that.

Is this a normal problem to have? Anyone know of a fix? Thanks...

=====

BTW, random little game recommendation: In Other Waters so far seems to be a very cool little fiddle-with-this-interface alien ocean exploration thing, which sits nicely with the Steam Deck display and controls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crows Turn Off posted:

All of them. As an example, Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Use the trackpad or joystick to move the cursor to Slot 1, and the second I let go, the cursor automatically moves back to the default middle position.

I haven't messed with any configs. Is there something I should check/change?

For Metroid Prime specifically I’d say use Primehack instead of regular Dolphin, it has a much better default control scheme that works how you’d expect for Wiimote emulation so you don’t have to worry about it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

A few things:

1. Use PrimeHack for Metroid Prime Trilogy, not regular Dolphin. You can play MPT in regular Dolphin but PrimeHack tweaks the controls just a bit to make it 100%. It also comes with the correct "hacks" configuration to make MPT work without seizure screen flashes. If you're using EmuDeck, then it will ship with a reasonable default MPT controller configuration.

The only thing you might need to change is the "Synchronize GPU thread" option under game properties to get MPT to run without stutter, but I wouldn't do that right away because it might make the game crash while it's building shaders. If you're starting with MP1, I recommend using the default settings and watch the intro scene until you're in first person view an the HUD shows up, then you can disable "Synchronize GPU thread" and restart and you should be able to hit 60 FPS pretty consistently.

2. For Dolphin, you absolutely have to play around with the controller configurations per-game. The Wii supported too many different control schemes and motion gestures that there's no one configuration that cleanly maps to the gamepad for all games.

For example, if you did want to play MPT in regular Dolphin you'd assign the right stick Up/Down/Left/Right to the wiimote pointer (which is probably what you have set right now), and that's good because in game it snaps the targetting reticule back to the center of the screen when you let go of the stick, so that you're not constantly turning like you're using a bad Atari 5200 controller. However, as you noted, that screws up an emulated mouse cursor. For the latter you can assign a button to Relative Input Hold which would make the mouse behave intuitively as long as you're holding that button. Or again, you can use PrimeHack which takes care of this detail for you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

njsykora posted:

For Metroid Prime specifically I’d say use Primehack instead of regular Dolphin, it has a much better default control scheme that works how you’d expect for Wiimote emulation so you don’t have to worry about it.

May be a dumb question but can you do the early space jump boots trick on Primehack with the altered controls? The second method they didn't patch out I guess lol

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

re: Metroid Prime - I recommend grabbing the HD texture pack and HD interface textures pack and textures for Deck button UI.
Maaaaybe affects the performance a bit? But doesn't seem to be a problem - I played about 2 hours before installing and have added another 6 on top.
There's definitely some stuttering for me quite often when opening doors but it doesn't bother me enough to have dug deep into whether that can be eliminated.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1. No Man's Sky on the Deck is pretty drat satisfying

2. I'm definitely considering relegating my desktop to NAS duty, since my current NAS is pretty old and crusty at this point. Deck is good.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Has anyone had issues with kinda jerky/inconsistent input behavior in FPS games? Specifically I'm playing through Metro Exodus and I'm having issues where trying to look around my view will move a few degrees and then stop, even though I didn't move the stick. I've also had some issues with continued slow movement after returning to neutral or sometimes guns going off full auto after a single RT pull.

I'm not sure if this is game specific or maybe there's some settings I can adjust to improve this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PantsBandit posted:

Are you using 2.4GHZ or a 5GHZ? 2.4 is probably not enough bandwidth for deck streaming. I'd also try turning off wireless power management in developer mode.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

1. No Man's Sky on the Deck is pretty drat satisfying

I am playing the hell out of this and yeah it rocks.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. Use PrimeHack for Metroid Prime Trilogy, not regular Dolphin. You can play MPT in regular Dolphin but PrimeHack tweaks the controls just a bit to make it 100%. It also comes with the correct "hacks" configuration to make MPT work without seizure screen flashes. If you're using EmuDeck, then it will ship with a reasonable default MPT controller configuration.
Yeah, Primehacks is much better. How do I make the MPT run automatically in Primehacks instead of Dolphin? Basically, I don't want to go into Primehacks first, I want to run MPT from the library.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Angryhead posted:

re: Metroid Prime - I recommend grabbing the HD texture pack and HD interface textures pack and textures for Deck button UI.
Maaaaybe affects the performance a bit? But doesn't seem to be a problem - I played about 2 hours before installing and have added another 6 on top.
There's definitely some stuttering for me quite often when opening doors but it doesn't bother me enough to have dug deep into whether that can be eliminated.

What's the directory you put all the textures in?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, Primehacks is much better. How do I make the MPT run automatically in Primehacks instead of Dolphin? Basically, I don't want to go into Primehacks first, I want to run MPT from the library.

Make sure the Metroid Prime Trilogy ROM is in the "primehack" folder instead of the "gc" one, if you put it in the latter SRM will default it to regular Dolphin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

sigher posted:

What's the directory you put all the textures in?

Should go in ~/.var/app/io.github.shiiion.primehack/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/R3M/

There'll already be a couple folders in there as EmuDeck preinstalls the Steam Deck UI textures.