Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I will never ever play a visual novel, they just seem like immature choose your own adventure comic books that take 100 times longer to read.

Some of them don't have choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
or they have choices that only unlock after going through the whole thing and restarting

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

From the ones I've seen VNs are like comic books without bespoke drawings for each scene. As much as I don't care for comics or manga I can appreciate what the medium is for and does well. What's the point of the visuals in VNs if they're just static images of characters in various stock poses?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I will never ever play a visual novel, they just seem like immature choose your own adventure comic books that take 100 times longer to read.

Adventure games are Visual Novels with failure states.

Adventure Games are Good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
999 and VLR are both better than any dark souls game. And it's not even close.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

they both just look like anime trash to me, i'd just read a comic

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I spent a long time trying to write a visual novel but it's straight up impossible to create actual gameplay in one and all the major VN engines have only the loosest support for things like variables and have virtually zero support for things like idk, having skill checks in dialog, of tracking inventory or skills, etc.

Like you would think an entire genre about reading dialog and then choosing dialog choices would at least do the things with dialog that other, less dialog-focused games do with their dialog.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Interactive Fiction seems cool thoughbut I have no idea how to write it

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Have you tried the new call of duty bundle at domino’s?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Remember Yo Noid and how a person sued dominos because they thought the Noid was created to mock them

Yo Noid on NES was cool

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

deep dish peat moss posted:

I spent a long time trying to write a visual novel but it's straight up impossible to create actual gameplay in one and all the major VN engines have only the loosest support for things like variables and have virtually zero support for things like idk, having skill checks in dialog, of tracking inventory or skills, etc.

Like you would think an entire genre about reading dialog and then choosing dialog choices would at least do the things with dialog that other, less dialog-focused games do with their dialog.

Maybe try something like Choice of Games?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I want to do the kind of interactive fiction that has a text parser (which is way beyond me - like Zork or whatever, text-based adventure games). Choice of Games is kind of cool though because they will actually hire you to write games in ChoiceScript if you're good at it. It just doesn't really have any of the gameplay mechanics I want either (or it didn't last I checked).

As far as I know its skill check system is very binary (pass if you have X of a variable, fail if you don't) but the kind of game I want to make in that kind of framework would require lots of interactions between skills to generate success chances and etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 19, 2022

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Oh poo poo, I meant lil Caesars

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Just use Ren'Py and write whatever custom logic you need in pure Python.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't want snakes in my computer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

There are games that combine visual novel storytelling with actual gameplay though, for example the story modes in the Blazblue games are all VN stories with fighting-game matches sprinkled throughout.
Not that common though because devs who want to make an 80 hour extremely anime story with actual gameplay usually just make a jrpg instead of a VN.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Remember Yo Noid and how a person sued dominos because they thought the Noid was created to mock them

Yo Noid on NES was cool

I recall their reaction being a bit more extreme than that

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I want to do the kind of interactive fiction that has a text parser (which is way beyond me - like Zork or whatever, text-based adventure games). Choice of Games is kind of cool though because they will actually hire you to write games in ChoiceScript if you're good at it. It just doesn't really have any of the gameplay mechanics I want either (or it didn't last I checked).

As far as I know its skill check system is very binary (pass if you have X of a variable, fail if you don't) but the kind of game I want to make in that kind of framework would require lots of interactions between skills to generate success chances and etc.

Try the Inform language, it's the most popular language for creating the same format of IF game as Zork etc, and the latest version Inform 7 has natural language syntax to make it more accessible to non-programmers. As in, this is literally what the source code for an Inform 7 game looks like:
code:
Your Living Room is a room.
Your Kitchen is east of Your Living Room.
rather than some complicated looking C syntax that you need to memorize. There are a lot of tutorials and resources for it as well and the IF community are generally pretty helpful folks.

https://ganelson.github.io/inform-website/

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 19, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
natural language syntax sux, you still have to memorize it because the keywords still do specific poo poo just like { or = does in C. it just lies about being natural so it looks better for the first 15 minutes before you learn it and doesn't scare people off

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

natural language syntax sux, you still have to memorize it because the keywords still do specific poo poo just like { or = does in C. it just lies about being natural so it looks better for the first 15 minutes before you learn it and doesn't scare people off

the image AIs are doing their best, please be patient they are still learning

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yo Noid on NES was cool

Game was so good, but I made it past the skateboarding level I believe once in my life

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yo Noid on NES was cool

The guy did more than sue them, he actually took hostages and held a gun to them in a dominos because his name was Kenneth Noid

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The guy did more than sue them, he actually took hostages and held a gun to them in a dominos because his name was Kenneth Noid

Sounds like they should've avoided him.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Did he know the frequency though?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rascar Capac posted:

Sounds like they should've avoided him.

But the No Noid policy was what created the issue in the first place!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

disgusting

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lol

lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
a lot of visual novels are written by people who think that more = better

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That sure is a UI of something alright. Edit: Ah it's a card game :tootzzz:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They were just playing a 5 hour Yo Noid! sesh, no big deal

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Caesar Saladin posted:

there are some gem vn games. hatoful boyfriend is loving hilarious (vn / dating simulator, but with pigeons. evil pigeons.) and doki doki literature club is a send-up of the genre, somewhat analogous to what evangelion does for mech anime. there are also VN-aligned games (e.g. phoenix wright / danganrompa / professor layton pretty much are VN with puzzles.) i will agree that most vn are crap.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cyberball was better than Madden.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
All arcade sports games are better than all simulation sports games. Disagreement means a week in the hole.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

All arcade sports games are better than all simulation sports games. Disagreement means a week in the hole.

I will accept this, but cars don't count as a sport

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
arcade sports car racing games are significantly better than home computer car racing sims, if only because you're sitting in a huge cockpit with a stick shift

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fur20 posted:

arcade sports car racing games are significantly better than home computer car racing sims, if only because you're sitting in a huge cockpit with a stick shift

If you're enough of a manchild you can have this at home too

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you're even more of a manchild there's always F1.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Devils Affricate posted:

If you're enough of a manchild you can have this at home too

hey actually simracing is for Cool and Rad dudes I think you'll find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

hey actually simracing is for Cool and Rad dudes I think you'll find

Oh boy all the rules and regulations of real motorsport. Although anything's better than letting you rewind time.

I like Gran Turismo but getting Project Cars was a huge mistake. I can't always be bothered to set up the wheel and pedals and this game is basically unplayable with a controller. Your driver robotically snaps the wheel back and forth 90 degrees no matter how careful you are.

I've barely touched GT7 since it came out because of how greedy it is. In GT Sport driving 26 miles each day gave you a free car, and you could do anything for it, like complete the challenges and licences or just mess around in VR. By the end of its life I had nearly every car and only had to buy a few of them.

In GT7 90% of the time you get pocket change. Unless you do the most optimal race over and over or loving automate it with remote play then you'll never afford most of what the game has to offer.