Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"There's a book about the Prime Minister's time in office, it's set to be out by Christmas. Is that the release date or its title?"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

"There's a book about the Prime Minister's time in office, it's set to be out by Christmas. Is that the release date or its title?"

lol

Got to admit that was a pretty good attack.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Necrothatcher posted:

Do I really want to send the police/home office out for women who may not be in the country legally?

The embassies said they'd take the passports and look into it.

How many passports was it? You said it was people from multiple countries so it's hard to see how dividing up the passports between their embassies could form a coherent investigation. I think* that this would fall under the purview of the National Crime Agency not the met... My concern would be that embassies aren't interested in investigating what's potentially a serious crime in any great detail.

* not an expert.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Train unions!! :byodood:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How many passports was it? You said it was people from multiple countries so it's hard to see how dividing up the passports between their embassies could form a coherent investigation. I think* that this would fall under the purview of the National Crime Agency not the met... My concern would be that embassies aren't interested in investigating what's potentially a serious crime in any great detail.

* not an expert.

Five: three South African, one from Ghana, and another from Nigeria.

Also some Airpods and perfume.

I think I've now actually tracked down one of the women on LinkedIn who said she was working at a Pizza Hut near London, but I've called all the branches it could be and they don't know the name.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1582691704015966208?t=Gz7KMDxVzpR1cG45lAUWOA

Overruling the new boss is a ballsy move from Truss.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I think I've now actually tracked down one of the women on LinkedIn who said she was working at a Pizza Hut near London, but I've called all the branches it could be and they don't know the name.

Am I remembering right that you're some kind of journalist? Is there a chance that someone knew that about you and left the bag there so you'd investigate? It kind of seems like the opening scenes of a depressing neo-noir.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Am I remembering right that you're some kind of journalist? Is there a chance that someone knew that about you and left the bag there so you'd investigate? It kind of seems like the opening scenes of a depressing neo-noir.

Close, they're a law toucher.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Always memorise which goons are more dangerous to slander.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Necrothatcher is going to end up zipping himself into a duffel bag.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The answer to cancer and other long term research is obviously Energy Price Guarantee

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

I do law touching and journalism, but I just write (surprisingly lucrative) articles about Star Wars these days.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I do law touching and journalism, but I just write (surprisingly lucrative) articles about Star Wars these days.

Star Wars main narrative has very been dead for some time and after the first Villeneuve Dune movie i don't see the point in it at all. :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrismasonbbc/status/1582688612621365248?s=46&t=4OXhs-iZ32Li5tOUBCVunA

Well then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

It's 100% a trafficking operation, and you need to face the very real possibility that the passports were intended to go to one of your neighbours. Watch yourself.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Surely not the guy that worked for Prince Andrew.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

It's 100% a trafficking operation, and you need to face the very real possibility that the passports were intended to go to one of your neighbours. Watch yourself.

Oh bollocks to it, I'll drop them off at a police station rather than the embassies if people think that's best.

Suspect the Airpods will go straight into some cop's pocket but this can be the Met's problem.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sinky posted:

Why are they so obsessed with the earthquake machine, to the point that the deeply unpopular PM will turn it into a confidence vote? Didn't a fossil fuel exec say fracking in the uk was pointless.
Truss worked for Shell, Shell is fossil fuels, ergo anything to do with fossil fuels must be cool and good. That's probably the depth of her thought process.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1582697592030662656

e: which probably explains this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Baconroll posted:

I wouldn't plan on your mobile working if theres a power-cut. From an ofcom report from 2019 - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/186413/Connected-Nations-2019-UK-final.pdf

"Both EE and Three have 6 hours or more of back-up power at around 3% of their sites. EE has a further 4% of sites which can continue
operating for five days or more during a power cut. The vast majority have no back-up power"

"Vodafone and O2 use a shared network, with each providing around half the total sites used for UK coverage. Of the sites which Vodafone
provides, which broadly speaking cover the west of England and Wales, around half have four hours of back-up power. The remaining Vodafone
sites have between 1 and 2 hours. O2 protects its hub sites, which account for about 5% of its total sites, with 4 hours of back-up power. Most of
its remaining sites have no protection, with an unspecified number of larger coverage sites having 10 minutes.
"

Yes that's why I wanted to get the built in FM radios up and running so I don't need internet (rather than use eg BBC Sounds). The phones should still work to receive radio signals. I will see if I can find a zero internet signal location to test it out - would have been my mum's which had no mobile signal at all but she's moved to somewhere geared up for life in the 21st century.)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1582691423463165952

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tim Farron can still get hosed, sorry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh bollocks to it, I'll drop them off at a police station rather than the embassies if people think that's best.

Suspect the Airpods will go straight into some cop's pocket but this can be the Met's problem.

Get a receipt for the passports when you drop them off, but yes, the cop shop is the best place.
I know you don't want to get potential illegals in to trouble, but this is way above your pay grade.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Truss is the bizarro version of Number 6 from The Prisoner: everyone keeps demanding to know why she hasn't resigned.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1582644863929298945

josh04 posted:

Tim Farron can still get hosed, sorry.

I think the thread can 100% agree on this. I do find it funny that the Tories are so weak at the moment that the LDs can poo poo on them like this. And Keith come to that with his opening joke at PMQs

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
+1 to keeping your wits about you incase whoever left them there or was supposed to recieve them comes looking for you.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

I wouldn't plan on your mobile working if theres a power-cut. From an ofcom report from 2019 - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/186413/Connected-Nations-2019-UK-final.pdf

"Both EE and Three have 6 hours or more of back-up power at around 3% of their sites. EE has a further 4% of sites which can continue
operating for five days or more during a power cut. The vast majority have no back-up power"

"Vodafone and O2 use a shared network, with each providing around half the total sites used for UK coverage. Of the sites which Vodafone
provides, which broadly speaking cover the west of England and Wales, around half have four hours of back-up power. The remaining Vodafone
sites have between 1 and 2 hours. O2 protects its hub sites, which account for about 5% of its total sites, with 4 hours of back-up power. Most of
its remaining sites have no protection, with an unspecified number of larger coverage sites having 10 minutes.
"

I lost power for several days after Arwen and it took the mobile signal with it instantly. I naively thought all masts would have back up, lol

Thank you thread for reminding me I need to get a proper radio

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

+1 to keeping your wits about you incase whoever left them there or was supposed to recieve them comes looking for you.

Luckily if you need to flee abroad for a bit to hide you are now equipped to do so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

KittenCaboodle posted:

I lost power for several days after Arwen and it took the mobile signal with it instantly. I naively thought all masts would have back up, lol

Thank you thread for reminding me I need to get a proper radio

I've checked it out and as long as your mobile is charged you can receive FM radio EVEN IF there is no mobile signal. BUT you need a wired earpiece to plug in to act as aerial even if you divert sound to loudspeaker.

PS I have tested it because one of my old mobiles has a non-working SIM in it from a now 7 years defunct foreign phone provider. I have to put the dead SIM in it else it won't work at all - it's a dual SIM and if there's no card - even a non-functioning one - in SIM1 it won't do anything.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 19, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Necrothatcher posted:

Honestly just record a video of what you are dropping off to the cops before you do so.

And it sounds to me like the best move to make.

You don't want to have to be in court explaining "Yes I did take these passports and bring them to a number of different embassy's around London myself. No, I wasn't working with any people smugglers. No, I didn't bring them to the police because I do not trust them."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

The only soap opera I would recommend is HBO's OZ.

more like a "don't drop the soap" opera tbh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
oh my god

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1582702483750936577?s=46&t=4OXhs-iZ32Li5tOUBCVunA

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1582702488506859520?s=46&t=4OXhs-iZ32Li5tOUBCVunA

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1582691270602166272

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

it could never happen here

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear. Let's hope his usual track record of being 100% wrong keeps up.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1582627095486038016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've checked it out and as long as your mobile is charged you can receive FM radio EVEN IF there is no mobile signal. BUT you need a wired earpiece to plug in to act as aerial even if you divert sound to loudspeaker.

PS I have tested it because one of my old mobiles has a non-working SIM in it from a now 7 years defunct foreign phone provider. I have to put the dead SIM in it else it won't work at all - it's a dual SIM and if there's no card - even a non-functioning one - in SIM1 it won't do anything.
If they're going to be preferring the longwave stations then you might be better off with a crystal radio kit.

The Question IRL posted:

You don't want to have to be in court explaining "Yes I did take these passports and bring them to a number of different embassy's around London myself. No, I wasn't working with any people smugglers. No, I didn't bring them to the police because I do not trust them."
Depending where that station falls on the corrupt-to-useless scale you might even get them all back as unclaimed property in 30 days and have a new career as a trafficker.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

If they're going to be preferring the longwave stations then you might be better off with a crystal radio kit.

Yeah, there is that.
I do not possess a radio receiver capable of picking up LW (I did have before I moved back to UK but not since).
And you would need to keep batteries in for it.

Anyway isn't BBC switching off LW soon and that's why we're all supposed to get smart meters?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

The loving brass neck on this guy.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

"Glad I Emmigrated" checkmark for Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Honestly just record a video of what you are dropping off to the cops before you do so.

And it sounds to me like the best move to make.

Well it's out of my hands now. I dropped them off, gave my contact details, and they said they'd look into it. Honestly the whole thing has left me nervous and a bit queasy so I hope I never hear about it again.

If I randomly stop posting this will probably be why.