Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

OAquinas posted:

Kherson has been strained for a while with resupply issues. It's entirely possible they realize they don't have the stores for a pitched fight (along with possibly lacking soldiers willing to die for Kherson) and are seeking to conserve their forces. Crossing the Dnipro and fortifying on the other bank is--if not sound tactics, far better than prosecuting a losing position.

I am a bit concerned - Russia withdrawing from Kherson would mark the first strategically correct decision they have made during the entire war. Maybe that new general does know how to read a map...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Doccers posted:

I am a bit concerned - Russia withdrawing from Kherson would mark the first strategically correct decision they have made during the entire war. Maybe that new general does know how to read a map...

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1582469084964220928

Not the generals that are the problem here. I'm hoping that this is a belated recognition that the position in Kherson has been untenable for months rather than Putin suddenly allowing his generals to do their jobs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

saratoga posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1582469084964220928

Not the generals that are the problem here. I'm hoping that this is a belated recognition that the position in Kherson has been untenable for months rather than Putin suddenly allowing his generals to do their jobs.

Has Putin ever said he is in command of the armed forces or something? Because I am not sure why people keep saying he is micro managing his generals. He did not have a history of doing so in past Russian conflicts.

It was also reported he made phone calls to field commanders, and after that he fired/replaced several high ranking generals. Which leads us to believe they were feeding him BS and he reacted accordingly. He is obviously setting political goals/orders such as not retreating from Kherson, but since it is possible his entire operation and career hinge upon holding it I can see why those orders were made.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

He never did, and he won't. Admiring that he's responsible for anything would open him to failure. There are layers of courtiers that stand between him and hard decisions. That way good Tzar can kick some bad Boyars once in a while.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

Has Putin ever said he is in command of the armed forces or something? Because I am not sure why people keep saying he is micro managing his generals. He did not have a history of doing so in past Russian conflicts.

No, but previously there was no general designated as a public face of operation due to the permanent Kremlin fear of popular military figures. So, it all went to Putin, Shoigu and Gerasimov.

It is increasingly clear that Surovikin is a fall guy to take blame both for pointless terror strikes and the coming defeats.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
(Obvious content warning for the thread --- description of torture):
https://mobile.twitter.com/belkiswille/status/1582606453676060672

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crow Buddy posted:

Russian military evacuating the civilian population from Kherson over a contested pontoon bridge, while they are also evacuating their own personnel and material.

That isn’t anything that could be done with the military we’ve seen here.

I'd love to read more about technical details of the evacuation, seeing that you have them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This just in: the special operation will be over by Christmas New Year! :toot:

also at least Leningrad oblast and Saint Petersburg have cancelled the New Year's celebrations, citing that the funds will be used to buy gear for troops. :ohdearsass: apparently Kremlin has not decided if this is wise...

https://t.me/lenobladminka/3754
https://www.fontanka.ru/2022/10/07/71717540/
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12662472

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

People said that based on journalists reporting claims from intelligence services, rather than Putin climbing naked onto the roof of Kremlin to yell that he's an idiot.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

fatherboxx posted:

No, but previously there was no general designated as a public face of operation due to the permanent Kremlin fear of popular military figures. So, it all went to Putin, Shoigu and Gerasimov.

It is increasingly clear that Surovikin is a fall guy to take blame both for pointless terror strikes and the coming defeats.

I think there's still some expectation of success in the kremlin, Surovikin took back half of Syria on Assad's behalf, and that's not insignificant. Of course, it's one thing to barrel-bomb defenceless villages, it's another altogether to fight an army that's better equipped, better trained and has the support of the entire west behind them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think there's still some expectation of success in the kremlin, Surovikin took back half of Syria on Assad's behalf, and that's not insignificant. Of course, it's one thing to barrel-bomb defenceless villages, it's another altogether to fight an army that's better equipped, better trained and has the support of the entire west behind them.

One would assume that Hezbollah, Iran's proxy Shi'ite militias, the IRGC officers, what still passed for the SAA and so on also had something to do with that. Not saying that this dude, Russian aircraft and diplomatic support weren't significant but there's a tendency among many overinflate the singular importance of Russia in the Syrian Civil War.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1582700216284684289

From the high level meeting today, I assume.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1582680802055180288

I hope the frontline food is okay. :ohdear:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1582659980133797890

Interesting account of the alleged friend fire incident in Kherson.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 19, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://theins.ru/en/news/256182

quote:

Occupiers demolish Great Famine Memorial in Mariupol saying Ukraine suffered least

The occupation authorities have dismantled the memorial to the victims of the Great Famine that was erected 18 years ago in central Mariupol, RIA Novosti reports.

“According to historical sources, famine used to affect the southern regions of Russia and then the Soviet Union every few decades. Ukraine and Donbass were not among the regions most affected by the 1932-33 famine, but Kazakhstan, the Volga region, and the North Caucasus were,” said Artem Bobrovsky, head of the department at Donetsk National University with a PhD in history, who was present at the demolition.

“It's not a monument that we are demolishing, but a symbol of political misinformation... As we were teaching the history of Ukraine, the idea of “genocide” and “Holodomor” was forced upon us... No textbook or teacher described what really happened. Unfortunately, all this was hidden not only from school kids but also from their parents,” Yevgenia Krotova, a representative of the central headquarters of the Young Republic NGO, told the news agency.

According to various sources, from 2.2 to 3.9 million Ukrainians died of starvation in 1932-1933. In 2006, the Holodomor was recognized by Ukrainian law as the genocide of the Ukrainian people.

Looks like there will be some employment opportunities for american basement dwellers to show up on RT and explain how technically, it wasn't a genocide and didn't happen anyway and happened only to those grain hiding counter-revolutionaries

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The second tweet there is probably more significant:

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1582703585506492418?s=20&t=prcD_yNT-S2482BUZy0jTg

When your special military operation is going to plan.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

beer_war posted:

The second tweet there is probably more significant:

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1582703585506492418?s=20&t=prcD_yNT-S2482BUZy0jTg

When your special military operation is going to plan.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5621159

The full document calls for an elevated readiness regime in the central and southern federal districts - the “medium readiness regime” in areas adjacent to the occupied territories of mainland Ukraine, and the martial law in them themselves seeing exceptions to that decree. Total of 1/3 of the country, and more than 50% of its population, is affected by this.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Strelkov in UA confirmed?
https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1582668002201571329

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Geolocation of that to Russia is literally 3 posts earlier.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://t-me.translate.goog/suspilnekherson?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

"The Russians are preparing to fire at Kherson, they are digging fortifications in the Chaplynka area for barrel artillery," Kim, the head of the Mykolayiv OVA, commented on the evacuation notices received by the residents of Kherson.

https://t-me.translate.goog/suspilnekherson?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

"This is what the evacuation looks like. There are not very many people and I don't think they have an understanding of where and how far they are going," said First Deputy Chairman of the Kherson Regional Council Yuriy Sobolevskyi.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Somaen posted:

“According to historical sources, famine used to affect the southern regions of Russia and then the Soviet Union every few decades. Ukraine and Donbass were not among the regions most affected by the 1932-33 famine, but Kazakhstan, the Volga region, and the North Caucasus were,” said Artem Bobrovsky, head of the department at Donetsk National University with a PhD in history, who was present at the demolition.

Even if true, man, talk about embodying the concept of "It's not a contest!" Ireland doesn't get to feel bad about the Irish Potato Famine or put up memorials to victims of British colonialism because more people died in the Indian famines, dontcherknow. Anyways famines affecting Russia and the Soviet Union every few decades is totally fine and not worth complaining about because it happened on a regular basis.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tomn posted:

Even if true, man, talk about embodying the concept of "It's not a contest!" Ireland doesn't get to feel bad about the Irish Potato Famine or put up memorials to victims of British colonialism because more people died in the Indian famines, dontcherknow. Anyways famines affecting Russia and the Soviet Union every few decades is totally fine and not worth complaining about because it happened on a regular basis.

It is worth pointing out that more people should pay attention to what USSR did in Kazakhstan[1]--- the two rounds of famine-genocide murdered something like half of population, if not more --- I've seen claims of as much as 2/3rds.

[1] Those types removing Holodomor memorials would of course say Kazakhs should be grateful for "civilization" every other time.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Dick Ripple posted:

No, he doesn't actually command anything and probably has no idea how to do so. He is an intelligence officer by training, not a soldier. The problem is that no one is in overall command, so Putin is calling up regional commanders and giving them specific high level objectives such as "capture Bakhmut" or "hold Kherson" without (competent) consideration of the overall state of the front or how to allocate forces to do so. So you end up with troops sitting in Kherson with too little ammo or pointlessly attacking Bakhmut while the line crumbles elsewhere for lack of reinforcements. Surovikin has advocated for pulling back from Kherson to shorten the line and free up tens of thousands of troops from an unwinnable position but was told to hold the line.

Dick Ripple posted:

It was also reported he made phone calls to field commanders, and after that he fired/replaced several high ranking generals. Which leads us to believe they were feeding him BS and he reacted accordingly. He is obviously setting political goals/orders such as not retreating from Kherson, but since it is possible his entire operation and career hinge upon holding it I can see why those orders were made.

He is calling these people because there is no functioning intermediate chain of command to translate his political objectives into military strategy. This is the classic dictator's problem of not being able to trust a general with complete power over the armed forces so you end up with a bunch of splintered commands and no one in overall command. In a more functioning system he would call up a military council or supreme commander who would receive those objectives, discuss what is possible in light of available forces, allocate resources to the most urgent objectives, and then transmit orders to the relevant local commanders. But that link is missing, so Putin is sending objectives directly down, and there is no overall strategic prioritization.

With respect to Kherson, the problem is not trying to hold Kherson, it is trying to hold Kherson directly on the bridgehead without allocating the forces needed to push out to more defensible positions. If holding it is a priority, then they needed to take forces out of the East and push further from the bridges to a defensible position. But there is no one in a position to make the call that Kherson is more important than Bakhmut, so they're basically sitting on the bridgehead getting shelled forever.

saratoga fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Arte has released a sequel to Mariupolis. Currently only in German and French, though the images speak for themselves: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/109827-000-A/mariupolis-2/

Note that you may need to come from an IP within certain countries.

Machine translated description:

quote:

In 2015, Mantas Kvedaravicius filmed life in Mariupol, the Ukrainian port city that was attacked with rockets by pro-Russian soldiers during a ceasefire. In 2022, shortly after the start of the Russian war of aggression on Ukraine, Mantas Kvedaravicius returns to Mariupol. There, in the centre of the war, he wanted to be with the people he had met and filmed in 2015. At the end of March, he is captured and killed by Russian forces in Mariupol. The filmed material can be saved, and Kvedaravicius' producers and collaborators have put all their energy into passing on his work, his vision and his films.
As a filmmaker, Lithuanian anthropologist Mantas Kvedaravicius (1976-2022), who holds a doctorate, wanted to distance himself as much as possible from the agitation of the media and politicians. With great power and sensitivity, "Mariupolis 2" depicts life in the midst of the bombardment, showing images that both show tragedy and convey hope.
In a shooting note, Mantas Kvedaravicius writes: "Do you know what is most extraordinary about Mariupol? None of the inhabitants feared death ... Death was already there and nobody wanted to die for nothing. People supported each other, even if they risked their lives."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randarkman posted:

One would assume that Hezbollah, Iran's proxy Shi'ite militias, the IRGC officers, what still passed for the SAA and so on also had something to do with that. Not saying that this dude, Russian aircraft and diplomatic support weren't significant but there's a tendency among many overinflate the singular importance of Russia in the Syrian Civil War.

Nevertheless it can be said that the Russian mission in Syria was rather successful. But for Russia it was a small affair that was easy to supply, against an enemy with no AA.

It's like if I had a reputation of breaking into a kindergarten where I suckerpunched a nanny and then gave wedgies to a bunch of 5-year olds, after which the local Hell's Angels chapter approached me and asked if I would like to lead their attack on a MS-13 club house.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I wouldn't read too much into the martial law thing. That was already the de facto state.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Edit: nevermind, some other posters explained it.

FishBulbia posted:

I wouldn't read too much into the martial law thing. That was already the de facto state.

Will Russians still be able to leave the country with these new restrictions?

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 19, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sucrose posted:

You gotta include some translations, friend. I don’t understand what the first tweet signifies at all. Some Russian soldiers are standing around an intersection near Rostov?

It's a geolocation showing that Igor Girkhin (n.g. "Strelkov") is back in Ukraine. He was one the policy entrepreneurs that initiated the Donbas war.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 19, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: explained better already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dunno on the second one but the first one is Strelkov hanging out near Rostov. The rumors were he stopped posting because he went to the front but it appears he didn’t quite make it there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dunno on the second one but the first one is Strelkov hanging out near Rostov. The rumors were he stopped posting because he went to the front but it appears he didn’t quite make it there.

Maybe FishBulbia is just a fan of these borders (which never existed in practice, and which no longer make any sense since the aren't exactly many Ukrainians left in Kuban):

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

It's a geolocation showing that Igor Girkhin (n.g. "Strelkov") is back in Ukraine. He was one the policy entrepreneurs that initiated the Donbas war.

No, it shows him hanging around in Rostov-on-Don, in Russia.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Yeah I meant going back to the front. I understand where Rostov is.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sucrose posted:

Edit: nevermind, some other posters explained it.

Will Russians still be able to leave the country with these new restrictions?

The martial law only applies to the occupied territories and a lighter regime in the neighboring territories.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The genocide of Kazakh's was mentioned earlier:
https://twitter.com/MuKappa/status/1580930614026346496

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah I meant going back to the front. I understand where Rostov is.

I’m not convinced he’s not larping to get on the gravy train.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Geolocation of that to Russia is literally 3 posts earlier.
Lack of clarity between link / text leads to posts being skimmed, I never clicked on your photos in detail

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not convinced he’s not larping to get on the gravy train.

I’m pretty convinced of this exact thing, myself

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The last time I heard of Chaplynka is that is has a Russian CAS base. If Berslav falls to Ukraine that puts Chaplynka within HIMARS range. If they're planning on bombarding Kherson, it's very much a "use-it-or-lose-it" situation and the liberation of Berslav is close.

Although, I do question, is Kherson within range of barrel artillery in Chaplynka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Somaen posted:

https://theins.ru/en/news/256182

Looks like there will be some employment opportunities for american basement dwellers to show up on RT and explain how technically, it wasn't a genocide and didn't happen anyway and happened only to those grain hiding counter-revolutionaries

Goddamn, that is pure evil. I'd be so angry if I were Ukrainian.