Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Her dad hates her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

euphronius posted:

I think at least her family probably approves of her? maybe not.

Uhhh her parents hate her now

Her dad is a prominent marxist academic, he's horrified by her

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Was it here someone posted a tweet with a video of truss looking scared and lost on a podium?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think at least her family probably approves of her? maybe not.

her dad is said to be appalled by her

e:f;b

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Burn my body for warmth imo

more like burn it for electricity

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

has truss's popularity hit 0% yet

i think technically it’s negative already

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1582691704015966208

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Imagine the savings you’d get from burning pensioners for warmth

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1582717657127669761

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i guess Hunt doesn't give a gently caress but she has to pretend to care because of their base lol

good lord they created this mess, this is the laissez faire free for all they wanted. It seems they just never imagined what it would be like to actually govern during it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

quote:

Before joining Downing Street, Jason Stein used to work as a communications adviser to Prince Andrew.

:eyepop:

also what does all slips withdrawn mean?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Quotey posted:

Imagine the savings you’d get from burning pensioners for warmth

TBH the triple lock is poo poo, it should have been indexed to wages from the start and the only reason it isn't is because pensioners vote Tory

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Private Speech posted:

TBH the triple lock is poo poo, it should have been indexed to wages from the start and the only reason it isn't is because pensioners vote Tory

Agreed and this is why labour are silent on it: they want to get rid of it because it's a stupid formula but don't want the headlines of "labour kills your gran", far better to let Truss or Hunt do it then just not reinstate it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

i think technically it’s negative already

lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
British journalism is the best in the world

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1582709803021111296?t=rWzsJiPgMckFTTZztab8hA

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lobster shirt posted:

The excuse slip totally signed by your mom doesn't count, you have to attend.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sooooo much looting is going to happen.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lobster shirt posted:

I was wondering too and found this explainer.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1582753580746174465

another one

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1582755597120077825

Tincans has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Oct 19, 2022

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Looks like Hunt sacked her lmao

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Aw it was quite fun watching her have a tantrum about woke tofu guardianistas whilst Yvette Cooper laughed in her face.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lmao good bye you fash oval office

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was something email related

https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky/status/1582759998974611456?s=20&t=wDJqYAIhjc7wpW-8uBHdzw

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hillary Braverman

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

e: my av takes empty-quoting to a whole nother level

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

[dj kalidishly]another one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

It would have been fine if she wasn't promising big spending for energy bills and no spending cuts. Had she promised austerity and the tax cuts it would have been fine

I am kinda confused by this. wouldn't austerity have tanked things worse than Keynesian deficit spending?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

it’s spelled crises

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yesterday I learned that servile brits have used the fact that charles said "back again? dear oh dear" to truss to fall in love with him and proclaim him the people's king

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i say swears online posted:

I am kinda confused by this. wouldn't austerity have tanked things worse than Keynesian deficit spending?

It wouldn't have, and isn't now hunt is doing it, spooked bankers the way unfunded borrowing did. Hell, even Corbyn's plans were entirely fully funded lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They're really going to stop women from having any power in the UK, aren't they? First they killed Liz, now they've taken down Sue-Ellen, and the other Liz has been reduced to a mere puppet. Guess men just hate girlbosses too much.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonadic io posted:

It wouldn't have, and isn't now hunt is doing it, spooked bankers the way unfunded borrowing did. Hell, even Corbyn's plans were entirely fully funded lmao

my friend linked me a Mises article arguing that deficit spending spooked markets and I've been trying to not agree with that libertarian dogma

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

lol. the lettuce is absolutely going to outlast her

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol they put a plate of tofu next to the lettuce

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

i say swears online posted:

it would have been just as bad. this whole thing kicked off with a shock to gilt rates, and if ur government announces "we are going to induce a recession" it is going to cause everybody to dump uk assets for other things. and people are already fleeing to the dollar cuz of fed pump.

to deficit spend u need somebody to buy ur deficit, or for ur domestic industry to increase production in response to ur fx rates crashing. but u cant just let ur fx crash because u need to buy energy, and everybody wants usd for that now. also the uk doesnt have a domestic industry so instead of substitution for domestic u just get less consumption.

the real issue is that the government is run by loving idiots and everybody knows theyre loving idiots. unfunded direct energy subsidy is literally the stupidest possible mechanism to fix the energy issues. if they had even half funded it with a windfall tax the reaction would not have been nearly as bad. if the bank of england was willing to play along like they did with johnson, it woul dnot have been this bad. but inflation is 10% there is no way boe is going to give a poo poo about the gilt market.

some sort of fish has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Oct 19, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I can't keep up with nonsense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

some sort of fish posted:

it would have been just as bad. this whole thing kicked off with a shock to gilt rates, and if ur government announces "we are going to induce a recession" it is going to cause everybody to dump uk assets for other things. and people are already fleeing to the dollar cuz of fed pump.

to deficit spend u need somebody to buy ur deficit, or for ur domestic industry to increase production in response to ur fx rates crashing. but u cant just let ur fx crash because u need to buy energy, and everybody wants usd for that now. also the uk doesnt have a domestic industry so instead of substitution for domestic u just get less consumption.

the real issue is that the government is run by loving idiots and everybody knows theyre loving idiots. unfunded direct energy subsidy is literally the stupidest possible mechanism to fix the energy issues. if they had even half funded it with a windfall tax the reaction would not have been nearly as bad. if the bank of england was willing to play along like they did with johnson, it woul dnot have been this bad. but inflation is 10% there is no way boe is going to give a poo poo about the gilt market.

thanks. i was kinda wondering if it had to do with perception of future policy instead of actual enacted policy. this is a good explanation of what the markets expected/could endure

also

forkboy84 posted:

I can't keep up with nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug