Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eikre posted:

wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Decided to create a nee world, since all my pre-existing worlds pre-date Shimmer.
Thought to myself, "I'll make a Master world and start a new char. How hard could it be?"

Oh. Oh dear!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Moreau posted:

Decided to create a nee world, since all my pre-existing worlds pre-date Shimmer.
Thought to myself, "I'll make a Master world and start a new char. How hard could it be?"

Oh. Oh dear!

you think that's bad wait til you see the getfixedboi seed

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

I feel like a Terraria 2 could bring a better UI/UX. There's a lot of extremely useful convenience features that aren't really explained at all ingame

Its so fun scrolling for 5 minutes to find what you want to craft when you have all the crafting stations placed close to each other

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just let me click on something in the inventory and bring up the crafting tree I can make if I'm near the appropriate station.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Last run through I was using my gaudy 15 button mouse and I really miss it this time around. I've always resisted using the number row and instead scrolling through equipment/guns in games with the wheel, so I'm always going back and forth between pickaxe/weapon/torches etc and its not ideal. Finally moved torches up next to the pickaxe and now I keep scrolling past them to where they used to be. I used to have buttons on the mouse bound to specific slots. I really need to just learn to start using the number keys.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i mean you don’t need to keep your pickaxe or axe or torches on the hotbar. just hold shift while mousing over the appropriate thing you wanna mine and it will pick the right tool, hold it a bit further away from your character and it will pick a torch, and hold it even further and it will pick glowsticks or a flare gun.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

Its so fun scrolling for 5 minutes to find what you want to craft when you have all the crafting stations placed close to each other

It’s not MUCH better because you still have to pick it out of a block, but if you click that little button with a nine pick and squares (I think) it will display everything you can craft on a grid. It’ll still be tons of items and you have to find the thing, but it’s way easier than endless scrolling.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ok so I hit hard mode and the pirates showed up at the next opportunity and I have no way to kill them. Am I Game Over?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the console versions have some UI improvements that I wish were also in the PC release. Like having drop-down menus for settings instead of making you click repeatedly to cycle through each of the different options (and if you click one too many times you need to loop all the way back around)
And the crafting UI is shown as a grid by default and even lets you search and filter items.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Saxophone posted:

It’s not MUCH better because you still have to pick it out of a block, but if you click that little button with a nine pick and squares (I think) it will display everything you can craft on a grid. It’ll still be tons of items and you have to find the thing, but it’s way easier than endless scrolling.
Yeah, I'm glad they added the big grid view because at this point there's just too many recipes to scroll through, but even when there were a fraction of this the linear scroll was a bad choice.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mayveena posted:

Ok so I hit hard mode and the pirates showed up at the next opportunity and I have no way to kill them. Am I Game Over?

Just keep killing them. Once you kill enough of them, the invasion will stop - you don't need to do it all in a single life.

You can also just go underground. I think the pirates will only appear close to your spawn point. They'll still be there when you return, probably, but you can still adventure around and get more stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Vizuyos posted:

Just keep killing them. Once you kill enough of them, the invasion will stop - you don't need to do it all in a single life.

You can also just go underground. I think the pirates will only appear close to your spawn point. They'll still be there when you return, probably, but you can still adventure around and get more stuff.

Good idea. All my NPC’s died anyway so might as well go underground. Thanks!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Vizuyos posted:

You can't use pylons if there's an invasion event going on...

Mayveena posted:

All my NPC’s died
...or that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I almost took a sick day today cause I wanted to just play all day. Been so fuckin busy lately.

Finally got the tinkerer last night, finding him near some underground space biome with a teleporting cum pool that I've never seen before?

Can anyone think of a progression payoff in a game as satisfying as getting the tinkerer and combining all the accessories?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Mad Dragon posted:

You can't use pylons if there's an invasion event going on...

...or that.

Yeah, but if you just need some more hardmode ores to build gear capable of taking on the pirates, or something like that, you can just run away and jump down a cave and go hunting around.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm starting a new game of terraria after years away. They got rid of the old trick where you can hoard crates before hardmode then open them up and get all of the new ores, right?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
These slime pets are so freaking cute

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

codo27 posted:

I almost took a sick day today cause I wanted to just play all day. Been so fuckin busy lately.

Finally got the tinkerer last night, finding him near some underground space biome with a teleporting cum pool that I've never seen before?

Congrats on finding the Shimmer, start hucking items into it.

Clark Nova posted:

I'm starting a new game of terraria after years away. They got rid of the old trick where you can hoard crates before hardmode then open them up and get all of the new ores, right?

You can still do it if you find the Shimmer, which will transform the crates into their Hardmode equivalents.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

You can still do it if you find the Shimmer, which will transform the crates into their Hardmode equivalents.

The Shimmer only shows up in new worlds, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, it needs to be a world generated since the Labor of Love update.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mad Dragon posted:

The Shimmer only shows up in new worlds, right?

yeah it only spawns naturally in worlds that were generated after the update. you can craft a bucket that lets you place it anywhere and create your own shimmer biome if there isn’t one in your world but it’s a post-Moon Lord recipe.

alternatively, just use TEdit and copy/paste a shimmer biome from a new world into your current world. I promise nobody will judge you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want a seed that's guaranteed to have all the things in it somewhere

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kenning posted:

Isn't it the other way around? Wiki says the Shimmer turns hardmode crates into pre-hardmode crates, but doesn't turn pre-hardmode crates into hardmode crates.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah, you're probably right, I misremembered.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Augus posted:

yeah it only spawns naturally in worlds that were generated after the update. you can craft a bucket that lets you place it anywhere and create your own shimmer biome if there isn’t one in your world but it’s a post-Moon Lord recipe.

alternatively, just use TEdit and copy/paste a shimmer biome from a new world into your current world. I promise nobody will judge you.

I will be doing exactly this for my server once TModLoader is updated to 1.4.4

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The whole crate transformation thing sound like it would be useful for decoration purposes and very little else. That said I did actually convert a bunch of pearlwood crates into regular wooden crates because the wiki said only the wooden crates had the step-stool in it, this later turned out to be completely untrue but I still got a step-stool out of it so no loss there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Took care of EoW last night, that rounds out the original 3. Got my shadow armor, another mobility boon.

Now I just need to increase my damage. Mainly using a hurtful ball o'hurt right now, 34 dmg. I have the minishark as well but its just too weak.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I started a don't dig up seed playthrough and INTENDED to not use any of my items from my complete playthroughs...

Yeah, that lasted until shortly after I completed my hellevator and ran across the jungle temple ON THE SURFACE. My poor little dude didn't last long against the half dozen lihzarhds. Logged into my main playthrough world and raided my unused equipment chests and now things are once again too easy.

Decided to drill a second hellevator the fast way (Celebration Mk2 and MkIV rockets), and that was going well, I even found a chest in the middle of a cavity created by all the explosions!

It was a dead man's chest. I died again.

I love this game.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I had one idea for Terraria 2. Take note I never played with mods so don't if this was made, but....

Weapon Skills. You'd have on your character skill slots (more slots can be added with a consumable item) which you can place Skill scrolls. These can be obtained via enemy drops, chests, NPCs, etc. The NPCs in mind would be like swordmasters, judo masters, sorcerers, whatever. They can sell skills and give dailies ala Angler that some can be rewarded to.

The skills themselves would be based on the weapon type. For example, a skill that would allow you to do a large charging slash with a broadsword if the attack button is held long enough. Other ideas would be shockwaves and impact blasts for hammers or whirlwind swings for axes. The main purpose is to give other melee weapons a way to be more useful in combat instead of just tools.

Another idea would be to have martial art skills and weapons, like knuckles, gauntlets, and more. Skills could do things like rushing punches or kicks to familiars moves like a Shoryuken.

This might be a bit too complex for Terraria, but I'd love to see what they could doeto improve on combat.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

boxen posted:

I started a don't dig up seed playthrough and INTENDED to not use any of my items from my complete playthroughs...

Yeah, that lasted until shortly after I completed my hellevator and ran across the jungle temple ON THE SURFACE. My poor little dude didn't last long against the half dozen lihzarhds.

The Lihzards will only spawn outside the temple if you're standing right in front of the door. They'll shock you if you're going "wait, what the heck is this" and trying to peek through the keyhole, but you won't run into any if you're just going over the top on the way to something else.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Not only is Don't Dig Up a good remix that offers principled changes to the game progression, but I like the implication created for the setting by having you fight your way out of a last-bastion situation on a temperate island in hell.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eikre posted:

Not only is Don't Dig Up a good remix that offers principled changes to the game progression, but I like the implication created for the setting by having you fight your way out of a last-bastion situation on a temperate island in hell.

Eh, I found it got old real fast once you made it to the surface. the constant assault by eaters just was not fun at all.

I wish you could mix and match the special world seeds a little more, personally.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Being able to mix seeds instead of picking just one or all would be great, yeah. From what I've played of it so far, I'd definitely like the Zenith seed a lot more if I could cut out the bits from The Constant and Not The Bees and keep most of the rest.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would just want a world generation algorith/size where everything... biomes, loot etc always appears at least once.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
There's mods for that in tmodloader, but it's still behind the latest update.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Eh, I found it got old real fast once you made it to the surface. the constant assault by eaters just was not fun at all.

I wish you could mix and match the special world seeds a little more, personally.

The surface is the most open part of the game, and this seed appropriates that quality to create a space where you're incentivized to stay on the move the entire time you're there. If your destination is the dungeon or sky islands, then there's a shelter there for you to collect yourself before proceeding. If your destination is a meteor, then you're already on your way to a biome predicated on managing an endless stream of flying enemies. I certainly don't blame you for not finding it your cup of tea, but it's clearly a considerate change that brings numerous game elements together into a consistent whole.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Eikre posted:

The surface is the most open part of the game, and this seed appropriates that quality to create a space where you're incentivized to stay on the move the entire time you're there. If your destination is the dungeon or sky islands, then there's a shelter there for you to collect yourself before proceeding. If your destination is a meteor, then you're already on your way to a biome predicated on managing an endless stream of flying enemies. I certainly don't blame you for not finding it your cup of tea, but it's clearly a considerate change that brings numerous game elements together into a consistent whole.

I get what you're saying but burned out on it precisely because it messes with the progression in a very chaotic way. I dug all the way to the surface in silver armor and spent like 45 minutes trying to farm floating eyes because I couldn't figure out how to spawn the Eye of Cthulhu and needed to use the item. Then I had to do the same thing with Eater of Worlds (including looking up where the corruption even is), and at that point I was able to mine hellstone and basically skip the entire pre-hardmode progression.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just cannot do anything with skeletron on expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it'd been awhile since I played (terraria, right?) and didn't get him after a couple goes so I went and got upgrades. I got a little lucky with what I could use since I found a sharpening stone in the jungle underground which adds a bunch of damage through his armor.

So in total my setup was: meatball, Grey zapper (pump until mana out), molten armor, crimson rain staff, imp staff summon, two fireball towers (+1 from using an eternia item)

buffs were just: sharpening stone buff, ironskin, bast statue, campfire, heart and star lanterns

spent a chunk of time mostly kiting with the dot from imp and fireballs and rain chipping at the skull. chthulu shield charge and running boots made dodging possible. popped the hands later so less damage was needed to be safe. threw meatball behind me when he chased in last phase for big damage otherwise focused on dodging the rapid charges

i am not sure if the 2 eternia towers were critical but I felt they did help. they are easy to get so worth trying if you don't have them