Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Amazing speedrunning by Truss of the role of First Lord of the Treasury.

Will never be beaten.

A name to live in infamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How many ministers have resigned this year now?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So has Boris Johnson got back from the Caribbean in time for the three-line-whip-no-slips fracking vote?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
being fired for hillarycrime is a certain sign that whatever she actually did is either so heinous the blowback would ruin them all or Hunt is exceptionally hosed off from the triple lock continuation being surprised announced at pmqs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

MPs openly defying the whip on Twitter now. Place your bets on what time she goes.

I’ll take 2130 tonight

This would make it the best birthday I've ever had :toot:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So apparently George Canning lasted 139 days, and Liz Truss may be about to obliterate that record

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

C'mon, let it repeat as farce https://twitter.com/ZaltzCricket/status/1582771175465156614

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tesseraction posted:

Something that could spook the markets eh

some kind of large bird-of-prey?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So apparently George Canning lasted 139 days, and Liz Truss may be about to obliterate that record

i think she has to get to 1 Jan 2023 to not be the shortest PM in history and lol lmao etc at that

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
At this point I'm not convinced this isn't all an elaborate multi-media event concocted by the BBC, possibly "inspired" by our shenanigans from 2017-2021 and just waiting to be exported back to us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Lmao gently caress off Suella you absolute oval office

It's this. This is my opinion.

Nenonen posted:

How many ministers have resigned this year now?

Under Boris

Oliver Dowden, Party Chairman
Sajid Javid, Health Secretary
Rishi Sunak, Chancellor
Michelle Donelan, Education
Simon Hart, Wales
Brandon Lewis, Northern Ireland
Plus Michael Gove was sacked from Levelling Up, Housing & Communities

I can't really remember who Liz kicked out when she took over from Boris, Nadhim Zahawi was one, Grant Shapps was one, Steve Barclay another, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab. It gets hard keeping up with it.

Since she actually took over there's only been 2 but they are from 2 of the 4 Great Offices, Kwarteng & Braverman. And also Conor Burns was a Minister of State & got sacked for groping.

Strong & stable

So yeah, quite a lot.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
apologies if this has been posted already but lol if it's true

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1582324631129665538

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

lurpak is the bees knees i will fight you on this

Dramona butter is the stuff you need, the only decent thing to ever come out of Cullybackey. :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
French butter is ace but it is so expensive, I only have it if I am on holiday in France (at the expansive estates of my brother - who is the caretaker before you get the guillotines out) and can bundle it into Capital Expenditure (Holidays).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

Dramona butter is the stuff you need, the only decent thing to ever come out of Cullybackey. :colbert:

Agree with this. NI butter is the best. gently caress lurpak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

French butter is ace but it is so expensive, I only have it if I am on holiday in France (at the expansive estates of my brother - who is the caretaker before you get the guillotines out) and can bundle it into Capital Expenditure (Holidays).

I got some from M&S a bunch of years back and it is indeed dead nice.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Watched part of the fracking thing and it's just "who are you?" Tories in heavily anti-fracking areas loyally throwing themselves under the bus and gifting red wall seats away.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

just buy £1 margarine or whatever out of aldi and put a bit of table salt on it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I am enjoying the idea that the version of Napoleon returning from Elba for the English is going to be Bojo swanning in from his hols in the Caribbean.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
So It seems to be a pretty universal assumption that Braverman resigned after being told her "launch migrants back into the channel with a trebuchet" immigration policy was off the cards because the public finances can't cover the cost of a trebuchet.

What's the probability that the upcoming fracking confidence-but-not-a-confidence vote will backfire horrendously? I can't see the threat of losing the whip as being all that effective when applied against Tory MPs who've already seen their reelection chances drop down the toilet over the course of the last few weeks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you can make butter with cream using a whisk, you can make it spreadable butter by mixing olive oil into it. £7.50 worth of cream going to get you a lot more than that lurpack and you are going to end up with a jug of butter milk worth a fiver as well.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tory MP…

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

Soylent Yellow posted:

What's the probability that the upcoming fracking confidence-but-not-a-confidence vote will backfire horrendously? I can't see the threat of losing the whip as being all that effective when applied against Tory MPs who've already seen their reelection chances drop down the toilet over the course of the last few weeks.

Unlikely to backfire I reckon.

- Not economically viable to frack in the UK
- Assurances given that locals can veto it.

Meaning that if it passes then fracking is very unlikely to happen anyway. No benefits to voting against but consequences in losing the whip.

Declaring it as a confidence vote means they can point at it afterwards as a win and say "See! The party has confidence in her!"

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Given the polling and the fact many were apparently resigned to losing their seat next election anyway, wouldn't the smart thing be to defy the government, lose the whip, then cross the floor looking principled instead of an opportunist?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nilbop posted:

I am enjoying the idea that the version of Napoleon returning from Elba for the English is going to be Bojo swanning in from his hols in the Caribbean.

Napoleon was a baddy, Johnson has already laid the groundwork for pushing himself as the modern Cincinnatus.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

escapegoat posted:

Given the polling and the fact many were apparently resigned to losing their seat next election anyway, wouldn't the smart thing be to defy the government, lose the whip, then cross the floor looking principled instead of an opportunist?

Only for Labour to screech "you can't sit with us" Mean Girlsishly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Only for Labour to screech "you can't sit with us" Mean Girlsishly

I don't know if that would happen given how they've treated all the tory defectors up to now, probably get a personal blowie from starmer himself at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What would you do if you were an anti-fracking tory but know that if you vote against the bill tonight, you'll lose the whip and not have any say in the party going forward and your letter of no-confidence would no longer be valid.

I think I would try to get sufficient numbers to agree to defy the whip that by doing so would make the tory party a minority govt but at the end of the day could you trust anyone to go through with it? Or maybe 'cross the floor' at this point.

Not likely to happen. Brady reportedly has at least 100 letters of no confidence and I'm told he has reduced his threshold for suspending the rules on immunity from half the Parliamentary party to a third. That would mean he needs fewer than 20 more letters. If there's anyone in a red wall seat or a fracking target area who hasn't yet submitted a letter, they will have done so by midnight.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Beat the other rats off the ship and appear honourable! 42 year old mum discovers this easy trick (whips hate it)
1) Send a government document that's about to be published to your personal email address.
2) Forward it to a government official
3) Report yourself for a technical breach of the rules
4) "Pretending we haven't made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can't see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Last time I did a comparison (a month or two ago), Asda's own-brand butter was £2.50 a tub, vs £5 for Lurpack. Is the £7.25 pack in one of those tiny branches where they whack the prices up because they know the people who shop there are a captive market who can't drive to a bigger, cheaper branch?
Lurpak is much higher in price than the 'I can't believe it's not butter' clones (because it is sctually is butter + veg oil, whether you believe or not), and i'm pretty sure the larger tubs at our local co-op were about that price when I went in last week.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Yank here. Could King Charles (thats weird to type) say "I do not have confidence in the government representing me and the people" and automatically trigger a GE?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
my partner insists on lurpak which is an annoying cost when I'd happily have any ol poo poo spread

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Cimber posted:

Yank here. Could King Charles (thats weird to type) say "I do not have confidence in the government representing me and the people" and automatically trigger a GE?

No, Parliament needs to have no confidence as it's His Majesty's Government

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cimber posted:

Not without getting decapitated.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cimber posted:

Constitutionally, yes. Really, no.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
just want to clarify on the thoughtcrime bill that you can't be tagged just because the cops think you might eat tofu. You can only be tagged for five years if two fascists claim you ate tofu in a loud and provocative manner. Then the police can tag you without trial and order you be placed under full house arrest whenever they suspect you could potentially join no less than one other person for a provocative and loud tofu lunch, resulting in a custodial sentence if you went to work before they phoned your house to inform you that they're doing this.

It's absolutely intended to work exactly like this but iirc they haven't had much luck in convicting white people of terror offences for carrying a bus pass, and it would actually be very funny to make a 100,000 strong crack team of post-2019 labour deserters whose only job is to disappear everyone who ever attends any event remotely related to the conservative party, which might also also be legal in the standard "maybe technically true, definitely not how a judge sees it, who gives a flying gently caress what judges think in 2022" way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cimber posted:

It would certainly be historically appropriate for him to give it a go :v:

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Rarity posted:

Lmao gently caress off Suella you absolute oval office

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
How likely is that bill to go ahead now that Poundshop Priti Patel is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

escapegoat posted:

How likely is that bill to go ahead now that Poundshop Priti Patel is gone?

If oval office's quietly shuffled her offstage for being hosed mental then presumably he'll be snuffing her baby in its crib as well