Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Man this opsec stuff sucks, I want to see some maps. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1582680802055180288

I hope the frontline food is okay. :ohdear:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1582659980133797890

Interesting account of the alleged friend fire incident in Kherson.

Can you translate

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

Can you translate

You can translate using google.

But tl;dr:

First tweet: "Take a photo, as if I'm at the front"

Second tweet: the rumors of a firefight between FSB and military goons this summer seems to be confirmed, a son of a high-ranking FSB guy wanted to be a governor of an occupied territory (that was never taken) but instead got into a drunken firefight with other fascists and was kicked out

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

You can translate using google.

But tl;dr:

First tweet: "Take a photo, as if I'm at the front"

Second tweet: the rumors of a firefight between FSB and military goons this summer seems to be confirmed, a son of a high-ranking FSB guy wanted to be a governor of an occupied territory (that was never taken) but instead got into a drunken firefight with other fascists and was kicked out

I tried to translate using Google and it made no sense

I also can't translate what it says on pictures, like Google Maps screenshots

So if someone who does read Russian posts something in Russian they should really translate it for those who don't

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enjoy posted:

So if someone who does read Russian posts something in Russian they should really translate it for those who don't

The Google Maps screenshot has geographic coordinates on it, in case you are unfamiliar with the Cyrillic and have chosen to ignore half a dozen posts discussing the context of that post. And no, in a thread where like half of the regulars are Russian speakers there is not going to be a requirement to translate long articles back into English - my best advice is to see if you have more luck with the translation service linked in the OP.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The google translate phone app can kinda translate stuff you point it at. It's not perfect, but works to get a general idea of what has been written if you have a baseline context.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Enjoy posted:

google lens works on images

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Google Maps screenshot has geographic coordinates on it, in case you are unfamiliar with the Cyrillic and have chosen to ignore half a dozen posts discussing the context of that post. And no, in a thread where like half of the regulars are Russian speakers there is not going to be a requirement to translate long articles back into English - my best advice is to see if you have more luck with the translation service linked in the OP.

Can we at least get a synopsis in English? That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Can we at least get a synopsis in English? That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Not from me, when the article appears to be adequately readable when you follow the advice in the OP on translation tools, having wasted my time now on reading a machine translation of the first 5 paragraphs of the article, to confirm that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Man this opsec stuff sucks, I want to see some maps. :saddowns:

This is the closest I've seen to an indication that the Ukrainian offensive has even started:

No specifics yet, if it's real. Between Ukraine's excellent opsec and Russia's crackdown on milbloggers, we're unfortunately just not getting a lot of information.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Phlegmish posted:

This is the closest I've seen to an indication that the Ukrainian offensive has even started:

No specifics yet, if it's real. Between Ukraine's excellent opsec and Russia's crackdown on milbloggers, we're unfortunately just not getting a lot of information.

FIRMS data seems to support this.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

If Ukraine can advance beyond Mylove the Russians west of the river are in big trouble so progress here fits with their retreat plans. Seems pretty likely.

More evidence (lol)

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1582825469594193921

The Geroman twitter user has a history of posting about large Ukrainian assaults being repelled when they were actually successful in all of the previous offensives. We'll see if the pattern holds.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 19, 2022

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://translate.yandex.com/ocr

I've been using yandex to translate telegram screenshots and the like, hopefully I haven't been sending all my personal data directly to Putin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/niktwick/status/1582815503093239813

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1582861415500873729

Interesting map. The line starts a bit north of Horlivka, and stops slightly short of reaching Kreminna, hugging the river until the state border with Ukraine from thereon.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1582861415500873729

Interesting map. The line starts a bit north of Horlivka, and stops slightly short of reaching Kreminna, hugging the river until the state border with Ukraine from thereon.

I’m no fancy 4 star Major-General-Colonel but that Northwest spur looks super defendable.

Is this the fall back position, or are they acknowledging that north of that river isn’t something they can hold?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
nn

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Crow Buddy posted:

I’m no fancy 4 star Major-General-Colonel but that Northwest spur looks super defendable.

Is this the fall back position, or are they acknowledging that north of that river isn’t something they can hold?

Honestly, other than that weird spur (which makes sense geographically, but wouldn’t be fun to defend), it seems like they are preparing to retreat back to pre-2022 lines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crow Buddy posted:

2nd line defence according to RU MoD.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems to cut right through Lysychansk, which is rather odd. Are they planning to take up defensive positions within the city itself?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It seems to cut right through Lysychansk, which is rather odd. Are they planning to take up defensive positions within the city itself?

I think that’s just lazy “cartography”, the entire line is “doctrinal X km away from the frontline” + “hey let’s use the river since there’s gently caress all north of it anyway”.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1582938879329722369?s=20&t=NQj69OSz1FbI6gpyomKvNg

The amount of water that could be released in such an event would appear to be much worse than damaging the dam on the Inhulets.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

MikeC posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1582938879329722369?s=20&t=NQj69OSz1FbI6gpyomKvNg

The amount of water that could be released in such an event would appear to be much worse than damaging the dam on the Inhulets.

Doesn't that also make the nuclear plant on the south of the reservoir not have water to cool with?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FishBulbia posted:

I wouldn't read too much into the martial law thing. That was already the de facto state.

no no. previously the DNR and LNR were under a de facto, homegrown state of martial law under a nascent and largely unrecognized police state. now they're in an official state of martial law under a well-established police state.it's premium brand martial law

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VSOKUL girl posted:

no no. previously the DNR and LNR were under a de facto, homegrown state of martial law under a nascent and largely unrecognized police state. now they're in an official state of martial law under a well-established police state.it's premium brand martial law

VSOPS - Vladimir's Superior Oligarch Police State

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

It would be really disastrous, since the dam is holding 18.18 cubic kilometres of water - the reservoir behind it is roughly 230x9.3 kilometres. The one aspect where blowing that up doesn’t make sense to me is how they plan to ensure Crimean water supply if they blow the dam up and leave.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would be really disastrous, since the dam is holding 18.18 cubic kilometres of water - the reservoir behind it is roughly 230x9.3 kilometres. The one aspect where blowing that up doesn’t make sense to me is how they plan to ensure Crimean water supply if they blow the dam up and leave.

Step 1: Blow up dam
Step 3: Win war special military operation
Step Profit: Grateful new little russian brothers build new dam and grant Crimea all the water out of contrition.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The one aspect where blowing that up doesn’t make sense to me is how they plan to ensure Crimean water supply if they blow the dam up and leave.

Possibly they're assuming Ukraine would just cut off the supply anyway if the take the river back so effectively not a loss. Possibly they're just prepared to make that sacrifice for a short temporary gain(?). But yeah for the reason you give it does seem pretty unlikely.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Haystack posted:

Step 1: Blow up dam
Step 3: Win war special military operation
Step Profit: Grateful new little russian brothers build new dam and grant Crimea all the water out of contrition.

I believe the waterworks junction directing water to Crimea is something further downstream, and, in all fairness, the supply problem was that it was closed, which hypothetical dam demolitions upstream shouldn’t undo, but I cannot shake the feeling that this move would quite likely involve some rather undesirable infrastructure damage not in Russia’s interests.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If they blow the dam, considering it will flood their side of the Dnipro worse, and cut off Crimea's water for a very long time, honestly I could only see them doing that if they planned to abandon Crimea. Which is quite unlikely, but with Kherson now on the edge and the bridge damaged, a lot more plausible than it was even a month ago. Still, it would be admitting total long-term defeat on that front, so I don't think Putin would do it. There's other insane ways he could escalate that are still less dumb than that.

If it happens it doesn't make sense. But of course Russia don't make no sense these days, they keep playing nuclear chicken with the Zaporizhzhia plant, on top of y'know, the whole vaporize their own economy and demographics with this war in the first place.

Hopefully the Kherson offense gets there first and the Russian officers hypothetically tasked with rigging the dam to blow spent that time strapping more washing machines to their BMPs instead.

EDIT

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I believe the waterworks junction directing water to Crimea is something further downstream, and, in all fairness, the supply problem was that it was closed, which hypothetical dam demolitions upstream shouldn’t undo, but I cannot shake the feeling that this move would quite likely involve some rather undesirable infrastructure damage not in Russia’s interests.

I believe this shows the entrance to the aqueduct for Crimea. it is connected to the dam's reservoir almost flush with the dam. I'm no geo-engineer, but if that reservoir empties it looks very possible that water would no longer reach the aqueduct's entrance.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.7668478,33.3969674,1879m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 20, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They likely expect to lose the position and that UA cutting off the supply is a given, so blowing the thing up is not changing anything from that point of view. Considering the article from their former diplomat, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't convinced each other that a false flag would totally be bought by 'The West' and that the entire world would blame UA for it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MikeC posted:

ISW warned about potential Russian false flag attacks in the past, including chemical attack in Eastern Ukraine, false flag attacks in Transnistria or false flag attack in Kherson in June and afaik, nothing came of it. On the other hand, they damaged dam in the past, on Inhulets river, so who knows.

Edit:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The one aspect where blowing that up doesn’t make sense to me is how they plan to ensure Crimean water supply if they blow the dam up and leave.
Probably same way they did in the past, water shortage in Crimea is nothing new - some promises about new wells or even desalinization plant while they build something like this

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 20, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Russia thinks its playing a long game and someone may have been impressed by Ukraine's use ofvterrain shaping during the Battle 9f Kyiv. Fascism loves to one-up others without truly understanding things.

In general I don't think something not being in Russia's interest Caan be used to predict Russian behavior. They are constantly doing things against their own interest. We need to look at every decision through the lens of a fascist, organized-crime state that views itself as an empire reclaiming lost glory.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Popular Front just dropped an episode about the Russian far right militias in Ukraine, https://www.popularfront.co/podcast. I knew they existed, but was not familiar with the names and individuals involved. Their upbringing in the Soviet times well as all the names that are frequently mentioned in this forum and their history was quite the interesting and suprising part.

I really like the hosts style and type of reporting, has a really good documentary on youtube about Ukrainian soccer hooligans fighting in Ukraine... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsodbPkjO3c1

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Russian airforce technology has sure taken a beating from the sanctions:

https://twitter.com/benglaze/status/1583052951865634816?s=20&t=bgHkMXZrsnkuaVzAxXow1A
https://twitter.com/benglaze/status/1583053341763829760?s=20&t=bgHkMXZrsnkuaVzAxXow1A

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Any possibility it was a warning shot? I know in these kinds of confrontation air forces like to do all sorts of things to scare the opposing force.

Seems expensive if it was a decent missile, though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Lol, nope.
Those kind of flights are routine between Russia and NATO countries. That kind of show would require similar reaction next time Russian plane does the same..
Also if they were to give final warning before shooting down trespasser it would be with a gun.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Gort posted:

Any possibility it was a warning shot? I know in these kinds of confrontation air forces like to do all sorts of things to scare the opposing force.

Seems expensive if it was a decent missile, though.

A warning shot in international airspace would not make a whole lot of sense to me and those Rivet Joints have been flying all over the place for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm going to wager a guess and say the Rivet Joint's international airspace was the Black Sea. It's a signals intelligence aircraft, the type of intelligence gathering that would uncover Russian troop movements, logistics, locations of officers, etc.