Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The home Secretary got sacked 4 hours ago and its not even front page news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1582814264590405632?s=20&t=vCo1G3JwTIHPqgwxyeU2PQ

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So is it gonna be Prime Minister Hunt then? I don't see who else takes over

Unless....

miss me yet?

Mate, they've been talking about bringing Theresa May back for fucksake.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

serious gaylord posted:

The home Secretary got sacked 4 hours ago and its not even front page news

She didn't get sacked she just happened to breach a ministerial code a couple times

She's new to this whole minister thing, seconds chances and all that

forkboy84 posted:

Mate, they've been talking about bringing Theresa May back for fucksake.

May had maybe the most stable Tory government of the last few years and that's saying something!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Boris Johnson, universally regarded as one of the most competent of the recent Tory leaders...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

I just cant, this is the best. The absolute best night.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Bet Larry didn't realise Chief Mouser was a viable path to becoming PM when he took the job.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Truly the best content this thread has seen in a very long time

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The time has come for The Baroness Davidson of Lundin Links to assume control of the UK government.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
They can't even quit properly
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1582817289241382914

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just in case foreign eyes on this thread aren't aware....

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1582773130270978048

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I picked the wrong evening to take a 2hr nana nap from 615-815pm.... this is all so exciting I've had to mute the tv so I can concentrate on catching up!

Thing is, this kind of thing (maybe not QUITE so bad) is what I expected would happen had Corbyn won an election - MPs in open revolt, crossing the floor & so on.
(NOT saying Corbyn is anything like Truss obviously but very unpopular with the PLP so they would have undermined him at any opportunity).

No sleeps, only dreams now

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Pretty tasty stuff but I'll be livid if we don't get a loving GE after this abolsute shower

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Wait so it was supposed to be a confidence vote??

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1582810927346647040?s=46&t=7D9MBRAovL9wluYe4_Wt7w

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:discourse:

this thread needs background music tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRm1_WK6vfU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/v8viva/status/1582809064383614976

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Jacob Rees-Smug, a true profile in courage.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1582819959109210112

:allears:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Schrodinger's Whip

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
What the actual gently caress is going on
This is amazing

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The lengths one woman will go to in order to satisfy her humiliation fetish are simply staggering

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Woman humiliates herself while loving entire country

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Jacob Rees-Smug, a true profile in courage.

Jacob REEEEE-smug

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jeherrin posted:

The lengths one woman will go to in order to satisfy her humiliation fetish are simply staggering

But she's completely out of whips.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is incredible

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Soylent Yellow posted:

But she's completely out of whips.

But she is being shat on

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This is a lot funnier than I expected

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The Thick of It was a documentary

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm trying to explain this to one of my friends (who is not familiar with UK generally), and I've probably missed something, but this is what I sent them:

So far in the last twelve hours:

It comes out that there's well over the normal amount of No-Confidence votes needed to trigger a "Leader of the Party" election have been submitted, and only the technicality of new Prime Ministers getting a year in power before being eligible to be forced to step down has prevented it from happening.

The British Home Secretary has resigned for showing confidential government material to a MP (it was a proposed government position paper, so it wasn't huge but sounds like it's a pretext for resigning and attacking the PM, or a pretext for firing the Minister for basically being a culture warrior needlessly stirring things up and causing the government trouble at a time when it's all teetering. It could plausibly be BOTH)

The Government declared that a vote (on fracking) would be a de-facto vote of confidence in the government, and instituted the strongest line of discipline (a "Three-Line" whip, meaning anyone who didn't vote for the Government would be kicked out of the party in Parliament)

Despite this level of urgency (including reports of a couple people being physically made to vote with the party), there are 40 people who didn't vote with the government, abstaining mostly.

This causes the party's whip and the deputy whip, fed up with the whole thing (having tried and somewhat failed to maintain party unity, partially because members of the Government were simultaneously saying "You vote for this or you metaphorically sleep with the fishes" and "Eh, vote how you want", quit.

It comes out that the Prime Minister was one of the abstentions for whatever reason (it's believed she missed the vote because she was dealing with the resignations)

A two-decade member of Parliament says what apparently many Conservative Party Parliament members feel, blaming the Government and predicting the party will lose something like 2/3ds ("Two Hundred or more") of their seats in Parliament as a result of the omnishambles the government(s) has been.

It's like a season of Twenty Four. All this in the space of just a few hours

What did I miss?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1582805128570363905

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

all votes won by the government are actually confidence votes retroactively so the government has the most confidence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

What did I miss?

You left out the lol and the lmao

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/1582808154735542272

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SirFozzie posted:

What did I miss?

You've implied that the rule for a year as PM before being open to letters of no confidence is a UK government rule as opposed to a Tory internal rule that will absolutely be removed or ignored as soon as they can agree on someone new to crown

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Failed Imagineer posted:

You left out the lol and the lmao

well, it doesn't make me L, either OL or MAO, it's more of that emoticon of the horrified person spilling popcorn and drinks everywhere.

Tarnop posted:

You've implied that the rule for a year as PM before being open to letters of no confidence is a UK government rule as opposed to a Tory internal rule that will absolutely be removed or ignored as soon as they can agree on someone new to crown

Good point.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
She'll be gone by Friday

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
It just occured to me, someone who I genuinely feel a bit bad for tonight, its Johnathan Pie. Imagine having to make a video about the past 24 hours, Its going to be 3-4x his regular video length even if he cuts it down to bare bones.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

serious gaylord posted:

She'll be gone by Friday

I will lol forever if it comes out the resignation was delayed just to beat the lettuce

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Who the gently caress watches Jonathan pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tarnop posted:

Who the gently caress watches Jonathan pie

Centrist dads