Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FiftySeven posted:

It just occured to me, someone who I genuinely feel a bit bad for tonight, its Johnathan Pie. Imagine having to make a video about the past 24 hours, Its going to be 3-4x his regular video length even if he cuts it down to bare bones.

I'm literally incapable of ever feeling bad for that pile

https://twitter.com/dickndom/status/1582810569790267392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1582815866340900864

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Insane Tory loyalists now calling for the king to unilaterally appoint Keir Starmer as prime minster, wtf

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1582799884901822464?s=20&t=5uDEo-ys5olut72bHxB6bw

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Practically speaking, how fast could an election be arranged? Weeks, right?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Oh, forgot to mention one of the Prime Minister's key aides being suspended for privately briefing against one of the PM's political rivals in a targeted attack.

In fairness, that was nearly what, ten hours ago? Ancient history.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

I'm literally incapable of ever feeling bad for that pile

https://twitter.com/dickndom/status/1582810569790267392

Truss might have the confidence of the House, but she has lost Da Bungalow.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Skull Servant posted:

Truss might have the confidence of the House, but she has lost Da Bungalow.

I mean, have you seen what she's done to their mortgage costs?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I needed to check who the shadow home secretary is for a WhatsApp conversation and I strongly recommend not looking at the official shadow cabinet page if you want to continue enjoying this carnage. Now I'm just sad again

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

Insane Tory loyalists now calling for the king to unilaterally appoint Keir Starmer as prime minster, wtf

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1582799884901822464?s=20&t=5uDEo-ys5olut72bHxB6bw

Legitimately more shocked by this than anything else today

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, have you seen what she's done to their mortgage costs?

Dick and Dom in Da's House

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

is there a link to the interview anywhere? i want to watch him being a oval office

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

peanut- posted:

When do you guys return to full divine right?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lawman 0 posted:

I've had to remind more than one yank tonight that no, Charles can't unilaterally dismiss the PM and we did in fact have a bit of a civil war about this

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Noxville posted:

Legitimately more shocked by this than anything else today

If you're a Tory ultra, what's preferable. Electoral annihilation or a calm handover of power that doesn't involve the plebs and doesn't reduce the Tories to fourth party?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jeherrin posted:

Practically speaking, how fast could an election be arranged? Weeks, right?

2019 GE:

Dissolution of parliament 6th Nov at 00:01am (just to miss Nov 5th I think!), election was 12th December so that's 5 weeks then polling day.
(Not sure how long the lead in to the dissolution was though).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Alan_McGuinness/status/1582780559989739522

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lawman 0 posted:

difficult to invoke as the continued existence of the uk proves conclusively there is no god

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Angepain posted:

difficult to invoke as the continued existence of the uk proves conclusively there is no god

Fair point.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tarnop posted:

I needed to check who the shadow home secretary is for a WhatsApp conversation and I strongly recommend not looking at the official shadow cabinet page if you want to continue enjoying this carnage. Now I'm just sad again

Not a fan of hers obviously, but she was good yesterday responding to the guardian reading, tofu eating, wokerati comments.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Is there somewhere I can get a summary of what has been going on with Truss recently? There was a blurb in the trump lol thread about how things are bad with the Tories, and the general population as well. I was going to visit Stratford so I hope you folks are doing ok.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SirFozzie posted:

I'm trying to explain this to one of my friends (who is not familiar with UK generally), and I've probably missed something, but this is what I sent them:

So far in the last twelve hours:

It comes out that there's well over the normal amount of No-Confidence votes needed to trigger a "Leader of the Party" election have been submitted, and only the technicality of new Prime Ministers getting a year in power before being eligible to be forced to step down has prevented it from happening.

The British Home Secretary has resigned for showing confidential government material to a MP (it was a proposed government position paper, so it wasn't huge but sounds like it's a pretext for resigning and attacking the PM, or a pretext for firing the Minister for basically being a culture warrior needlessly stirring things up and causing the government trouble at a time when it's all teetering. It could plausibly be BOTH)

The Government declared that a vote (on fracking) would be a de-facto vote of confidence in the government, and instituted the strongest line of discipline (a "Three-Line" whip, meaning anyone who didn't vote for the Government would be kicked out of the party in Parliament)

Despite this level of urgency (including reports of a couple people being physically made to vote with the party), there are 40 people who didn't vote with the government, abstaining mostly.

This causes the party's whip and the deputy whip, fed up with the whole thing (having tried and somewhat failed to maintain party unity, partially because members of the Government were simultaneously saying "You vote for this or you metaphorically sleep with the fishes" and "Eh, vote how you want", quit.

It comes out that the Prime Minister was one of the abstentions for whatever reason (it's believed she missed the vote because she was dealing with the resignations)

A two-decade member of Parliament says what apparently many Conservative Party Parliament members feel, blaming the Government and predicting the party will lose something like 2/3ds ("Two Hundred or more") of their seats in Parliament as a result of the omnishambles the government(s) has been.

It's like a season of Twenty Four. All this in the space of just a few hours

What did I miss?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is there somewhere I can get a summary of what has been going on with Truss recently? There was a blurb in the trump lol thread about how things are bad with the Tories, and the general population as well. I was going to visit Stratford so I hope you folks are doing ok.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

this is the guy who wandered around london during lockdown holding milk as a protest

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

serious gaylord posted:

The home Secretary got sacked 4 hours ago and its not even front page news

lmao your politics is just insane

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Yes. It’s:

quote:

Lol

And also

Lmao

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Sexual Aluminum posted:

How recent do you mean when you say recent? Because honestly, depending on your answer its A LOT.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Seth Pecksniff posted:

that's saying something!

it's really not

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

They got Brexit done don't worry about it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Angepain posted:

It's also consistent with the existence of a malevolent trickster god.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So even before Truss was put in her current position most MPs thought she wasn't PM material, but because of how the voting went she took the role anyway.

She has been proving this was a correct assessment on turbo in the last few weeks and basically lost all real power but somehow nobody else has stepped up for real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

Yes, it's important to remember who the Labour Party are. We're a long way from Jeremy Corbyn & hope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1582823056988205058
https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1582823352909332482

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Christ, I didn’t remember the 2019 election being called that late. So there’s still plenty of time then. I’m not sure I can handle another winter election, although at least I won’t have to spend it canvassing for Labour this time…

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

evilmiera posted:

So even before Truss was put in her current position most MPs thought she wasn't PM material, but because of how the voting went she took the role anyway.

She has been proving this was a correct assessment on turbo in the last few weeks and basically lost all real power but somehow nobody else has stepped up for real.

Don't forget that the guy who was expected to be the puppet Meister behind the scenes turned out to be so poo poo that his disaster capitalism company has tanked in value.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
liz truss will be fine and this will all have blown over by tomorrow

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If any foreign person wants to catch up with what's going on, just tune into Sky News (I don't think it's geo blocked) for constant updates. Everything is on fire. lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Answers Me posted:

Christ, I didn’t remember the 2019 election being called that late. So there’s still plenty of time then. I’m not sure I can handle another winter election, although at least I won’t have to spend it canvassing for Labour this time…
I think the more relevant question is; can the UK handle a winter election?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the more relevant question is; can the UK handle a winter election?

If the polling stations are heated then the public will flock there.

That's a big If though

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Angepain posted:

is there a link to the interview anywhere? i want to watch him being a oval office

Not seen anything longer than this so far:
https://twitter.com/TheCentreLefty/status/1582791769892491268

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has a PM ever abstained on their own confidence motion before, and will we ever know for sure if it was a confidence motion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sky News is reporting No.10 is saying that Truss DID vote, and that none of the whips have resigned