Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I have the first set, and they’re genuinely the nicest coasters I’ve ever owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://youtu.be/MDsJJRNXjYI

I’m sure there’s a hint of a cognizant argument in here but if it’s anything like when this came up on WAN Show (they have to pay for infrastructure maintenance guyssss) then lmao gently caress off Linus

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 20, 2022

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, poor Google, barely scraping by. I hope they manage

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Cross-Section posted:

https://youtu.be/MDsJJRNXjYI

I’m sure there’s a hint of a cognizant argument in here but if it’s anything like when this came up on WAN Show (they have to pay for infrastructure maintenance guyssss) then lmao gently caress off Linus

It's basically exactly that yeah. I'll give him the bitrate vs. resolution thing, but everything else could basically be summarized as "services cost money" and... yes, that's true, but it's completely pointless to state that like it's a new revelation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did Google sponsor this?

(Also, I tracerouted the server streaming this dumb LTT video, and it's on the network of my ISP. Last I remember, Google does ask to ISPs put proxy/edge servers on their networks, hooked up to their dark fiber to save on bandwidth over backbone networks.)

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Remember, Linus is the man that bans his staff for using adblockers. I'm sure he legitimately believes this.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
He also doesn’t let his staff use notepad

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wild EEPROM posted:

He also doesn’t let his staff use notepad

What

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i mean it's a good decision as far as making floatplane look like a more compelling product

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah,

What's wrong with notepad?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did Google sponsor this?

(Also, I tracerouted the server streaming this dumb LTT video, and it's on the network of my ISP. Last I remember, Google does ask to ISPs put proxy/edge servers on their networks, hooked up to their dark fiber to save on bandwidth over backbone networks.)

Linus benefits from premium members watching his videos. They generate significantly more money per view than if they were shown ads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah,

What's wrong with notepad?

Employees could use it to play Doom and we can't have that

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dunno, he mentioned it casually in one of those super long build and chat streams when talking about local storage on computers

I speculate the reason is so there aren’t any notepad files on a local machine that aren’t backed up in case of anything

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everything they build they eventually have a follow up video on how it broke or didn’t work, so I’d imagine backups are pretty important at Ltt

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everything they build they eventually have a follow up video on how it broke or didn’t work, so I’d imagine backups are pretty important at Ltt

Which backups, the ones they lost entirely or the other ones they lost entirely or the offsite that wasn’t updated for years or the other ones that were dying to bit rot and they had to run special programs to try and guess at the missing data (relatively easy since it’s all videos)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It’s pretty impressive they’ve had these issues plaguing them for over a decade now.

I wonder how much of it is the weird insistence to archive everything in original quality, no matter what.

Or is it just a continuous and reliable source of content and a way to make some sponsorships work.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It’s pretty impressive they’ve had these issues plaguing them for over a decade now.

The only tech tip is to not do what Linus does.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I wonder how much of it is the weird insistence to archive everything in original quality, no matter what.

Or is it just a continuous and reliable source of content and a way to make some sponsorships work.

It’s none of that, it’s just “I know computers” arrogance thinking they don’t need someone who actually knows what they’re doing at an enterprise level to look at it even once.

Said it before, they can make the content videos and then afterwards bring in the external consultant to actually do it, they get the content and the proper system.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I remember in college there was a guy who used to write all his assignments by double-clicking files on the school server in winscp, so they'd open in notepad, and then he'd compile using the ssh session he had open. I don't know if that's :ignorance: or :science:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

GN is back with more of the best youtuber merch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5Lo9n4Ul8

I got the first set (cost a fortune in shipping and import fees because I'm in the EU), and though they are cool and good quality, one warning: depending on the design, they only work with wide mugs. With smaller cups and especially bottles, they are quite wobbly due to the uneven base.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I got the first set (cost a fortune in shipping and import fees because I'm in the EU), and though they are cool and good quality, one warning: depending on the design, they only work with wide mugs. With smaller cups and especially bottles, they are quite wobbly due to the uneven base.

This is why I haven't got these, I know they wouldn't work with half the cups I have because it seems like they were designed solely for use with full size pint glasses with fully flat bottoms.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They've managed to lose a lot of data despite claiming to have good backups.

Rudager posted:

It’s none of that, it’s just “I know computers” arrogance thinking they don’t need someone who actually knows what they’re doing at an enterprise level to look at it even once.

Said it before, they can make the content videos and then afterwards bring in the external consultant to actually do it, they get the content and the proper system.
If they'd brought in a competent external consultant they wouldn't have lost data the exact same way several times.
They're arrogant in their ignorance, and glorify it for all to see.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Good from the standpoint of content.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arivia posted:

Which backups, the ones they lost entirely or the other ones they lost entirely or the offsite that wasn’t updated for years or the other ones that were dying to bit rot and they had to run special programs to try and guess at the missing data (relatively easy since it’s all videos)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everything they build they eventually have a follow up video on how it broke or didn’t work

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Uh oh, looks like Newegg is at it again! Though I don't know if the person on reddit bought the card from Newegg, or a third party vendor.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1583166820517023745?t=3Obl9z3Mpp2CD2Km1h6Naw&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

the convention has mostly shifted with the new console generation, it's the norm for games to have a 30fps/4K-ish mode and a 60fps/upscaled mode now

very few PS5/XSX games only support 30fps as far as i know, so console players have become accustomed to 60fps again

hell they even have 120fps in more esport-sy titles now

Now that it's come out it's clear that Gotham Knights can't even reliably hit 30fps so even that standard was too high of a mark.

https://www.ign.com/articles/gotham-knights-review

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

Uh oh, looks like Newegg is at it again! Though I don't know if the person on reddit bought the card from Newegg, or a third party vendor.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1583166820517023745?t=3Obl9z3Mpp2CD2Km1h6Naw&s=19

My money’s on a return that no-one opened the box to check and then got resold.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kramjacks posted:

Looks like one of those disks of uranium that has “DROP & RUN” etched on it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

My money’s on a return that no-one opened the box to check and then got resold.

On a $2000 item? That seems... unlikely. Newegg may be loving up their returns and RMAs, but it's not like they weren't opening the boxes. (They were opening the boxes, finding a damaged board, getting manufacturer denied repair, and trying to sell them again.)

Seems more likely to be a theft. Possibly at newegg's warehouse, possibly during shipment, possibly in asia before newegg got it. Random metal blanks make be think at or near the factory. It's not like most people have a 6" aluminum disk sitting around.

OTOH I'm also not sure what to think -- those weights would rattle around in the box and clang against each other. How did that work during any length of shipping time? And newegg, any time I've ever ordered from them (not for a few years now), have shipped stuff in an outer box. Package theft is gonna be someone stealing the whole thing. Some fedex worker isn't gonna open and carefully replace a GPU with correct weights like indiana jones.

But this is why you don't gently caress up your reputation. Newegg has visibly hosed over their customers, so now anything is believable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Klyith posted:

Package theft is gonna be someone stealing the whole thing. Some fedex worker isn't gonna open and carefully replace a GPU with correct weights like indiana jones.

I bought a Macbook off Amazon last year, the delivery driver opened the box, replaced the laptop with 2 large bottles of soy sauce and resealed it. So it can happen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

I bought a Macbook off Amazon last year, the delivery driver opened the box, replaced the laptop with 2 large bottles of soy sauce and resealed it. So it can happen.

you know, I forget about how most criminals are real dumb and don't think things through, such as "how will putting weights inside a box like indiana jones actually help my theft escape detection?"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

you know, I forget about how most criminals are real dumb and don't think things through, such as "how will putting weights inside a box like indiana jones actually help my theft escape detection?"

I imagine the box is weighed at each stop, and a record is kept. 2 bottles of soy is very stupid, as it's probably not even close to correct weight, but I think the idea is to throw the scent off where exactly the weight changed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

njsykora posted:

I respect the hustle

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1583172536095113216

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
It’s almost like that meeting they had with a bunch of people who all had been with <12 months may have been mostly for show

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rudager posted:

It’s almost like that meeting they had with a bunch of people who all had been with <12 months may have been mostly for show

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I imagine the box is weighed at each stop, and a record is kept. 2 bottles of soy is very stupid, as it's probably not even close to correct weight, but I think the idea is to throw the scent off where exactly the weight changed.

The box is weighted at every stop on the shipping route, it gets put in in the delivery truck... and then the thief does the soy sauce swap to hide when the weight changed? That doesn't seem like it's throwing off any scent. The opposite in fact.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The criminal mastermind uses dry ice as ballast so the weight disappears in transit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rudager posted:

I feel like someone in the threadpredicted that this is exactly what would happen at the time lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's funny how in the era when both NCIX and Newegg existed I felt that Newegg was the dodgier company.. I was eventually proven wrong.