Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ChickenHeart posted:

Which character gets to repeatedly run head-first into a wall

Pyramid Head naturally. It'll make boss defeats by pacifism a lot easier this time!

Medullah posted:

"For me, it's always like this"

"Well NOT TODAY!" *jumps through the fire, grabs Angela and an adorable puppy, kicks down a door and rides it like a surfboard down the stairs through the fire*

This would actually be a fantastic easter egg ending. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Tired Moritz posted:

Silent 2 remake legit looks kinda bad. They really just point at the camera and said "look James is suicidal and guilty". Okay, thanks I thought that was supposed to be a twist

Yes, that's his whole schtick is he's only in that town because his wife contacted him that she's in that town, he comes across as a good man that loves his wife so much.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pyramid head does the bull rush at james and then gets stuck in the wall with his hands flailing, and that's where you jump on his thicc rear end

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Nah they're going to have Pyramid Head remove his helmet to show his true identity

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Medullah posted:

Nah they're going to have Pyramid Head remove his helmet to show his true identity

Mary? Is that you?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i was so shocked at the climactic scene where pyramid head pulled his helmet off and we found out it was james all along

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just lol about having any sort of excitement for Silent Hill in TYOOL 2022; I'm open to the games being really good but gently caress getting hype for anything because I don't want to be disappointed again with this series.

But lol at Bloober.

Konami could have literally knocked this out of the park if they went, "Hey, we're re-releasing all of the Silent Hill titles on all major consoles!" and added the rest as icing on the cake.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
im more interested in silent hill IN JAPAN though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The real Silent Hill is the friends we made along the way

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pyramid Head lifts his giant knife and you dodge it, it gets stuck in scenery, he goes to draw it out and James sees a giant spinning button prompt for a QTE. James comes up behind PH and peels his helmet off at the seams, revealing HIMSELF BUT GREY SKINNED AND RED EYED.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm stupid and hopeful that all this stuff will be good. But just for fun I tried to go back and find the last non-Kojima game from Konami I enjoyed and I guess it was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which barely even counts? And the Castlevania DS games before that?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I listened to Noah Caldwell Gervais review of Blair Witch 2019, by Bloober.

A point he made was that the game stigmatizes the protagonist's PTSD to the point he's written off as damaged goods.

Line for line this criticism was echoed in readings of the Medium, also by Bloober.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I hope we get a weirdly drawn out level attempting to humanize Angela's dad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Spermando posted:

Nah, the menus and flavor text call him PH, but the official guides/artbooks and whatnot call him RPT. I think he's red triangle in Japanese or something like that.

Huh, I had always heard otherwise. Welp, must be confusing him with another well known monster villain in a different game

Edit: Can't wait to find out that Pyramid Head became evil due to the holocauat

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

I remember the Super Best Friends Play SH2 where Pat attempted to stack the odds in In Water's favor by pretending to fumble with his inventory in a way that always resulted in checking the letter or the photo.

I miss the youtube LP era so much. Focused on the game and not the twitch chat

E: good thread

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1582890306089144320?t=nBACV7teMjqg3zZiT02ZRQ&s=19

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 20, 2022

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm not excited about Bloober after Medium, I am glad I played it on gamepass but still felt ripped off.

I won't lie this is the first game presentation in a while that I'm honestly optimistic, all of them looked good but Bloober is gonna do some bullshit I just know it, either way I'm buying like 4-5 games and probably a statue.

Maybe Silent Hill related but what happened to that weird multiplayer monster horror game that has regular people morphing into cronenberg monsters? Wasn't it being developed by other members of Team Silent/Siren devs?

Edit: Also, drat, you really don't need to release Silent Hill 2 remake and the movie in the same year that redoes that game.

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2022

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Medullah posted:

"For me, it's always like this"

"Well NOT TODAY!" *jumps through the fire, grabs Angela and an adorable puppy, kicks down a door and rides it like a surfboard down the stairs through the fire*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man I know it's an old game and memories fade but some of the takes on SH2 I've seen online today have been *extremely* bad.

No the goal of the town is not laser focused on getting James to kill himself, it isn't even subtext you loser

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

...maybe don't self-identify as one of Angela's parents, okay?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man I know it's an old game and memories fade but some of the takes on SH2 I've seen online today have been *extremely* bad.

No the goal of the town is not laser focused on getting James to kill himself, it isn't even subtext you loser

This does seem like something I'm seeing a lot this last day or two. "In Water" being presented as the "canon" ending.

I don't think there even is a canon ending. The portrait in SH4 doesn't imply anything except James never spoke to his father again.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

NikkolasKing posted:

This does seem like something I'm seeing a lot this last day or two. "In Water" being presented as the "canon" ending.

I don't think there even is a canon ending. The portrait in SH4 doesn't imply anything except James never spoke to his father again.

You're right, there is no canon ending. In Water was just always a fan favorite because of how poignant it was.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I give zero shits about and have no real nostalgia for Silent Hill but during that whole stilted, awkward stream I couldn't shake the image of Konami rapidly flipping the lever of a Silent Hill themed pachinko while screaming "GIMMIE THAT MARVEL MONEY YOU FUUUUUUUCK"

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The whole thing that made 2 so good is you could literally play it and you determined the ending that was canon for you. Everyone on the Internet thinks for it to be horror you gotta have it ending with a death. The real nightmare is going home with that monster of a kid.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Imo all three main endings are written to be equally Canon depending on your view of James. Is he a man that loved his wife who was going through unimaginable pain and mercy killed her, and eventually accepted that he might carry that guilt but it doesn't have to destroy him, since Mary doesn't really blame him? You get Leave. Is he the same but the guilt destroys him? You get In Water. Is he unrepentant, bitch got what was coming by getting all cancery and gross? You get Maria.

Personally I believe Leave is the most reasonable one because the town gives him everything he needs to face his guilt and recover. That's the whole "reason" why he is there. Others say In Water is better because they don't believe James is strong enough to forgive himself, which is reasonable, but even more people like Water because James killed his wife and that makes him a bad guy, of course he should kill himself. It's a very surface reading of the game, which I guess is fine for a game people probably played as kids but come on man.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I still really like in water, but more so in my younger less depressed days. It wasn't a happy ending but emotional. Nowadays I do think I'd ere toward Leave more.

Am I still gonna examine the gently caress out of the knife every chance I get to see if they remade the endings, hell yes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I always preferred leave but I always prefer happy/bittersweet endings in horror games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I like Leave for the canon ending but really Maria is the one that makes the most sense to me. I don't think that James is strong enough to forgive himself, but I don't think he is capable of killing himself either. It's much more likely that, despite all that poo poo, he'll to some extent sink back into the delusion and just pretend that he really didn't do anything and move on with his new not-Mary wife, propagating the cycle. Whomst among us has not ghost married Christina Aguilera

Also I like how ominous the last scene is too. James muttering "better do something about that cough" as they walk away. You can just hear the sound of pillows fluffing already.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 20, 2022

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Can't wait for them to have the Himbo naked Pyramid Head to be a an unlockable after beating the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think I'd like In Water better if it was somehow achievable earlier in the game. Both Leave and Maria feel more like they're more properly built up to, whereas In Water has always felt to me like it's at odds with everything else James has gone through by the time it happens.

It would make a decent early/false ending along the lines of Far Cry 6 or Shadow Complex, where you can just nope out early if you know what to do.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Can't wait for them to have the Himbo naked Pyramid Head to be a an unlockable after beating the game.

I hope that one guy who did the Beach Body Tyrant mod in the RE2 remake is warming up for an equivalently sexy SH2 mod.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I think I'd like In Water better if it was somehow achievable earlier in the game. Both Leave and Maria feel more like they're more properly built up to, whereas In Water has always felt to me like it's at odds with everything else James has gone through by the time it happens.

in water if anything is the most foreshadowed of the endings, considering james's otherworld is sopping wet

horror is the one genre where happy endings are actively discouraged and i treasure it for that

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bloober is trash in the writing and characterization departments but so they are least have some chops when it comes to, like, presentation? Because at least most of the writing work is done for them and they don't actually touch it, it's just a matter of how they frame and present the scenes.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I like Leave for the canon ending but really Maria is the one that makes the most sense to me. I don't think that James is strong enough to forgive himself, but I don't think he is capable of killing himself either. It's much more likely that, despite all that poo poo, he'll to some extent sink back into the delusion and just pretend that he really didn't do anything and move on with his new not-Mary wife, propagating the cycle. Whomst among us has not ghost married Christina Aguilera

Also I like how ominous the last scene is too. James muttering "better do something about that cough" as they walk away. You can just hear the sound of pillows fluffing already.

I love Rebirth, it's a typical horror ending, but the presentation is so ominous that I wish we saw the outcome.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

James should powerbomb Mary

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I dunno, I think he's more of a chokeslam guy.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People's Elbow onto her plague filled pillow

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nothing Konami could have revealed would have satisfied anyone after we had the Kojima/Ito/del Toro Silent Hills game cancelled, at least for me. Haven't played anything as jarring or hosed up as PT since tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The most hosed up thing about PT was an ostensibly american radio personality referring to calling 911 as calling nine-eleven :911:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

The most hosed up thing about PT was an ostensibly american radio personality referring to calling 911 as calling nine-eleven :911:

Launching six thousand youtube videos about The Lore and how it's the key to the puzzle that they call it nine-eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The night PT came out one of my roommate had a few friends in town and 5 grown men sat in the dark freaking the gently caress out, yelling and taking turns going around the corner. I would love to play it again