Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Can you import some inferior American junk?

I have some quick connects for my CO2 tanks, but unfortunately the inlets for the bottler are this bullshit variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

majestic12 posted:

well there’s clearly gotta be at least two

Strap-ons exist. I would expect a DP expert to know this.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

At this point I'm just convinced that bottling and canning machines feed off of misery.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

At this point I'm just convinced that bottling and canning machines feed off of misery.

I'm pretty sure that's explicitly documented in the Meheen literature now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm pretty sure that's explicitly documented in the Meheen literature now.

I wish I had a Meheen. It was more reliable than this POS.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

At this point I'm just convinced that bottling and canning machines work feeds off of misery.

Welcome to the workforce! We'll be here your whole life.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Welcome to the workforce! We'll be here your whole life.

It could be worse. I could have to run a canner.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Being able to count to 10 is overrated.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

I had some broken and worn parts that were taken off customer equipment. I've been resetting them to get them in a state to test how broken and worn they are. My boss decided to use them in another test that depends on them being not broken or worn.

Test engineer: "We're stopping the test. It's just not working. These parts are really broken." No one could have predicted this.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

I have some quick connects for my CO2 tanks, but unfortunately the inlets for the bottler are this bullshit variety.

I don't think those are even meant to be disconnected regularly. We use those in the auto shop, but they're inside the air stations, between the fixed air distribution pipes and the actual quick disconnects we use for the air tools. They're easier to assemble, but we only disconnect them when a flex distribution hose breaks due to age, oil contamination, or whatever. I'd replace them with any sort of proper disconnect.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Get a load of better quick couples and live a better life.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

PitViper posted:

I don't think those are even meant to be disconnected regularly. We use those in the auto shop, but they're inside the air stations, between the fixed air distribution pipes and the actual quick disconnects we use for the air tools. They're easier to assemble, but we only disconnect them when a flex distribution hose breaks due to age, oil contamination, or whatever. I'd replace them with any sort of proper disconnect.

You're probably right. Unfortunately, I can't realistically keep them connected the way equipment is set up at the moment.. I'm gonna discuss this with the equipment supplier because if I ever have to do more regular bottling it is gonna start being an issue. Unfortunately, I just see a lot of stuff like that here.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

Test engineer: "We're stopping the test. It's just not working. These parts are really broken." No one could have predicted this.

Boss has decided the best method is to now buy new parts, break them, and test again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bosch and TL Systems agree wholeheartedly

Edit: speaking of dumb poo poo that happens at work, at ~2AM a couple dudes pulled up behind my truck in a truck, one jumped out, pried the already-pried out lock cylinder of my driver's door even further, gained access to the car and then tried to rip out my ignition cylinder. Caught it all on camera, but no plate.

It's currently sitting at my mechanic's shop getting the seized ignition cylinder drilled out and replaced.

Needless to say I want to murder someone.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2022

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got 4 new management types at work to do all the stuff that our former nurse manager was doing, and she did all of it better by herself.

One guy we literally have no idea what he does aside from walk by the nurse's station once or twice a day, the new nurse manager has spent way more time moving offices and redecorating than anything constructive, the new director is occasionally here once a week but is invisible the whole time, and the the medical assistant supervisor cannot handle pressure of any kind and flips her poo poo about every little thing.

There's little communication aside from some weekly email with motivational bullshit in it (that everybody just deletes) and absolutely zero follow up.

If they all just ceased to exist, nothing would change. They're all an absolute joke and a lot of the staff are bailing the gently caress out, including me.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

a mysterious cloak posted:

and the the medical assistant supervisor cannot handle pressure of any kind and flips her poo poo about every little thing.

These are the absolute worst coworkers. Just zero problem solving ability beyond getting upset.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Someone kept mixing up the names of our two (2) black employees in our diversity training today.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

evilpicard posted:

Someone kept mixing up the names of our two (2) black employees in our diversity training today.

Had a shipmate once who served on a ship with a lot of Filipino crew. The captain, an older British guy, never bothered to learn anybody's name, or their nickname, or anything that sounded remotely like their actual name: He just decided that he was going to call them whatever name he personally assigned to everyone. Sorry, buddy, your name is Toby on this boat now.

(The white officers and cadets were addressed by their actual name of course)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Agents are GO! posted:

Are you the company's only expert on Double Penetration As a Service?

That job sounds more fun than mine right now.

The team member leaving at the end of the month was completely horrible and even my old boss had said if he could undo one hire it would have been that guy's, but he served a vital function: He was the person who did EVERYTHING for one of our other coworkers. I've been helping the fresh-out-of-college guy navigate our systems as much as possible and some of the vendors he took over were formerly the responsibility of this lady. One thing I noticed in looking through old orders with the new guy is that while orders were for the lady's vendors almost all of them were processed from start to finish, through multiple systems and approval processes, by the guy who is leaving. She'll even jump into our group Teams chat (instead of private IMs) to ask Leaving Guy to do basic things for her. Because of all this she hasn't had to familiarize herself with ANY of our updated processes and is now exploding the group chat with some "How can I possibly survive this" poo poo because doing anything on her own is a foreign concept.

I warned the new guy that if she asks him to do anything whatsoever he is to say no. We're going to let her ask for help instead of demanding other people do her job for her. This is his first post college job and he really wants to please and be seen as a part of the team, but he needs to learn that he's not responsible for other people getting their work done. He's commented on the fact that I'll drop everything to help him out (and stay on late in case he has emergency questions as he's a time zone away), but I've told him that he's asking me for help and information, which I'm more than happy to provide. It's incredibly important to note that the lady I've mentioned was his assigned trainer and he still felt more inclined to ask me questions than her. Thankfully, he takes notes and has needed less and less help as time has gone on.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

It could be worse. I could have to run a canner.

[insert Vietnam War-style flashbacks of having to run an Alpha canner from a negligent mobile canning company here]

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I can't believe I never posted in here about one of my coworkers unironically using the word :females: during a meeting. Did I post about it in a different thread? Well, whatever, I'm posting it here now.

It was jarring, to say the least. He's kind of a douche, but it still caught me off guard.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Had my first day at the new job today. Guys I don't know about you but I'm starting to think all jobs loving suck

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ben shapino posted:

Had my first day at the new job today. Guys I don't know about you but I'm starting to think all jobs loving suck

hosed up if true.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

MrQwerty posted:

It's currently sitting at my mechanic's shop getting the seized ignition cylinder drilled out and replaced.

...which will, of course, necessitate a couple of their guys jumping into a truck at 2am and scouting for parts...

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

[insert Vietnam War-style flashbacks of having to run an Alpha canner from a negligent mobile canning company here]

Oh man. I worked mobile canning until I was near the end of my probationary period. Then they shitcanned me. I was really depressed about it at the time but that job was killing me and was the reason I started having panic attacks. So in the end it was one of the better things to happen to me.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tomn posted:

Had a shipmate once who served on a ship with a lot of Filipino crew. The captain, an older British guy, never bothered to learn anybody's name, or their nickname, or anything that sounded remotely like their actual name: He just decided that he was going to call them whatever name he personally assigned to everyone. Sorry, buddy, your name is Toby on this boat now.

(The white officers and cadets were addressed by their actual name of course)

Everything on most ships is fodder for this thread.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. I said good morning to the head chef as I passed by the kitchen this morning and got the silent treatment. I wonder what the little baby is filling his diaper up over today. Not enough to ask though. I don't really care anymore.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

ben shapino posted:

Nah that cant be true. Granted, every job I've had sucked but my bosses always praise my lack of pattern recognition.

Oh wow yeah those connectors. Whenever I've seen them there used for permanent connections inside of equipment, not anything meant to be disconnected regularly. Is it possible to swap them out for something actually meant for regular use?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm gonna check with the equipment supplier about a solution.

I'm so loving mad right now. I got everyone cakes from my trip and the head chef ate half of them because "the part timers don't work hard enough to deserve them." Motherfucker, that was not your decision.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

I'm gonna check with the equipment supplier about a solution.

I'm so loving mad right now. I got everyone cakes from my trip and the head chef ate half of them because "the part timers don't work hard enough to deserve them." Motherfucker, that was not your decision.

rub the next ones with week old raw chicken :unsmigghh:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm trying to see if the goon I know from the area can send me more.

He's never getting omiyage from me ever again. rear end in a top hat ate over half! That's over 12 cakes!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

That's over 12 cakes!

Is your head chef Lex Luthor?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

Is your head chef Lex Luthor?

I mean like little cakes. Also he's not that smart.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It just pisses me off that this infected peehole went out of his way to deny others a gift that wasn't even his in any way whatsoever. I just wanted to do something nice and some fuckhead had to ruin it to sate their own appetite out of spite.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

That's over 12 cakes!

And that's terrible!

Wait. Wrong forum.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm confused, who's Lois Lane in this metaphor?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

I'm confused, who's Lois Lane in this metaphor?

The thread

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It just pisses me off that this infected peehole went out of his way to deny others a gift that wasn't even his in any way whatsoever. I just wanted to do something nice and some fuckhead had to ruin it to sate their own appetite out of spite.

Absolutely gently caress this guy so hard, who loving does that?

So, I've gone from a 50% headcount increase to a headcount freeze, to a 20% headcount reduction (which at least I'm not forced to relocate anyone, I can overstaff for now, just can't hire) in 2 months. Industrial Engineering is behind this, they reversed the recommendations from our outside consulting firm to hire more, then "analyzed" data to recommend the reduction in manpower.

I'd have some spicy words for these fucks... except I haven't seen them. Ever. They're report on manpower states that they've spent X hours auditing my shift, but I've never seen them, none of my guys have seen them, they're flat out loving lying about doing in-person auditing, then feeding a manpower reduction up the chain so they can claim "X% reduction in manpower costs" (this part is an assumption, them not setting foot on the factory floor is fact). Problem with their data-based approach to this is our metrics loving suck our program that bills hours-per-job ONLY bills in total hours, so if.it says "8 hours" that means 8 hours of time, whether it takes 1, 2, or 3 techs to execute. Plus all the numbers are made up by junior engineers, and we've literally built 2 final products ever and do not have final numbers for how long it takes. Also they're assuming our factory in the South will pick up the vast majority of production, while we produce at a slower rate and move back to research and development 1-offs. Except our other factory has yet to produce a product, they lack the staffing to produce product as fast as we do, and I am literally flying down there to teach them how to build poo poo they've never built.

I have gained enough C-suite bosses in this time to match the salaries of a 100% increase in staffing.

This is so loving stupid, and a major reason why we're a laughingstock in our field, I'm legit worried I won't be able to transfer to a competing company because this one will go under and taint my resume forever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pekinduck posted:

Nah that cant be true. Granted, every job I've had sucked but my bosses always praise my lack of pattern recognition.

Oh wow yeah those connectors. Whenever I've seen them there used for permanent connections inside of equipment, not anything meant to be disconnected regularly. Is it possible to swap them out for something actually meant for regular use?

We use those connectors for air lines inside lathes at the machine shop. They aren’t intended to be swapped regularly but it’s super useful to be able to swap out quickly when one of them inevitably bursts from getting weakened by oil on the outside and ~125psi air on the inside.

E: I think I misread your post. They really aren’t that bad to disconnect, assuming you didn’t clip your fingernails that morning.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

slurm posted:

Everything on most ships is fodder for this thread.

Well, if you insist, lemme tell you about the worst cook I've ever had, bar none.

Now I do want to be clear on something - I don't think he was a bad guy, per se. He wasn't actively malicious, and a lot of his faults were due to a combination of advanced age and being in over his head. But holy hell, he was not at all right for the role.

To start with, he wasn't actually a cook - he was a taxi driver who'd somehow stumbled rear end-backwards into becoming a sea cook. And "stumbled rear end-backwards" isn't an entirely inappropriate phrase because he had serious mobility issues from being both very elderly and from having gotten into an accident on one of his previous boats that ended up shattering his hip - something about falling into a hatchway or something. This led to him having to shuffle everywhere, and having issues with going down stairs - which was a bit of an issue given that the pantry was down a flight of stairs and the freezers were down a hatch on deck that needed a ladder to get down which he wasn't physically capable of swinging his legs up to mount. If you're thinking this sounds like a safety issue and should probably have been checked before he ever got on the boat, well, yes - as best as we can figure, he probably got his medical certificate from before he had his accident and it hadn't expired yet. He was also very nearly deaf, which again was a pretty major safety issue given that he was deaf enough not to hear fire alarms - which will come into play later.

Did he make up for all these faults by being a fantastic cook who made excellent food? No, not at all. He drowned everything he made in a sea of butter - like we're talking tubs with an inch or so of butter grease sloshing around at the bottom. Food was spiced or salted by throwing on a heaping handful of the stuff onto the food, and then serving as is - no attempt to mix or distribute the spice evenly. And when I say a heaping handful, I mean that - at one point the captain found himself biting into what turned out to be a literal spoonful of salt which he'd assumed was sugar or something. He also didn't really seem to fully understand the concept of defrosting, asking for cuts of meat to be pulled up from the freezer in the morning to be served for lunch - which led, in particular, to anything he made with minced meat being a gamble on how raw it'd turn out to be. He also made way too much food for how many people there were, serving up in an ersatz buffet style with the copious leftovers becoming so much food waste (this will come into play later).

Food hygiene was also not a particular strong point - as deckhands we found ourselves regularly cleaning out the fridges, sometimes as often as once every two days to deal with sloshing meat juices or milk splattering everywhere and raising a stink, which incidentally came from his shoving in uncovered meat of various kinds every which way in the fridge as they would fit. The galley was theoretically kept clean by him, but this seemed to mostly be pushing a slightly damp mop around in circles for a bit and calling it a day, leaving streaks of black gunk everywhere and requiring deckhands to occasionally intervene and give the place a proper deep clean. And then there was the food waste and the Accident...but I'll get to that later.

Beyond his issues as cook, though, he was also somewhat fuzzy in the head in a number of ways. For instance, he never really seemed to grasp what the watch schedule was, putting out food and taking it away as he saw fit regardless of what time the watch changes were, whether anyone on watch knew that food was ready, or who might have been asleep and off-watch, resulting in, again, a lot of food waste because he didn't seem to believe in preserving leftovers for an oncoming watch (I'll get to the food waste, I swear!) He also had the very odd habit of leaving potatoes and vegetables in the dishwasher for reasons nobody was able to quite figure out - given that the dishwasher was left on and moist, my best guess is that he was using it as a makeshift food warmer, but who knows for sure. When he needed to go provisioning, he asked everybody BUT the captain - the one guy in charge of authorizing use of funds - about when and how he could go provisioning. And of course, there was the time he set off the fire alarms by, we think, leaving the oven on, forgetting about it, and then going to watch television in the saloon while the entire crew was up and running and trying to identify where the fire was while he sat there stone deaf as ever and unaware of what was happening. The captain and chief mate did bring up their various issues with him, but it always seemed to go in one ear and out the other - at best, he'd change his ways for a day and then go right back into his normal groove.

Which brings us to the defining aspect of his tenure as cook - the food waste. You see, he had a very simple method for dealing with food waste - he'd throw it out the window. No need to bother with trash bag storage! Now, this is illegal to do close in to shore, and not really a great idea even further out due to potential environmental issues, but I suppose if nobody ever catches him or notices, no harm, no foul, maybe?

Well, here's the thing - there's a small ledge running along the length of the ship, just below said porthole, and just wide enough to catch dropped food waste, and the ship was just stable enough that the majority of food wouldn't be rocked off by the motion of the ocean but would instead stay stuck on there in a growing mound over time in baking hot summer heat until we finally got back into port at which point the deckhands would be tasked with cleaning that mound away - three times in one day, once, as he repeatedly, despite instructions not to, threw out more food waste after we'd cleaned up the last one, often splattering the fenders below while he was at it (did I mention this was all on the side of the ship facing the dock?) which we'd have to haul up close to our bodies later. That's to say nothing of plastic wrappers getting caught in the wind and flying back on board on the aft deck of the ship, or milk cartons recognizably ours bobbing in our wake.

Now if that sounds disgusting, well, that's where we get to the Accident. There's really no easy or soft way of putting it, so I'll just say it plain: He shat himself in the galley one day. He did so while wearing shorts and boxers. We know this because the deckhand on duty (VERY FORTUNATELY NOT ME) discovered a trail of brown streaks leading from the galley, across the corridors, to become a great big brown smear all over the cook's cabin door. The cook was discovered in the laundry room, with the one tub of laundry powder we still had on board scattered all over the floor with the cook frantically asking "Where's the laundry powder? Where's the laundry powder?" and the distinctly unsympathetic Polish deckhand responding "It's all over the floor, can't you see? What the gently caress happened here?"

I'll admit, that last story is horrifying and terrible but also tragic - the guy was old, lost control of himself in the most embarrassing way, and ended up publicly humiliated. Unsurprisingly, he wanted to get off the boat as soon as possible, but we had one last bit of surveying to do and the company was unable to find another cook on short notice. So in what might have been a bit of muddle-headedness, or what might have been a deliberate attempt to get himself fired, he insisted that we were out of supplies and needed to go provisioning (we didn't have much left after he churned through the supplies, but we DID have enough for the few days we were going to be out albeit on an unexciting diet if he cooked reasonable portions), and presented the captain with a shopping list.

Now I don't remember everything that was on the list, but for eight people on a trip lasting three or four days, and considering that the ship was going to be laid up and probably sold after this job, he wanted, among other things:

- 8 sirloin steaks
- 8 salmon steaks
- 2 kilograms of butter

He ended up leaving the boat and the crew ended up cooking for ourselves. We ate better those three days than we had the entire past five weeks.