Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Defiance Industries posted:

Sure, look at the "misfits" who make up the cast of Persona 5. I too often think of the student body president as someone who just doesn't fit in.

This is maybe a Japanese thing or maybe just outside my bubble thing but in high school I don't think I could imagine a bigger loser than a student body president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Sure, look at the "misfits" who make up the cast of Persona 5. I too often think of the student body president as someone who just doesn't fit in.

Are you really so dense as to judge Makoto's entire character off her surface level instead of who she actually is? It's almost like the goody two shoes student council president is some sort of...Facade.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pwnstar posted:

This is maybe a Japanese thing or maybe just outside my bubble thing but in high school I don't think I could imagine a bigger loser than a student body president.

This

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I played a bunch of otome games and the student body president is always prime real estate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

It must be a Japanese thing given how Mitsuru is basically the queen of the school in P3.

For us, it be like President of the Chess Club if we wanted to get across "this person is totally unpopular."

MechaX posted:

I am still messing around in Sevens High breaking clocks with brooms

Ah, you still got the whole game ahead of you then. Hope you enjoy.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What if the president of the chess club cheated using anal beads?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Makoto is a straight A student and student council president but also she's so fixated on her academics and blindly doing whatever pleases the adults in her life that she can barely even hold a normal conversation with her peers. She's essentially been boxed into the platonic ideal of the perfect honor student and her arc is all about her realizing that's not actually what she wants for herself and she's going to take her life in the direction she herself wants. Which unfortunately turns out to be "cop" but you know, can't win 'em all I guess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's very clear that all the students and frankly most of the teachers think that Makoto is a huge loving loser.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Makoto specifically isn't popular and her position has in fact isolated her from her fellow students whilst leaving her to be pushed around and ordered to do ridiculous impossible things by the principal.

Like, it's a whole thing that she has the position on the technical merits of her schoolwork and passion, not because she had popular support or anything. Japanese Schools just have a strong success based hierarchy where people who do exceptionally well are respected. Hence doing well on the tests (which are publicly announced results too) gives you charm stats.

So Makoto is superficially respected for her intelligence, but personally/socially isolated by her situation and furthermore is hiding parts of herself (her love of Buchimaru, her passion for action movies and hardboiled violent heroes, probably an interest in shounen or seinen manga, high sense of actual Justice).

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im trying to think of any gay rpgs and im blanking... im sure theres a lot of small indie ones at least, esp non tled ones??

also imo kanji and naotos stuff wrt gender roles and what it means to be a dude/lady is like, Fine in a vacuum but then theres 50 billion pointless stupid poo poo around them like the 300 haha u might be Gayyyyy jokes or haha big boob/Operation that drags it down and makes the arcs vaguely uncomfortable to just plain stupid :wtc:; yosuke being a poo poo for the sake of bad jokes doesn't help and neither does the director for 3-5 being an insane conservative

ImpAtom posted:

I think the issue is that it is trying to be progressive. The characters have issues which boil down to the lovely views society or people have and try to force onto people, and it is okay to be a girl and like 'manly' things and vice-versa, but at the end of the day it is still almost exclusively tailored to people who want to fit into society instead of being comfortable outside of it

yea that makes a lot of sense, it could also be the source of the common complaint about "full circle character arcs"

anyways uhhhh i feel like 5 is at least an improvement on that, a bit??? like makoto has a character arc about deciding her life, futaba learns to go outside more and stop being so self hating, uhhh yusuke painted better?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you really so dense as to judge Makoto's entire character off her surface level instead of who she actually is? It's almost like the goody two shoes student council president is some sort of...Facade.

Oh yeah, I forgot the deep down she's super competent and great at martial arts, and a detective. Type A personalities never go anywhere in real life, they're doomed to obscurity forever. Sorry I made fun of your waifu.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yusukes arc (in the s links at least, he just sort of stopped existing in the main story about halfway through) really got to me and I thought was a nice way to show that he wasn't just a 'pretentious artist' caricature.

The realisation that you can still mechanically paint as well as you did before but it doesn't matter when you can no longer see the beauty in the world around you because of your experience is so sad and I thought it was a sweet little story to help him find his love for his craft again. A+ would be friends with him again

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Naoto's deal is wild because her dungeon is very clearly about maturity and perceived maturity, that's why it's a villain base from a kid's show and Shadow Naoto is wearing an oversized lab coat.

And then like ten text boxes before the fight starts it turns out that no it's actually about gender

And then after the fight it turns out that no it's actually about maturity

And then Naoto's SL has nothing to do with any of this and is just her butler being a cryptic rear end in a top hat

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Makoto should be cool and good but is instead just the strict straight laced student council president all the time.

She supposedly has repressed anger issues and a tendency to go wild but this only really shows up in her awakening and then she is just Mitsuru. Haru gets more 'wow this person is actually quite violent' moments then she does despite showing up later.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Naoto's deal is wild because her dungeon is very clearly about maturity and perceived maturity, that's why it's a villain base from a kid's show and Shadow Naoto is wearing an oversized lab coat.

And then like ten text boxes before the fight starts it turns out that no it's actually about gender

And then after the fight it turns out that no it's actually about maturity

And then Naoto's SL has nothing to do with any of this and is just her butler being a cryptic rear end in a top hat

Now that you mention it, yeah. her S Link is so weird, was it plan A, or some sort of rewrite? Everyone else’s S Link connects to their themes but hers is just a side quest.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Best Friends posted:

Now that you mention it, yeah. her S Link is so weird, was it plan A, or some sort of rewrite? Everyone else’s S Link connects to their themes but hers is just a side quest.

Her S-Link is about maturity, her Grandfather pretends to be a "Gentleman Thief" straight out of a children's detective novel to reignite her sense of passion and remind her it is okay to like the things from her childhood that he "steals" to "taunt" her with as the mysterious thief.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

NikkolasKing posted:

Where are you in IS?

Personally I'm on Team Tatsuya/Lisa but it's all good.

I'm on team Tatsuya/Jun because there is a literally a flashback scene of the two standing in front of a bridal shop and exchanging expensive, precious objects and making a promise.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hellioning posted:

Makoto should be cool and good but is instead just the strict straight laced student council president all the time.

She supposedly has repressed anger issues and a tendency to go wild but this only really shows up in her awakening and then she is just Mitsuru. Haru gets more 'wow this person is actually quite violent' moments then she does despite showing up later.

yeah, for the people complaining about naoto's slink above, I think makoto's is the worst. most of it isnt even about her, it's about stalking her friend.... lol. but yeah she really got done dirty after her awakening.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Here are the top 30 P5R songs as per a Japanese poll held by Atlus.

If this were an international poll, I think #3 or #2 would have won, and there would have been less Beneath the Mask instrumentals in the top 30 in favor of other songs.

No Keeper of Lust or Yaldabaoth is a little disappointing though.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If we're talking royal specifically it's the I Believe-Our Light one-two for me

Also where the gently caress is life goes on, poo poo poll, clown responses

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Also where the gently caress is life goes on, poo poo poll, clown responses

The Japanese just love Beneath the Mask and all its variations I guess.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's probably been mentioned in the preceding 100 pages but the part in the story when you're allowed to go out at night and the vocals for Beneath the Mask come in for the first time is one of the sickest things in the history of games

Also I think rainy day BtM is my fave

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It's probably been mentioned in the preceding 100 pages but the part in the story when you're allowed to go out at night and the vocals for Beneath the Mask come in for the first time is one of the sickest things in the history of games

Also I think rainy day BtM is my fave

:yeah:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Edit: I wonder what the first highly posted mod for P5R will be. My money is on replacing the main character with a CJ model, seems like it's been the hot mod tech for awhile

I hope the first mod reverts the Okumura fight back to the Vanilla version. Honestly wouldn't mind a mod that did that every boss except maybe Madarame

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I wish I could lose all memory of P5 and play it again for the first time because it's pretty much my favorite or second most favorite game ever

I've been slowly playing through SH2 since release and it's not bad by any means but I see why it got the scores it did

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The PC version of Persona 5 Royal runs like a dream and shares the save game between pc and xbox which opens up to some abuse probably.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jexner posted:

The PC version of Persona 5 Royal runs like a dream and shares the save game between pc and xbox which opens up to some abuse probably.

Gonna have to run it on a fairly top end intel surface so here's hoping the port is good!

Once I'm back from travelling though I'm pretty excited to crank it up to 4k max FPS on my actual gaming computer. The game already looked good on PS4 way back when, I can only imagine how good it'll look at full power

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Once I'm back from travelling though I'm pretty excited to crank it up to 4k max FPS on my actual gaming computer. The game already looked good on PS4 way back when, I can only imagine how good it'll look at full power

CBD Corndog posted:

Imagine no more (technically youtube only supports 4K/60, but they're running solid at 120)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfWQNsi_TI

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
PSA, if you want to play the game now on gamepass just set your locale on pc or console to a region/country where its the 21st.
I have no idea if it works the same way on PS5/Switch.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:v: well I more meant in the like, rhetorical sense rather than the literal sense. But it's true, it does look good!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mirello posted:

yeah, for the people complaining about naoto's slink above, I think makoto's is the worst. most of it isnt even about her, it's about stalking her friend.... lol. but yeah she really got done dirty after her awakening.

I dunno, it's not the best done or anything but broadly you could look at Makoto's S-Link as 'hey, you get to act like a teenager and that's fine.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Makoto's S Link is absolutely about her. She is poorly socialized and doesn't really make friends. So she makes a friend and is genuinely happy but they gets into a situation where her natural inclination (which made her a stick in the mud rules follower with no friends) risks alienating the one non-PT friend she has in her pursuit of what she believe is right.

The entire thing is her trying to cone to terms with being a person instead of a mindless good girl, in comparison to her sister who did the same thing and it eventually broke her down because all she had in life was her work and her sister who she loved *and* resented

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Makoto's S.Link is just boring, imo. Every assumption Makoto has about the situation with Eiko and her boyfriend turns out to be 100% on the nose and the situation gets resolved rather simply. It does make the Makoto romance funny though since at the start she's absolutely squirming at the idea of even pretending she and Joker are dating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's very weird that the dude Makoto's suspicious of has been manipulating girls into debt serially and you don't even change his heart or anything

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Interestingly, you cannot buy Persona 5 Royal on Steam yet, but it's available on Humble Bundle right now. Has anyone tried to purchase it from HB and see if it generates a key right away?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ According to some quick googling it does generate a key and lets you preload the game, but you still won't be able to play it until tonight when the game unlocks.

Arist posted:

It's very weird that the dude Makoto's suspicious of has been manipulating girls into debt serially and you don't even change his heart or anything

Sounds far less serious than somebody using an aimbot to cheat at arcade games imo.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 20, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only good thing about Makoto's s.link is that it gave JelloApocalypse the 'hoping this burger is the one that will make you charming enough for Makoto to not actually date you' joke, because Makoto not even wanting to fake date you at lower charm levels is very funny.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't recall liking any of the party member's S links. I'm not even just being down on the game because Haru is the best party member by lightyears and I don't recall liking her S Link, either. The best Confidants were the adults like So Good Tora.

Also, what are the odd P5R is the best selling Atlus game on Steam in no time? Seems high. I want it to do well for the sake of future ports.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ryuji's is pretty good. And Akechi's is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't particularly care for Akechi in the base game, but it's remarkable how by simply doubling down they made him amazing