Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahaha

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1582986594239512576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

How vulgar to see Rees Mogg brawling like a common drunken pauper outside a gin tavern

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1583001855554367488

It's becoming quite clear that nobody wants Truss in power, possibly including her, but they have no way of getting rid of her without changing their own rules or forcing her to resign.

I went on record saying I thought Labour calling a confidence vote was a bad idea because it would provide Truss with an opportunity to rally support. However, that was before her Home Secretary resigned for breaking a minor rule (but actually is just loving annoyed she can't bomb refugees), they had a confidence vote that wasn't a confidence vote it was just a Very Important vote that they felt they needed to force people to vote for, and the Chief/Deputy Chief Whips resigned but haven't actually resigned.

VONC should really be tabled as soon as possible.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

You guys should let Scotland become independant, then unify with them.

I think our current plan is 135 County Ireland.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

massive spider posted:

Todays papers. Even the flag shagging chip rags are going in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-63323097

They keep going with the smuggest picture of Braverman

You know poo poo is serious when there are only two Meghan articles on the front pages.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Only Kindness posted:

Not overly impressed with this Charles Walker character. He's constantly catching himself to say oh yeah, I guess the plebs are going to have trouble too, whereas it's quite clear he's concerned only for his worthless colleagues losing their worthless non-jobs and that if tories are out of power he'll get fewer bungs for a while.

Oh, he's emotional? Not the party he thought it was? How sad. People are going to die because of his party's policies. Maybe he should be loving sad. gently caress him.

Well yeah, gently caress him. He's a tory.

I don't think anyone ITT was impressed (I'm sure liberals are clamouring to make him PM as we speak), it was just pretty notable to hear a tory speak like that

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The weird adverts from the Sunday papers are now relevant,

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1583001855554367488

It's becoming quite clear that nobody wants Truss in power, possibly including her, but they have no way of getting rid of her without changing their own rules or forcing her to resign.
Yea this is the one thing making me think she might manage to hang on, because all the Tories know how to do is talk to the press and lie. To get Truss out they need to actively make changes to the rules and figure out who should replace her, and they are universally too cowardly and inept to actually do poo poo.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

smellmycheese posted:

How vulgar to see Rees Mogg brawling like a common drunken pauper outside a gin tavern

release the piss fight tape!

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
if there was a successor she'd allready be gone. they cant even go to a GE without a leader, someone has to be in post

the only options are hold her in place or have another free-for-all leadership contest that might throw up god knows who

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Z the IVth posted:

She'll launch a second strike and nuke Paris, Berlin, Holyrood and Grimsby.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just been told by a member of the 1922 committee that a rule change isn't possible, and Liz Truss will remain it post until the 2024 election. Their exact words were "I don't like it, but I have to go along with it."

Robert Peston ITV

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

from the bbc ticker

quote:

9:44
Labour granted urgent question on Braverman

Labour has been granted an urgent question to the new home secretary Grant Shapps - on the dramatic departure yesterday of his predecessor Suella Braverman.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, will ask the question at 10:30.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rustybear posted:

if there was a successor she'd allready be gone. they cant even go to a GE without a leader, someone has to be in post

the only options are hold her in place or have another free-for-all leadership contest that might throw up god knows who

And that nobody wants to win anyway. They're not that stupid. Truss looks like she's looked in the Ark of the Covenant after just 6 weeks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Just been told by a member of the 1922 committee that a rule change isn't possible, and Liz Truss will remain it post until the 2024 election. Their exact words were "I don't like it, but I have to go along with it."

Robert Peston ITV

That's bullshit, Brady has already said that the rules can be changed. They're just covering up the fact that they haven't figured out who will succeed her yet - which means they haven't persuaded enough MPs to get behind Sunak that they could have a coronation rather than a leadership election. When that happens, Truss will be told that she's no longer leader and asked to step down rather than drag it out in public.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1582991039186419713

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jedit posted:

That's bullshit, Brady has already said that the rules can be changed. They're just covering up the fact that they haven't figured out who will succeed her yet - which means they haven't persuaded enough MPs to get behind Sunak that they could have a coronation rather than a leadership election. When that happens, Truss will be told that she's no longer leader and asked to step down rather than drag it out in public.

I believe that is a joke referencing The Day Today with Peter O'hanrahanahan.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Rustybear posted:

release the piss fight tape!

Is this from last night? For some reason that guy in the white shirt is triggering another memory of a shitshow JRM was involved with.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rustybear posted:

It's Christopher Chope's time to shine!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Everytime I see Trevelyan's name I always go "oh yeah, the descendant of a politician so evil, they made a folk song about them is real and in power."

For Americans it would be the equivalent of their being a Senator Mary Arnold, the descendant of Benedict Arnold.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A little concerning to say the least
https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1583020705205014530

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Everytime I see Trevelyan's name I always go "oh yeah, the descendant of a politician so evil, they made a folk song about them is real and in power."

For Americans it would be the equivalent of their being a Senator Mary Arnold, the descendant of Benedict Arnold.

well, the granddaughter or so of Mussolini is in the Italian parliament

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Question IRL posted:

I just think of the bad guy from Goldeneye

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

From last night

https://twitter.com/LabradorFan123/status/1582843729827622912

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Question IRL posted:

What was the song? Having trouble googling this

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

Fields of Athenry

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

So Shetland is currently the setting for a zombie movie, good to know

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1582995517021167617

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying people resurfacing Liz Truss's bizarre post history

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/8560582345101313?s=20&t=r56mmAyfQn4l8qLV-MCNHQ

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nordstream, some Scandinavian cables and now this.

It's not the Americans or Russians. It's Godzilla.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Crying that they couldn't get in a punch or kick.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just caught up, to summarise, lmao

to think I'd see the collapse of the tory party in my lifetime

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Is this from last night? For some reason that guy in the white shirt is triggering another memory of a shitshow JRM was involved with.

there was a fight in the no lobby allegedly involving JRM that was allegedly recorded by labour mps on their alleged phones; that appears to be a still image from it

the world needs to know...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Good lol

tithin posted:

Just caught up, to summarise, lmao

to think I'd see the collapse of the tory party in my lifetime

Don't be so sure

The tories are cock-a-roaches, surviving things that would annihilate decent human beings is what they do

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

he's still a bellend but lol lmao

"many tory mps did not manage a dry night last night and we're all very concerned but we love them and i want them all to know we know theyre trying their best"

every tory mp: "i actually did not piss my pants i am very tough and everyone respects me and after i proved my true steel the whole lobby stood up and clapped"

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Just taking L after L.

They're supposed to be doing the bullying, not being bullied themselves! It ain't right!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

peanut- posted:

I'm enjoying people resurfacing Liz Truss's bizarre post history

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/8560582345101313?s=20&t=r56mmAyfQn4l8qLV-MCNHQ

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4TCHRtg59u/?hl=en

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jiggerypokery posted:

It's "The Fields of Athenry". A song that is sung at almost every single Irish sporting events.

The lyric in question....

"By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
"Michael, they have taken you away
For you stole Trevelyan's corn
So the young might see the morn
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay"

And on it goes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

"I have been a naughty boy mummy" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Question IRL posted:

It's "The Fields of Athenry". A song that is sung at almost every single Irish sporting events.

The lyric in question....

"By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
"Michael, they have taken you away
For you stole Trevelyan's corn
So the young might see the morn
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay"

And on it goes.

She married into that name no?