Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think the thing with City is that they're no more financially dominant that United were. But that's all they need to be - they can always afford to extend their good players, they can always offer to pay that bit more than everyone else. Because of that everyone knows that it's always the best option to sign with them.

Even if every club in the top 6 had made him the same offer he'd still have signed with City beciase they're always going to be competitive, whereas the slightly poorer clubs are always at risk of a bad contract making them uncompetitive for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Another thing to consider (that players consider) with City is the infrastructure. They've been investing in training facilities like crazy for years so players know they're going to get the top facilities when they're at City. United fans have been raising the alarm for years about the state of their training grounds and these sort of things definitely have an effect on players' attitudes when they can basically get the same wages at the clubs.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

Haven't they outspent every club in the world in 2022 or something? It was mentioned on Football Weekly recently.

Maybe on facilities but lol have you looked at their squad? They still pay Jonjo Shelvey money.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Vinestalk posted:

City didn't even need Haaland, though. That's the clearest evidence of the riches they have. Haaland could have gone to any other team in the premier league and City would have still been favorites to win the league.

This is dumb, do we look a better team with him in it? Unquestionably. Being successful doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels, and it was painfully obvious to everyone that we were missing a lethal finisher since Aguero left. If he can make the difference in the Champions League then he'll have been worth whatever we've paid for him.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 19, 2022

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Vinestalk posted:

Maybe on facilities but lol have you looked at their squad? They still pay Jonjo Shelvey money.

They're second to Man Utd over the last two seasons:

Just because they're not signing Robinho and Jo doesn't mean they're not spending.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is dumb, do we look a better team with him in it? Unquestionably. Being successful doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels, and it was painfully obvious to everyone that we were missing a lethal finisher since Aguero left. If he can make the difference in the Champions League then he'll have been worth whatever we've paid for him.

Need and want are two different things, friend. City beat a better, more in form Liverpool squad to the premier League title last year without Haaland. City have been fully capable of winning the champions league this whole time.

Mickolution posted:

Just because they're not signing Robinho and Jo doesn't mean they're not spending.

I think the column on the far right of that table is very telling of where a lot of that money came from

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vinestalk posted:

Mickolution posted:

Newcastle reportedly spent around 100 million GBP in the winter 2022 window and then spent 123 million GBP in the past summer window.

https://www.footballtransfers.com/e...ers-this-summer

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/07/newcastle-united-owners-spending-300m-on-signings-in-2022-isnt-viable/

I think it's smart that Newcastle haven't hoovered up tons of players like, say, Nottingham Forest. It should be one of the more worrying signs for other clubs because it shows there are people at Newcastle who know what they're doing and they've got an enormous amount of backing now. They might not be racking up silverware for another couple of seasons, but I think it's going to start happening for them pretty soon.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I think the thing with City is that they're no more financially dominant that United were.

lol this is just false. Up to 2004 United may have been financially dominant in the Premier League but still lagged behind at least Real Madrid in terms of pull and sheer willingness to spend. Then Abramovich came and did "What if Jack Walker, but a billionaire instead" with Chelsea and changed the game for good. Mansour came with even more wealth after that.

Not trying to argue United are now some plucky spending underdog as seen with spending post Ferguson, City have been able to not only build this squad and offer the wages they do, but also completely rebuild the club's infrastructure and its surrounding areas.

Vinestalk posted:

Need and want are two different things, friend. City beat a better, more in form Liverpool squad to the premier League title last year without Haaland.

This makes no sense at all. Last season's City squad was better than Liverpool's as evidenced by the title win.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

This makes no sense at all. Last season's City squad was better than Liverpool's as evidenced by the title win.

I think they mean Liverpool's squad last year was better and more in form than this year, but that doesn't stop it being dumb - you can't predict the form of your competitors, and just have to assume that they'll keep iterating and improving and do the same yourself. Not signing Haaland given the opportunity (money and personal connection) would have been stupid as gently caress.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think that's also wrong. The two times City played Liverpool in the league they both had the vast majority of their first teams playing and City were clearly the better side.

Haaland was such a good signing as he fixed the one weakness City had last year, which was that their finishing went to poo poo in big games, most hilariously the Madrid games.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

We're not even getting into the kind of shenanigans unveiled by the Football Leaks either.

Worth bringing up. That football leaks stuff from Der Spiegel included Mancini having a secret second contract with an Abu Dhabi based club owned by Mansour, while he was managing Man City.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

As BV said, I was referring to Liverpool's squad being better last season compared to the squad they have this season.

BV, my point isn't that City shouldn't have bought Haaland, or that it's unfair that they did got Haaland, or that City don't have a responsibility to get the best possible squad that they can. My point has always been that their squad is so good that Haaland could have gotten injured in pre-season for the entire year and they would still be favorites to win the league.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Worth bringing up. That football leaks stuff from Der Spiegel included Mancini having a secret second contract with an Abu Dhabi based club owned by Mansour, while he was managing Man City.

no-one cares op

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

i don't know if this popped up in the leaks, but keep in mind that Man City's owners also helped Pep Guardiola's brother buy a football club and it's a very weird situation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/29/girona-manchester-city-pep-guardiola-brother-questions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
One of the reasons Mancini fell out with city players was he requested a blow dryer installed in the changing rooms and used it immediately after every match before speaking to the players to make sure his hair was right for the press conference

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

One of the reasons Mancini fell out with city players was he requested a blow dryer installed in the changing rooms and used it immediately after every match before speaking to the players to make sure his hair was right for the press conference

Dudes rock

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jose posted:

little known but that’s the reason city signed up pep, so they would never have this problem again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone post that picture of the advertising board talking about being bald while city are losing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

And who can blame him

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Eric Cantonese posted:

Newcastle reportedly spent around 100 million GBP in the winter 2022 window and then spent 123 million GBP in the past summer window.

That table includes the previous summer, so the extra is Joelinton I guess.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think it's smart that Newcastle haven't hoovered up tons of players like, say, Nottingham Forest. It should be one of the more worrying signs for other clubs because it shows there are people at Newcastle who know what they're doing and they've got an enormous amount of backing now. They might not be racking up silverware for another couple of seasons, but I think it's going to start happening for them pretty soon.

Yeah, they've bought well and under the radar a bit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Liverpool complaining about big clubs being able to buy success is like Barcelona whinging about how expensive it is to be the best club in the world. Didn't seem to be a problem until they started underperforming their own spending advantage.

We should means test the PL TV money to make sure clubs with rich daddies or multiple revenue streams aren't getting help they don't need. I volunteer to run the means testing company.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Liverpool complaining about big clubs being able to buy success is like Barcelona whinging about how expensive it is to be the best club in the world. Didn't seem to be a problem until they started underperforming their own spending advantage.

We should means test the PL TV money to make sure clubs with rich daddies or multiple revenue streams aren't getting help they don't need. I volunteer to run the means testing company.

What the gently caress has the TV money got to do with the point Klopp made about City's infinite money tree?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

sassassin posted:

Didn't seem to be a problem until they started underperforming their own spending advantage.
Your research is below average.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

it is right and proper to take all possible opportunities as a manager to have a dig at your rivals and explain why them winning doesn't count

some say that Kevin Keegan is still yelling and pointing to this day

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Erik ten hag has made it to Erik ten games, but will he make it to Erik ten months

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he’s erik ten envelopes

they all say ronald

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What the gently caress has the TV money got to do with the point Klopp made about City's infinite money tree?

Liverpool were given £40m more in TV money than most PL clubs last season. Plus they get CL money. They spent £70m on a new striker and their manager cries about it not being fair that another club has more. Klopp is right that inequality exists, but does he realise it's massively in his clubs favour overall?

So let's make things fairer and hand out TV money based on who needs it the most. Create a properly fair competitive environment for Klopp to enjoy.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Liverpool were given £40m more in TV money than most PL clubs last season. Plus they get CL money. They spent £70m on a new striker and their manager cries about it not being fair that another club has more. Klopp is right that inequality exists, but does he realise it's massively in his clubs favour overall?

So let's make things fairer and hand out TV money based on who needs it the most. Create a properly fair competitive environment for Klopp to enjoy.

Can you please stop doing this embittered relegated years ago moron act. This has nothing to do with tv prize money or cl money which are given on merit, Klopp's entire point was about financial doping

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Let's do a salary and transfer fee cap like the USA!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't read about the financial stuff and didn't actually see Klopp's comments, cause I just like to watch guys scoring sick goals, but are we past the time of city doing outright "financial doping" and now they're just incredibly rich mostly because of their recent history of being successful/in the premier league/having a poo poo ton of investments in facilities, players, whatever, and it's a positive feedback loop of the rich clubs getting richer? Like, they're not dropping £500m net every transfer window, how much of what they're spending is as sustainable (or not) as any other top club at this point?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

I don't read about the financial stuff and didn't actually see Klopp's comments, cause I just like to watch guys scoring sick goals, but are we past the time of city doing outright "financial doping" and now they're just incredibly rich mostly because of their recent history of being successful/in the premier league/having a poo poo ton of investments in facilities, players, whatever, and it's a positive feedback loop of the rich clubs getting richer? Like, they're not dropping £500m net every transfer window, how much of what they're spending is as sustainable (or not) as any other top club at this point?

They are most likely financially doping through less obvious means like conflicted transactions and shady deals that don’t go on City’s books, but you’re generally correct that they are an actual big club now and aren’t dropping egregious amounts of money, even if they’re still spending more than everyone else.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

blue footed boobie posted:

They are most likely financially doping through less obvious means like conflicted transactions and shady deals that don’t go on City’s books, but you’re generally correct that they are an actual big club now and aren’t dropping egregious amounts of money, even if they’re still spending more than everyone else.

There was that weird thing about their "Asian betting partner" that was Definitely A Real Company. Fake sponsors are a beloved tradition at City

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think we all know the real measure isn't transfer fees or wages but the number of Cs in the name.

Manchester City - 2
Chelsea - 1
Manchester United - 1
Liverpool - 0

Liverpool dramatically overperforming imo.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Dudley posted:

I think we all know the real measure isn't transfer fees or wages but the number of Cs in the name.

Manchester City - 2
Chelsea - 1
Manchester United - 1
Liverpool - 0

And here I thought it was all about the fecal puns.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

Manchester City - 2
Chelsea - 1
Manchester United - 1
Liverpool - 0

now these are advanced stats

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Liverpool have a few Cs in their squad though

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Liverpool have a few Cs in their squad though

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/CharDuncker/status/1583138608260599808

I'm liking this bald fraud more and more

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Manchester United are disrespecting Ronaldo IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It might have made more sense to stomp out if his team was losing. But when they’re winning? Lol.