Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FYI, switching No Man's Sky to 30fps (in game) doubles whatever battery life you had playing it on the Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sigher posted:

Make sure the Metroid Prime Trilogy ROM is in the "primehack" folder instead of the "gc" one, if you put it in the latter SRM will default it to regular Dolphin.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing but Primehack is considered a separate emulator by Emudeck, so it has its own roms folder and SRM parser.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

sigher posted:

Make sure the Metroid Prime Trilogy ROM is in the "primehack" folder instead of the "gc" one, if you put it in the latter SRM will default it to regular Dolphin.
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Similar question - what do I do with the Scumm .bin and .cue files so I can actually play The Dig?

I've hit my quota of questions for the day!

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 19, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lockback posted:

Are you using 2.4GHZ or a 5GHZ? 2.4 is probably not enough bandwidth for deck streaming. I'd also try turning off wireless power management in developer mode.

That was a good question and I just recently got new internet through Xfinity so I went and checked. Turns out with my setup they "automatically determine whether to use 2.4 or 5" and there's no way to manually set it.

Which is an extremely gross thing to see.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there conclusive information on changing the max FPS and increasing input delay? When I was reading up on Elden Ring I couldn't determine how to actually set this drat thing up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Is there conclusive information on changing the max FPS and increasing input delay? When I was reading up on Elden Ring I couldn't determine how to actually set this drat thing up.
Anything you do to limit FPS is gonna by definition increase input latency because there's a longer time between frames, its always a compromise between power and latency. Turning on the frame limiter also forces vsync which also generally means buffered frames so you get a couple more frames of input latency dependent on the game. The deck doesn't introduce any more latency beyond that though. Not really going to be that big a deal in any game with frame independent timing, Elden Ring frame limited to 40 on the Steam Deck is still gonna be more responsive than the console experience plugged into the typical TV. Things with hard timing that expect 60fps like a lot of 2D games do, won't like it, don't turn the frame limiter on on those.

The short answer though is, you can't have it both ways. If you care about latency you can't also care about power. But also if you care about power that much why are you using a Steam Deck.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 19, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Similar question - what do I do with the Scumm .bin and .cue files so I can actually play The Dig?

I've hit my quota of questions for the day!

You'll need to mount that as a CD image somehow, whether that's opening it on your PC with a disc tool or iso7z, or installing bchunk, converting to ISO, and mounting that ISO loopback. ScummVM can't load from bin/cue files directly. You'll have to copy the files mentioned in the wiki entry to a folder in /roms/scummvm/ named thedig.scummvm

Then you'll also need to create an empty file named thedig.scummvm in that folder, if you want SteamRomManager to be able to parse it and add it to your library.

If you want to use ESDE then you have to use the ScummVM shortname (dig) instead of thedig. The EmuDeck wiki points out that if you do the ESDE way, you'll almost certainly have to add overrides so SRM can correctly get the game name.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

FYI, switching No Man's Sky to 30fps (in game) doubles whatever battery life you had playing it on the Deck.

It runs pretty good at 40 but I does have dips down for whatever reason. Is the 30 actually locked because I thought I read it ends up doing the same thing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

JLaw posted:

A quick "is it just me or what" question...

In desktop mode, it seems that Firefox is not working as the default URL handler, for URLs clicked on in other contexts. For example if I click on a link in a system tray menu (for SyncThingy) that is supposed to open a webpage, or if I click on a link in some apps description in Discover. Nothing happens.

The system settings say that Firefox should be the handler. Firefox's own settings say that it isn't, but I've read that the flatpak version of Firefox will always say that.

Is this a normal problem to have? Anyone know of a fix? Thanks...

FWIW it looks like this lays out the problem and discusses workarounds that can be used until Valve fixes it.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Anyone got the gog version of vampire masquerade bloodlines working on the deck? I installed through heroic, but is there updates or mods I should do?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JLaw posted:

Is this a normal problem to have? Anyone know of a fix? Thanks...
Does it work if you open a terminal (Konsole) and run this command?
code:
systemctl --user restart xdg-desktop-portal
I noticed last week when working on the Humble Games Collection that Firefox won't open links to elsewhere without xdg-desktop-portal-kde running, and that's currently broken on Deck (it works if xdg-desktop-portal is (re)started in Desktop mode but not when it's started in Game mode, which is what happens on boot).

If it does, you could add a .desktop file to ~/.config/autostart that calls that command, but Valve should really fix it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ShaneB posted:

homeless snail posted:

The deck doesn't introduce any more latency beyond that though.
I discussed this a bit in my earlier effort posts, but it does appear the Deck adds a "few" additional frames of latency when "vsync" is enabled (i.e., a Vulkan FIFO presentation mode).

If you're input latency sensitive you'll want to turn the frame limiter off and disable in-game vsync. I don't know if Elden Ring has an internal frame limiter or just runs uncapped, but if it starts running "too fast" you can try turning down the TDP or set a fixed GPU clock to approximate an average frame rate. You probably won't get even frame pacing doing this, but this might be preferable to you if it results in less latency. Note that you shouldn't have any screen tearing regardless if vsync is on or off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

parasyte posted:

Should go in ~/.var/app/io.github.shiiion.primehack/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/R3M/

There'll already be a couple folders in there as EmuDeck preinstalls the Steam Deck UI textures.

Thank you! Extracting all of these textures is taking forever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Spent some time today getting emulators configured and a bunch of games added, most of which work great, but now Emulation Station won't run at all. I've tried updating it through EmuDeck, and then even doing a clean install from the AppImage but Emulation Station still just stops at the "loading system config" screen whenever I try to open it. Anyone else run into this problem?

If nothing else I guess I can just do a clean uninstall/reinstall of EmuDeck and see if that fixes it, not particularly concerned about save files or whatever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I pull the steam deck off the dock to look at the battery and it's at 89.3% health...

This seems very weird, my Pixel 4XL is 89.4% and I've had this for more than 2 years...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I pull the steam deck off the dock to look at the battery and it's at 89.3% health...

This seems very weird, my Pixel 4XL is 89.4% and I've had this for more than 2 years...

My laptop once showed it was at like 60 something % health and I let the battery drain and recharge and it went back to 93 or something and its been there since. I don't trust battery health % at all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Here are step-by-step instructions for setting up the Wii U Zelda BotW mod loader on the Steam Deck.

parasyte posted:

Textures should go in ~/.var/app/io.github.shiiion.primehack/data/dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/R3M/

There'll already be a couple folders in there as EmuDeck preinstalls the Steam Deck UI textures.
Neat, thanks. Saving this for later.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any particularly interesting BoTW mods? I enjoyed my time with BoTW but I think to dive back in they'd need to be some major stuff instead of texture swaps and such

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any particularly interesting BoTW mods? I enjoyed my time with BoTW but I think to dive back in they'd need to be some major stuff instead of texture swaps and such

The only mods I've seen that are worth a drat are the Steam Deck specific ones to render at 16:10 ratio and lock the framerate at 40fps.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

That was a good question and I just recently got new internet through Xfinity so I went and checked. Turns out with my setup they "automatically determine whether to use 2.4 or 5" and there's no way to manually set it.

Which is an extremely gross thing to see.

You can pretty easily change that: at the moment you have 2 separate WAPs at either frequency with the same SSID; change the SSIDs to different values like "SSID_5" and that will allow you to manually select the WAP you use. I have every device I can connect to my 5 GHz network; the 2.4 GHz one is only for devices that can't do 5 GHz (or are temporarily out of range.)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Imo no, it's not worth replaying it for mods. But if you're going to replay it anyway, you may as well put the motorcycle in the starting area.

There are well done mods to play as Zelda or female Link, if that's your thing. There are mods with new content like shrines, but again I don't think they're worth replaying the game for unless you're big into BotW.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Uh I complained to valve about my delivery taking too long and they are sending me a second deck, either they know something I don't and the first one they sent is gone. Or they are idiots. I really hope I end up with 2 that would be hilarious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Eh, I work customer service/support for a big toy company and we often don't know more than the customer when it comes to shipping.
Situations like that we often reship orders if they've been on transit for way too long and just tell the customer "please let us know if you receive both and we'll arrange a return for the extra"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I finally got my new reading glasses to compensate for my near sight which has gone to poo poo over the past year. Holy poo poo, being able to hold the Deck at a comfortable distance (instead of hands straight) and having everything be crisp and lovely is so good.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

someone please buy and test the uncharted collection and the world ends with you neo, tia

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I got emulation stuff going last night finally, loaded up Link Between Worlds on Citra... And was immediately disappointed. It's basically unplayable with tons of tiny hitches. Is there a way to tweak settings to make it less resource intensive? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to actually change emulator settings via EmuDeck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw GameXplain’s Uncharted Steam Deck impressions and they xplained that Uncharted worked pretty well on Steam Deck but it ate through battery and it loses something in the transition to a small handheld screen since it’s meant to be this theatrical gaming experience meant for a bigger screen.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I got emulation stuff going last night finally, loaded up Link Between Worlds on Citra... And was immediately disappointed. It's basically unplayable with tons of tiny hitches. Is there a way to tweak settings to make it less resource intensive? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to actually change emulator settings via EmuDeck.

Open Citra and adjust the settings there?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Maybe have a look at this guy's video for some tips on tweaks, e.g. using PowerTools to go down to 4 cores (increasing the clock speed of each one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzSHxccmIg&t=751s

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If I was wanting to emulate windwaker, what version should I do? GameCube or Wii U?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wii u for HD version, performance shouldn't matter to the SD

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw GameXplain’s Uncharted Steam Deck impressions and they xplained that Uncharted worked pretty well on Steam Deck but it ate through battery and it loses something in the transition to a small handheld screen since it’s meant to be this theatrical gaming experience meant for a bigger screen.

If you got the rig for it it's worth just streaming the larger games from your desktop.

I've been playing CP2077 with raytracing on steam deck thanks for that steam link feature.

just got to wait for my dock to finally arrive and I can play it on my TV

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I also accidentally hid or removed the "Removable Devices" section of Dolphin file explorer in Desktop Mode and don't know how to get it back....

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

If you got the rig for it it's worth just streaming the larger games from your desktop.

I've been playing CP2077 with raytracing on steam deck thanks for that steam link feature.

just got to wait for my dock to finally arrive and I can play it on my TV

If you have an Nvidia card, then using Nvidia's Gamestream can be even better than the Steam Link. No detectable input lag and less finicky than Steam Link.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gamestream is better than Steamlink on the Steamdeck?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

Gamestream is better than Steamlink on the Steamdeck?

Yeah. While researching some issues I had with Destiny 2 I came across a bunch of people recommending Gamestream over the Steam Link. Quality seems better and fewer weird config issues.

Anecdotally I had a controls issue that would've been the same on link and the quality of the stream was incredibly, but it's the latency that blew me away. I've had a dedicated steam link device running before on decent hardware and got nowhere near as good response time. I literally could not notice any input lag.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

If I was wanting to emulate windwaker, what version should I do? GameCube or Wii U?

Whichever version you prefer. Gyro aiming and the swift sail are unique to the bloom-nightmare that is the HD version, but there's a graphics pack for that. If you don't want to tinker at all, Dolphin is quicker to get going.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yeah. While researching some issues I had with Destiny 2 I came across a bunch of people recommending Gamestream over the Steam Link. Quality seems better and fewer weird config issues.

Anecdotally I had a controls issue that would've been the same on link and the quality of the stream was incredibly, but it's the latency that blew me away. I've had a dedicated steam link device running before on decent hardware and got nowhere near as good response time. I literally could not notice any input lag.

I'll have to check it out. Does Gamestream work the same as steamlink where your saves, etc., will still be on the source computer?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Wii U added loads of great quality of life improvements relating to sailing. Specifically upping how fast you can go so you’re spending less time in an empty blue void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

I'll have to check it out. Does Gamestream work the same as steamlink where your saves, etc., will still be on the source computer?

Yes, you're just running Moonlight and sending input while receiving video+audio stream. Everything runs on the host PC.

I followed this video but it's super straightforward anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqpcOdprNWw&t=1706s