Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

OwlFancier posted:

I just really struggle to see why this is somehow not what people voted for, they voted to put the tories in power, at the time they did that it was loving johnson in charge running on the platform of hard brexit who cares, if people vote for that I don't think they then get to turn around and go "how could I possibly have known what that would lead to" as if this end state has not been visible from loving space.

They voted tory, they're getting tories. This is what tories are. I don't think this in any way is undemocratic other than to the degree the UK's version of democracy has been decidedly imperfect for the past several centuries.

They voted for tories for up to five years, that's what they're getting. I would certainly argue that this suggests that they shouldn't be making any decisions in future because they're clearly loving morons, but I can't credibly argue that they aren't getting what they voted for.

I get your point but I think you're overvaluing the amount of thought that goes into most Tory voters decision making. They think the Tories are going to make them more materially wealthy because that is their entire brand, but now the brand has been smeared by some reality because Liz Truss tried to go full mask off tory at a moment when the lie that they have any moral qualms about anything is more necessary than usual. So people who also have none are now realising that they have been exposed and are feeling under threat. Their mandate was to continue the lie that capitalism is going to make us all healthier and happier and they've failed to do that.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Lmao of *course* Braverman and Bad Enoch are running. I don't *think* there are enough truly deranged MPs to let either through to the members, but there might be. In which case lol and lmao forever

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

roomtone posted:

there's got to be a GE asap. the facade that we live in a democracy is completely gone otherwise, and i don't think we're quite that far in the toilet.

Hey if the cons over there are anything like they are over here, they do not give one solitary flying gently caress about democracy :911:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

JordanKai posted:

I see what you're saying, but I don't agree 100%. People vote for their representative, yes, but they vote for a representative knowing who the Prime Minister will be if their representative's party wins. This knowledge has a non-zero effect on voting behaviour surely, and because of that I wouldn't say that a GE mandate carries over after a leadership election, at least not in full.

e: I'm using "mandate" in a social sense, to be clear. Obviously they still have the same electoral mandate as before.
I'd say the more important factor here is that the conservatives were voted in based on their manifesto in 2019. Thats what their mandate was from the public. Very publically having a new election where a tiny amount of people chose between leaders with completely new and contradictory sets of policies is why any sane democracy would force the new leader to run those past the public by holding a GE.

We don't have one of those though lol. Still the pantomime internal procedures of the conservative party shredding the kayfabe that manifesto pledges matter at all is part of why Liz was so hugely unpopular. This would have been easier to get way with if the party hadn't been crowing about their majority and mandate since 2019.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skull Servant posted:

She's elected to represent a constituency, then elected by her peers in the lower house to be the figurehead for the house. Resignation of the latter role does not impact her election by the former.

In addition to this, look at countries like Israel and Ireland (later this year). Both are examples of the office of Prime Minister rotating mid-term to represent the two largest parties in coalition. Neither change results in a GE.

Israel and Ireland had those rotating PMs agreed in advance during coalition negotiations (I think), it's not the same thing and comparing 2-party systems to multi-party systems is also not accurate.

I agree with other posters that the UK PM is hugely influential in shaping policy as well as literally appointing the whole cabinet, so pretending like they're just some nobody acting as a mouthpiece for the House of Commons is a really dishonest way of presenting things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Red Bones posted:

1922 Committee has said they want to conclude a leadership election by the 28th and have a new leader in before the 31st October. So if they want the party members to have a vote on it, they're going to have to be pretty quick about it.

Be interesting to know wither they just want it quick because they've already had so much turmoil this year, and just want things settled, or if the committee have an idea of who they want in and think if the leadership election is done fast enough they think their preferred candidate has a far better chance.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
lmao at the Sky News analyst who used the term "she produced a budget that spontaneously combusted the moment it hit reality"

I'm going to be using that from now on for projects that are dead on arrival

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
If you think that a PM that won a general election in 2019 on a manifesto being replaced by a PM voted in by a small membership in order to basically act counter to that whole manifesto is conceptually fine then maybe stop pretending democracy is an important part of the system.

I mean this separate from the practical incentives in the system - yes, it is obvious why the Tories wouldn't want to have a general election now, but let's not pretend that's because of some consistent democratic belief rather than entirely out of self-preservation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

William Bear posted:

Is it correct to say that the problem is that the people of the UK voted for Brexit in 2016? Their elected representatives then had a popular mandate to make the country poorer, which left them unable to govern effectively.

I mean they also voted for the tories in 2015, and tory/lib dem in 2010, and frankly however far back you want to go.

They aren't "unable to govern effectively" they're governing in a way that has been done across the globe, cutting public services, privatizing things, funnelling money to the rich from the public purse and directly out of people's bank accounts by forcing them to pay for private provision of basic services which they can't do without such as housing and food and energy, and now healthcare. It is not ineffective governance it is deliberate governance for the rich and for the owning classes.

Brexit is I suppose the first time it got "out of hand" in that it wasn't what cameron wanted, he called the referendum so he could win it and then he lost it, but that, arguably, is because his and previous governments had traded on the support of the right wing press and those governments and that press, had spent decades previously using the EU as a scapegoat for the malevolence of those governments. That is an example of the deliberate government erosion of the public institutions coming back to bite them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OwlFancier posted:

I just really struggle to see why this is somehow not what people voted for, they voted to put the tories in power, at the time they did that it was loving johnson in charge running on the platform of hard brexit who cares, if people vote for that I don't think they then get to turn around and go "how could I possibly have known what that would lead to" as if this end state has not been visible from loving space.

They voted tory, they're getting tories. This is what tories are. I don't think this in any way is undemocratic other than to the degree the UK's version of democracy has been decidedly imperfect for the past several centuries.

.... and if UK media is anything like it is in the states, people were told that the alternative to the conservatives was death and anarchy

I'm assuming the public was told in all caps "YOUR ONLY MODERATE CHOICE IS THE CONS" ?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

The UK PM is for all intents and purposes the head of state (yes its officially the king but all political power is enacted through Parliament led by the PM). In no way are they equivalent to whatever the US Speaker does.

This is a stupid derail but it is absolutely the closest America has to it and I'm really surprised people are making it more difficult than it actually is. Resignation of the President does not result in an election, but there is a formal line of succession which does not apply to PM. Chief of Staff also does not apply because it is not an elected position, along with all of the President's Cabinet.

Yes, Westminster systems have literal Speakers of the House but, in function, it works differently to the USA. Speakers in Westminster systems are typically "unelected" in their constituencies by convention, unlike in the USA. It is absolutely the closest possible comparison.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tories are having a normal one, eh?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wow, Liz absolutely smashed the UK Prime Minister speedrun record, previously set in 1827. Just about the only way she could've done better is using a knife instead of a sneeze to murder the Queen.

Boris must be absolutely seething that he missed getting to look solemn at a royal funeral for this.

44 days /played any%.

This one will last.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Chinese Gordon posted:

Lmao of *course* Braverman and [b]Bad Enochp/b] are running. I don't *think* there are enough truly deranged MPs to let either through to the members, but there might be. In which case lol and lmao forever

That's not a surprise she seemed quite popular with tory voters due to her whole anti-woke bollocks.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

lmao at the Sky News analyst who used the term "she produced a budget that spontaneously combusted the moment it hit reality"

I'm going to be using that from now on for projects that are dead on arrival

"Reports are saying that the budget was 'compromised to a permanent end'"

Also:

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1583085063121809410

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I agree with other posters that the UK PM is hugely influential in shaping policy as well as literally appointing the whole cabinet, so pretending like they're just some nobody acting as a mouthpiece for the House of Commons is a really dishonest way of presenting things.

Actually it was just a coincidence that everyone attacked Corbyn for several years when there was a possibility he would become PM, rather than just the MP for Islington North.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

.... and if UK media is anything like it is in the states, people were told that the alternative to the conservatives was death and anarchy

I'm assuming the public was told in all caps "YOUR ONLY MODERATE CHOICE IS THE CONS" ?

Sure, in the face of the last, at the time, almost ten years of reality.

Which is why the british public are unspeakable loving morons who aren't capable of making decisions about anything, and why I find their current buyer's remorse nothing but contemptible.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

bessantj posted:

That's not a surprise she seemed quite popular with tory voters due to her whole anti-woke bollocks.

I know. I'd be more surprised if she *didn't* run. There will be a candidate for the lunatic wing to coalesce around (again) and if that candidate is allowed through to the completely unhinged membership (again) then we are truly in Cool Zone territory(again?).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

William Bear posted:

Is it correct to say that the problem is that the people of the UK voted for Brexit in 2016? Their elected representatives then had a popular mandate to make the country poorer, which left them unable to govern effectively.

No, the problem is we didn't elect Jeremy Corbyn when we had the chance, & he didn't install government by workers councils instead of a bourgeoise parliament.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

According to law, the lettuce is now the PM and all lettucelative power is transferred to the Tofu party.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The way I see it, what you actually vote on is 'This person is the one I choose to represent my interests in Parliament' And part of the power that MP is entrusted with is picking who gets to be the Prime Minister. So doesn't matter how many prime ministers resign, as long as the person you have voted for, your MP is still sitting there, your vote is still being honoured.

Heck, this goes far beyond 'Well, shouldn't there be a re election because they switched some plans' As I understand it, a MP can outright switch parties and maintain his seat, because they are still the person everyone voted for. And that's even so in the US.

Perhaps best understood as 'If the President was elected by a vote of congress, rather than popular vote' then it doesn't matter how many presidents resigned, your vote was for seating that congressperson, and as long as his term runs, they get to vote for as many presidents as the situation calls for.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

[reading comprehension]

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 20, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol Boris is running

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Skull Servant posted:

This is a stupid derail but it is absolutely the closest America has to it and I'm really surprised people are making it more difficult than it actually is. Resignation of the President does not result in an election, but there is a formal line of succession which does not apply to PM. Chief of Staff also does not apply because it is not an elected position, along with all of the President's Cabinet.

Yes, Westminster systems have literal Speakers of the House but, in function, it works differently to the USA. Speakers in Westminster systems are typically "unelected" in their constituencies by convention, unlike in the USA. It is absolutely the closest possible comparison.

It really isn't.

The Speaker of the House in the US is effectively the Leader of the House of Commons in the UK as far as their actual role goes, in terms of setting the legislative agenda and the making sure the government is making use of the structural advantages it has when it comes to the legislative function of government.

The US also having a VP is useful since they are elected on the same ticket as the President, so they already have that democratic mandate.

This is also ignoring the fact that the President doesn't choose when the elections are run (nor does the Speaker), so they at least have a conceptual out by pointing at the normal functioning of the system.

The UK PM does not - they can call an election at any time, so a new PM coming in is making an active decision to not call an election.

Honestly the only way your comparison would make sense is if you didn't consider the executive function to be the head of government, and that head to instead be the head of the legislature, which is a baffling position.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sinky posted:

Actually it was just a coincidence that everyone attacked Corbyn for several years when there was a possibility he would become PM, rather than just the MP for Islington North.

That reminds me does anyone know how Labour is getting on in selecting candidates for his constituency? And, as a Labour party member, does Corbyn get a vote in selecting that person because lmao

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol Boris is running

Wait really?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Lol Boris is running

As expected, who else were the ERG going to pick. They have run out of their presentable picks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Potential forums namechange to Cheap Reformed Meat Hunk
New PM and LOTO:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

massive spider posted:

Thread is moving fast but I'm going to try and paraphrase it partly as practice to explain it to a Canadian friend.

Boris gets forced out of power for being a lying sack of poo poo to the point even his own MPs are sick of him.

After a leadership contest (in which only conservative members are allowed to vote) Liz Truss becomes PM. Being a PM not appointed by general election is already a fairly dodgy position to be in politically.

Queen dies, everything goes on hold for a bit.

After normal business resumes the first thing she does is lay out a "mini" budget thats basically a giveaway to the wealthy, funded by borrowing.

No one likes this. IN theory this is what conservatives love, tax breaks and dergulation. In practice its so insane to be doing this in the middle of a period of financial hardship it looks awful, and the market sees it goes "well, things are hosed" and the pond plummets in value. The ensuing chaos drives everyones mortgage up, which is basically the tories voting base.

To stem the bleeding Truss fires her chancellor (for enacting her own policy) as scapegoat and makes a series of embarrassing u turns. A new chancellor is appointed who practically says "yeah forget all that". Her authority is pretty much lost. There is however an internal tory rule saying that a PM gets at least a year before the party can oust them, but whispers are that that can change real quick.

On Wednesday, the Home Secretary (psychopath, though I could appoint that label to most in this story) suddenly resigns for what is apparently a very minor security breech but more likely a: was forced out b: is fleeing the sinking ship.

Also on Wednesday a vote is put forward by Labour, the opposition party on fracking. Fracking is a contentious issue for this PM since its one where her cabinet (pro fracking) is opposed to a policy the Johnson cabinet had in their manifesto (banning it). No one really likes fracking. MPs hate it because their constituents dont want it in their back yard. Not even the industry really pushes for it because its questionable how viable it really is in the UK anyway. The vote by labour is an obvious trap for the PM.

The PM walks straight into it by desperately trying to make a show of strength by calling it a confidence vote. In essence "Look! We really are a stable government after all! Look how we all come together united to vote on this issue!" and enforces a three line whip on it (MPs must vote with us or be expelled from the party).

Tory PMs stand up in government and essentially say "why god, why are you forcing me to vote with the PM on this issue?" the chief whip (the person in charge of telling MPs what to do and how to vote) reportedly resigns? Then unresigns. No one is actually sure if this is really a confidence vote at all since the PMs office has wussed out at the last minute and are now suggesting maybe it isnt. The tory party wins the vote, but no one is happy about it and any last hope Truss would turn things around is gone.

Truss resigns.

Thanks for that writeup. Sounds like a real shitshow, sorry you guys are going through it. On the fracking issue, does that mean fracking is now unbanned?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm kind of thinking of putting a bet down on Boris being PM again by Christmas.

Wish I'd actually done this

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

Mordaunt will be PM, and win the votes of all the horniest centrist dad's. Keith will be left in the dust.

Conservative Party Political Broadcasts will be like those M&S Food adverts with steamy saxophone music

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1583091554574831617?t=UomCmDfGY44-CXmmXyj2MQ&s=19

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's a bit weird that Americans have trouble understanding this when their system works the same? When Nixon resigned, Gerald Ford became president. But Ford was an appointee after the elected VP Spiro Agnew resigned. So no one had voted for the president. They had an election two-and-a-bit years later, as previously scheduled.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol Boris is running

Sickos.png

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The power of the executive is with parliament, via the magic mace or whatever, but the point is they just pick someone to push the actual buttons, the UK political system has not considered it very important to restrict the executive power to a specific person via elections, and it's weird to me that we now suddenly do need to do that just because people watch too much american TV and think that's how it works.

I'm not really convinced that the american approach produces better results.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

From whence did this gangtag originate? Because it's surely relevant again.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I love this timeline! He's absolutely going to be PM ahahahaha

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

New PM and LOTO:

Pork Prism is a damned good name for a prog rock band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shogeton posted:

The way I see it, what you actually vote on is 'This person is the one I choose to represent my interests in Parliament' And part of the power that MP is entrusted with is picking who gets to be the Prime Minister. So doesn't matter how many prime ministers resign, as long as the person you have voted for, your MP is still sitting there, your vote is still being honoured

How many voters do you think knew who their MP was (or their preferred party's candidate) in the 2019 election, rather than Johnson and Corbyn?