Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

i say swears online posted:

what's this bullshit about a hundred-member threshold for a leader endorsement? are they seriously gonna skip a member vote and install sunak

They'll intend to but chances are the different factions hate each other so much that the final two will both refuse to back down and it'll be a cobbled together online members vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

namesake posted:

They'll intend to but chances are the different factions hate each other so much that the final two will both refuse to back down and it'll be a cobbled together online members vote.

is there any way sunak and mourdant keep boris out of the final two? i could see mourdant dropping out and giving it to sunak by default but boris wouldn't do it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the chad lettuce doesn't vote, it simply wins by default

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

X-posting from doomsday Econ-

I found the problem: In Truss' book she uses Canada's "Decade of Darkness" as a positive example lol. In a chapter titled "A Tale of Two Nations", we get this summary,

"At the turn of the millennium, British voters and politicians demanded far more spending than they were prepared to raise in tax. The result was chronic deficits, and a country unprepared for the financial crisis. Across the Atlantic, Canada took a very different path."

What follows is pure ideology that sees the destruction of Canadian society, which we have still not recovered from, as a good thing to be emulated.

quote:

It was to be the unlikely duo of left-wing Chrétien and Martin who were eventually to tackle the deficit. The two of them were to dominate Canadian politics for the next decade in a story that was to strangely mirror the relationship of Blair and Brown across the Atlantic. Chrétien was a popular, charismatic Prime Minister. Martin was known equally for his supposed economic competence and his pursuit of his leader’s job. After finally achieving his goal of the leadership in 2003, he served a short and largely disastrous term in office where he became widely mocked as ‘Mr Dithers’ for his inability to make a decision.

There was of course one crucial difference between the record of Blair and Brown, and that of Chrétien and Martin. While Blair and Brown’s legacy to Britain was a record deficit, Chrétien and Martin succeeded in eliminating Canada’s.

Chrétien and Martin were fortunate in that the major political resistance they faced to their deficit reduction programme was internal. Their right-wing opposition, the Reform Party, was pushing, if anything, for them to go further.

This gave the Liberals the space to be radical. As Martin would become well known for saying, they would close the deficit ‘come hell or high water’. He was determined to avoid the ‘quicksand of compound interest’ and argued that ‘the debt and deficit are not inventions of ideology’.

Fortunately for Martin, he would succeed with what would come to be seen as a classic example of a fiscal contraction. Altogether, the Government cut federal spending by around 20 per cent between 1992 and 1997.

The central feature of the Canadian approach was a comprehensive ‘Programme Review’. Every area of Government spending was examined. For each programme, a team of ministers and civil servants examined whether the initiative was truly worth doing and, if so, whether it could be better done at a provincial level or within the private sector. If individual ministers couldn’t come forward with sensible proposals, the Prime Minister threatened to impose 10 per cent cuts for them.

The strategy was to rethink what the Government did, rather than just make short-term adjustments that would quickly be reversed in years to come. Trying simply to slow the growth of spending had been attempted before, but it had failed. Absolute cuts were now needed.

At the same time, it was important that every department shared some of the pain. As Marcel Massé, the senior civil servant who led the review, said, ‘There was blood on the floor everywhere, but at least everyone could see that others were hurting too.’ Even the health and veterans departments were to see moderate cuts.

Altogether, the Government made six to seven dollars of spending cuts to every dollar in new taxes. The Government fired 45,000 civil servants, and slashed subsidies to business, agriculture and the regions. The rates and the eligibility for unemployment insurance were reduced. Petro-Canada, a Government-owned energy company, was sold. Airports were transferred to localities and the railway CN sold. Transport spending fell by 50 per cent, while the defence budget was cut by 15 per cent.

Welfare proved to be one of the main sources of savings. Canada’s Unemployment Insurance allowed citizens to claim for up to 50 weeks after just ten weeks of work. In some seasonal industries such as fishing, some workers settled into an annual routine of two months of work, followed by ten months ‘on the pogey’. By 1999, Martin’s reforms had ensured that the total paid out in unemployment benefits was 40 per cent less in real terms than in 1990. Far fewer people could qualify.

Treasury forecasts were kept deliberately cautious, much more pessimistic than those of the private sector. The actual results exceeded everyone’s expectations. Canada ran a surplus for every year between 1997 and 2009. The result was that federal debt fell from 67 per cent to only 29 per cent of GDP.26 Despite the fiscal contraction, there was little effect on the wider economy. Between 2001 and 2007, the Canadian economy grew at the same rate as the British, at 2.6 per cent.

The real test of the economy’s durability, however, was to come with the 2007 financial crisis. Canada couldn’t avoid the impact of the crisis entirely: the main customer for its exports, after all, was the troubled US. Nevertheless, Canada rebounded faster than any other member of the G7. Part of the reason was that Canada had the room to indulge in fiscal stimulus when the economic recession arrived. Canada had, to steal a phrase, rebuilt its roof while the sun was shining. Net debt in 2008 was just 22 per cent of GDP.

These are not events fondly remembered in my native land.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So when is the British press going to go after Corbyn for ruining the country once again?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/ai_curio_bot/status/1583160841255256064

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1583160171466891264

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i fed Dall E "Liz Truss locked in combat with a head of lettuce" and uh...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Jeremy Hunt is probably going to be the new PM

It's time to get *puts on something on british people would describe as "shades"* Dickensian

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Saw V: Lettuce Be

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I am confused. She got the job, she maintained the status quo, and was quickly fired because....... ?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

uber_stoat posted:

i fed Dall E "Liz Truss locked in combat with a head of lettuce" and uh...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

truss the plan

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Animal-Mother posted:

I am confused. She got the job, she maintained the status quo, and was quickly fired because....... ?

She didn't maintain the status quo. The international financial market has accepted that the UK is declining at a particular pace and so is running down its investments and so on according to that general timescale. Truss announced a new strategy of growth driven by sudden and massive cash giveaways at the cost of the remaining fragile state institutions, putting the whole thing at risk. The market traders hated it as it changed the speed of decline, the Tory party hated it because it put their nice easy ride of slow corruption at risk by revealing their overall strategy and so the movers and shakers shook her out of office.

She announced she was tearing the steel support beams out of the towerblocks main support when there was still some copper wire on the upper floors to rip out basically.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Animal-Mother posted:

The country is collapsing and we need someone to blame.
Surely our political system can find a way out of this crisis, unfortunately this is the only thing it knows how to do so let's hope it works

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AnimeIsTrash posted:

truss the plan
truss the pain away

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Animal-Mother posted:

she set a quarter of a trillion pounds on fire in about 3 days and 2 policies then absolutely refused to believe the global finance industry when they told her she was hours away from bankrupting the uk economy and taking everyone with them

then everyone went absolutely off the rails and started screaming about tofu and assaulting their mps for trying to vote wrong, all on camera.

it was great content but very undignified and she hosed with rich people

e; also she murdered the queen and is obviously a deep cover marxist

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Misogyny

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

doktor.. turn off my romaine inhibitors

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
has anyone ever asked liz about her day collar?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Perhaps her entire time as PM has been acting out a huge humiliation fetish.

She killed the queen, crashed the pound, and then got her kink on. Honestly, respect.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

endlessmonotony posted:

She killed the queen, crashed the pound, and then got her kink on. Honestly, respect.

nuke me vladdy ive been a bad girl

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So is the PM spot now just kinda like hot potato where no one wants to be holding it while the looting of the country goes on?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Signing myself up for 1,000,000,000 years of lmaos if Bojo gets back in office

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

uncanny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttjOqTW-8CA

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

China needs to intervene militarily, a humanitarian restoration of order and democracy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

theresa may ftw

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

theresa may ftw

a rotating PM that changes each day between liz, may, and bojo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SorePotato posted:

China needs to intervene militarily, a humanitarian restoration of order and democracy

Restore the illegally deposed Truss regime.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SorePotato posted:

Chairman Xi the people cry out for salvation

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bedpan posted:

a rotating PM that changes each day between liz, may, and bojo

bring back david cameron

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’re the home of harry potter isn’t there a hat who could choose the next PM

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Boris has left the island of Elba...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

namesake posted:

She didn't maintain the status quo. The international financial market has accepted that the UK is declining at a particular pace and so is running down its investments and so on according to that general timescale. Truss announced a new strategy of growth driven by sudden and massive cash giveaways at the cost of the remaining fragile state institutions, putting the whole thing at risk. The market traders hated it as it changed the speed of decline, the Tory party hated it because it put their nice easy ride of slow corruption at risk by revealing their overall strategy and so the movers and shakers shook her out of office.

She announced she was tearing the steel support beams out of the towerblocks main support when there was still some copper wire on the upper floors to rip out basically.

yeah i thought that generally was the status quo these days

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

SorePotato posted:

Meanwhile Argentina is eyeing up Las Malvinas and wondering if the UK is sufficiently distracted

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Jel Shaker posted:

we’re the home of harry potter isn’t there a hat who could choose the next PM

I thought they used the Sorting Mace to winnow out the pool of candidates

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hillary 2024 posted:

Meanwhile Argentina is eyeing up Las Malvinas and wondering if the UK is sufficiently distracted

I think the issue is that the UK is in a position now where their reaction would be unpredictable, but I have no doubt things would be pushed far beyond the brink to avoid taking an L. If you remember in the first Falklands, there were already plans for the US to enter the conflict in various ways, such as "transferring" a fully crewed US super carrier and air group to the UK, should they lose one of their own. We've seen how far they're willing to go to avoid the end of the End of History in Ukraine. I'm not saying they'd break out the Tritons right away, but I would be more worried than in periods when the UK was stronger.

When the Hong Kong negotiations were going on, and Deng told Thatcher "I'm just being polite, we could take the territory whenever we please", and in response the UK cooked up some genuinely terrifying war plans. They planned to invade two of their allies in the Middle East, Kuwait and Qatar, when Suez looked like it might lead to an oil embargo. They were prepared to go to war with Indonesia over Borneo and fought a ten year undeclared war. They planned an invasion of Zimbabwe.

If that's how the UK acted when they were still relatively strong and in modest decline, there's no telling how they'll handle it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Portugal with nukes!