Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

headcase posted:

I want to try the "be a ninja with genji and still get back to save your team" thing that good players do, but I don't have the confidence.

When I see a healer with a good escape on our team, so basically Moira, I'm happy because I know as Kiriko I dont have to keep constantly peeling to my other support to help them fight some flanker and I can go and do cool things like get a cheeky support pick. If we have a Zen I'm just sad and 75% of the time for good reason.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is Moira's range longer than the graphic or was I just lagging or something? I last played OW1 just before she came out. In OW2 I've had a few instances where I was, ahem, strategically falling back, and I'd die to her despite being across the room. With her POV on the death cam I'd see the beam end several feet in front of me but I was still getting shredded. On a sprinting soldier 76 for the last instance.

I played a ton of Symmetra in OW1 so I'm used to the beam lock-on, not having it feels wrong to me. I also lost all my Roadhog skills, he was my second most played in OW1 and I'm terrible with him now. I think I have just enough bad habits and wrong info from early OW1 that I'd be better off coming in as a brand new player.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bagrada posted:

Is Moira's range longer than the graphic or was I just lagging or something? I last played OW1 just before she came out. In OW2 I've had a few instances where I was, ahem, strategically falling back, and I'd die to her despite being across the room. With her POV on the death cam I'd see the beam end several feet in front of me but I was still getting shredded. On a sprinting soldier 76 for the last instance.

I played a ton of Symmetra in OW1 so I'm used to the beam lock-on, not having it feels wrong to me. I also lost all my Roadhog skills, he was my second most played in OW1 and I'm terrible with him now. I think I have just enough bad habits and wrong info from early OW1 that I'd be better off coming in as a brand new player.

you're probably getting dinged by poison orb, as it has a fairly large radius and is what most moiras will throw out like 90% of the time if their team isn't in a bottleneck where they can bounce it like a racquet ball against a wall

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

headcase posted:

I want to try the "be a ninja with genji and still get back to save your team" thing that good players do, but I don't have the confidence.

I know you can do it!!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Okay I got to play one round of attack on Temple of Anubis thanks to the Assault Map Rotation in Arcade and I changed my mind it can stay gone and buried.

Still a really pretty map though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Moira is a bullshit character.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
im glad the dumb 2cp maps and shield meta are gone, at least down where i'm at here in wood tier.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Bleck posted:

YOU'RE A BULLSHIT CHARACTER!

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Played as Brig the other day and kept getting dumpstered by Sombra. She’d hack me and then one-clip me before I could get my shield/cooldowns back. A couple games later I played as Sombra and just ruined the game for the enemy Brig; she couldn’t turn around fast enough to block the hack and her stocky hitbox was pretty easy to hit from just outside of flail range.

Anyways it’s a really weird meta when Sombra hard-counters Brig, so she probably needs a nerf right quick.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's incredible how a match turns around when someone switches to sombra and keeps jumping me.

Well eat poo poo, then it becomes brig time.

AndNowMax posted:

Played as Brig the other day and kept getting dumpstered by Sombra. She’d hack me and then one-clip me before I could get my shield/cooldowns back. A couple games later I played as Sombra and just ruined the game for the enemy Brig; she couldn’t turn around fast enough to block the hack and her stocky hitbox was pretty easy to hit from just outside of flail range.

Anyways it’s a really weird meta when Sombra hard-counters Brig, so she probably needs a nerf right quick.

:iiam:

I had a mosquito Sombra in mystery heroes last night who would destealth hacking me, start shooting wildly, teleport out the instant I shoot back, then repeat like a full minute later. Then later that team got two Tracers. It's like gently caress off, I just want to get back to my team.

Vermain posted:

you're probably getting dinged by poison orb, as it has a fairly large radius and is what most moiras will throw out like 90% of the time if their team isn't in a bottleneck where they can bounce it like a racquet ball against a wall

It was her beam as seen on the killcam, I wish I'd recorded it. I do see her balls flying around sometimes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bagrada posted:

It was her beam as seen on the killcam, I wish I'd recorded it. I do see her balls flying around sometimes.

sometimes it's just server desync, too. i've had more than a few deaths as kiriko where i'll have pressed E, suzu goes on cooldown, i hear the sound and see the visual and get gibbed, and then i watch the deathcam and there's neither hide nor hair of it to be seen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I was playing an ultra paranoid playstyle as brig tbf, right behind my tank or right next to my support. Sombra can hack me all she likes but I could use teammates for cover and then just whipshot her away when my cooldowns are back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like I should be better with Brig but for some reason I absolutely suck at her. The positioning doesn't seem to be the same as Reinhardt, or maybe I just don't have the feel for when it's time to escape. If I focus on keeping myself alive I can generally do it but not while also helping teammates.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bleck posted:

It’s true. I normally play Lucio or Zen for support, but I gave Moira a try, and became a monster. My friend who plays Mercy, and I carried so many pubbies to victory.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rick posted:

I feel like I should be better with Brig but for some reason I absolutely suck at her. The positioning doesn't seem to be the same as Reinhardt, or maybe I just don't have the feel for when it's time to escape. If I focus on keeping myself alive I can generally do it but not while also helping teammates.
I think you need to play and less brawly with her current state now in 5v5 than you could at certain points in OW1. If you're always up with your tank holding M1 you'll probably die a lot. Sometimes just hanging back and keeping inspire up with your whip is the move. Especially you need to stick with your other support to help ward off a pesky flanker.

Are comp points only awarded via your end of season rankings now (or other comp challenges), or do you still earn 2 or 3 points per win as well like OW1?

Also playing comp as tank has been so much more enjoyable than playing support. Usually if I outplay the opposing tank we win, while playing well on support doesn't seem to correlate with wins nearly as much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah brig's ideal playstyle is actually pretty unintuitive from looking at her kit. at first glance you'd assume she was basically a secondary tank or like a melee damage/healer hybrid but really you play quite far back and rely on armor kits and mace whip (to proc Inspire) for the majority of your healing rather than M1 swings or shield bashes. you basically play as a bodyguard for your backline who holds M1 at flankers who get too close. in many cases you'll use shield bash as a mobility tool rather than a damage one.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
You've got to carefully pick your battles as Brig. It's tempting to rush into the fray but you should be sitting back at midline really procing inspire with your whip and chasing away flankers. When the other team is retreating or in disarray though you can get in there and bash some heads. You just have to avoid that feeling that you need to make a big play when you should just be chilling and keeping inspire up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Rick posted:

i cant do a drat thing with her and it makes me sad

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
JUST be in wood tier

one round of koth. gardens, constant brawling. love junker queen. they sohuld buff her healing so if you get 5 wounds shes basically unkillable or something? idk maybe that's too generic

i mean yeah just stay back and whip out of shield/medpack. that's still fun

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Please get your skills out of Bronze 5, we're supposed to suck down here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Those numbers are cute.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s true. I normally play Lucio or Zen for support, but I gave Moira a try, and became a monster. My friend who plays Mercy, and I carried so many pubbies to victory.

I main Lucio but when I really want to win and my damage characters are just blasting the enemy tank (often) I switch to Moira. She’s so good at punishing out of position backliners and then fading away around a corner or back to your line to heal everyone back up. Plus she shits out heals, I like shooting a heal orb plus heal spray for a 135/s heal burst. It’s transcendence-lite!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Bleck posted:

yeah she's what i swap to if my team is having a hard time lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Alright, get this idea I had for a character. She's a support, right? Probably one of the best supports as far as healing goes, really reliable and powerful healing that's really easy to do. But then, we also make her do a lot of damage. Like, rivaling most DPS characters amount of damage. Also, in case she's ever in danger, she has a button that instantly makes her invisible and gives her a huge movement speed boost, so she can basically teleport around."

"Sounds busted. What's the downside?"

"The downside, is that she's really easy to play as."

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm a brig main and I could write a whole effort post on her but here are some quick tips:

- Never let your shield break unless you'd die. The point of the shield is to let yourself regen health when you take damage. So its a constant trade of shield up, shield down (expecting to take damage when the shield is down). Inspire (her healing that applies over time when you do damage) takes time to heal, and your passive as a support also activates even if your shield is taking damage. Use these two things to make sure you are always in a state of taking damage or regenning, never full health and shield up!

- If you are having trouble staying alive, hold your shield bash for escapes only. Yes it is a super strong tool in a fight and running down low health heroes, but it is always better to stay alive. It goes a crazy surprisingly far distance, this is another reason to never ever let your shield break, because you cannot use your dash escape unless your shield is operational. A quick 180 shield bash gets you out of harms way FAST.

- Whip constantly. Learn the whip range and always be whipping. Bash and whip both activate inspire, this is how you heal your team and yourself when getting within melee range is too dangerous.

- If you are again struggling, only use your ult defensively. Hear a genji ult or zarya ult? Just pop that bad boy.

- You are actually really good at running down other supports. And in fact should be the person you probably are primarily focusing if not directly assisting your teammates.

I could write a lot more, like too much more but these should help any struggling brig. Maybe these are duh obvious things and if they are, sorry!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

AndNowMax posted:

Just turn your shield towards Sombra and whip shot. You shouldn't lose in the 1v1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh hey

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1583066705487880192

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I placed silver 4 going 7-2. Feels about right but going to be a long grind.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So how does Sigma's ult work? I tap the q, he yells about melody, and....nothing happens? I don't see any target to lock onto or any character to click to kill so what precisely do I do?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bleck posted:

"Alright, get this idea I had for a character. She's a support, right? Probably one of the best supports as far as healing goes, really reliable and powerful healing that's really easy to do. But then, we also make her do a lot of damage. Like, rivaling most DPS characters amount of damage. Also, in case she's ever in danger, she has a button that instantly makes her invisible and gives her a huge movement speed boost, so she can basically teleport around."

the downside is that you have gently caress all to deal with mass teamwipe ults besides heal orb + coalescence and have to directly put yourself in the line of fire to have enough consistent energy for LMB, something that will eventually get punished once you're up against good enough players

she's strong in pubs mostly because she's consistent in output, but that also gives her a low ceiling that you'll eventually bonk your head against when old tricks like "just run into the support line with poison orb + RMB" stop working every time. this isn't to say she's not good, but that she still has clear downsides compared to going a different healer if your DPS are human

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 21, 2022

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

black.lion posted:

the discord server no one asked for

https://discord.gg/UbNEvWvn

this owns. thanks

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cowslips Warren posted:

So how does Sigma's ult work? I tap the q, he yells about melody, and....nothing happens? I don't see any target to lock onto or any character to click to kill so what precisely do I do?

Left click to launch them into the air, unless they are good and dodge. Any squishy you hit who's at half health will die, ignore them. Any higher health, you can hit once in the air with your left click before they fall. A split second before they land you can aim there for a second volley.

Also during it you can rise up with space bar and hover lower with crouch!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bleck posted:

She's so good she's not even top tier support.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

She's so good she's not even top tier support.

Yeah id rather have nade or discord or lamp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

moira is good if you're severely lacking in DPS for whatever reason, if you're being flanked by a genji/tracer/sombra and need to not die, or if you have something like zarya or orisa that you can combo with

it's easy to get a passing impression of her being horseshit OP if you only play a few games as her or get killed by her W + RMB technique over and over, but her glaring weaknesses become more and more obvious the more time you spend with her and the more you end up thinking "sure would've been good if i had suzu/sound barrier/transcendence/nano boost there instead of the piss orb"

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly Moira exists solely so that when your DPS haven't done any damage all game you can still win. Even if that doesn't work for grandmaster level play I am absolutely fine with them releasing entire characters whose only purpose is to make the experience of having two purely notional DPS on your team feel better at half an edible rank.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly Moira exists solely so that when your DPS haven't done any damage all game you can still win.

her numbers are honestly often deceptive, which is something i realized after reviewing more of my own footage and scoreboards. poison orb is incredibly good at inflating your damage stat if you just huck it down a corridor on rotation, and you can have a godly healing stat without realizing that half of it is from your RMB/ult personal healing and that your team is actually eating poo poo around you. you can end up with an impression of you doing way more for your team than you actually are

there's lots of situations playing kiriko where it's very, very obvious when i've saved someone's rear end or nailed a kill and far fewer when i'm playing moira, unless i get the opportunity to freefire coalesence into the entire backline for some reason

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 21, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the only stat that meaningfully matters to game impact is the hidden elo rating, and well generally [once the matchmaking shakes out] everyone in the same game has that same Number

the scoreboard's main purpose afaict is ult tracking and for petulant manbabies to incorrectly berate their teammates

it's extremely easy for people who don't know how the game works to decipher an extremely incorrect view of the game based on the stats like you said

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Vermain posted:

once you're up against good enough players

I freely admit that I am, in fact, awful at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
does doing damage while roadhog is vaping count as full damage stat?

if you want to get an obscene damage number, you can probably just only shoot the roadhog and make sure your team doesn't have an ana nade