Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the issue is that the UK is in a position now where their reaction would be unpredictable, but I have no doubt things would be pushed far beyond the brink to avoid taking an L. If you remember in the first Falklands, there were already plans for the US to enter the conflict in various ways, such as "transferring" a fully crewed US super carrier and air group to the UK, should they lose one of their own. We've seen how far they're willing to go to avoid the end of the End of History in Ukraine. I'm not saying they'd break out the Tritons right away, but I would be more worried than in periods when the UK was stronger.

When the Hong Kong negotiations were going on, and Deng told Thatcher "I'm just being polite, we could take the territory whenever we please", and in response the UK cooked up some genuinely terrifying war plans. They planned to invade two of their allies in the Middle East, Kuwait and Qatar, when Suez looked like it might lead to an oil embargo. They were prepared to go to war with Indonesia over Borneo and fought a ten year undeclared war. They planned an invasion of Zimbabwe.

If that's how the UK acted when they were still relatively strong and in modest decline, there's no telling how they'll handle it now.

the uk military is an absolute joke and there is no way they could project that kind of power any further south or west than cornwall. The nukes dont even work and the people maintaining them are going on strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the uk naval comission process goes something like; Boat Floats, Boat has Gun, Boat no Rust, please pick 0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t the hms victory still in service

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I am confused. She got the job, she maintained the status quo, and was quickly fired because....... ?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Imagine that the country is a person, who the rich and powerful slowly drain of blood like vampires, slowly enough that they can still live and somehow argue that actually it's just the way of things.

Liz Truss walked up to that person on day one and knifed them in the stomach, then said "there, lots of lovely blood for all my vampire buddies!" and gave everyone a big, vacuous grin like this was perfectly normal and fine, no notes needed.

Even the vampires have some basic sanity; slowly gouging the poor is evil but somewhat sustainable, Liz Truss just crippled the entire country immediately without understanding that there's supposed to be some sort of balance and kayfabe to all this. She's dangerously stupid to a speed and extent that has blindsided everyone.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

euphronius posted:

Flag Ship of the First Sea Lord baby!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this isn't blood it's HMS Victory Wine

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

webcams for christ posted:

this isn't blood it's HMS Victory Wine

now there's a thread title.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://order-order.com/2022/10/20/whos-backing-who-the-spreadsheet-returns/

boris is half way to being the first nominee for "new" PM already lmao

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mad Nad will be scunnered she's not supporter #1 for Boris on the spreadsheet

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hell yes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They should have never scrapped Warspite or Vanguard

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/

every cover not making fun of truss is talking about boris lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the return of the bojo

well, lmao

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/moththing97/status/1583170961683030016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

HRH ER II posted:

You think you have memories. Oxford. The Lib Dems. The Conservatives. A British Empire. And then this place. Was there really a party? Did that empire collapse, or, was it sabotaged? Forced down, forced down by something less than a woman, something bred to sleepwalk through life unless activated by a simple phrase, spoken by their kindly master. Come in.

Stop, would you kindly?

Sit, would you kindly? Energy Price Guarantee, would you kindly? Cut taxes! Stop! Turn. Was a woman sent to govern, or a slave?

KILL!

A man chooses!

A slave obeys!

OBEYYYY!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm lolling because your PM resigned and some political party is just going to decide who the next leader of your country is without any elections and they're going to be like more oppression more austerity more money for rich people more racism even though a clear majority of your citizens don't want any of that poo poo and you still somehow claim to be a democracy.

And any time any American points out any of the obvious glaring faults in your system you guys are always like BUH BUH WHAT ABOUT HOW YOUR COUNTRY SUCKS BUH

Dude my country can suck and I'm still allowed to point out how yours does, too. It's not a zero sum game

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Oct 21, 2022

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shocked Truss didn't call a snap election and then immediately resigned, TBH.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

she'd have to encourage and pass a vonc, right?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

i say swears online posted:

she'd have to encourage and pass a vonc, right?

Nope - they revoked the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 earlier this year.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Horseshoe theory posted:

Why? Just to screw over her party as much as possible on the way out? got em epic ownage

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nope - they revoked the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 earlier this year.

that doesn't map to what i'm asking though, i'm aware they repealed it. can the PM unilaterally call an election early? even if the majority of parliament affirms a PM? that's an insane samson-option rule that makes no sense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also charles III should reject the call for new elections if one is made

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

also charles III should reject the call for new elections if one is made

Charles III should declare Divine Rule and eat a live, organic, locally sourced baby on stage

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not sure yet how Meghan & Jezza are involved in all of this, but I'm working backwards on the assumption they are

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tote up a bags posted:

Not sure yet how Meghan & Jezza are involved in all of this, but I'm working backwards on the assumption they are

too competent a takedown, sorry

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1583209400671809537

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why? Just to screw over her party as much as possible on the way out? got em epic ownage

Why wouldn't she ratfuck them on the way out of the door in return for them ratfucking her out ASAP after ripping the mask off completely? :thunk:

that doesn't map to what i'm asking though, i'm aware they repealed it. can the PM unilaterally call an election early? even if the majority of parliament affirms a PM? that's an insane samson-option rule that makes no sense

The PM doesn't need any support to go to the monarch and request an election, as head of government they are perceived as reflecting the will of their majority/coalition. Technically, under the Lascelles Principles the monarch could deny it, but it's never been exercised so basically if Truss had called it, Charles III would pretty much be obligated to sign off and proclaim it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm lolling because your PM resigned and some political party is just going to decide who the next leader of your country is without any elections and they're going to be like more oppression more austerity more money for rich people more racism even though a clear majority of your citizens don't want any of that poo poo and you still somehow claim to be a democracy.

And any time any American points out any of the obvious glaring faults in your system you guys are always like BUH BUH WHAT ABOUT HOW YOUR COUNTRY SUCKS BUH

Dude my country can suck and I'm still allowed to point out how yours does, too. It's not a zero sim game

:ok:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

as head of government they are perceived as reflecting the will of their majority/coalition

this seems incredibly shortsighted

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Horseshoe theory posted:

Why wouldn't she ratfuck them on the way out of the door in return for them ratfucking her out ASAP after ripping the mask off completely? :thunk:

She doesn't understand she can do that. She doesn't understand anything. She is utterly incapable of independent thought or action.

She doesn't have a brain. She simply repeats the last input command until a new command is input.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

this seems incredibly shortsighted

Well, yes, that's parliamentary government in a nutshell, OP.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Well, yes, that's parliamentary government in a nutshell, OP.

so every parliamentary system has the samson option of a PM destroying their own majority in calling for unilateral elections while a willing majority exists? i don't think that's true

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think many adults want to destroy everything possible when they are slighted. Unless you expect Truss to switch to Labour or flee to Canada or some poo poo as the next step

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think many adults want to destroy everything possible when they are slighted. Unless you expect Truss to switch to Labour or flee to Canada or some poo poo.

even then it shouldn't be an option available without parliamentary support or denied

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think many adults want to destroy everything possible when they are slighted. Unless you expect Truss to switch to Labour or flee to Canada or some poo poo as the next step

Here's the fault in your thinking

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

so every parliamentary system has the samson option of a PM destroying their own majority in calling for unilateral elections while a willing majority exists? i don't think that's true

Theresa May did it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Theresa May did it

i think her own party was quite optimistic at the time, polls only dove once election media laws took effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That'd be the funniest result and the best way to ensure the Tories continue imploding so I'm all for it