Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jackhunter64 posted:

Unicorn beat them to it.

Was about to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You see the plastic bag of gas station snacks in anime all the time. That’s hardly as iconically American as a bunch of burgers and two big gulps.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SEASOLT

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I've wondered as someone who has seen no new Gundam

Are there any infamously silly names from Thunderbolt, IBO, Witch, etc.? I'll give 00 S2 one thing, it'll be hard to beat Bring Stabbity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chuatury "Chuchu" Panlunch

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got into IBO late so I was baffled by the fact that McGillis turned out to be the guy's first name and not his last name.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any infamously silly names from Thunderbolt, IBO, Witch, etc.? I'll give 00 S2 one thing, it'll be hard to beat Bring Stabbity.

Biscuit Griffin

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I mean Char's original wingmen in first Gundam were named Slender, Denim, Gene (Jeans)

Raira Mira Laila and Rakhan Dakaran are also standouts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Biscuit Griffin

And his kid sisters, Cookie and Cracker.

His whole family goes hard on the theme names.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

list of funny ibo names:

Eugene Seven Stark
Ride Mass
Chad Chadman
Hush Middy
Biscuit Griffon
Cookie Griffon
Cracker Griffon
Sakura Pretzel
Crank Zent
Julieta Julis
Lafter Frankland

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And his kid sisters, Cookie and Cracker.

His whole family goes hard on the theme names.

Even his older brother Savarin sticks to the theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

something about eugene being the only person in the entire post-disaster timeline with a middle name is incredibly funny to me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rose Pretzel and Crank

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how many people had to look up what a Savarin was

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph posted:

Chad Chadman

Correction it's Chad Chadan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

something about eugene being the only person in the entire post-disaster timeline with a middle name is incredibly funny to me

Kudelia Aina Bernstein.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

i do like the idea of needing a mid battle snack so you just grab a french fry that's floating in front of your vision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0XQDFcmdc

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One of the funniest parts of Unicorn is seeing Bright Noa clearly designed in the 70s next to all these modern character designs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the funniest parts of Unicorn is seeing Bright Noa clearly designed in the 70s next to all these modern character designs.

The funny thing is that the modern characters have the same designer as Bright.

Now, if you really want a contrast, pick up some of the Arc Performance Gundam manga. That gets crazy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

And yet, like The Origin, it just works. Bright and Mirai look exactly the same and don't feel out of place at all.

I'm expecting some nasty whiplash when Bright shows up in thr Hathaway films, however.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Even so

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like a bunch of characters look like they'd be right in place honestly.

There's some amazing 70's hair going around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofMm1yM5jQ

So this SD short came out around the same time as Gundam 0080 by the look of the UC designs. The RX-78 that shows up at the Jaburo section I don't think I've seen anywhere else. Did it ever get a gunpla release or just the Alex?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Supposedly these are just reimaginings of the 0079 designs that they later decided to retcon into new units

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

War and Pieces posted:

Supposedly these are just reimaginings of the 0079 designs that they later decided to retcon into new units

They are just that, but my main curiosity is if the 0080 redesign of the grandaddy gundam ever made other appearances. It looks really nice with that design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

They are just that, but my main curiosity is if the 0080 redesign of the grandaddy gundam ever made other appearances. It looks really nice with that design.

It showed up in an art book of in universe photos, I think. Good book. Has a badass Zakrello.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mobile Suit Breakdown is back from hiatus and has their first episode of the F91 series up for patrons, covering the first episode of 0083 because there was a preview version released as a promo tie-in for early F91 tickets

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I like that they've started doing a talkthrough for Witch from Mercury too. Otherwise Nina would be waiting like 15+ years to experience the first female Gundam anime protagonist :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azran posted:

I like that they've started doing a talkthrough for Witch from Mercury too. Otherwise Nina would be waiting like 15+ years to experience the first female Gundam anime protagonist :v:

Yeah, at the rate they're going, they won't get to Stargazer until...

Oh, right. Right.

Anyway, their F91 update had me finally going and watching Stardust Memories, just to have reference for what they're talking about.

First episode is a mixed bag. On the most negative side of things, it's an absolute blue-ball of an ending, cutting off right before the Gundam actually fights. I also was disappointed with the flow of the battles in the episode. There isn't a neat sense of give and take, or any cool moves to tell us Kou might still be a nobody, but he's got that something special to show he could one day be... Top Gun a Man of Destiny. Compared to Isamu Dyson, he doesn't have the Maverick spark.

That said, he and Keith were surprisingly alright. Yes, Keith makes an rear end of himself hitting on Nina, and he and Kou kind of screw up a lot, but Keith gets a fun bit with him collapsing due to doing 100 pushups for his mistakes, and Kou's mech geek status makes him fit right in with the original Gundam protagonists, including actually knowing what he's talking about. Nothing I've seen makes me expect he'll build on things to become a great protagonist, but he at least feels like he has potential at the jump. Add on really nice looking animation, and I can see why it has fans.

Oh, and yeah. This is absolutely terrible security. One guy with a gun could have stopped the whole series before it started, and there's much less excuse than the original and Zeta had for security being absent for a bit. The lines about the Federation being lax don't really cover it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/miitsutsu/status/1583652571830714368?s=20&t=FJOLNWUW1uDpXnxCH1mtYA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, at the rate they're going, they won't get to Stargazer until...

Oh, right. Right.

Anyway, their F91 update had me finally going and watching Stardust Memories, just to have reference for what they're talking about.

First episode is a mixed bag. On the most negative side of things, it's an absolute blue-ball of an ending, cutting off right before the Gundam actually fights. I also was disappointed with the flow of the battles in the episode. There isn't a neat sense of give and take, or any cool moves to tell us Kou might still be a nobody, but he's got that something special to show he could one day be... Top Gun a Man of Destiny. Compared to Isamu Dyson, he doesn't have the Maverick spark.

That said, he and Keith were surprisingly alright. Yes, Keith makes an rear end of himself hitting on Nina, and he and Kou kind of screw up a lot, but Keith gets a fun bit with him collapsing due to doing 100 pushups for his mistakes, and Kou's mech geek status makes him fit right in with the original Gundam protagonists, including actually knowing what he's talking about. Nothing I've seen makes me expect he'll build on things to become a great protagonist, but he at least feels like he has potential at the jump. Add on really nice looking animation, and I can see why it has fans.

Oh, and yeah. This is absolutely terrible security. One guy with a gun could have stopped the whole series before it started, and there's much less excuse than the original and Zeta had for security being absent for a bit. The lines about the Federation being lax don't really cover it.

To be fair, spoiler for 0083's plot, the entire point was to lose the nuke. The whole thing is the powers-that-be conveniently looking the other way to give casus belli to form the Titans and deal a devastating blow to the moderate faction in the Federation government. The problem of course being that Delaz immediately goes off script to do a colony drop after nuking the naval review.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

very good yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I always felt that the Titans power grab wasn't intended from the beginning but was something Jamitov and the other conspirators started working on after Delaz got the nuke. Delaz fully intended to use the nuke and go axe crazy on the earth and Cima was the Federation's mole in his fleet.

Then again I could be wrong because the last few episodes are such a confusing clusterfuck of at least four factions (three of whom are allied to at least one other part but not all parties) killing the poo poo out if each other while debris is falling down the gravity well. Trying to make sense of who knew what and when to start forming plans gives me a headache.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that is an extremely surreal face on Dianna

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

I always felt that the Titans power grab wasn't intended from the beginning but was something Jamitov and the other conspirators started working on after Delaz got the nuke. Delaz fully intended to use the nuke and go axe crazy on the earth and Cima was the Federation's mole in his fleet.

Then again I could be wrong because the last few episodes are such a confusing clusterfuck of at least four factions (three of whom are allied to at least one other part but not all parties) killing the poo poo out if each other while debris is falling down the gravity well. Trying to make sense of who knew what and when to start forming plans gives me a headache.

See if anything I consider the conspiracy even deeper, like that literally the only reason the GP02(possibly even the entirety of the GP project) was made was specifically so it would get stolen and be used to justify the power grab

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tsukame praido, tsukame success.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

that is an extremely surreal face on Dianna

I'd almost wonder if it's not meant to be Kihel rather than Dianna, given the sparkle in her eyes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't think there's really enough of a time span between "Gato steals nuke" and "Gato nukes the review" to create a completely new and opportunistic conspiracy among multiple parts of Federation high command. The Titans conspirators orchestrating the whole Gundamjack makes more sense and also fills in other gaps(like how a collection of remnants hiding out in a debris field in space managed to first find out about a top secret Gundam testing project and also precisely the timetable down to the hour when it was meant to be loaded with a live nuclear warhead which is normally kept in a vault).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

0083 Rebellion lays out things better but it's also completely deviates from the original OVA. It was basically an attempt by Jamitov and others to derail Kowen's work as well as remove an important member of the reformists. They didn't really plan out Zeon's side of things but they had their predictions and sent out feelers (spies, ex-zeon, etc). Once they get a better idea of what Zeon plans to do, they plan a response while withholding aid to the Albion and anyone else with Kowen's support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Is Gato supposed to be a New type? If so, that may explain Nina's "motivations" in act 3