Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Thanlis posted:

I have never believed the common wisdom that all the quality is from Rob and all the crap is from JoT. I love Rob’s design sense but he is a really gonzo designer and will tend to ratchet it up to 11 at every opportunity. Great for Feng Shui, less great for a d20 game that wants to appeal widely.

Feng Shui was Robin Laws, wasn't it? Rob Heinsoo was 4e D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

No, that’s John Wick.

There’s one where JoT likes it when barbarians are sometimes stuck with lower damage weapons, and there’s a general sidebar where someone makes a joke about how JoT sets up no-rally situations.

There’s also a bit about how JoT doesn’t use lasting damage rules and how he has a rule that says PCs don’t die to unnamed villains.

Most of the sidebars where they’re talking to each other are deliberately slightly argumentative. I’ve always assumed they were making the point that there’s no one true way to run a game.

This does echo the annoying evopsych “let me share my wisdom” tone JoT takes on his blog.

Edit: to save a reply… Feng Shui was Robin Laws, Jose Garcia, and Rob Heinsoo in some mixture. Heinsoo’s 4e work is also a pretty good example of how he’s willing to go over the top, though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The Monty Python themed RPG just appeared on Kickstarter. Designer doesn’t seem to have much of a pedigree and we don’t need an excuse for Python references in RPGs, but it has a very unusual feature: GM characters. Not GMPCs, but characters the GM is supposed to portray as GMing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ryuutama did it first

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I really do not understand the need for a Monty Python RPG like… at all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's a pretty confusing project. I assume this has to be some kind of personal passion project, because I'm not sure I'd pick Monty Python as a hot nerd cash-grab these days (although it seems to be doing that well enough), and something like "5E stats for Holy Grail" would have been the much easier sell if all they wanted was cash. This system looks byzantine enough that it's gotta be a labor of love.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Definitely gonna be hearing a lot about how most of them have chudded up a bunch in their twilight years now.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I half wonder if they’re ducking Holy Grail. Like, the BBC haven’t repeated the original sketch shows in years and they’re mostly forgettable (yes there were some classics, but that’s spaced across like 5-6 extended series) so maybe they licensed them cheap and figured that with Morte d’Arthur being fair game, they could cobble something together without actually licensing the much better known Holy Grail.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That's possible, although the photo they had of the Monster Manual had a spread for the Beast of Aaaargh, which is a direct HG reference. No idea what the legal situation is with the rights, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure which thread to ask this, I was debating the OSR thread, but is there like a TTRPG or card game that's centers around Conversions and Social situations? It would be neat if there's something that mechanically revolves around situations like maybe the players/characters are attending a masquerade ball and are trying to acquire information from the attendees; or there's been a murder and need to question suspects. Or maybe its a game about trying to be the most popular person in school and you're balancing making friends with avoiding making enemies with consequences and rewards for each, maybe your in a political game and you need to win debates and navigate through a speech to improve your popularity and so on?

It's okay if there's no single game that covers all of the above, multiple suggestions that cover different aspects of what I'm looking for is fine.

Update 1: I've found the following suggestions so far adjusting my search terms.

- Burning Wheel, looks promising.

- Hillfolk DramaSystem?

- I've seen Monsterhearts suggested.

- Blades in the Dark progress clocks, this seems interesting.

- Legend of the 5 Rings maybe? I get the sense this isn't as mechanistic as I am searching for.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
My off the cuff recommendation is to look first at Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands or any of the derivatives that sprung up in the last few years (including but not limited to For The Honour, Take My Revolution, et al.).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

is there like a TTRPG or card game that's centers around Conversions and Social situations?

Monsterhearts: Monster high schoolers doing high school stuff

The Quiet Year: psuedo-rpg about a community's final year

Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands: mech pilots befriend and seduce each other at social galas and then go out to the battlefield and murder each other's friends and family

Nice Marines: Ironic one-page RPG about Space Marines managing the diplomatic aftermath of their conquest. Notable mechanic: players automatically succeed at combat actions and just roll for collateral damage.

Edit: The King is Dead (Baker et al) maybe, I haven't read it.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 21, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure which thread to ask this, I was debating the OSR thread, but is there like a TTRPG or card game that's centers around Conversions

I know this was probably a mistake, but a game where the combat replacement is converting people to your cause/cult/whatever sounds pretty keen.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at them, and any others people rec me. :)

After thinking on it a little, and maybe this will help with narrowing down my search; what my ideal system in my head that I'd love is like suppose you're trying to bargain down the price of something, so you enter into a Conversation challenge; in this case the goal is to Bargain. So maybe the player then has to draw from a deck of cards with conversation options, or they have a selection of actions, doesn't matter. But only a limited number you can play, and what's available might change depending on circumstances.

This would provide a strategy element to the challenge, based on limited information (so the more you know about a NPC or another player character maybe this gives you extra actions/draws, or new options, etc) with some dice based adjudication where your odds are better the better actions/cards you picked. But the NPC or other player also plays cards, which might force the Player to make an inoptimal/inconvenient or counter productive move/card; or help the conversation along (i.e maybe they're naturally helpful but just need a little convincing).

An example could be something like the player does a move that's meant to improve the NPC's disposition, but the NPC plays a move that turns out to be something the Player's character finds "Insulting" which triggers a random "Complication" (Like forcing the player to punch the merchant) which might just completely derail the negotiations!

hyphz posted:

I know this was probably a mistake, but a game where the combat replacement is converting people to your cause/cult/whatever sounds pretty keen.

gently caress. I meant Conversations. Although converting someone to your cult by convincing them the Stars Are Right is definitely something I'd like a crunchy rules system for! That isn't just a straight up check or relies on mainly RP and DM/GM fiat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Diaspora has a social mini game. It relies heavily on maps and participants' positions on them, so it might be more prep-happy that you'd like. The example given is a group of PCs trying to resolve a labor dispute by negotiating, manipulating, and countering dirty tricks. Actually the dirty tricks may have been on both sides, I'm not sure.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Seconding the recommendation for The Burning Wheel. It is trivial to run a game like you describe, and have social situations be fraught, high-stakes affairs with delightfully resonating consequences. MFZ: Firebrands / The King is Dead are also extremely good at this, but they are both about telling one very specific short story that is over in an evening.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Diaspora has a social mini game. It relies heavily on maps and participants' positions on them, so it might be more prep-happy that you'd like. The example given is a group of PCs trying to resolve a labor dispute by negotiating, manipulating, and countering dirty tricks. Actually the dirty tricks may have been on both sides, I'm not sure.

Diaspora's social mechanics are a hidden gem, and highly recommended.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Burning Wheel and Diaspora have social minigames that are kind of interesting, but Dogs in the Vineyard is kind of the granddaddy of them all and makes it the entire game.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure which thread to ask this, I was debating the OSR thread, but is there like a TTRPG or card game that's centers around Conversions and Social situations? It would be neat if there's something that mechanically revolves around situations like maybe the players/characters are attending a masquerade ball and are trying to acquire information from the attendees; or there's been a murder and need to question suspects. Or maybe its a game about trying to be the most popular person in school and you're balancing making friends with avoiding making enemies with consequences and rewards for each, maybe your in a political game and you need to win debates and navigate through a speech to improve your popularity and so on?

It's okay if there's no single game that covers all of the above, multiple suggestions that cover different aspects of what I'm looking for is fine.

Update 1: I've found the following suggestions so far adjusting my search terms.

- Burning Wheel, looks promising.

- Hillfolk DramaSystem?

- I've seen Monsterhearts suggested.

- Blades in the Dark progress clocks, this seems interesting.

- Legend of the 5 Rings maybe? I get the sense this isn't as mechanistic as I am searching for.

Love Letter. Card game about royal intrigue. The high card usually wins, but each card has an on play ability or a passive effect. The highest card's passive is making whoever uses/discards it lose the round.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Iron Heart posted:

My off the cuff recommendation is to look first at Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands or any of the derivatives that sprung up in the last few years (including but not limited to For The Honour, Take My Revolution, et al.).

Goddamn I hope I can one day get my friends to play Take My Revolution with me this is incredibly my poo poo

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Hillfolk is a brilliant game but it isn't what you describe at all. It's rules-light in the sense that there aren't many rules to keep in mind, but the rules that do exist are very important to follow to the letter because the game absolutely needs them in order to work. The rules are there primarily to maintain the flow of the story, you don't pull them out each time a character tries to do something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks for the additional reccomendations! Adding to the list. :black101:

Whybird posted:

Hillfolk is a brilliant game but it isn't what you describe at all. It's rules-light in the sense that there aren't many rules to keep in mind, but the rules that do exist are very important to follow to the letter because the game absolutely needs them in order to work. The rules are there primarily to maintain the flow of the story, you don't pull them out each time a character tries to do something.

Excellent, thanks for the advice, this is also why I'm listing what I've found is for feedback on whether it sounds like what I'm looking for! It lets me better focus my reading up on the other suggestions. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You should 100% check out Fog of Love and Sidereal Confluence. They're basically on opposite ends of the mechanical heaviness spectrum but both are games strictly about peaceful talking. SC in particular is a big favorite of the board game players here, and both are critical darlings.

It should be noted Fog of Love is exclusively 2 Player but it's a very fun game to watch your friends play too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Countblanc posted:

It should be noted Fog of Love is exclusively 2 Player but it's a very fun game to watch your friends play too.

“When your friend is dating a trainwreck”, but add a glass of wine and now it’s dinner and a show.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

thotsky posted:

Burning Wheel and Diaspora have social minigames that are kind of interesting, but Dogs in the Vineyard is kind of the granddaddy of them all and makes it the entire game.

I love Dogs but the conflict resolution mechanics always want you to ask whether you're going to escalate this, words to fists to weapons to guns. In the context of the game, it's fine. Transplanted into other settings, it could be inane or worse.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got a suggestion for a game that isn't Dread that could tell a one-shot or two- or three-session slasher story?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a game that isn't Dread that could tell a one-shot or two- or three-session slasher story?

Slasher is a classic.

There’s a PbtA game I own that’s actually horror themed that’s pretty okay, but I’m blanking on the name. I can look it up if you want. It even came out recently.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Slasher Flick is a very solid horror movie simulator game, RPPR has done a bunch of one shots of it.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Final Girl is all about doing one-shot slasher games. It's also pay what you want these days.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Geiger Counter if you want to go GM-less. Gamma version to do Alien, beta version to generate a horror scenario at the start of the first session

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Blind Azathoth posted:

The Final Girl is all about doing one-shot slasher games. It's also pay what you want these days.

I'm a big fan of Final Girl.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

You should 100% check out Fog of Love and Sidereal Confluence. They're basically on opposite ends of the mechanical heaviness spectrum but both are games strictly about peaceful talking. SC in particular is a big favorite of the board game players here, and both are critical darlings.

In actual practice, how long does Sidereal Confluence take to play? BGG says 2-3 hours, is that more or less accurate?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

ninjoatse.cx posted:

In actual practice, how long does Sidereal Confluence take to play? BGG says 2-3 hours, is that more or less accurate?

My last game was seven players, three new. 3.5 hours including teach.

Edit: Also, greater minds on the subject in the board game thread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Teaching is definitely the biggest slowdown for SidCon games and it's hard to say just how much that adds since people vary wildly both in terms of skill at teaching, willingness to prep to teach, and willingness to be a good listener and not interrupt or be distracting (yes you're slowing things down by checking your phone even if you already know the rules!!! youre distracting the new people!!!!).

If you're playing a 4-5 person game and everyone is on their second+ playthrough two hours is very realistic, and I'd say 6+ players will similarly get to 2.5-3 hours with the same conditions.

also yeah you'll probably get more thoughtful answers in the board game thread since this thread tends to focus much more heavily on pure RPGs. As a last note though I'll say SidCon is an absolutely magical game and there's nothing else really like it. your group very much has to meet it on its terms but if you have a table of assertive, talkative players who don't shy away from mechanical density it's incredible. In summary,

https://twitter.com/countblanc/status/1583212289997426688

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 24, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I just learned that Erika Chappell is writing a space opera game, and I am posting in case there is anyone else who cares and missed that memo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CitizenKeen posted:

I just learned that Erika Chappell is writing a space opera game, and I am posting in case there is anyone else who cares and missed that memo.

It me, OP. I care and missed.

Thanks.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CitizenKeen posted:

Is this Torchship? I follow her on Twitter and have been getting hype with every post.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The initial version of the DIE RPG was released today. I had to hold back disappointment that it actually has scenarios that tell you to trigger certain events based on the amount of real time that has passed in the game.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm equal parts interested/excited for Torchship and tapping my foot impatiently for the tank supplement for Flying Circus to come out.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Mirage posted:

I'm equal parts interested/excited for Torchship and tapping my foot impatiently for the tank supplement for Flying Circus to come out.

im drawing it as fast as carpal tunnel will allow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

That Old Tree posted:

Is this Torchship? I follow her on Twitter and have been getting hype with every post.
same