Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
there's plenty to criticize about the SLS but scrubs are common for first launches of new boosters regardless if they were all new hardware or shuttle parts kitbashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pryor on Fire posted:

They made Kamala fly down to watch the launch lmao

lmfao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

They made Kamala fly down to watch the launch lmao

the failed mission has redeemed itself

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

And they are scrubbing the launch again because of a hydrogen leak, looks like they wheel the rocket back to the building now and have to try again in a few months.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1569341226838794240

:pwn:

They can't even get them into space anymore. Lmao

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
More like Poo Origin ahehaheh

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

why is NASA still using the space shuttle engine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

because you touch yourself at night

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Zerg Mans posted:

the other team had picked the junkyard clean and it's the only one they could find

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Zerg Mans posted:

congress

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I’m against it if only because there’s a certain kind of lib who gets really, really mad when you say you don’t care about space.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
liberals don't really care about space because they don't believe things can or should meaningfully change, at best they'll half-assedly say they support NASA funneling money to military contractors because they're scared of China's ascendancy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tighclops posted:

liberals don't really care about space because they don't believe things can or should meaningfully change, at best they'll half-assedly say they support NASA funneling money to military contractors because they're scared of China's ascendancy

The only reason we even have a space program is because the soviets did.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
we were taking about space in my public policy class today and i said "id like to meet an alien babe" and the girl next to me said "well its your lucky day" O_O

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The only reason we even have a space program is because the soviets did.

Yep. This time US leaders and legacy aerospace have dissapeared so far up their own rear end that they're ideologically incapable of responding to China's efforts, they're still grifting like it's 1989

In a decade and change China's private space companies will be at parity with the US's

poops will be pampy

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

e: nonsensical

platzapS has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Jun 6, 2023

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

dart mission gunna hit an asteroid today or look good missing it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

If big brain tech guys were to turn their attention towards climate change and fixing problems at home they'll probably end up doing geoengineering and spewing a ton of chemicals of unknown effects into the atmosphere, or building domed cities, techno-solutions like that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Maximo Roboto posted:

If big brain tech guys were to turn their attention towards climate change and fixing problems at home they'll probably end up doing geoengineering and spewing a ton of chemicals of unknown effects into the atmosphere, or building domed cities, techno-solutions like that.

yeah that's coming too

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would like a dome

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
artemis is taking too long to launch

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I don't think any of them are actually looking to build Buckminster Fuller domes yet, more's the pity. But maybe eventually.

You'd think some of these tech guys would be investing in carbon capture & storage schemes at least.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Maximo Roboto posted:

I don't think any of them are actually looking to build Buckminster Fuller domes yet, more's the pity. But maybe eventually.

You'd think some of these tech guys would be investing in carbon capture & storage schemes at least.

lol no. literally anyone posting here has more of an imagination than these stupid rich fucks.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
there's no way carbon capture / storage will ever be lucrative enough for the west to do it on any scale until it's much too late, at least until somebody invents free energy or they figure out we've been doing physics wrong all this time

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

CCS is funny to me because John Delaney was a proponent of it

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/23/2020-candidate-john-delaney-pitches-vastly-unusual-climate-change-plan

quote:

Carbon capture technologies are currently available, but not at the large scale and low cost that would be needed for Delaney’s plan. Demand for captured carbon is low, making it impossible for companies to justify the expense. Delaney would spur demand by having the government pay for captured carbon at auction with money currently used to subsidize the fossil fuels industry.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Maximo Roboto posted:

domed cities are good and efficient. we should be building them

Tighclops posted:

lol no. literally anyone posting here has more of an imagination than these stupid rich fucks.

they're not stupid they just don't care

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

we were taking about space in my public policy class today and i said "id like to meet an alien babe" and the girl next to me said "well its your lucky day" O_O

Tell me what's next alien sex

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
there is some proof of concept ccs machine in iceland or smthing i think it looked kinda cool but also i dont think it works any better than trees ... ?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

trees take a long time to grow. up to like 18 months in some cases. mycelium is the better natural carbon capture option

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

How about algae? I think that could work pretty well for carbon capture. I think you'd need to construct a vertical structure so that you could have layers of algae + water in a stack in transparent containers in order to make it really effective. Maybe at a big enough scale it could also serve as a water battery for a solar power plant too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

Honestly what is the difference

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

indigi posted:

no they're definitely very stupid

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
my brother in law is convinced humanity will construct an enormous ccs machine of some sort and honestly i wish i could join him in this belief.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i mean "we" definitely could if somehow the will existed, but i really don't know where the will for something like that would come from. as-is, humanity is more likely to construct an enormous taffy puller funded by vc money and powered by burning coal in open pits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

no they're definitely very stupid

nah

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I mean they're clearly stupid *and* they don't care

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

elon musk seems pretty smart, i think he invented an engine or something?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he's not intelligent, he's clever. you gotta be to steal as much high value poo poo as he has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just convince de beers they can turn the captured carbon into diamonds or some poo poo idk