Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Get one really nice fitted cap from a loved one and then keep tweaking it until it finally fits perfectly and the brim is just the way you like it and you wear it at Progressive Field as the Cubs win game 7 and it's absorbed the same rain that soaked the players on the field that day, blessing the cap to become a LUCKY cap and you wear it while buying a Megamillions ticket and you win the jackpot and run outside, whooping and hollering but the brim of your lucky cap prevents you from seeing the falling air conditioner unit that crushes you to death and then you're buried in your favorite lucky cap for all eternity

(mostly a true story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Get one really nice fitted cap from a loved one and then keep tweaking it until it finally fits perfectly and the brim is just the way you like it and you wear it at Progressive Field as the Cubs win game 7 and it's absorbed the same rain that soaked the players on the field that day, blessing the cap to become a LUCKY cap and you wear it while buying a Megamillions ticket and you win the jackpot and run outside, whooping and hollering but the brim of your lucky cap prevents you from seeing the falling air conditioner unit that crushes you to death and then you're buried in your favorite lucky cap for all eternity

(mostly a true story)

also bending the bill immediately and getting scandalized looks from people

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why would you get scandalized looks for wearing a hat correctly

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Re Ohtani trade, I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels tried to package him with Rendon for a reduced prospect package. Looking at you Yankees...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Re Ohtani trade, I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels tried to package him with Rendon for a reduced prospect package. Looking at you Yankees...

Doubt Hal takes on that kinda money unless Judge walks.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
They'd also have to play Stanton in RF the entire season with Ohtani at DH. Unless they send Stanton to Anaheim as part of the deal lol.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gorman Thomas posted:

What's the deal with Rendon, anyway? Death by injury?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Rendon completely cooked? I know it's been bad injuries and he's got an awful contract now, but wondering if he is at least a bounceback candidate.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Hand Knit posted:

What's the deal with Rendon, anyway? Death by injury?

he got a big contract (with the Angels)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He's going into his Age 33 season coming off back to back seasons ending in hip and then wrist surgery, so I wouldn't expect much

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
wow I forgot he signed with LA after 2019.

Which means 2020 was his last full season, when he played 52 games, six fewer than 2021.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

he's going into his age 33 season and will be making $36 million, then for the following four years $38 million

I don't know if basesball truly has any unmoveable contracts but that one has to be close. No way in hell anyone is taking it on for one year of Ohtani even if you don't have to include any prospects

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/rawlingssports/status/1583171197927243776

Let's go Happ

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nico not being a finalist at SS is some BS. Tied for second in OAA with Lindor and absolutely passed the eye test.

Also :lol: at Yelich being a finalist, he was an absolutely dogshit defender this year. Did they just pick names out of a hat?

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Jorge Mateo was seriously snubbed by not being an AL SS finalist. Also, Juan Soto is a RF finalist?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

he's going into his age 33 season and will be making $36 million, then for the following four years $38 million

I don't know if basesball truly has any unmoveable contracts but that one has to be close. No way in hell anyone is taking it on for one year of Ohtani even if you don't have to include any prospects

i think there's a real strong chance that any deal involving Rendon would have to include Ohtani and talent going back the other way just to eat the contract.

and somehow its still not as bad (yet) as if they had signed Strasburg instead like a lot of people wanted

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Nico not being a finalist at SS is some BS. Tied for second in OAA with Lindor and absolutely passed the eye test.

Also :lol: at Yelich being a finalist, he was an absolutely dogshit defender this year. Did they just pick names out of a hat?

Yelich can't throw the ball, what a bizarre pick.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah there's some "??" choices on those lists

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Soto a RF finalist but Machado not one for 3rd????

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pena is a good SS with the potential to be elite but uhhhhh he's deifnitely not a top 3 defensive SS yet unless the field is awafully thin

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tylertfb posted:

Soto a RF finalist but Machado not one for 3rd????

It's funny how much people are complaining that a superstar didn't get nominated over good young players in Pittsburgh and Colorado. For as bad as the nominators did with every other position, they nominated the three OAA leaders at third.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
No Ohtani but Mr. -8 OAA Luis Rengifo made the cut???? Fletcher was +8 in 61 games lol

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Pena is a good SS with the potential to be elite but uhhhhh he's deifnitely not a top 3 defensive SS yet unless the field is awafully thin

He's 6th on the bbref DWAR list and of the 5 above him, only Taylor Walls is in the AL and he played ~60 games at positions that are not shortstop

I'm not saying that measure should be the be-all end-all but it at least passes the smell test

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Huh, that's surprising. He makes some really great plays but also a ton of boneheaded ones

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

IIRC his range is the best in baseball and matches Correa in 2021. That makes up a ton over the "boneheaded" mistakes.

Edit: Best SS range.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nico got absolutely robbed. He was a stellar defender at SS this year.

Happ better win in left :argh:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Man, I always had so much respect for the opinions of sportswriters but this is really making me rethink my stance.

E: forgot this is voted on by coaching staffs. They are held in slightly less esteem.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
where money mike tho???

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I guess Schneider didn't manage himself out of a job against the Mariners.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1583448307031949313?s=20&t=Mm532LdtoVxm9YJs4BNGDw

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1583448307031949313?s=20&t=Mm532LdtoVxm9YJs4BNGDw

Makes sense to keep him. It will be interesting to see how the team performs under him when he gets a full spring training to prepare.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Fine with this, whoever was in charge of the hitting approach should be shitcanned though because it didn’t change all fuckin year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rangers hire Bruce Bochy as manager

Not as bad as TLR, but just stay retired my dude?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who was the last old manager that just retired and stayed away? Jim Leyland?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Popete posted:

I think this might depend on how you think of Cito Gaston.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

Leyland came back to coach in the WBC, but IDK if that really counts.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I demand to know if Peralta is any good at fielding. The non-OAA measurements haven't been kind to him in the past. He was usually anything between "not good" and "awful" in his career with 2021 as the exception on Fangraphs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Define old

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He seems fine from the eye test. He played the last leg of the season in the AL on the Rays though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I think this might depend on how you think of Cito Gaston.

Also Joe Torre

The answer is probably Bobby Cox but gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I guess it's more what recent manager retired for the most part on their own after a long career and didn't actually try to make a comeback. Leyland is the most recent I can think of.