Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Who's ready for Sunday, Sunday, Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Is it just me or is there much less hype around the new episode than for the previous specials? I had to double check tv listings yesterday to make sure it’s this weekend, because I’ve barely seen anything about it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Unkempt posted:

Are you in the US? If so I can send you some stuff

I think I have both of these, I've definitely got Remembrance.

Edit: actually, just had a look in the attic and I can't find either of them... I definitely had Remembrance at one point

I’m in the U.K. I’m afraid but thanks for the offer.

Based on the praise people have lauded on it in this thread I’ve had a look for copies of Remembrance of the Daleks. Original printings are relatively expensive but the 50th anniversary ones are quite cheap so I’ll look at grabbing one of those.

I’ve finished up The Dalek Invasion of Earth and I would have to sum it up as…ok? I mentioned before at how the book doesn’t seem to take advantage of the book medium over the TV serial and this largely holds true for the whole story. It’s a shame because when it does it does it quite well. There are some flashes of brilliance such as the haunting depiction of the roboman drowning himself at the start of the story, the process of robotisation, and the most obvious improvement is the depiction of the Slyther.

Unfortunately the story accelerates to a breakneck pace (to the point where the penultimate chapter is only 6 pages long) and goes very light on detail, and honestly just feels rushed. The Daleks has a much smaller font size and is adapted from a story one part longer than this one, is told from the perspective of only one character, but is about 40 pages longer. I’m aware story length isn’t everything, but given how hamstrung the TV serial was by technology and budget it feels like a hugely missed opportunity.

The Doctor’s famous “One day I shall come back” speech is completely different and frankly not nearly as good, so that just rubs salt in the wound.

So I’m now making a start on The Tenth Planet (which is such a great title) and I’m already miffed that the name of chapter 12 is “The destruction of Mondas!”. Sure I know the story but they should really assume a new reader has no idea what is about to happen.

It’s also got a little prologue that explains who the Cybermen are. It goes on to explain that they came about because men on Telos sought immortality and replaced parts as they aged. Eventually their flesh was replaced by plastic and steel, and their brains replaced by computers.

Which is odd because by this point I thought the Cybermen came about because the inhabitants of Mondas were desperately having to augment themselves to survive the increasingly inhospitable environment as Mondas drifted further away from the sun and through all sorts of hazardous phenomena, until eventually what was left wasn’t really human anymore. Which is a tragic and harrowing backstory and probably why Spare Parts is the best Cybermen story in the whole franchise.

I’m pretty certain they didn’t replace their brains with computers either, hell one of the Cybermen says to Polly at one point “Our brains are just like yours, but certain weaknesses have been removed.” Details folks!

In any case it doesn’t bode well but I will see if this carries over to the main story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Now fit Twice Upon a Time in there too!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Creature posted:

Is it just me or is there much less hype around the new episode than for the previous specials? I had to double check tv listings yesterday to make sure it’s this weekend, because I’ve barely seen anything about it.

Think everyone's distracted with the country collapsing atm

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

It's 90 minutes long right? God help us given how quickly Legend of the Sea Devils wore out its welcome.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Creature posted:

Virtually no hype, I only knew its going to be on due to this thread.
None of the sci-fi sites I read have anything about it, no puff pieces or such to remind you its still there.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
To be honest I think everyone’s given up on Doctor Who. With the exception of Flux, it’s been occasional specials here and there for the last 2 and a half years, and coupled with Chibnall’s refusal to publicize anything, there’s nothing to get people excited.
Covid has understandably played a part in the lack of material (we were lucky we got Revolution of the Daleks since it was filmed pre-Covid), but nothing was done to try and regain what was lost.
Compare it to the Star Trek series, where they continue to pump out promotional material. What did we get for Flux? Shutting down all the Doctor Who social media. Geniuses.
It annoys me as I love Jodie as the Doctor, and she’s deserved so much better than becoming the Colin Baker of the New Series.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Creature posted:

Chibnall really loving sucked and I'd rather think about his era in the past tense and fantasize about Whittaker doing a multi-Doctor story with Davies, his eventual successor, or a guest writer than bask in the reality that there's more j/o poo poo to come

The daleks, master, time lords, and cybermen?? We used to have a phrase for this sort of mindset. It was "take a chill pill"!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Barry Foster posted:

country collapsing atm

Speaking of this

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

and this, doesn't the novelisation reveal that the man who Susan left the TARDIS for was David Cameron

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Forktoss posted:

Speaking of this

and this, doesn't the novelisation reveal that the man who Susan left the TARDIS for was David Cameron

I think that’s in the introduction to one of the very early novelisations - Doctor Who and the Crusaders?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

happyhippy posted:

Virtually no hype, I only knew its going to be on due to this thread.
None of the sci-fi sites I read have anything about it, no puff pieces or such to remind you its still there.

I knew it was on in October, was wondering when we'd get an airdate, had no idea (or just forgot) it was actually THIS weekend! :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
when/where is it airing in the US?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

when/where is it airing in the US?

Sunday at 8pm on BBC America.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Obviously just an anecdote, but my larger friend circle have dropped off pretty hard during Jodie's run. It's not like they're a bunch of regressive losers, the writing just hasn't given her much to work with at all. 13 feels like one of the blandest interpretations of the Doctor I've seen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Best mate who is a massive Doctor Who fan has just totally given up on it, for no other reason than the episodes are just back to back garbage.
Even though it's her final ep coming up he says he's only going to watch the regeneration scene

I just feel bad for Whittaker, she deserved better than Chibnall. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We all did, but her most of all :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve never even bothered watching Flux or the special that came before it (I think?). It really sucks, because Who has been pretty much a constant source of entertainment in one form or another since I first started watching in 2006, but I just can’t be bothered to drum up the attention and enthusiasm for it now.

I like Jodie a lot and there’s occasionally been an interesting premise or idea from this era, but there’s just something so… bland about Chibnall’s entire run.

I’m really hoping Jodie gets a Big Finish run or regular multi-Doc stories or something to finally show off her Doctor. It’s a genuine shame Chibnall wasted her on such boring plots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Whittaker needed a much stronger writer and showrunner overall. I get the impression she was absolutely doing it as a favour to Chibnall after Broadchurch.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Whittaker needed a much stronger writer and showrunner overall. I get the impression she was absolutely doing it as a favour to Chibnall after Broadchurch.

This might be hitting the nail on the head. I think he thought she would be a great Doctor because of his experience working with her. I think she wasn't a fan and was never really into it or saw herself as taking on that sort of lifetime role. She did it because she liked working with him, he really wanted her, and they did good work on Broadchurch. But she probably indicated to him right off she wasn't too keen, and he should have taken the hint and moved on. I know she would have been served better with a different showrunner, but perhaps he would have been served better with a different Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like it's more that she really feels grateful to him and thankful for all he's done for her - for all his faults as a writer of Who, he's been nothing but a boon for her career from Broadchurch through to casting her as an absolutely iconic television character.

Based on the strength of the cast and crew he manages to put together, he seems to be the kind of guy people really like and enjoy working with. It's just that... well, unfortunately his writing just isn't all that good. In spite of that, RTD and Moffat both continually gave him episodes to write, they obviously saw something in him, and Broadchurch showed he DOES have talent, just sadly not particularly for Who.

By contrast, Moffat had some great stories and the show was more popular than it had ever been, but there were regular stories of him having conflicts/controversies, none of which seems to have been present in Chibnall's run on the show.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Best mate who is a massive Doctor Who fan has just totally given up on it, for no other reason than the episodes are just back to back garbage.
Even though it's her final ep coming up he says he's only going to watch the regeneration scene

I just feel bad for Whittaker, she deserved better than Chibnall. :smith:

I'll watch it, if only for Ace and Tegan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't watched anything after Revolution of the Daleks. A non-trivial part of that is that they aren't reliably on streaming here but the truth is that if I'd been enjoying the show before that I would have kept up with the episodes when they aired or were actually available.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't watched anything after Revolution of the Daleks. A non-trivial part of that is that they aren't reliably on streaming here but the truth is that if I'd been enjoying the show before that I would have kept up with the episodes when they aired or were actually available.

iView definitely has all the Whittaker you've not seen, plus pretty much every paid streaming service that's not called Netflix has the entire modern Who catalogue.

I'm pretty sure you're Australian, going off your avatar.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For Aussies:
Stan has everything up to the end of Season 12
ABC iView has Flux + 2022 specials

Alternatively I have heard newsgroups are very good for :filez:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Open Source Idiom posted:

iView definitely has all the Whittaker you've not seen, plus pretty much every paid streaming service that's not called Netflix has the entire modern Who catalogue.

I'm pretty sure you're Australian, going off your avatar.
Oh poo poo they put them all up about a week ago. I swear they haven't been there for months.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pip and Jane Baker kept getting work too, and wasn't that mostly because they reliably got scripts in before the deadline

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Dabir posted:

Pip and Jane Baker kept getting work too, and wasn't that mostly because they reliably got scripts in before the deadline

So you can easily see how great they would have been as showrunners/script editors!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Although I guess talking about the show had an effect, since I dreamed that the regeneration scene was Mandip Gill appearing in a 70s-style Who scene with modern production standards as a villain about to pull off some internal political coup, having the TARDIS materialize around her and find herself in the middle of Yaz freaking out over the Doctor being in the middle of regenerating.

Kinda wanna go back to sleep and see how that ended up!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've been keeping up with the show fine but yeah definitely no enthusiasm, cause while I've seen way worse episodes from earlier in the reboot, Chibnall's tenure has just been a mediocre sludge with nothing interesting happening.

I want my Doctor to have a bit of fire behind them, all shouty and runny that doesn't know how they're gonna win but they'll keep trying until they do. Chibnall seems very uninterested in giving Jodie scenes like that, so she just kinda stands around letting the bad guy win until she decides the episode is nearly over, guess I'll beat you now.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I think a lot of the problems with Chibnals run is structural. The Doctor is this unknowable genius alien space wizard, so the show makes each season the more relatable companions story. The Doctor isn't the protagonist, they are the inciting incident. Chibnall went with 2-3 companions for the whole show, which meant the companions were never really all that fleshed out.

It took a whole season for Micky and Rory to stop being one note side characters, because time was needed for Rose and Amy to be established and become our view into the world. And even once they were in the Tardis, they were still very much sidekicks. Chibnall's Who is setup as more of an ensemble show, but it wasn't really. If you look at, I dunno, Star Trek TNG, there was very clear 'This is a Worf episode'. You could have done that, and the times it did get there like the episode about Yaz's Grandmother in partition-era Pakistan were the strongest ones, but most of it was trying to cram in all the characters into all the episodes all of the time, so the characters all ended up fairly one note and boring.

There's also weird tonal whiplash and episodes like the Amazon-is-Good one that are bollocks (remember when an episode started with Tomsin Cole giving an amazing monologue to camera about his deadbeat absent Delboy Dad and it ends with his Dad saving the day and being the hero with his dumb schemes? Eh?) but that's far from exclusive to Chibnall.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1583850673904357376

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A trailer where they tap into everything that’s gone before always gets me. :unsmith:

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Going to watch the special to firstly to see Ace smack a Dalek in the face with her signature baseball bat and secondly the regeneration scene. Hopefully Dan has some good moments too. Best I can wish for!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My hopes are for more than they're gonna' give us, so I'm trying as hard as I can to lower them.

I quite loved all of Moffat's run and couldn't understand so many folks' problems with it, but I guess I've finally lived through my first disappointing Doctor and Showrunner.

Shame that it was Jodie's tenure given I came out and decided to transition in part because of 12 transitioning to 13. None of this was her fault and it would've been so much worse without her.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O_W-hGWtA

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

Coward posted:

So you can easily see how great they would have been as showrunners/script editors!

RTD: "Yes!" *laughs nervously*

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I had to triple-check to see what time it airs in the UK relative to my time zone, because Daylight Saving Time is coming around again and that's one time-related thing the Doctor has no control over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DST is probably the unintentional result of one of the Doctor's adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rhyno posted:

DST is probably the unintentional result of one of the Doctor's adventures.

It sure as hell isn't related to loving logic.