Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jedit posted:

When you finally get Agatha, be aware that she isn't totally random: she will always play herself if possible. And once she's out of your hand, you regain control of the game. There are Agatha decks that use Lady Sif to discard her and Ghost Rider to bring her back, Wave to make her cost 4 so she gets played earlier, and so on. However, the location Ego that does the same thing is totally random and will override Agatha.

Also if you start with Agatha in your deck she always takes the boosters.

I figured she would play herself, how could she not? She's also extremely strong so an Agatha deck could definitely work and your examples are great.

That she takes the booster for herself is hilarious, great design. What happens if she has enough boosters to get to the final rarity? (I don't even know how many there are) does she keep earning them so you can never upgrade cards using her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I figured she would play herself, how could she not? She's also extremely strong so an Agatha deck could definitely work and your examples are great.

That she takes the booster for herself is hilarious, great design. What happens if she has enough boosters to get to the final rarity? (I don't even know how many there are) does she keep earning them so you can never upgrade cards using her?

I don't think there is a "final rarity" exactly. Maxing a card out "splits" it and gives you a new common copy with a permanent special visual effect that gets layered over everything else

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

goferchan posted:

I don't think there is a "final rarity" exactly. Maxing a card out "splits" it and gives you a new common copy with a permanent special visual effect that gets layered over everything else

Is there a set method to how things upgrade? I just did my first double Infinite card, Bishop. I got Rainbow Hexes the first time, and my second was Rainbow Hexes (with orbiting pink lasers). My assumption is that I'm going to get Rainbow Gradient next, and then Gradient with Lasers, and then push into Gold/Ink?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

do you eventually unlock the ability to challenge specific players?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Fate Accomplice posted:

do you eventually unlock the ability to challenge specific players?

That's not implemented yet. They released a roadmap about a month ago that has social stuff in the planning phases

https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-development-roadmap/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is every season pass only going to be 3 weeks long? They more than earned $10 so I was fine with throwing in for the first one, but I'm not paying $170 every year.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jedit posted:

Also if you start with Agatha in your deck she always takes the boosters.

agatha owns

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Go RV! posted:

https://marvelsnapzone.com/symbiote-invasion-event/

Apparently there's an event hidden in the News feed. Do some event stuff, get an avatar

e: team carnage

Is this an Iphone only thing? I am not seeing this on Android or PC.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Go RV! posted:

That's not implemented yet. They released a roadmap about a month ago that has social stuff in the planning phases

https://marvelsnapzone.com/marvel-snap-development-roadmap/

Lol.

CapnAndy posted:

Is every season pass only going to be 3 weeks long? They more than earned $10 so I was fine with throwing in for the first one, but I'm not paying $170 every year.

Of course you are and how dare you suggest anybody playing cell phone games is capable of math.

I considered making a thread in the video games main forum but...

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Fenris13 posted:

Is this an Iphone only thing? I am not seeing this on Android or PC.

It's there for me on Android.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

It should be 12 seasons per year. This one is actually 5 weeks long, but started before release while the game was still in beta.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It will be very interesting to see how metas evolve with this game. They clearly can't release cards at the cadence of other games, so I wonder how much meta shake-up will be new locations versus buffs and nerfs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Duck and Cover posted:

Of course you are and how dare you suggest anybody playing cell phone games is capable of math.
Is that also why they think individual card skins are worth $9-$15 each?

Like, are some of those pixel variants cute? Sure are. But they ain't $9 worth of cute.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Is that also why they think individual card skins are worth $9-$15 each?

Like, are some of those pixel variants cute? Sure are. But they ain't $9 worth of cute.

They aren't $9-$15 they're 700-1200 gold. Duh. Also yeah OMG that character is my favorite and I have to have it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 22, 2022

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Pretty good luck with the first 2 areas, can't complain about a 0 cost 5 power iron man

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Go RV! posted:

Is there a set method to how things upgrade? I just did my first double Infinite card, Bishop. I got Rainbow Hexes the first time, and my second was Rainbow Hexes (with orbiting pink lasers). My assumption is that I'm going to get Rainbow Gradient next, and then Gradient with Lasers, and then push into Gold/Ink?

It's semi-random. Your first split will always be a simple backdrop change - Prism, Foil or Rainbow - but from the third split on you can also get Inkify, and from the fifth you can get Gold. Additionally each split after the first can have one of three different effects attached: Flares (the orbiting lasers), Pulses or Kirby Krackle. You can't get the same combination of backdrop and effect twice, so right now there is a theoretical maximum of 15 splits. However, that's per card version so if you get a variant Colossus you can split that 15 times as well.

The only hinky thing is that while your first split on any given card will be a backdrop change only, this appears to be shared with variants. I split base America Chavez and Mojo once each and got backdrop only, but I've split their variants multiple times and they all have backdrop and effect. And I only ever split variant Okoye and Iron Man and their first splits were backdrop only.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Can anyone clarify what happens when one area ends in a tie? I thought the game looked at the winning power level of the other two areas and the highest was the winner, but I have lost two matches now where I had more power in my winning area than my opponent, and am starting to question my understanding of the tiebreaker system. Also, what is used for matchmaking, is it your rank or collection rank?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fenris13 posted:

Can anyone clarify what happens when one area ends in a tie? I thought the game looked at the winning power level of the other two areas and the highest was the winner, but I have lost two matches now where I had more power in my winning area than my opponent, and am starting to question my understanding of the tiebreaker system. Also, what is used for matchmaking, is it your rank or collection rank?

As for the former, it’s total. So less about total power and more about net difference.

If you have 10|12|1 and they have 10|11|5, you lose. 12 is more than 5, but you only won by one, they won by four.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That worked out okay.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
zzzzzzzzzzzuh-zuh-ZUH-ZUHZUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH-------

~*FRAME*BREAK*~

... unggggf

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Regarding collection level, should I be rotating things out of my deck to put commons in to upgrade them to uncommon and just deal with a deck that isn’t too great or should I just be building up a working deck and upgrading as they come? Am I putting too much thought into this?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Regarding collection level, should I be rotating things out of my deck to put commons in to upgrade them to uncommon and just deal with a deck that isn’t too great or should I just be building up a working deck and upgrading as they come? Am I putting too much thought into this?

I think changing a deck your having fun with just because you want to maximize your efficiency in acquiring digital cards is bad.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

After only a few days of playing, my experience is that credits are the limit in upgrading, not boosters, so I would not build a deck around sub optimal cards just to get certain boosters. I have currently less than 200 credits right now, but I have over a hundred boosters on several different cards.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Goofy font aside,

This card is the best.

If you want to be a big brain genius, put VATU UATU UATV in your deck.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Fenris13 posted:

After only a few days of playing, my experience is that credits are the limit in upgrading, not boosters, so I would not build a deck around sub optimal cards just to get certain boosters. I have currently less than 200 credits right now, but I have over a hundred boosters on several different cards.

Because Credits are the limiting factor, it can make sense to try and force upgrades to your Common cards, because those upgrades are half Credit price compared to all other upgrades.

I created a “Jean Grey” deck with exclusively all the Common cards I owned, then just sacrificed a little bit of rank to essentially ensure an upgrade every match, replacing the new Uncommon with another Common each time. Even still won a couple matches too!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fenris13 posted:

What Keen said about breaking ties is not 100% accurate. If one location is tied, the highest winning differential of the other two determines the winner - not the highest total power. Normally this will be the same person, but the Bar With No Name is won by having less power. So if A is tied 10/10, you win B 12/11 and I win the Bar -2/0, I win the match despite having 19 total power to your 22.

Matchmaking is based chiefly on CL banded by pool, so don't go above 450 until you're comfortably high ranked or you'll start facing Infinite players with full Pool 3 collections and the omniscient cheating bots. (It should be 474, but they moved Killmonger and Sandman from Pool 3 to Pool 2 and never to my knowledge adjusted the threshold.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Regarding the cards you never draw earlier than some turn (most obviously America, but I've seen a few Domino around too), where are they supposed to be within your deck? I've had America be destroyed by cards that destroy the top card of my deck sometimes so I wonder how that works

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Regarding the cards you never draw earlier than some turn (most obviously America, but I've seen a few Domino around too), where are they supposed to be within your deck? I've had America be destroyed by cards that destroy the top card of my deck sometimes so I wonder how that works

They're placed normally in your deck, but if an effect would cause you to draw them before the appropriate turn you instead draw the card below. I also think that the card won't be drawn before turn 6 even if you have no other cards in your deck, but that's hard to engineer.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

So if I want to grind up some rank is it optimal to hang out for a while in pool 1 when I've got all the cards? Do I stop leveling the collection at 213 or 214?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

So if I want to grind up some rank is it optimal to hang out for a while in pool 1 when I've got all the cards? Do I stop leveling the collection at 213 or 214?

It's optimal to win your games by being better/luckier than your opponent.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Serperoth posted:

To use American Chavez as an example, she’s shuffled into your deck same as every card, but cannot be naturally drawn before turn six. What this looks like mechanically is that say on turn two Chavez is on top and would be drawn, the game instead draws the card beneath her and she stays on top, staying on top until either turn six when her card text allows her to be drawn naturally, or when another effect in game pulls her. You can go an entire game with Chavez being the top card on your deck until turn six, just drawing the card under her each turn.

Because of how this works your Chavez will get eaten more consistently by effects like Yondu destroying your top card.

edited because jubilee changed

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 22, 2022

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Because of how this works Chavez can pair well with Jubilee since by the time you can play Jubilee there’s a high chance Chavez is floating as the top card on your deck, giving you a pretty consistent Jubilee -> Chavez combo.

This used to be true, but Jubilee was changed to play a random card from your deck rather than the top card.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does this also mean that someone can’t Cable your America Chavez, but can Yondu it?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nate405 posted:

This used to be true, but Jubilee was changed to play a random card from your deck rather than the top card.

oh rip

i loved jubilee, first card i prestiged in beta

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Game's fun so far. I like how zippy it is, though I'm slow playing because I have no idea what to do :D

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

Does this also mean that someone can’t Cable your America Chavez, but can Yondu it?

No. Amy Chav is more likely to get Yondu-d because she'll be the top card of your deck for up to 5 turns and has a 1 in 3 chance to be there from turn 1, but it's still as possible as for anything else for her to be on the bottom.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

The way I understood it, they can, but it's less likely. Only 1/12 chance of her being the bottom card, but it adds up if she just needs to be among the top 3 (for example)

That was a very helpful explanation there, it's not how I'd have guessed it myself but it make sense now that I've read it like that

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I was under the impression that I didn't really like deck building in card games.

Turns out I actually do, when the deck size is as small as it is in Snap. Think I'm gonna seek out other TCG's with smaller deck sizes as well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

It's optimal to win your games by being better/luckier than your opponent.

Yeah I'm not gonna do it, already leveled past, I'm just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

I was under the impression that I didn't really like deck building in card games.

Turns out I actually do, when the deck size is as small as it is in Snap. Think I'm gonna seek out other TCG's with smaller deck sizes as well.

The size is pretty much the same as Hearthstone you just have one copy of everything instead of two for almost everything.