Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The tl;dr is:

- Price gouging is likely part of it. Nobody can mathematically calculate exactly what percentage of inflation is caused by price gouging, but price gouging isn't likely the primary cause.

- If Cup A and Cup B both have 50 gallons of water, then you have 100 gallons of water total. If you remove 20 gallons from Cup A and add 10 gallons to Cup B, then you only have 90 gallons of water total. That means you have less total water, even though Cup B increased its water by 20%.

Cup A is privately-held corporations, S-Corps, owner-operated businesses, small businesses, employee productivity and wages, international trade, discretionary spending, and "small businesses."

Cup B is publicly-held corporations.

The water is GDP.
I think I understand, or can understand now. Thank you!

But yeah, I'm going to bet I'm not the only one that is confused about this. The left lost the messaging on the inflation, unfortunately. We were doing so well with worker's rights and increasing wages. We should've made fun graphics about which companies are increasing their prices for corporate profit, maybe spread some sort of r/anticonsume meme.

I hope that the general public doesn't walk away from 2022 thinking that "Well, this is what happens when you increase wages and give hand outs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Automata 10 Pack posted:

]So the elite class can make profit, but keep the money and not grow, thus aiding to a contraction?

Or direct the profit in an aggregate sense that is less productive, both immediately and year-over-year, than the base value-adding class would with their wages.

Expanding the carcerial state, wine women & song, culture war bullshit... there are a lot of things that do not add value to the many that are preferred expenses by the class of the few.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tiny Timbs posted:

The comeback of stack ranking is amazing. It's an epically tried-and-failed approach but it just appeals so well to powerful narcissists that they can't resist.

It's amazing how loving techbros can never, never resist doing the same poo poo that's been proven to fail because they're too good to listen to anyone who isn't just like them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Stack ranking is very effective…its goals just aren’t performance improvement. Rapidly reducing headcount or laying the groundwork for a firesale or carveup by reducing value is an example of things it’s good for.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Solkanar512 posted:

It's amazing how loving techbros can never, never resist doing the same poo poo that's been proven to fail because they're too good to listen to anyone who isn't just like them.

When you believe that you have earned everything in your lap because you are a superman, you believe in these kinds of creepy supposedly darwinist raffles.

Because to not believe in them is to openly admit that perhaps luck really did have some say in your own rise to power.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

When you believe that you have earned everything in your lap because you are a superman, you believe in these kinds of creepy supposedly darwinist raffles.

Because to not believe in them is to openly admit that perhaps luck really did have some say in your own rise to power.

Or openly admit that if not for your rich parents, you'd never have stood a chance.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Clarence Thomas is going to oversee this apparently. Graham REALLY doesn’t want to testify

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1583571358638051328?s=46&t=A4SJy-VD2I5_dArnifypmQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the GOP apparently found a court that was willing to block the student debt cancellation

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1583587524504879104?s=20&t=LDrZ5tgE2GydJWbB7D35VA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the GOP apparently found a court that was willing to block the student debt cancellation

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1583587524504879104?s=20&t=LDrZ5tgE2GydJWbB7D35VA

It's not actually blocking it, but it is blocking it until the appeals court makes a ruling on whether to issue an injunction next week.

It's not really indicative one way or the other of how they eventually rule, but it is very strange to issue an administrative stay when the court of original jurisdiction dismissed the case for lack of standing.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

These 20 people were directly told BY THE STATE that they could vote, so they did. It later turned out that they actually could not, but it’s not like that would stop DeSantis from this dumb self-own

Not a self own. This is good propaganda.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The courts doing whatever the gently caress they feel like appears to be a preview of the next decade.

Can you just ask whatever circuit you want to judge a case? How the hell does an unrelated court grant a stay on a case that was dismissed?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah what matters is he arrested some people for voter fraud. People need to stop thinking facts or outcomes matter in those type of stunts.

All his voters will see is that he's protecting them from the Very Real Fraud and there you go, some people doing the fraud he was talking about.

To this day there's people absolutely convinced about an entirely sequence of events that happened to the people he shipped to Martha's Vineyard. The facts and reality don't matter at all.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Also, y’know, now black people in Florida know that voting can be dangerous.

It’s going to be very bleak if he becomes president.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mendrian posted:

The courts doing whatever the gently caress they feel like appears to be a preview of the next decade.

Can you just ask whatever circuit you want to judge a case? How the hell does an unrelated court grant a stay on a case that was dismissed?

It's an appeals court. The 6 Republican state AGs suing on behalf of MOHELA appealed after their case was dismissed.

It's the 8th circuit because they sued in Missouri. The 8th circuit covers the appeals from federal courts in the upper Midwest and plains states.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

Without a judges signature, can Biden ignore the order and claim it's a clerk prank or such

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Without a judges signature, can Biden ignore the order and claim it's a clerk prank or such

No. Why would you think that is a thing.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

No. Why would you think that is a thing.

He's the President of the United States :eng101:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1583487828880596992

I wonder what the possible reasoning for this could be, besides Democrat-brain. it's obviously not responsible (an insane thing to say), and it consistently has let Republicans get concessions by playing chicken with the US's financial credibility.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1583487828880596992

I wonder what the possible reasoning for this could be, besides Democrat-brain. it's obviously not responsible (an insane thing to say), and it consistently has let Republicans get concessions by playing chicken with the US's financial credibility.

Because more than anything, Biden wants the Republicans to think he's cool and invite him to their ice cream parties.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it’s because voters don’t like the idea of repealing the debt ceiling and there’s an election in two weeks

I feel like that shouldn’t really need to be explained that two weeks before an election is not the time to take unpopular positions even if they are right given that the lame duck period is right there

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

evilweasel posted:

it’s because voters don’t like the idea of repealing the debt ceiling and there’s an election in two weeks

I feel like that shouldn’t really need to be explained that two weeks before an election is not the time to take unpopular positions even if they are right given that the lame duck period is right there
I highly, highly doubt any action will be taken during the lame duck period, for the same reason nothing was done until now. I've heard that kind of reasoning many times.

Not doing wise things because the Republicans might get mad is not a winning strategy. Besides, how much worse would it look in the long run to immediately flip-flop on it being "irresponsible?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cat botherer posted:

I highly, highly doubt any action will be taken during the lame duck period, for the same reason nothing was done until now. I've heard that kind of reasoning many times.

Not doing wise things because the Republicans might get mad is not a winning strategy.

you can make whatever predictions you want and then assert the people in your head are doing stupid things for stupid reasons all you want, i won’t stop you

when it comes to why Biden is saying things that are popular instead of things that are not popular two weeks before an election, it is because saying things that make voters mad is a very stupid strategy two weeks before an election

cat botherer posted:

Besides, how much worse would it look in the long run to immediately flip-flop on it being "irresponsible?"

who cares, compared to winning an extra senate seat or two or a few house seats

plus as a practical matter you cannot repeal the debt limit during the lame duck but you can raise it (with reconciliation), giving an ideal easy out from that minor flip-flop that takes place as far from an election as possible

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

incidentally the correct debt ceiling thing to do is to raise it to one sextillion because that sounds funny and so when republicans try to use it in ads viewers will assume it’s a joke, and it works under reconciliation

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Please cite a source to support this claim, bc all the voters I know of don’t care about the debt ceiling or don’t know what it is :thanks:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I would also like to see the numbers showing that the debt ceiling is a thing that many voters care about, let alone know it exists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

There were a bunch of different, separate lawsuits filed against the student debt thing, all filed by different plaintiffs in separate jurisdictions and going in front of different courts.

This case was filed by state AGs in Missouri. The one that the Supreme Court refused to hear was filed by a conservative anti-tax group in Wisconsin. There's several more cases that have yet to reach a ruling, too.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I would also like to see the numbers showing that the debt ceiling is a thing that many voters care about, let alone know it exists.

The question isn't whether they currently have any opinion on the debt ceiling. The question is what their immediate gut response will be when they encounter the phrase "debt ceiling" for the first time in a poll or campaign ad a week before the election.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you get used to people saying Biden can't close the concentration camps because it might antagonize republicans to do so, but hearing that even procedural tricks to guarantee the continued operation of government are off the table, for fear of what Republicans might say?

amazing

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The question isn't whether they currently have any opinion on the debt ceiling. The question is what their immediate gut response will be when they encounter the phrase "debt ceiling" for the first time in a poll or campaign ad a week before the election.

That is absolutely not what evilweasel said, which is:

evilweasel posted:

Which implies that voters 1) know what the debt ceiling is, and 2) don't want it removed. I want to see evidence of both those claims.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

That is absolutely not what evilweasel said, which is:

Which implies that voters 1) know what the debt ceiling is, and 2) don't want it removed. I want to see evidence of both those claims.

No, it implies that when you tell or ask voters about removing the debt ceiling, they don't like it. Whether they knew about the debt ceiling before you asked that question doesn't actually matter.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

No, it implies that when you tell or ask voters about removing the debt ceiling, they don't like it. Whether they knew about the debt ceiling before you asked that question doesn't actually matter.
Not to put works in Judgy Fucker's mouth, but I think the main point is that they want evidence (like polls) of this claim, and aren't primarily interested in semantic debates. This is D&D after all.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

cat botherer posted:

Not to put works in Judgy Fucker's mouth, but I think the main point is that they want evidence (like polls) of this claim, and aren't primarily interested in semantic debates. This is D&D after all.

Here’s an article citing various views/polls: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bowmanmarsico/2021/09/16/polling-the-debt-limit/?sh=264688e5a1d1. Granted, the polls regarding debt ceiling specifically are a decade old, but that seems to be the most recent major one

Looking at this article, raising the debt ceiling maxed out at 55%. Assuming there hasn’t been a dramatic shift over the past decade, it’s hard to believe that completely repealing the debt ceiling would be supported by at least half of the population.

And to be honest, I expect it to be quite lower, since that 55% seemed to be so high because they added a clause to the question for yes but only if it included spending cuts. Without that clause, those polled who wanted to raise the debt ceiling was significantly lower

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 22, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cat botherer posted:

It's not polled very often, since it's rarely a significant political issue. But when it does come as a political issue, voters are pretty consistently skeptical of debt ceiling increases, and typically want them to be paired with spending cuts. Moreover, they largely don't realize the importance of debt ceiling increases, and have no idea how bad it would be to fail to raise it.

Of course, this isn't coming from an educated position about the debt ceiling. For the most part, voters don't know what the debt ceiling actually is - but that just means that they're relying heavily on their gut response to the word "debt". Naturally, they have no idea that failing to raise the debt ceiling would mean default.

Moreover, there's indications that voters don't even realize that the GOP's debt ceiling brinksmanship risks sending the US into default. At the very least, they don't seem to realize that the GOP are the ones pushing for default.

That lack of voter knowledge does mean that strong messaging could probably have some impact. Sufficiently strong push polling can come up with >50% approval if they load the question heavily enough; pointing out that the GOP raised the debt ceiling several times during Trump's administration proved to be a particularly effective message, probably because it swayed Republican respondents who had overwhelmingly opposed it when they thought it was a Democratic policy. But two weeks before election day is not the time to start trying to change voter's minds on a policy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cat botherer posted:

You understood what I was asking for correctly, thank you.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cat botherer posted:

and aren't primarily interested in semantic debates. This is D&D after all.
you have misunderstood what d&d is really about

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm a bit skeptical that the debt ceiling arguments would really impact the midterms but either way it's such a messaging failure that people are so ignorant and so resistant to repealing an idea as dumb as the debt ceiling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm a bit skeptical that the debt ceiling arguments would really impact the midterms but either way it's such a messaging failure that people are so ignorant and so resistant to repealing an idea as dumb as the debt ceiling.

It’s ironic because it’s a government finance thing that does map perfectly to personal household finances- the debt ceiling is paying off a credit card

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If they block student debt forgiveness, Biden should impose restitution for every single PPP loan forgiven.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
For every one of us that tries to look at things in the long-term and attacks the Dems from the left, a million voters only care about their fears and immediate material and financial concerns.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Star Man posted:

For every one of us that tries to look at things in the long-term and attacks the Dems from the left, a million voters only care about their fears and immediate material and financial concerns.

It kills me how I can ask literally any right leaning person what exactly voting for Republicans is going to do to improve their lives and they just stare at me blankly or mumble something about the government not wasting our hard earned tax dollars. I'm originally from the South and in those parts its just an accepted fact that Democrats are evil socialists out to destroy America. To them Republicans might suck too but at least they aren't Democrats. A huge swathe of the country just constantly marinating in Fox News and conservative talk radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Don't let them fool you with that "Republicans suck too" bullshit. They aren't voting for the lesser of two evils, they are voting to hurt the people they hate. They love the GOP as it is and any Republican who says otherwise is a liar (they are all liars anyway).