Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

before

after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The only reason I would buy something on the Microsoft Store is if it has Xbox Play Anywhere, because then you get it on Xbox as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but what's probably the "Best" Total-Annihilation style RTS to get into for a person who likes other RTS' but will probably only play it in single player?

I tried the base game of Planetary Annihilation which was pretty but eventually boring and I'm not sure if it was a good representation of the genre.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but what's probably the "Best" Total-Annihilation style RTS to get into for a person who likes other RTS' but will probably only play it in single player?

I tried the base game of Planetary Annihilation which was pretty but eventually boring and I'm not sure if it was a good representation of the genre.

Supreme Commander is probably still the closest thing with a campaign. Beyond All Reason is free and even closer to the TA formula but I think its campaign is more rudimentary. It does have some pretty great AI opponents and game modes for skirmish and co-op.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

edgeman83 posted:

They have really dropped the ball marketing the new Ghostbusters asymmetrical game. From the few streams I have watched it seems pretty fun and hits all of the nostalgia buttons, but no one seems to be playing it. It being an Epic exclusive isn't helping things, either.

Doesn't help that the devs are shitasses who don't support their products very well.(Friday the 13th and Predator Hunting Grounds)

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

edgeman83 posted:

They have really dropped the ball marketing the new Ghostbusters asymmetrical game. From the few streams I have watched it seems pretty fun and hits all of the nostalgia buttons, but no one seems to be playing it. It being an Epic exclusive isn't helping things, either.

I didn't even know it existed until I saw some friends streaming it online. It looked like a fun idea, but also looked incredibly unfun to play. They also had to regularly halt the session to try and work around stupid game breaking bugs, like the upgrade menu being unavailable for certain players because the multiplayer session refused to allow certain players to progress until they emptied their ghost trap... despite the ghost trap never having contained anything -- and could therefore never trigger the flag saying it had been emptied.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
about 10 pages late to arcanumchat, but there is a parallel universe where troika made billions and arcanum, temple of elemental evil et al are on their fifth AAA sequels and the world is beautiful

instead of this dumb world where modern fallout is awful and not fun

speaking of not fun, i spent too many hours patching & tweaking kinda-open-world-stalker-1.8 GAMMA to look & feel just right (it’s stalker, so it’s already wonderful, but the real turnaround was the Summer to Autumn retexture pack). it’s now super fun.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The First Descendant beta first impressions, playing as Ajax:

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

That lasted a while.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Deakul posted:

Doesn't help that the devs are shitasses who don't support their products very well.(Friday the 13th and Predator Hunting Grounds)
? Friday the 13th had to get abandoned because of lawsuits over the rights to the franchise, it wasn't the devs fault there

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
e: nvm!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

? Friday the 13th had to get abandoned because of lawsuits over the rights to the franchise, it wasn't the devs fault there

The devs probably should have did their homework before making a game based on such an expansive IP.

Not to mention that the devs could still update and fix up what they had released but they never did so the game as it is sucks balls.

They don't really have an excuse for Predator though, it's an unbalanced to hell MTX printing machine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Some more thoughts/questions on Gedonia;

-Crafting professions seem like an absolute waste of skill points. It's very easy to find gear as good as, or even better than, what you can craft. Also there's no 2H weapon for the max tier of Weaponsmithing :confused:
-Default difficulty feels way too easy, at least as a 2H user. The Powerful Strike / Whirlwind attacks from the Ferocity tree drat near 1-shot everything I've encountered so far as of Level 30.
-Hotbar space feels arbitrarily limited. It's like, slot my Buff / Element ability onto my hotbar, use it, remove it to put something else in its place since doing so doesn't remove the Buff. Repeat in 10/30 minutes when the buffs wear off.
-Can you only like "officially join" 1 faction? I seemed to call clicking the Join button for the Warrior's Guild right out of the gate, but now all the other faction buttons seem to be unclickable? Can't tell if Jank, or if I'm locked out. I want to join the Merchant's Guild so I can get +1 companion :( I regret not maxing CHA lol.

e; Side note drat I wish the new Steam App would push Steam Guard notifications rather than me having to go hunt down the Steam app and open it. Kinda regret replacing getting the emails with the app.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 22, 2022

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If anyone else tried Undecember during the recent demo event, I just went to see how reviews were looking post-release and the top one points out that it installs "nProtect GameGuard" on your system and doesn't remove it when you uninstall. There's a post about it with removal instructions here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1549250/discussions/0/3388420307302919948/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

e; Side note drat I wish the new Steam App would push Steam Guard notifications rather than me having to go hunt down the Steam app and open it. Kinda regret replacing getting the emails with the app.

It gave me a push notification yesterday for steam guard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

can i be gay as hell in potionomics

Not only can you, it's pretty much mandatory. Potionomics is gay as hell and it rules. All of the conversations between the MC and other women are just them dreamily gazing into each other's eyes while flirting.

GOTY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is valve like, a cool company? I'm still not entirely sure how but I'm pretty certain I've had a small "Monopoly bank error in your favor" thing happen and I was wondering if I alerted them to it if I'd like, get some sort of a finders fee as a thanks? My first and probably best instinct is to just take the money and run since it's not much anyway but if I had a jillion dollars I'd have no problems doling out money to people who helped me but that's probably why I don't run a major business. Let me know if this is the funniest thing anyone's asked in the entire thread, thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is valve like, a cool company? I'm still not entirely sure how but I'm pretty certain I've had a small "Monopoly bank error in your favor" thing happen and I was wondering if I alerted them to it if I'd like, get some sort of a finders fee as a thanks? My first and probably best instinct is to just take the money and run since it's not much anyway but if I had a jillion dollars I'd have no problems doling out money to people who helped me but that's probably why I don't run a major business. Let me know if this is the funniest thing anyone's asked in the entire thread, thanks

I don't think they'll be dickheads to you but I doubt they'll give you a reward. If you want the thread permission to keep your ill-gotten gains then sure, keep it. Without knowing what's happened it's hard to say if it's wise, though, or what consequences might happen if you don't disclose.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Sab669 posted:

-Hotbar space feels arbitrarily limited. It's like, slot my Buff / Element ability onto my hotbar, use it, remove it to put something else in its place since doing so doesn't remove the Buff. Repeat in 10/30 minutes when the buffs wear off.

You can cast spells directly from the skills page by clicking the little button below it. Its annoying but saves you reslotting at least.

But yeah, as a mage I'm finding it really limited.

For the faction stuff I remember it saying you could join other factions after you've finished the faction quest, but haven't gotten that far. Also, each faction has opposed factions which you're definitely locked out of.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 22, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there is no cool company

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

It gave me a push notification yesterday for steam guard.

Oh, maybe it's an issue with me leaving my phone in Do not Disturb 24/7. I have to manually go and open the app and switch to the Guard tab and approve the log in. Weird if it is a notification issue, because Stwam chat app pushes just fine. Too fine, actually, as I'd rather it didn't when I'm active on my PC 🙃

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Valve does have a bug bounty program but it seems to be focused more on security issues than "one weird trick for free steambux" type issues

also they have a reputation for ignoring bug reports through the bounty program anyway

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Oh, maybe it's an issue with me leaving my phone in Do not Disturb 24/7. I have to manually go and open the app and switch to the Guard tab and approve the log in. Weird if it is a notification issue, because Stwam chat app pushes just fine. Too fine, actually, as I'd rather it didn't when I'm active on my PC 🙃

Ok yeah that is probably the issue because even before the update it was hit or miss if I’d get the notification while my phone is in DND.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hwurmp posted:

there is no cool company

It's this, op. Companies are not people.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deakul posted:

The devs probably should have did their homework before making a game based on such an expansive IP.

Yeah, they're truly assholes for not being psychic.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sab669 posted:

isn't the whole point of the do not disturb mode to block notifications???

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, they're truly assholes for not being psychic.

it's not the workers' fault but yeah this is a huge show of incompetence from the studio management, they should have figured out the legal/licensing stuff before beginning

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 22, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Not only can you, it's pretty much mandatory. Potionomics is gay as hell and it rules. All of the conversations between the MC and other women are just them dreamily gazing into each other's eyes while flirting.

GOTY

yeah i bought in and played the first five days. i love it so far and it is, indeed, gay as hell

walrus guy rules

(e) also i think i'm gonna flunk the first competition at this rate, i have a whole 2G to my name start of day 6

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Peasants can evolve into Crop Elementals if left unchecked. It is too late for Rigbarth. Villagers whisper in fear of me and the corn-themed calamity they believe I will bring upon them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's not the workers' fault but yeah this is a huge show of incompetence from the studio management, they should have figured out the legal/licensing stuff before beginning

The legal fuckery came from someone on the first film coming knocking for rights/$$$ against the IP owners. The game was collateral damage and I don't think it can be chalked up to lack of due diligence on the developer's part.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Peasants can evolve into Crop Elementals if left unchecked. It is too late for Rigbarth. Villagers whisper in fear of me and the corn-themed calamity they believe I will bring upon them.

Rune factory 5?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

isn't the whole point of the do not disturb mode to block notifications???

Well, no, I still get notifications I've received a text or an email or the 2FA app for connecting my work PC pops up just fine.

DND is about doing it silently more than anything, IMO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Well, no, I still get notifications I've received a text or an email or the 2FA app for connecting my work PC pops up just fine.

DND is about doing it silently more than anything, IMO.

Yeah on iOS if I swipe up I can still see all the notifications that would have come though. The steam one was always hit or miss though so :shrug:

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

there is no cool company

What about Bad Company 2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Rune factory 5?

Correct

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sab669 posted:

-Crafting professions seem like an absolute waste of skill points. It's very easy to find gear as good as, or even better than, what you can craft. Also there's no 2H weapon for the max tier of Weaponsmithing :confused:
-Default difficulty feels way too easy, at least as a 2H user. The Powerful Strike / Whirlwind attacks from the Ferocity tree drat near 1-shot everything I've encountered so far as of Level 30.
-Can you only like "officially join" 1 faction? I seemed to call clicking the Join button for the Warrior's Guild right out of the gate, but now all the other faction buttons seem to be unclickable? Can't tell if Jank, or if I'm locked out. I want to join the Merchant's Guild so I can get +1 companion :( I regret not maxing CHA lol.

You are very wrong about crafting. It's to enhance your gear. Being able to put 3 types of bonuses on every armor piece makes quite a difference.

The factions are tied in 3 blocks. You can only join one of those.

Also yes the game starts off piss easy but you will get destroyed by midgame I guarantee.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Sab669 posted:

FrickenMoron posted:

You are very wrong about crafting. It's to enhance your gear. Being able to put 3 types of bonuses on every armor piece makes quite a difference.

Also yes the game starts off piss easy but you will get destroyed by midgame I guarantee.

Yeah, the main thing for crafting seems to be the hardening, enchanting, patches, etc. The actual gear you can make seems to be just "okay", which means it's mostly to override outdated armor immediately or in my case, usually to sell for some gold. Alchemy can just save you a lot of money though. It's good.

I didn't even know there was a way to actively join a faction. I've not found any of the NPCs to let me do that, somehow.

Also, yeah, the ferocity tree attacks are pretty drat strong at first, and 2H Axe (great all-around moveset) and 2H Blunt (hilarious knockback) just elevate that.

Haven't had a chance to play it since the day I got it, too busy, too much arthritis. I'll get back to it eventually.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Decided to play Gotham Knights before refunding it to maybe give it chance

Observations:
I cannot get over how ugly the UI wise like this is inexcusable for a non mobile game

I got my character to drive a bat cycle and the speed of it was so slow it was comical

At one point there were hostages below me and so I tried to jump over a railing but my character had no jump ability. You could not freely jump, you had to be in a specific area so when you hit jump they would do that action.

Just truly deeply disappointing and hit the refund. I had really really looked forward to this game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I got to the ~Level 35 story fight, I was level 37 and the fight where you fight the Dark God and it's kicking my rear end so I TP'd home and now I'm not sure how to get back to the story quest, hope I didn't break the game haha.

Turns out you have to fully Join one faction before you can join another, so I just needed to wrap up the Warriors quest and get the "You're an official member!" popup on the screen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You could not freely jump, you had to be in a specific area so when you hit jump they would do that action.

My exact reaction when I found out the same in Ocarina of Time.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You could not freely jump, you had to be in a specific area so when you hit jump they would do that action.

That's some Ultra Deluxe poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I was about to say