Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I think the game needs two things to help with ammo scarcity; do the thing HL2 does where the RNG tends to weight drops towards what you need (cultists are more likely to drop ammo if you're running low on their ammo type, or more likely to drop health if you're injured) and have a cultist enemy with the LAR that drops magnum rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Honestly, after playing more, I think my hot take is that I currently like Cultic more than most of the "boomer shooters" that have come out, including DUSK and AMID EVIL. To be clear, game like DUSK and AMID EVIL are great...it's just that it feels like Cultic was a game that was made for me.

Very interested in seeing where Chapter Two takes the game. And also very interested in seeing how any of the ~2 dozen boomer shooters I've got on my watchlist turn out over the next year or two.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
It's finally here
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2158860/JBMod/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3-CpwZfZE

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 22, 2022

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Is this like Garry Mod?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is this like Garry Mod?

It's what came before garry's mod so essentially you're getting like a 17-18 year old experience with this steam version, aside from it now running on a more up to date source engine version

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Finally playing Cultic, it took me playing through the whole demo to get a feel for the gameplay and movement, but the game owns. I dig the ludicrous gibs.

Is there any significance to the tent in the first map that says, upon inspecting, "This tent seems different than the others" or whatever?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Keep inspecting it. Keep doing it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

manero posted:

Finally playing Cultic, it took me playing through the whole demo to get a feel for the gameplay and movement, but the game owns. I dig the ludicrous gibs.

Is there any significance to the tent in the first map that says, upon inspecting, "This tent seems different than the others" or whatever?

I bombed and tried to burn that tent because of that lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cultic level 1 tent spoilers:
You have to hit inspect on it like 40 times and then it'll slowly give you the story of the voxel tents. It's an inside joke and I think it counts as a secret.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't because ammo for the fg42 seemed a little scarce. Do they drop more, not less, in the higher difficulties?
No, I just didn't use it much shortly before that fight

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HolyKrap posted:

It's what came before garry's mod so essentially you're getting like a 17-18 year old experience with this steam version, aside from it now running on a more up to date source engine version

Why would anyone want this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thinking about picking up Strafe, Prodeus, Dusk or Wrath for a boomer shooter fix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Thinking about picking up Strafe, Prodeus, Dusk or Wrath for a boomer shooter fix.

Dusk it’s even the right season for it!!!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dusk is just really all-around amazing and generally a strong candidate for best retro shooter. If you like this thread at all, definitely give it a go.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Definitely Dusk first.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Milo and POTUS posted:

No idea about Strafe. Wrath is unfinished so scratch that out. I just finished Prodeus and have mixed feelings about it (mostly just rehashing what everyone said a month ago when it first hit) so it's not a strong recommendation.

Dusk, despite looking fugly in screenshots, is actually outstanding and should be played by basically everyone who ever felt it might be their cup of tea. Which is you!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have to be the weirdo here and say I don't think DUSK looks ugly at any point, the low poly models are charming

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

As somebody with ~50 hours in STRAFE, don't pick it up if you're looking for a boomer shooter fix. It's a flawed Roguelite wrapped up in the veneer of a throwback shooter, but it really isn't one. Their marketing leaned hard on that aesthetic though, and I know a number of people got burned by that misleading presentation.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing Cultic, and liking it a lot.
That said, I wish they would have some QoL options of modern games, like changing the difficulty of my current save.

Looking at the titles of the level it occurred me...

BTW, do you know when FPS genre started to lost itself? When they stopped putting names to the levels. It's a small indicator that the devs don't care that much about level design. Even if you game is a single continuous experience, the good ones will still maintain the naming convention (ie. Half Lifes).

Now get off my lawn. :okboomer:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drat, I wanted to beat RE3make before Halloween but I'll bite and get Cultic to juggle both next week.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Re3make is like three hours long

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I cannot think of a single fps that I've played that doesn't have level names. Oh wait Borderlands2, maybe Rage. Hrm, yea, your point still stands.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Re3make is like three hours long

Oh, cool because I wanted to squeeze MediEvil too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hopped back into Project Warlock 2 after having last played it shortly after it first released, pacing is definitely a lot tighter now that the levels have been split up into smaller(though still rather meaty) chunks, admittedly I'm playing on easy but I'd say there's still some challenge to be had(even the most wimpy enemies can do a fair bit of damage if they can hit you, the shotgun skeletons in particular can be a downright menace if there's a couple of them weaved into a big crowd of ghouls and imps)

About the only major nitpick I have is that the second upgrade on the magic sword path for Palmer is mostly useless since the projectile can only hit a single enemy before dissipating, it consumes all of your stamina(and requires full stamina to be used), and a lot of the time it does little to literally no damage, not to mention has a relatively long recharge, which is a shame cause the first upgrade is great as it turned an already surprisingly strong melee weapon into something even more so

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

drat, I wanted to beat RE3make before Halloween but I'll bite and get Cultic to juggle both next week.

Yeah it's really short and honestly the only RE game since Code Veronica that I didn't care about enough to replay. Original RE3 was a different matter as I cleared that game out in Mercenaries :hellyeah:

Also I would say prioritise CULTIC, it keeps surpassing my expectations. Just an outstanding effort all round.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

BTW, do you know when FPS genre started to lost itself? When they stopped putting names to the levels. It's a small indicator that the devs don't care that much about level design. Even if you game is a single continuous experience, the good ones will still maintain the naming convention (ie. Half Lifes).

Now get off my lawn. :okboomer:

I don't think you can say they stopped, since CoD games still name every level, as does nuDoom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't think you can say they stopped, since CoD games still name every level, as does nuDoom.

That's not really the same though, I mean check the list of level names from Doom:

Doom posted:

HANGAR
NUCLEAR PLANT
TOXIN REFINERY
COMMAND CONTROL
PHOBOS LAB
CENTRAL PROCESSING
COMPUTER STATION
PHOBOS ANOMALY
MILITARY BASE

DEIMOS ANOMALY
CONTAINMENT AREA
REFINERY
DEIMOS LAB
COMMAND CENTER
HALLS OF THE DAMNED
SPAWNING VATS
TOWER OF BABEL
FORTRESS OF MYSTERY

HELL KEEP
SLOUGH OF DESPAIR
PANDEMONIUM
HOUSE OF PAIN
UNHOLY CATHEDRAL
MT. EREBUS
GATE TO LIMBO
DIS
WARRENS

These are all name that describe a place, theme, atmosphere. By contrast:

Call of Duty: Black Ops posted:

1. Operation 40
2. Vorkuta
3. U.S.D.D.
4. Executive Order
5. S.O.G.
6. The Defector
7. Numbers
8. Project Nova
9. Victor Charlie
10. Crash Site
11. WMD
12. Payback
13. Rebirth
14. Revelations
15. Redemption

Chapter titles from a Tom Clancy novel.

edit: also came across this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzqdZAYcwfY

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 23, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

this is getting serious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQPw_b4i7k

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Convex posted:

That's not really the same though, I mean check the list of level names from Doom:

These are all name that describe a place, theme, atmosphere. By contrast:

That's not very different from the Half-Life chapter titles.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Convex posted:

Yes, which is fitting for what the game is. That's just a tone difference.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, which is fitting for what the game is. That's just a tone difference.

You don't agree that one describes a place, setting, atmosphere in terms of a FPS level in a much better way? For example, there's a cool level in Black Ops where you infiltrate a missile facility in the desert, but I'll be damned if I can remember much about the level layout or what it was called, but I can for sure remember "slough of despair", it's the one with the big fuckin hand shape that's almost as depressing as real Slough

Thinking about it, agreeing it's tonally consistent is fair enough, as each Black Ops level is a linear sequence of events that happens exactly like a novel, where nothing changes the second time you experience it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think that the Doom level names are more campy, but I don't think something like "SLOUGH OF DESPAIR" is really actually more descriptive than something like "Crash site" or "WMD".

I am not a CoD fan, but I think if I was I would probably associate those names with places just the same as Doom level names.

Which is to say, I would remember maybe like 1/4th of them at best, I've played through Doom 1 several times and for most of these level names I have no idea which level they actually correspond to.
I can picture many Doom levels in my head but I have absolutely no clue which one of them is "HOUSE OF PAIN" or "REFINERY".

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Civvie's FEAR video just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE9ir6nJ95Q

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Games moved on from punchy stage names pretty quick. Even by Quake 2 the levels were just named after whatever building they took place in. If anything the naming convention of Doom and Quake is a leftover of arcade-era stage progression when you could actually say things like "level three" and have it mean something.

Even the original Doom Bible had a more freeform design that wouldn't have lent itself to memorable stage names

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I miss cool level/stage/mission names.

N
I
C
O
L
E

I
S

D
E
A
D

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Did anyone make an FPS level called "Lookout" which smashes the player with a crushing ceiling 5 seconds after the level starts, because that would be a good one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Convex posted:

Did anyone make an FPS level called "Lookout" which smashes the player with a crushing ceiling 5 seconds after the level starts, because that would be a good one

Descent Freespace 2 almost did that, but with a serious radio prompt instead of a silly map name.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Cultic level 1 tent spoilers:
You have to hit inspect on it like 40 times and then it'll slowly give you the story of the voxel tents. It's an inside joke and I think it counts as a secret.

Ahhh thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Serephina posted:

Descent Freespace 2 almost did that, but with a serious radio prompt instead of a silly map name.

The FreeSpaces had pretty great level names.