Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
S1 was pretty good, S2 was somewhere between mediocre and awful, S3 was less mediocre but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's one of those shows where the first season's conflict is like, an inherent conflict in the premise of the entire show, so once it's resolved there's not really anywhere it can go without being really stupid and or having some villain who tries the exact same thing that happened last season. Kind of like making an Escape from New York sequel where Snake has to rescue the President from New York... Again!

But anyway psychopass season 1 pwns and you should watch it. The dub is really good.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I am in the mood for something with the same sort of sci-fi mystery/thriller vibe as Id: Invaded. Anyone know anything?

You could go for the recently released Summer Time Rendering, which carries over that same cliffhanger energy. Last I heard (albeit months ago) it was still stuck in Disney jail, so you may have to find it via :filez:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm enjoying Recorder and Backpack and want to check out some other shows like that which are based on dumb gags like that which work great as three minute shorts. Ryotaro Okiayu playing a large adult son makes me laugh way more than it should, and the rest of the cast has way more talent than I'd expect for a show like this.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Shiki

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What are some highlights of the past few years? Besides Edgerunners and Dorohedoro I haven't been keeping up to date with releases for a while now.

Broad question, I realize, but I stumbled upon Sonny Boy by chance (and that's probably an all time great), so I just want to know if there was anything else in recent years I really shouldn't miss.

Though I should probably take a short break from the gut-wrenching/heartbreaking/soul-draining stuff. I've gone through Devilman Lady, the Chainsaw Man manga, Lain-rewatch, Pluto, and Sonny Boy in quick succession.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Odd Taxi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was considering bringing up Eizouken or that Chainsaw Man has an anime, but yeah. Odd Taxi is one of the best originals in recent years.

Kaguya and Mob have also been keeping up excellent adaptations, and Spy's been good, if you're looking for straightforward manga to anime. I also really liked 86 and Dynazenon last year, if you're into mechs, but Odd Taxi is still number 1 with a bullet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thank you, I will definitely check some of those out

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

What are some highlights of the past few years? Besides Edgerunners and Dorohedoro I haven't been keeping up to date with releases for a while now.

Depending on how far back you're going, Yuru Camp (1st season was 2018).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sure this is a very lame place to start, but I quite enjoyed Edgerunners and I’d love to learn of other shortish series in the same style. (I find it irrationally daunting to watch something knowing there are 152 more episodes afterwards.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The movies Redline and Promare and 90's OVA Cyber City Odeo 808 are probably good places to start.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Akudama Drive is a good cyberpunk series that is 12 episodes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I’m sure this is a very lame place to start, but I quite enjoyed Edgerunners and I’d love to learn of other shortish series in the same style. (I find it irrationally daunting to watch something knowing there are 152 more episodes afterwards.)
you will be thrilled to know that 99% of the anime made these days has 12 episodes

but also yeah, watch akudama drive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Subjunctive posted:

Why would it be a lame place to start? It's a good show by pretty much all accounts.

You could dip into films if you want to try out Ghost in the Shell for another piece of major cyberpunk history. It's also only 80 minutes long.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GitS 1 and 2 are absolutely required watching just in their own right as movies and not even as anime, imo. I'd probably say that you could get sucked into Stand Alone Complex, the actually good TV show version also, since both seasons are more or less standalone episodes with some lightly overarching plots, as opposed to a continuous storyline. I don't like long series either but if something doesn't hold my attention for an episode or two I'm not gonna finish it anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Well, if you want the predecessors to Trigger's style (although a bit more over-the-top in substance as well as style) FLCL and Diebuster are six episodes each. I'd also recommend SSSS Gridman from them. It's a 12 episode toku series, with a lot of focus on the mundane aspects and mysteries that builds to a great payoff.

Outside of that, this season has Chainsaw Man, which you might or might not like. Only two episodes so far, and the season should finish with twelve, so it's not too much of a commitment yet, and it has a similar structure with a poor orphan meeting a dangerous woman, getting super powers, and falling into a life of mayhem with a new found family. Not that similar overall, but it might scratch some of the same itches.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Rinkles posted:

Broad question, I realize, but I stumbled upon Sonny Boy by chance (and that's probably an all time great), so I just want to know if there was anything else in recent years I really shouldn't miss.

Though I should probably take a short break from the gut-wrenching/heartbreaking/soul-draining stuff. I've gone through Devilman Lady, the Chainsaw Man manga, Lain-rewatch, Pluto, and Sonny Boy in quick succession.

Ousama Ranking

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

grate deceiver posted:

Ousama Ranking

Ousama Ranking looks amazing and has some great character moments, but like so many promising shows it kinda comes apart by the final act. Past a certain point the story just can't keep itself from piling more and more twists and bullshit motivations, which is a shame since the initial premise was solid enough.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SexyBlindfold posted:

Ousama Ranking looks amazing and has some great character moments, but like so many promising shows it kinda comes apart by the final act. Past a certain point the story just can't keep itself from piling more and more twists and bullshit motivations, which is a shame since the initial premise was solid enough.

I disagree, I think Ranking of Kings is incredibly compelling from start to finish

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thetoughestbean posted:

I disagree, I think Ranking of Kings is incredibly compelling from start to finish

Agreed. Especially considering the finish is either a solid ending to a full story, or just the prologue.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's incredibly compelling right up until the final (maybe penultimate?) episode

and then it's real bad real fast

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i thought the whole second half was poorly constructed, it turned from a cool adventure series into bad wannabe HxH

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sakurazuka posted:

The movies Redline and Promare and 90's OVA Cyber City Odeo 808 are probably good places to start.

Tales of Woe posted:

Akudama Drive is a good cyberpunk series that is 12 episodes

Endorph posted:

you will be thrilled to know that 99% of the anime made these days has 12 episodes

but also yeah, watch akudama drive

Arc Hammer posted:

Why would it be a lame place to start? It's a good show by pretty much all accounts.

You could dip into films if you want to try out Ghost in the Shell for another piece of major cyberpunk history. It's also only 80 minutes long.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, if you want the predecessors to Trigger's style (although a bit more over-the-top in substance as well as style) FLCL and Diebuster are six episodes each. I'd also recommend SSSS Gridman from them. It's a 12 episode toku series, with a lot of focus on the mundane aspects and mysteries that builds to a great payoff.

Outside of that, this season has Chainsaw Man, which you might or might not like. Only two episodes so far, and the season should finish with twelve, so it's not too much of a commitment yet, and it has a similar structure with a poor orphan meeting a dangerous woman, getting super powers, and falling into a life of mayhem with a new found family. Not that similar overall, but it might scratch some of the same itches.

This is very helpful, thank you! I think I will try to find Akudama Drive to start with…

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

GitS 1 and 2 are absolutely required watching just in their own right as movies and not even as anime, imo. I'd probably say that you could get sucked into Stand Alone Complex, the actually good TV show version also, since both seasons are more or less standalone episodes with some lightly overarching plots, as opposed to a continuous storyline. I don't like long series either but if something doesn't hold my attention for an episode or two I'm not gonna finish it anyway.

Gits 2 blows even if you are a fan of Gits. At least that was the case for me until is watched sac.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DamnGlitch posted:

Gits 2 blows even if you are a fan of Gits. At least that was the case for me until is watched sac.

I watched it recently and it was one of the most impressive movies I've seen ever from a cinematic standpoint. The story was good, too- it's just not about the Major, her story's already been told for that adaptation. I dunno what's not to like, unless you were hoping it wouldn't be as slow and thoughtful as the first movie.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I watched it recently and it was one of the most impressive movies I've seen ever from a cinematic standpoint. The story was good, too- it's just not about the Major, her story's already been told for that adaptation. I dunno what's not to like, unless you were hoping it wouldn't be as slow and thoughtful as the first movie.

I can toss in some things, if you're looking for them. Different scales, of course, but some issues I had:

1) The Yakuza scene is a bad execution of a classic joke, making Batou gunning all of those guys down feel gross instead of funny. Since we don't know what they did to deserve it until later, since he doesn't give a real chance to surrender, and since they're no threat to him, it looks more like cold blooded murder than a comedic execution of justice. For comparison, similar scenes in, say, Mad Bull 34 have Eddie freak the gently caress out at the murders before "Mad Bull" shows him the reason he just took a bribe from a hooker, tossed a small child out a window, or brutally murdered 50 people, which usually gets Eddie to grudgingly admit that he can see the point, even if he'd prefer that John stay within the law.

Here, though, the only thing that Togusa objects to on seeing a room full of helpless people (who do, to be clear, have it coming, even if we don't know it yet) get gunned down is that he could have been hurt. It makes Section 9's whole government black ops hit squad thing feel less like something the series wants to examine, and more like something it just thinks is cool.

2) Removing the Major should lead to a more balanced setup, since Section 9 is a bunch of experts in various fields who are usually less able to show off because Makoto is great at almost everything. But instead, we just get Batou taking her place as the great at everything person (if less great), with Togusa being primarily comic relief, despite this being an investigation job. Togusa's the detective! Investigation is supposed to be his thing! But no, balancing out the skills of the protagonists would be more work, so he's pretty much useless.

3) Ghost in the Shell has always been philosophical. You talk to a random garbage man, he'll have some deep discussions ready on the nature of reality and his own continuity of thought. Part of the setting, part of the tone. But Innocence ramps it up to an absurd degree, and moves further towards everyone just having a Bartlett's Familiar Quotations app loaded for whenever there's downtime in a conversation. There's no consideration for character in their use. Just deep thoughts getting trotted out on a dime. (Now, if there was a character who instead constantly quoted Jack Handey's deep thoughts, that might be different.) It makes the characters feel less distinct, and the insights less relevant. When anyone can say the same thing, what does it matter who says it this time?

It's still a great looking movie, and some of the philosophical musings are up there with the series best, but it's a massive step down from the original. I'm glad I checked it out, but I'd say it's something to watch if you want more GitS after the first movie, the first manga, and Standalone Complex, not a must on its own merits.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To clarify, the first movie doesn’t really introduce most of the other characters of section 9, so them appearing in the second doesn’t hit unless you’ve seen sac since that gives context to who the hell all the tertiary characters are supposed to be.

And yeah, git’s to me is fundamentally a story starring The major. So seeing the second movie it with only the first for context was a meandering disappointment. After watching sac I liked it a great deal more.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure you not supposed to find killing all the yakuza funny lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm pretty sure you not supposed to find killing all the yakuza funny lol

Then why is it set up like a joke? Setup, punchline.

"We're just asking questions, right?"

"Promise me no shooting."

"We'll try to avoid shooting as much as possible."

(Everyone gets massacred almost immediately)

"Didn't you promise no shooting?"

"I really tried, I swear."

The whole scene isn't a joke, but the moment where Batou mows them all down is clearly meant to be at least somewhat humorous.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

it's incredibly compelling right up until the final (maybe penultimate?) episode

and then it's real bad real fast

I wouldn't say it gets that bad, but I agree that the finale resolves everything a little too neatly and it feels fake and unearned.

But even having said that, it's still an very good show up to that point.

Also another recent recommendation to the pile - Paripi Koumei

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No I'm talking about miranjo and daida man

It is a baffling conclusion to that character dynamic both for being unearned/too tidy but also for other much worse reasons. Makes a fantastic show leave with a repulsive taste in my mouth

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 24, 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You should watch Revue Starlight.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
There's also the bit that *could* be interpreted as allegorical apologism for Japanese war crimes, but I'm willing to extend the author the benefit of the doubt there since it does require filling a lot of blanks.

We'll always have that Bojji/Bosse fight scene tho

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

There's also the bit that *could* be interpreted as allegorical apologism for Japanese war crimes, but I'm willing to extend the author the benefit of the doubt there since it does require filling a lot of blanks.

We'll always have that Bojji/Bosse fight scene tho

poo poo I completely forgot about the evil not-koreans. You know what, maybe just stop at S1 and call it a day

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So my favorite shows have been The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, The Tatami Galaxy, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Can anyone recommend any Art Ho anime that are in similar veins to those? Extra points if they have queer overtones, but nowhere necessary if they have interesting characterization or animation quirkiness.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blue Labrador posted:

So my favorite shows have been The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, The Tatami Galaxy, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Can anyone recommend any Art Ho anime that are in similar veins to those? Extra points if they have queer overtones, but nowhere necessary if they have interesting characterization or animation quirkiness.

Ping Pong
Mawaru Penguindrum

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Blue Labrador posted:

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight is very utena-ish, and good, and mindfucky, and gay.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just rewatched and it held up better than I liked it the first time (week to week really hosed up the back half): star driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blue Labrador posted:

Princess Tutu, Kaiba