Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I haven't followed Long Dark since it was EA. How is the gameplay? Is there an end goal or are you just trying to make it as long as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I believe you can do both, they have:

A scripted narrative single player campaign
An open ended sandbox
Themed scenario survival with win conditions
(Ex: get to the lighthouse across the way, or kill the spooky bear that's gunning for you)

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The lighthouse one is pretty fun. It's "fire a flaregun from the top of the lighthouse" as the victory condition and starts you on the other side of the island from the lighthouse and makes the only flaregun spawn at the peak of timberwolf mountain, so you have a real journey but still gotta settle down for a bit to get set for climbing the mountain. Not really a fan of any of the other challenges tho. They are either too simple, too restrictive, or just ain't my vibe (constant chasing threats or strict time limits are nah).

There is what is basically a classic slenderman mode too if you wanna play that haha

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Anyone got any experience with the switch port of the long dark?

The chat here has got me interested but if it was one of those fire and forget ports I won’t bother. Looks like it has all the updates so fast but gets them at a slightly delayed rate but I don’t want to buy the game and find it performs terribly or whatever.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
What's the long dark all about anyway? Like how does it compare to other survival games in the genre and what does it do differently?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Umbreon posted:

What's the long dark all about anyway? Like how does it compare to other survival games in the genre and what does it do differently?

It's a much slower, more gradual survival game, or rather a slow-dying game. The thing that sets it apart is the environment; the far north winter setting has a huge impact on you, and it drives most of the systems. You set up bases to get out of the cold, you craft items to stave off the cold, you equip clothes to balance the resistance to moisture against pure cold resistance, so on. Trudging through the snow is tiring and burns calories faster, being cold burns calories faster, and getting caught in a snowstorm without a fire and the means to support it can be a death sentence.

It's a game where crossing a short distance is a challenge so you make longer trips made up of little hops, which makes traversing the world between points difficult. Since your ability to move is limited you also tend to pick clean areas pretty fast, although you can live a while if you dedicate yourself to truly exploiting everything around you.

Its a great game but not for everyone.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Compared to other survival games I think mechanically one of the biggest differences is you don't really go out and harvest resources to bring home and craft into things. You don't cut down trees for lumber to craft things, you don't break stone or mine iron ore, you don't even really make tools, and the rare exceptions to this are mostly very lategame. You'll pick up sticks or chop a fallen branch from time to time, but that's mostly just for firewood. Instead you spend most of your gameplay scavenging and scrounging, trekking to various points of interest to loot whatever's left behind, living in abandoned structures.
In most survival games I play, you try to get stacks of raw materials so you can craft things up at a workbench or whatever. In The Long Dark, I mostly try to get stacks of clothing, food, and clean water.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's also worth noting that despite the lo fi aesthetic, it has probably the most convincing depiction of darkness I've seen in a game, and it fits perfectly with the gameplay. Very immersive.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

metasynthetic posted:

It's also worth noting that despite the lo fi aesthetic, it has probably the most convincing depiction of darkness I've seen in a game, and it fits perfectly with the gameplay. Very immersive.

Eh, I think they went overboard with it. In a house with open windows at night it's loving pitch black cave darkness, you can not see a god drat thing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Umbreon posted:

It encourages you to find a nice secure house that meets all your survival needs. Then forces you to sleep on the ground outside of that house because staying inside for a day apparently drives you insane

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RandomBlue posted:

Eh, I think they went overboard with it. In a house with open windows at night it's loving pitch black cave darkness, you can not see a god drat thing.

When I was a kid I used to spend a few days a year at my uncle's who lived far from a city and at night it was basically can't see poo poo pitch black.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it mostly makes sense except a: a full moon is a lot of light, way more than the game gives you and B: a lot of the exteriors of the buildings show bright lights inside and then they're dark, or a bright landscape outside and none of that light is making its way in lol

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Azhais posted:

It encourages you to find a nice secure house that meets all your survival needs. Then forces you to sleep on the ground outside of that house because staying inside for a day apparently drives you insane

What? Is that seriously an actual mechanic?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Spending an entire day at home seems like a blessing to me

I'm a hospital ED janitor I haven't had a day off since February of 2020 for the love of God someone shoot me

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Umbreon posted:

there is an illness that you get if you spend too long indoors that.. prevents you from sleeping, resting or reading indoors. because people are more adverse to the punishment rather than whether or not it matters, they tend to just self-inflict the illness instead of ignoring it as they should, lol

basically if youre indoors for like 80% of the time over six days, you get a debuff that lasts one day that doesnt let you do that stuff inside

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Cabin Fever is a mechanic yeah, when you get it you can't sleep/pass time/read indoors for 24 hours. If you do a custom difficulty you can turn it off iirc, and there is a grace period of 25-50 days where you can't develop it on all but the hardest difficulty. And on easiest it's just off by default.

It's also really not that bad. Partially paraphrasing from the wiki: If a survivor has spent more than 18.83 hours per day (averaged over the last 6 days) indoors, they will become at risk of developing cabin fever, which is an affliction in itself (that does nothing and just has a % tracker that shows whether it's going away or getting worse), if you continue to stay indoors with the 'at-risk' affliction it'll turn into cabin fever proper once it's tracker hits 100%.

So just like, do some stuff outside if it's nice enough out during the day and you should be fine. There's also plenty of locations that count as 'outside' but have nearly all the shelter benefits of being indoors, the back of a cave counts as outside yet provides full shelter from storms and the like for example.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 23, 2022

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I know my situation isn't comparable, but that feels really silly to me as a person who works from home and frequently stays inside the house for way longer than 24 hours at a time lol.

Still though, the penalty doesn't really sound that bad

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had absolutely no clue Cabin Fever was a thing because day time is for doing stuff outdoors and night time is for indoor chores.

I always call Long Dark a "nomad" simulator because, as was said earlier, it's a game about travel rather than that classic survival loop of returning resources to a central base. Yeah you'll have bases, and make enough trips to it for it to feel like home, but your goal is always to be well prepared enough to GO somewhere. This is probably heavily influenced by me only playing the campaign.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Umbreon posted:

I know my situation isn't comparable, but that feels really silly to me as a person who works from home and frequently stays inside the house for way longer than 24 hours at a time lol.

Still though, the penalty doesn't really sound that bad

Yeah, but you have a lot of entertainment and resources to occupy yourself. If you are spending 24 hours inside just watching skins dry then you're going to get a little stir crazy, especially when going outside is actively detrimental to your health.

Honestly I never got cabin fever since I always was working on something during the day outside so I didn't even know it was a mechanic.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its part of the set of mechanics they introduced over a while to prevent people from eating 1200 calories a day immediately before bed and otherwise just passing their entire time away in a cabin. other solutions would make it so indoors isnt always warm which might be more realistic but the game is so harsh outside that you need somewhere safe

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had absolutely no clue Cabin Fever was a thing because day time is for doing stuff outdoors and night time is for indoor chores.

I always call Long Dark a "nomad" simulator because, as was said earlier, it's a game about travel rather than that classic survival loop of returning resources to a central base. Yeah you'll have bases, and make enough trips to it for it to feel like home, but your goal is always to be well prepared enough to GO somewhere. This is probably heavily influenced by me only playing the campaign.

no, this is exactly how it plays out in survival. especially in higher difficulties, where the world gets increasingly harsh, there's always a subtle time pressure to collect efficiently, use your indoor time to prepare for another journey, and go somewhere that has a resource you cant get elsewhere (be it crafting a bow, a flare gun, clothing, the top of the mountain etc). you can survive pretty effortlessly even when the game is at its hardest and i think for people that do that the game doesn't click but i find the game almost meditative at this point

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
drat, I didn't realize this DLC was slated for December. That's much sooner than I expected.
I hope we get more info on what it brings by then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Verviticus posted:

its part of the set of mechanics they introduced over a while to prevent people from eating 1200 calories a day immediately before bed and otherwise just passing their entire time away in a cabin. other solutions would make it so indoors isnt always warm which might be more realistic but the game is so harsh outside that you need somewhere safe

no, this is exactly how it plays out in survival. especially in higher difficulties, where the world gets increasingly harsh, there's always a subtle time pressure to collect efficiently, use your indoor time to prepare for another journey, and go somewhere that has a resource you cant get elsewhere (be it crafting a bow, a flare gun, clothing, the top of the mountain etc). you can survive pretty effortlessly even when the game is at its hardest and i think for people that do that the game doesn't click but i find the game almost meditative at this point

How does this game get beaten then? Is the premise waiting out the winter or trying to head to a certain location? Last time I touched this was in late 2018 for like 5 minutes. prior to that, much longer.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

buglord posted:

How does this game get beaten then? Is the premise waiting out the winter or trying to head to a certain location? Last time I touched this was in late 2018 for like 5 minutes. prior to that, much longer.

Storymode has the story you follow to win, challenges have victory conditions, but survival mode is a slow march to eventual, inevitable death.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jawnycat posted:

Storymode has the story you follow to win, challenges have victory conditions, but survival mode is a slow march to eventual, inevitable death.

seems like they named that wrong then

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well, I just had the card survival experience of dying of dehydration while the 3 minute "drink a thing" action was completing. I've been having a great time with this game the last couple days. I don't think it's quite the same value as card quest, but if it ever goes on sale I would recommend picking it up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really enjoyed it. I don't think I'll do another runthrough but I'm satisfied with this one. Although... I savescummed the raft twice because I entirely misunderstood how to plan/pack for it.

The chest addon is mandatory and anything you don't have in the chest or on your back (including in your hand row) is 100% gone in storms which come every few days. They don't warn or mention it, only "pack a lot of food and water!". Sacks? Gone. That jerrycan? It's the ocean's now. There's no way to lash anything to the raft I guess. If only half your stuff slid into the water, not to worry because the second and third wave in an hour will take the rest. What's the point of those raft expansions? I literally have no idea because anything on the "deck" is owned by Davey Jones as soon as you lose sight of land. Didn't
realize you had to stash your clay firepit in the chest during a storm? Pretty soon you won't have to realize anything ever again.

I also forgot to bring bones and only had a single half-health fishing line but fortunately that chest was stuffed with sago flour and chilis. For water, I had my gourd and two coconuts that had fortunately been in my backpack. I lost one half desperately trying to gather water in the rain when the storm hit.

Honestly, it's the least fun part of the game because the mechanics are so obtuse - For example, if you leave your sail up during a storm you travel 3x faster but take a bit of (repairable) damage. I was 2/3rds through my journey before I realized this. The journey itself is also extremely tedious because of the heat and insanity. You'll be washing yourself hourly and taking 1h naps over and over again, for weeks - no sleeping in 4h - 8h increments because you won't wake up as your sail gets destroyed or you'll simply overheat and become dehydrated. Water is far, far too precious for that.

Dive, Rest 1h, hug your pet, repeat. Occasionally, on cooler nights you can sneak in a 1 hour drum session to keep your spirits up. Get bit by a shark. Count the raw wound a blessing because the resulting meat keeps you alive for just that little bit longer. Feast on that meat for days after playing the "Gather rain into 3 coconut husks" game over and over again. Being insane from pain but still alive is better than the alternative.

This victory confetti is deeply ironic. I conquered land, killed the spirits that hunted me, explored and achieved all I could desire, I then surveyed all I had built in triumph and turned my back on the island in victory. By the time I arrived to civilization, I was a shadow of what I once was - entirely broken by my journey back.

Just stay on the island, happy and fed. I wish I had. I eventually made it out the other side, with Weston and my Macaque friend, but in the worst of it, deep in waking hallucinations, I dreamt I finally died twice and instead woke up to a nightmare almost every hour for 15 days.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 24, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I chopped down like 6 loving trees, avoided their notice as much as possible and fled rather than fighting whenever that was an option, never built a proper base, never tampered with any effigies or built my own. Although according to the wiki it takes only 20 days for most of the mutants to be replaced with masked mutants and the pale ones I was mostly encountering are the middle of the progression tree. Maybe the AI aggression "fuzziness" bugged out and scaled itself to maximum or something, because the game sure still does have its fair share of residual bugginess.

I'm with you on this. I love the forest but I've never had a game not devolve into cannibals throwing themselves at me and the surface becoming a warzone if I dared build a shelter somewhere.

After 30 days you're gonna find the mutants on the surface regardless of what you do and they instabreak everything they touch.

My last few bases were on little islands really far out.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got in the habit of making a base, and then sleeping in a treehouse some ways off. Kind of silly to not live in your own house, but it was pretty cool, being woken up by screeching cannibals poking around my empty base nearby.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Card Survival got a Halloween themed content update, main feature is adding back in the mermaid character from EA as a properly fleshed out default character. Also a bunch of new perks:

patch notes posted:

We've added some new perks that where related to the mermaid and an additional horror one for halloween. Here's the list:

Main Perks:

Alien Lifeform:
Shortly after starting your island adventure an asteroid will fall from the sky. You will then notice something growing from the crater. Something that smells good and appears to be edible...
Smells great, strangely tasty, very nutritious and easy to grow. What could go wrong!?

Seahounds:
Horrible sea monsters obsessed with eating mermaid flesh (or human if no mermaid is available). They will hunt the coastal areas of the island and can inject you with parasites if they manage to sting you. Their parasites will grow inside your body if left unchecked and alter your mind to make you want to stay close to the sea so that the seahounds can finish their job.

Pregnancy:
This perk will cause your character to start pregnant. Pregnancy will give you nausea during its first stages, increase your hunger and calorie needs afterwards, and finally make it harder for you to walk. After 3 months you will then be able to give birth to a little baby!

Additional Perks:

- Feral: Become immune to the effects of discomfort. Perfect for cave living.
- Hypermetabolism: Burn energy very fast and have a higher body temperature.
- Land Sickness: Your character will get nauseous when far from the sea.

The minor non-themed additions are also real nice:

patch notes posted:

- Added a new Straw Cape that serves as less effective alternative to the raincoat.
- Some plants (including bark) can now be dried in the smoker.
- Added a new Drunken Crab recipe (made with alcohol, crabs and ginger).
- Most skill perks now have a stronger effect on the difficulty score.
- Gluttonous and Inappetent perks now have effects on food saturation.
- Snake Grass now also grows in the Mangroves.
- Mud Deposits are now more common in the Mangroves.
- Small game traps can now be destroyed by storms.
- Bone Knife has more durability now.
- Island Chicken no longer needs salt.

- Made official character portraits available to everyone.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 26, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

Card Survival got a Halloween themed content update, main feature is adding back in the mermaid character from EA as a properly fleshed out default character. Also a bunch of new perks:

The minor non-themed additions are also real nice:

It’s also on sale.

I’m gonna pick it up for sure

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Fair warning fish traps and rockfall traps are now destroyed during storms, take them in or down before storm season hits. The developer has mentioned that this feels a bit too harsh, and there are plans to adjust storm destruction effects at some point.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah fish traps being destroyed in the only places you can actually put them seems a bit much

e: escaping at 183 days, lol

i think i might just have to go with the "stay on the island" ending because my guy's already going to have lived there forever

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 27, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Fish traps were already only mildly useful for the occasional fancy meal but that change makes them borderline useless as they're not the cheapest of things to make both material and time-wise.

Drunken crab is great fun, though :allears:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 27, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vintage Story: I spent a good 4 hours mining out an iron deposit today. Just poor quality, but now I've got a chest almost full of chunks. I figure that should be enough for awhile. Very excited. I just got by first tiny helve hammer started and this is my first time moving into the iron age.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 15, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LLSix posted:

Vintage Story: I spent a good 4 hours mining out an iron deposit today. Just poor quality, but now I've got a chest almost full of chunks. I figure that should be enough for awhile. Very excited. I just got by first tiny helve hammer started and this is my first time moving into the iron age.

Iron's a great place to be in.

Steel ain't half bad either, if you got access to the basics.

We also got a Vintage Story thread now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just saw this in a preview video
Openworld survival crafting
Nightengale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928980/Nightingale/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256890903/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1654817352

Seems to have a card based Myst like random gen world creation through portals.
Which, to me, sounds like that old Minecraft Myst based mod where you combine pages to random gen worlds.
I could be wrong though, I often am.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 17, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It looks interesting enough to keep an eye on but the lack of release date makes it hard to get too excited.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Considering Bethesdas Starfield was supposed to be out last week, thats a good outlook.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

OgNar posted:

Openworld survival crafting

That's three of the four horsemen of the apocalypse when it comes to games these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"card-based" completes the set imo