Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am going on a trip soon and taking the steam deck with me. Because I don't want too much unnecessary weight, I am wondering if I have to bring the SD charger. I have a Samsung S10+ and usually use its charger. I know it could charge the steam deck, but it would be slow. But would the steam deck charger damage the phone if I used that?

Ideally, I could bring a single charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Does that keyboard play snake? Can you install windows on it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I am going on a trip soon and taking the steam deck with me. Because I don't want too much unnecessary weight, I am wondering if I have to bring the SD charger. I have a Samsung S10+ and usually use its charger. I know it could charge the steam deck, but it would be slow. But would the steam deck charger damage the phone if I used that?

It won't damage the phone.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I used the switch charger on my deck for a week or so after MY CAT destroyed the original one. It was a lot slower but still worked. No explosions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Magic Shortbus posted:

Velcroed an old micro keyboard/mouse to the back of the Steam Deck. Comes in handy for typing passwords and other things. Doesnt get in the way and adds only a tiny weight. Feels like a good cheap mod!
Steam Deck - Velcroed an old keyboard to the back. Feels good!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lore Crimes posted:

play the steam games I’ve bought, blasphemous as that is.)

good choice, great game

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ya know, the deckmate came with a couple spare attachments pucks. That’s actually not the worst idea I’ve seen. I’m mostly just using the kickstand for now.

https://deckmate.me - these things are actually pretty neat if you want to upgrade from velcroing crap to your handheld.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Magic Shortbus posted:

Velcroed an old micro keyboard/mouse to the back of the Steam Deck. Comes in handy for typing passwords and other things. Doesnt get in the way and adds only a tiny weight. Feels like a good cheap mod!

Username post combo slam dunk.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MarcusSA posted:

It won't damage the phone.

Cool. Thanks.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Well duckstation crashed and with no save rip parasite eve

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steam Deck is the perfect remote play device for PS4/5

It’s like having a new Vita except it also has games you can play when you aren’t just remoting into your console.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Steam Deck is the perfect remote play device for PS4/5

It’s like having a new Vita except it also has games you can play when you aren’t just remoting into your console.

Do the back buttons map to it?

Sony wants $200 for a controller with back buttons lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Do the back buttons map to it?

Sony wants $200 for a controller with back buttons lol

Yeah you can map them however you want because that’s all handled by the controller layout in steam through chiaki

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah you can map them however you want because that’s all handled by the controller layout in steam through chiaki

Ok that's fuckin sweet. I'm gonna have to set that up tonight I think.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok that's fuckin sweet. I'm gonna have to set that up tonight I think.

Use the chiaki4deck version, they have a setup guide that gets you up and running with a game mode shortcut too.

For whatever reason when I got to the final step I had to manually browse to where the shortcut script had been created because steam didn’t find it automatically like the guide suggested it would, but that was the only hiccup.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Magic Shortbus posted:

Weird, I have that exact same keyboard and was using it with my steam deck tonight. No velcro though.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone had the Discover store stop updating?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Has anyone had the Discover store stop updating?

It's really finicky and I usually have to try several times to get all the updates to work properly

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Trying to do some Grim Dawn decking but it doesn't want to save the options for some reason. I tried finding the options file in desktop mode and make the whole folder editable but that doesn't seem to help. Anyone had any success with this problem?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's really finicky and I usually have to try several times to get all the updates to work properly

Bummer okay thanks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ugh, I just figured out what's going on with this bizarrro input problem I've been having for months. I think it's been happing to other folks here too but the symptoms haven't been clear until now.

It seems that, when you run flatpak apps in Game mode (so those installed via flatpak and added as non-Steam games), that if you use a Steam button hotkey (like Steam+D-Left for escape, or Steam+R1 to take screenshot) then Steam input switches to your Desktop input config instead of the one you have assigned for the game.

This is problematic if your Desktop config uses very different bindings from those you would use in a game. Or if you simply don't have back buttons setup in Desktop mode.

It's weird because it only happens for things I have installed as flatpaks. It doesn't happen with any Steam games whether Proton or Steam Linux Runtime, and it doesn't happen with non-Steam games running under Proton. But everything I have installed as flatpaks (AM2R, Dolphin, Mednafen, PrimeHack) does this. I originally noticed that my back buttons weren't working in Dolphin if stopped the emulator (Steam+D-Left) and started a new game unless I quit entirely.

Anyone else see this?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 23, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No save states?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't believe the Steam Deck managed to emulate getting a PlayStation and one game but not a memory card, and then your parents walk in and notice the console is on but the TV's off and "helpfully" turn it off for you :classiclol:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well just hooked up the Dock and it's pretty impressive so far to boot up emulation on a big screen, especially the ps1 era stuff.

I've only tested Arkham Origins as a "modern" game though and spotted I could only set the resolution to the max scale of the handheld rather than the output device.

Is this normal?

I've got an HDTV connected to my gaming PC via dlink or hdmi or something and when I boot up a game with that screen set to primary, I'm able to adjust the resolution as if its a second monitor.

Does the Steam Dock not treat connected screens in the same way? Or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The supplied charger fits in the case's strap-covered indentation. You don't lose out on any space by packing the charger unless you're putting other stuff in that nook.

kdrudy posted:

Weird, I have that exact same keyboard and was using it with my steam deck tonight. No velcro though.

How is it? I have a cheap tiny Bluetooth unfolding keyboard with touchpad. It sucks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Neither device's PSU will harm any other device, but the Dreck wants 15 V (which the Samsung PSU probably doesn't output) and Samsung phones tend to use PPS (which the Dreck OEM PSU doesn't do.) There are aftermarket PSUs that do PPS ranges and the full set of PD 2+ voltages, however.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it possible at all to get Arkham Asylum working on Deck? When I tried it a couple weeks ago it absolutely wouldn’t boot up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is it possible at all to get Arkham Asylum working on Deck? When I tried it a couple weeks ago it absolutely wouldn’t boot up.

People on ProtonDB say it should work with GE-Proton as of 2 weeks ago, though you might need to launch it twice. Also if you have Decky Loader installed, I strongly recommend the ProtonDB Badges plugin, it'll add the game's ProtonDB status to the game page that you can click to open the page. Generally you're looking for Gold (might need a few tweaks like manually setting a Proton version) or Platinum (effectively verified). I don't think it's worth the headache of dealing with Silver and lower ratings.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 23, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I figured out my Primehack issue. Wrong Metroid Prime version lmao

Also got RPCS3 set up and going. Unicorn Gundam runs even better on the deck than my computer, that's really weird lol. I'm probably overdoing it on settings on my pc though

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

You have to use GE-Proton and run the game for the first time through desktop mode so it can get the right install files working. May need to delete the old proton settings before doing that which you can do by enabling developer settings and using the gear icon on a game's page. I installed GE-Proton thru the discover app like a normal program on desktop mode IIRC. I played thru 100% with no major issues, had a few crashes but nothing consistent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

New Humble Bundle is all Vampite: The Masquerade stuff. It's all visual novel/cyoa stuff so I'd assume it's great for the deck, but it shows as unsupported. Anyone tried any of them

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Vampire: The Survivors

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

yeah I had it working fine a week or two ago, just had to change the proton version

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Opopanax posted:

New Humble Bundle is all Vampite: The Masquerade stuff. It's all visual novel/cyoa stuff so I'd assume it's great for the deck, but it shows as unsupported. Anyone tried any of them

Night Road is really good. I didn't dig Coteries of New York as much, felt a bit railroaded. I have not tried them on the Deck though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m going to open up my Deck to fix the L1 breakage and install the hall-effect joystick sensors. Anyone have any advice for the process? I’ve heard about backing the case screws off a bit when putting them back in, so they line up better with the existing holes and don’t loosen them further.

(I haven’t soldered in ages, this could be an expensive evening!)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Subjunctive posted:

I’m going to open up my Deck to fix the L1 breakage and install the hall-effect joystick sensors. Anyone have any advice for the process? I’ve heard about backing the case screws off a bit when putting them back in, so they line up better with the existing holes and don’t loosen them further.

Don't forget to pull the MicroSD card out before you try to pull the back cover off or you'll snap the fucker in half.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vegastar posted:

Don't forget to pull the MicroSD card out before you try to pull the back cover off or you'll snap the fucker in half.

Oh boy, thank you, I would have forgotten that and broken a terabyte into pieces.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

If you start soldering it will definitely be an expensive evening because none of that should require a soldering iron

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you start soldering it will definitely be an expensive evening because none of that should require a soldering iron

The joystick sensors need to have the lead for the capacitive touch cap thing de-soldered and moved to the new ones, I believe? That’s what it said on the Guilikit web site at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Opopanax posted:

They work, specifically, Coteries of New York works on the deck just fine, though it does seem like the text is a little small, you can change the scaling (but not resize the box within where the text is)

You can see what I mean here:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2022