Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

For those of you who've gotten farther into the game, is there ANY reason why this couldn't have been/be a direct sequel to Arkham Knight? It feels like it would've been find to set it five years later when the four BatFamily peeps had been working together on and off. I'm not seeing why this needed to be its "own thing" when it follows a premise closely setup by Arkham Knight.

As written it absolutely could not be. It's set in a very different kind of world much closer to the comics in some ways. You could take the same basic premise and write it post-Arkham but none of the characters or setting would be similar.

I suspect at some point it was intended as an Arkham Knight sequel but when they made it their own thing they veered extremely hard away from that and more into the kind of comics + TAS tone that the original Arkham Asylum had instead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

As written it absolutely could not be. It's set in a very different kind of world much closer to the comics in some ways. You could take the same basic premise and write it post-Arkham but none of the characters or setting would be similar.

I suspect at some point it was intended as an Arkham Knight sequel but when they made it their own thing they veered extremely hard away from that and more into the kind of comics + TAS tone that the original Arkham Asylum had instead.

Yea, i'm seeing that. It feels like they could've told the exact same story (so far) a couple of years after Arkham Knight. Even the name of the game seems to allude to it being connected: Arkham Origins->Arkham Asylum->Arkham City->Arkham Knight->Gotham Knights. It's a very minor criticism, if you'd even call it that, but I quite enjoy the Arkham Canon. It does some things they'd be too afraid to do in the comic books. Speaking of, I still need to read my Arkham Omnibus.

So far though, they game is quite dope. The combat simultaneously feels miles apart and yet very similar to Arkham combat. Dodge instead of countering, but there's still timed/perfect strikes and such. One thing I DO miss (unless it shows up later in the game?) is all the cool gadgets Batman had in the Arkham games. It gave the games, especially the first one, a cool Metroidvania feel to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, i'm seeing that. It feels like they could've told the exact same story (so far) a couple of years after Arkham Knight. Even the name of the game seems to allude to it being connected: Arkham Origins->Arkham Asylum->Arkham City->Arkham Knight->Gotham Knights. It's a very minor criticism, if you'd even call it that, but I quite enjoy the Arkham Canon. It does some things they'd be too afraid to do in the comic books. Speaking of, I still need to read my Arkham Omnibus.

So far though, they game is quite dope. The combat simultaneously feels miles apart and yet very similar to Arkham combat. Dodge instead of countering, but there's still timed/perfect strikes and such. One thing I DO miss (unless it shows up later in the game?) is all the cool gadgets Batman had in the Arkham games. It gave the games, especially the first one, a cool Metroidvania feel to them.

One thing I can comfortably without spoilers say they couldn't have done is let Tim Drake be gay since he's married to Barbara Gordon in the Arkham setting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I can comfortably without spoilers say they couldn't have done is let Tim Drake be gay since he's married to Barbara Gordon in the Arkham setting.

Tim Drake is gay in this? If so, that’s awesome!

One thing I’m really digging so far is Jason Todd’s/Red Hood’s portrayal. He’s not the angsty and whiny man baby that he is in AK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Tim Drake is gay in this? If so, that’s awesome!

One thing I’m really digging so far is Jason Todd’s/Red Hood’s portrayal. He’s not the angsty and whiny man baby that he is in AK.

Yep! There's even a really adorable email chain where Babs and Jason find out Dick is taking Tim to Pride and plan to go surprise him there.

Which ties into why Jason Todd in this game actually owns because "Loves his weird sorta-little-brother and supports him" Jason Todd is so much better than "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN" Jason Todd.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

Yep! There's even a really adorable email chain where Babs and Jason find out Dick is taking Tim to Pride and plan to go surprise him there.

Which ties into why Jason Todd in this game actually owns because "Loves his weird sorta-little-brother and supports him" Jason Todd is so much better than "CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN" Jason Todd.

Holy poo poo I love all of that! I do like how Jason is very protective and supportive of Tim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo I love all of that! I do like how Jason is very protective and supportive of Tim.

Yeah, it really owns. I thing a good chunk of why I had fun with the game is just the immensely positive interactions between the cast members.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does the game ever get less bullet/damage-spongey? I've beaten all the Arkham games on the hardest difficulties and those games still had enemies go down after two or three solid blows. This game I'm only playing on normal and i'm ping-ponging between mooks like i'm made of rubber and they're made of steel. Or should I just lower the difficulty?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Does the game ever get less bullet/damage-spongey? I've beaten all the Arkham games on the hardest difficulties and those games still had enemies go down after two or three solid blows. This game I'm only playing on normal and i'm ping-ponging between mooks like i'm made of rubber and they're made of steel. Or should I just lower the difficulty?

It really expects you to use specific counter attacks and elemental damage. If you do things go down quick but if not they soak damage

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ImpAtom posted:

It really expects you to use specific counter attacks and elemental damage. If you do things go down quick but if not they soak damage

Ok, I’m not quite that far yet. And still haven’t gotten a handle on the perfect dodge/strike techniques.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm actually kinda enjoying this game. I just did some coop with a friend and it was a blast. I wish it launched w/4 player coop because I can't wait to see that now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo! Cobblepot is voiced by Adam “I didn’t ask for this” Jensen. Bad rear end!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I don't know what the hell happened. Around level 12 or so I thought I'd try taking Nightwing out for a spin after playing only Batgirl and I found a premeditated crime that was just wild. Multiple drone enemies and thugs with cryo guns and regular guns and then also a couple heavies. It was all I could do to stay alive by dodging near constantly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Man, I don't know what the hell happened. Around level 12 or so I thought I'd try taking Nightwing out for a spin after playing only Batgirl and I found a premeditated crime that was just wild. Multiple drone enemies and thugs with cryo guns and regular guns and then also a couple heavies. It was all I could do to stay alive by dodging near constantly.

poo poo do your levels not carry over between characters? That basically put me off of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

poo poo do your levels not carry over between characters? That basically put me off of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Your levels do, If you only play as Bat Girl for the first 12 levels Nightwing will be level 12, I don't know if you get the suit blue prints for other characters though. But theoretically even if you don't the drops are levelled so you'd mostly be missing stuff you didn't need and should get level appropriate gear pretty quick.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Your levels do, If you only play as Bat Girl for the first 12 levels Nightwing will be level 12, I don't know if you get the suit blue prints for other characters though. But theoretically even if you don't the drops are levelled so you'd mostly be missing stuff you didn't need and should get level appropriate gear pretty quick.

I got some extra suit stuff for Barbara after getting her to level 4 but when I switched to Tim, he didn't have any cool suits unlocked and I think I'll have to use him more to unlock some suits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Levels scale but not unlocks. So you will need to make cool stuff for them separately. Though for the most part I am comfortable making this Nightwing the game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's funny that Batgirl hits like a tank. I think she's the best character to use since she basically shrugs off attacks.

I got the Nightwing back flip dodge and knock down enemies move and that's so nice for those annoying quick enemies. I also got a pair of sticks that builds up electricity so fast and is so fun to use.

I think I'm just about done with the main story. It's pretty predictable but the Bat family is great. Give me a sequel with Batwoman, Stephanie and Cassandra next. Oh and Damian.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

It's funny that Batgirl hits like a tank. I think she's the best character to use since she basically shrugs off attacks.

I got the Nightwing back flip dodge and knock down enemies move and that's so nice for those annoying quick enemies. I also got a pair of sticks that builds up electricity so fast and is so fun to use.

I think I'm just about done with the main story. It's pretty predictable but the Bat family is great. Give me a sequel with Batwoman, Stephanie and Cassandra next. Oh and Damian.

Without spoilers, do you think there's much to do after the story is over? I'm hoping for something like Arkham or Spider-Man where you're just able to play around and beat up criminals.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Without spoilers, do you think there's much to do after the story is over? I'm hoping for something like Arkham or Spider-Man where you're just able to play around and beat up criminals.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I think you can keep getting new investigations for loot and there are some villain cases you can do whenever you want. So if you're just looking to roam around and beat up people yeah. Or collectible hunting. But don't expect much in the way of story content.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I really wish was faster was manual aim. When you're in the middle of a fight and you spot an explosive barrel an enemy is standing next to you really have to commit to shooting at it because of how long the targeting reticule takes to come out. That or firing headshots. Must be kind of frustrating for Red Hood players.

TwoPair posted:

The game says the levels carry over but it's easy to miss. It was mostly because the enemy variety and intensity ratcheted up out of nowhere and my inexperience and lack of gear/upgrades/playtime with Nightwing that it felt overwhelming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
non lethal explosive barrels

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lobok posted:

One thing I really wish was faster was manual aim. When you're in the middle of a fight and you spot an explosive barrel an enemy is standing next to you really have to commit to shooting at it because of how long the targeting reticule takes to come out. That or firing headshots. Must be kind of frustrating for Red Hood players.

The game says the levels carry over but it's easy to miss. It was mostly because the enemy variety and intensity ratcheted up out of nowhere and my inexperience and lack of gear/upgrades/playtime with Nightwing that it felt overwhelming.

I think the intention behind the aiming is that it’s really for long distance only. You can just throw mooks into exploding barrels and other poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

site posted:

non lethal explosive barrels

I love how in video game reality exploding barrels are so ubiquitous and are just laying around everywhere. Maybe real life is like that and I just never noticed being surrounded by explosives everywhere I go.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chaosapiant posted:

I think the intention behind the aiming is that it’s really for long distance only. You can just throw mooks into exploding barrels and other poo poo.

Throwing requires even more time being vulnerable and needs the enemy to be low health. Assuming you even can grab them, because heavies can't be grabbed.

The regular ranged attacks are capable of blowing up barrels but I haven't figured out how to do it consistently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Every car you see is like an explosive barrel on wheels!

Teslas are just like exposed service panels!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

The levels carry over and you get gear for everyone for completing cases, but the biggest problem is that the "ultimate" is also locked behind the fast travel mechanic. And you really need that when it gets later in the game. They really messed up in making you have to do activities for every character to get that. Later in the game I wanted to try out Red Hood but it felt so bad not having a travel mechanic and he could really only handle lower difficulty challenges because of not having that fourth skill tree open.

So yeah if you plan on switching up characters then unlock that 4th skill tree ASAP early in the game, otherwise even though everyone levels up at the same time, those characters without it aren't gonna be able to handle difficult encounters.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The game really does seem to one to drive home that these four in the BatFam are sadistic murderers. Throwing mooks off a ledge is a viable move. And unlike Batman, they don't toss down a grapnel to prevent the enemy from falling. And RedHood shoots people in the face. I don't know why, but this rubs me the wrong way. There's tons of memes/jokes about how "non-lethal" Batman was in the Arkham games, but at least those games tried to lampshade that poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

chaosapiant posted:

The game really does seem to one to drive home that these four in the BatFam are sadistic murderers. Throwing mooks off a ledge is a viable move. And unlike Batman, they don't toss down a grapnel to prevent the enemy from falling. And RedHood shoots people in the face. I don't know why, but this rubs me the wrong way. There's tons of memes/jokes about how "non-lethal" Batman was in the Arkham games, but at least those games tried to lampshade that poo poo.

Yeah Batman's dead so his way doesn't seem great

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Red Hood uses Rubber Bullets.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I know the deluxe edition probably isn’t worth the extra $20, but I’m having a lot of fun with the extra clothing options. Mostly the Bat kids of Zur-En-Arrh, or arctic attack Nightwing.

The online quick play option is also a lot of fun to just jump into someone’s game and tag along for a little bit, busting heads, and solving crimes.

It’s not an amazing game, but I’m firmly in the niche this game is made for, so I’m having a great time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I bought the deluxe edition. I hate knowing there’s content out there I don’t have no matter how trivial. So with most new game purchases, I just consider whatever the most inclusive version of the game as “the game.”

Edit: After trying and failing four times in a row to get one of the Batman Data Caches, I checked my control config and realized that YES there is indeed a sprint option. I was so used to it being to just hold "A" from Arkham that i'd been mindlessly still holding "A" and only doing the casual jog everywhere.

Edit Edit: Jesus Christ these Batman log/audio files get super loving depressing. :(

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 24, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm having a blast with this game, honestly. It's pretty dark in tone and color, a change from the brightness from Spider-Man. I'm digging it!

I didn't think I'd like the new Harley, but I do. Her creepiness is at max level in this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just spent a few hours unlocking the Knighthood tree on Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin. That was a ton of work, but I'm glad I got it done now in case I want to play them later. For now, though, I'm excited to continue playing this as a Nightwing game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Red Hood uses Rubber Bullets.

He does. There is even a scene with him and Tim where they are working out how to make them effective against body armor without making them lethal.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

ImpAtom posted:

He does. There is even a scene with him and Tim where they are working out how to make them effective against body armor without making them lethal.

How does that work?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

How does that work?!

Mumble mumble gel mumble mumble special materials mumble.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

omg chael crash posted:

How does that work?!

He dips the bullets in the Lazarus Pit which lets them double jump through the armour.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I just spent a few hours unlocking the Knighthood tree on Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin. That was a ton of work, but I'm glad I got it done now in case I want to play them later. For now, though, I'm excited to continue playing this as a Nightwing game.

I find it funny that they claim Dick's traversal is a glider when he just straight up flies. You can gain altitude and never lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it just me or is Njghtwing's extended dodge sequence not very controllable? With upgrades you get that AoE slam attack at the end of it but I find directing Nightwing into the right spot for that slam pretty tricky. So far it works best if I have a spot in mind that's mostly in a straight line some distance away from me.

Lobok posted:

The regular ranged attacks are capable of blowing up barrels but I haven't figured out how to do it consistently.

This turns out was just my poor aim. If you're precise with pointing towards a barrel rather than the enemy next to it you'll blow it up every time.