Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

qhat posted:

So is a general election even remotely plausible? Are there enough Tory MPs who would happily sink the party this week because they above all else hate Rishi Sunak?

Probably not, no. No MP wants to lose their seat, and if they sink the government, they probably lose their seat based on how things look right now.

I think the only way realistically a GE happens is if Tory MPs come to the conclusion that if they collapse the government they personally might win their own constituency, but won't if they let the government carry on. I don't see that happening personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Almost certainly not. Boris dropping out should calm things down in the parliamentary party unless and until Rishi fucks something up Truss style. Even his partisans are shifting to try to be on the winning side (cf Zahawi, Nadhim).

The wider party is going to go berserk, couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of arseholes.

In terms of stuff actually affecting people, if Rishi looks adequately competent and in control, it’s likely the markets will stop shorting UK assets quite so heavily. Inflation will still be out of control and interest rates rising because that’s the world in 2022 and Brexit extremely doesn’t help, but the extra “gently caress you” to the UK that caused the death spiral will hopefully trail off.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

gently caress "aspirational", it's a psyop - an actual one, not a made up one. You want things for everybody and not just for you? Well, guess you're not "aspirational" then

The "aspirational" part is wanting to be Prime Minister because you enjoy the prospect of trampling the visages of your enemies (i.e. the poor) into the ground.
This is different from doing so as part of a senior leadership role in a corporation because you have the veneer of a mandate smeared across your face groin while doing so.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
About the only revenge-blow possible would be if 100 decided to back Mordaunt by tomorrow just to try to force it to a partywide ballot, reasoning that the base would decide en masse that since Truss worked so well, another at-least-she's-not-Sunak placeholder would be fine.

Trouble is, as the Nadine Dorries tweet from the last page demonstrates, Borisites aren't happy with Mordaunt right now, either. How dare she not simply bend the knee and make a deal with the rightful PM, right? So, with Sunak carrying a substantial lead, an anyone-but-Sunak eleventh-hour insurgency would be stirring up chaos for chaos's sake and likely not change the end result.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If Boris spiked Mordaunts chances to force Rishi in, the tories lose their entire base and the party will eat itself. We all said he was a vindictive little prick willing to detonate the party just to spite them, and I really, really hope that this is how that ends up looking.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having the promise of boris dangling over you makes people go weird.
Please do not make people picture Boris dangling over them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The binbag of damocles.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

If the Tories are unable to maintain a stable government but also completely unwilling to give up power until they absolutely have to it raises the question can the UK just like, not have a government for the next two years?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arguably it already did that during may's tenure, as they were never able to actually make concrete progress on the key issue of her term but neither were they willing to accept that until the very last minute, so the government just kept voting itself into confidence but down a lot of its significant legislation.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Random Integer posted:

If the Tories are unable to maintain a stable government but also completely unwilling to give up power until they absolutely have to it raises the question can the UK just like, not have a government for the next two years?

They have to pass a budget but other than that the civil service can manage the decline all by themselves

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Arguably it already did that during may's tenure, as they were never able to actually make concrete progress on the key issue of her term but neither were they willing to accept that until the very last minute, so the government just kept voting itself into confidence but down a lot of its significant legislation.

Jesus Id completely forgotten about May. Really remarkable that the British public saw the Tories openly demonstrating they were nothing but a collection of spiteful, self-serving fucks and decided they were exactly the people to give a massive majority to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean she did do some other things, I think, but yeah for the purposes of the news cycle her government was basically two years of failure to make any progress on brexit, repeatedly losing votes on her flagship brexit efforts, culminating with the farce at the end of her term where they held multiple rapidfire votes to approve any possible plan whatsoever and they failed every single one of them, then she eventually quit and boris got in, sacked half the conservative party, and somehow managed to win a massive majority on the platform of "I can sort it I've got an "oven ready" deal just give me a majority" despite all evidence to the contrary.

So yes, the british public are thicker than pig poo poo.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

the british public are thicker than pig poo poo.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boris Johnson as a person was popular in 2019. He's an incompetent idiot, but he was about as popular as a political Basil Fawlty could be. This is in contrast with Theresa May, who was not only incompetent but also devoid of any charisma or likeability whatsoever. The average British person really doesn't think deeper than that, but I'm glad that the markets are finally punishing the UK for repeatedly voting for stupid things. Just goes to show just how low global confidence in the country has fallen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would prefer it if the market would specifically punish the stupid people rather than me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I would prefer it if the market would specifically punish the stupid people rather than me.

Maybe people will stop voting for dumb poo poo when they realize it actually has consequences on them personally...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hahhaahhaha spat out me rice pudding

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If I was a boomer and I watched and listen to the poo poo they do every day I'd probably vote Tory all the time too.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“The markets” now finally coming out and stating the hard fact everyone has been pretending doesn’t exist.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1584432670108680192

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/24/conservative-leadership-grownup-politics-poverty

(Phone posting so sorry no snippet)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol that the guardian has now moved to "you need to register to read but it's deffo not a paywall" after their previous efforts have failed to get anyone to pay for their lovely paper.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

OwlFancier posted:

lol that the guardian has now moved to "you need to register to read but it's deffo not a paywall" after their previous efforts have failed to get anyone to pay for their lovely paper.

They've had something like that for months. You've always been able to just click the sure I'll do it later button.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

qhat posted:

Maybe people will stop voting for dumb poo poo when they realize it actually has consequences on them personally...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Most Tory voters are retirees with fixed incomes from their pension annuities and paid-off houses they own outright. The people who actually participate in the economy have been voting labour and screaming brexit was a mistake since 2016, but the critical mass of comfortable retirees is dragging us down with them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1584442717878177792

:allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

“The markets” now finally coming out and stating the hard fact everyone has been pretending doesn’t exist.

You mean Brexit was... bad? :monocle:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah just click the 'do it later' button. Independent has something similar but Indie also have a separate paid 'premium' section (articles with blue headlines) which you can get round if you're Fast-fingered Fanny as my nan used to say and press the 'stop loading' button quickly.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Please could someone repost the video of Nad's heart breaking as Boris pulls out

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

notaspy posted:

Please could someone repost the video of Nad's heart breaking as Boris pulls out

Definite NMS warning here

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

If only the young Margaret Roberts had reacted better to having to share her sweeties.

You could draw a straight line.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1584444397810495489

:allears:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
^^^ I know words are just words, but still: murdered by words.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Hamza_a96/status/1584266737562062848

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1584283941422628864

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 24, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

qhat posted:

So is a general election even remotely plausible? Are there enough Tory MPs who would happily sink the party this week because they above all else hate Rishi Sunak?

I doubt they would for themselves, but maybe if enough of their gammon constituents scream at them loudly enough? ...

I doubt it, but it is a lovely thought.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DrKarenzaMoore/status/1584452217385676800

This is really bad

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I mean she did do some other things, I think, but yeah for the purposes of the news cycle her government was basically two years of failure to make any progress on brexit, repeatedly losing votes on her flagship brexit efforts, culminating with the farce at the end of her term where they held multiple rapidfire votes to approve any possible plan whatsoever and they failed every single one of them, then she eventually quit and boris got in, sacked half the conservative party, and somehow managed to win a massive majority on the platform of "I can sort it I've got an "oven ready" deal just give me a majority" despite all evidence to the contrary.

So yes, the british public are thicker than pig poo poo.

It's not so much that the public is thick. It's just that they have been raised to love licking boots and following people with posh accents.

What's happening with the Tory Government is that scene from the Inbetweeners.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So only 4 and a half hours to find out if Mordaunt got enough nominations. Seems unlikely at this point

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Only Kindness posted:

If only the young Margaret Roberts had reacted better to having to share her sweeties.

You could draw a straight line.

From where to where? Thatcher was pro-Europe as far as trade integration was concerned, she just didn't support a political union.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/ginamartinuk/status/1584378183369232384

I wish someone would arrest all these people going around screaming "I would rather be arrested than behave like a decent person for a second"

Scrapping aviation safety red tape might solve the Farage problem.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I think we might get a general election. The Boris headbangers and the frothing Brexit loons might not be able to contain themselves enough to stomach 2 years of Sunak. Plus the membership are having the guy they specifically voted against a month ago foisted on them. Spicy times ahead.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

From where to where? Thatcher was pro-Europe as far as trade integration was concerned, she just didn't support a political union.

It's a bit more complicated IMO, the rebate was more about money transfers than a political union. Although I suppose they are connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Brexit really is the gift that keeps on giving.