Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I loved all of the Master’s lines when he was brought in to UNIT, but the simplicity of him interrupting a train of thought to turn to Kate with “Your Dad was an idiot” might be my favourite line Chibnall’s ever written.

Also, him playing at being the Doctor with overtones of a controlling/abusive partner really got under my skin and felt properly villainous in a way I rarely feel with Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was a lot of fun. Easily my favorite Chibnall episode. All the cameos were great and fairly well done.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Forktoss posted:

Reading some of the official press around Tennant's return, it's interesting that RTD refers to Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor and Gatwa as the Fifteenth. Something weird is definitely going on (especially with how their clothes change), and it could very well be some Dark Dimension hijinks or some other outside interference, but it sounds like this is supposed to be a legitimate incarnation and not just a glitch or an intermediate form of some kind. Or maybe Russell's just stirring the pot! Also, I don't know if this was previously confirmed but it seems the three Tennant specials will all be airing in November 2023 and then Gatwa's first episode in the "festive period" of 2023 (I'll bet RTD is hard at work trying to get the end-of-year special back to Christmas but the schedules aren't locked in yet). So by the sound of it we might be getting four whole episodes next year?

I really wish he wouldn't do that and I also wish Moffat didn't acknowledge Ten's semi-regeneration as regeneration as well.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
For anyone who missed it, the first official footage of Ncuti was uploaded to the Doctor Who Instagram and YouTube.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 24, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Matinee posted:

Also, him playing at being the Doctor with overtones of a controlling/abusive partner really got under my skin and felt properly villainous in a way I rarely feel with Doctor Who.

The moment when he's screaming in Yaz's face, her face goes completely blank and then she just winces after he turns away was deeply, deeply disturbing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The moment when he's screaming in Yaz's face, her face goes completely blank and then she just winces after he turns away was deeply, deeply disturbing.

Yeah, there's a moment where he starts channeling Whittaker that's properly disturbing.

Lol that Whttaker was upstaged in her final episode, she's barely in the last third. Come on.

Still liked it a lot though

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there going to be any way to watch the special on streaming in the us anytime soon?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Updog Scully posted:

For anyone who missed it, the first official footage of Ncuti was uploaded to the Doctor Who Instagram.

He seems like he can really bring that Serious Doctor like Eccelston or Capaldi. A needed palate cleanser after the niceness of Jodie, much like Pertwee coming after Troughton. Might be a bit presumptive to judge on two seconds of footage, but the EYEBROWS shot of Capaldi in Day of the Doctor pretty well told us what we were getting.

As to the last episode, like I said, Chibnall nailed it. He had one brilliant episode in him after all. To be fair, Diwan carried sooo much of it, but Chibnall wrote this Master so he deserves credit. I particularly loved the comments to Tegan, Ace, and Kate. They should have him show up to Graham's Companion Anonymous meetings and roast everyone! Ra Ra Rasputin was gloriously John Simm, and when I realized where they were going with it that was probably the moment I got totally on board.

It can be exceedingly difficult to do something as weighty as bringing back former Companions and multiple Doctors. To give due to the emotional reunion while still telling a story and not get sidetracked with an "everything but the kitchen sink" mess. I would not have imagined Chibnall would have the chops to pull it off, but he did. It was a clever way to bring back the Fiveish Doctors, and it's always great to see Bradley channel Hartnell. As much as I still want an 8 series, I now want to see Sylvester back...the so inhabits the role of 7 and he's still got it! Big Finish also needs to get on an "Adventures of Ace and Tegan" box set (and Jo, since she pretty much has been doing the same Protecting Earth gig). Amazing to see William Russell too...the only guy left from Day One Episode One.

It was a bit contrived that everyone would just bail when the Doctor was out cold, and the way she pushed Yaz out, but I suppose the All By Myself regeneration is needed now when you switch showrunners, to give a clean slate.

It was very wise of Chibnall to avoid his Timeless Child plot. Jo Martin was used well though, perhaps the only good thing to come of it. It could have been tempting for him to either try to retcon it out as the main plot of this, or double down on it, but he didn't. Jodie got to go out in a very 13 way, relying on her Fam to save the day, which was really (as far as I could tell, having dipped out the last couple years,) the theme of this Doctor. A shame the goggle wearing engineer Doctor which seemed to have been an intended trait but which was dropped only came in as a callback though.

I definitely have high hopes for RTD2, and it's great he's getting a great lead-in to the new era.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All my opinions on this special have been superceded by a single take from the very last minute of the show.

Cleretic posted:

The_Doctor posted:

Ah ha, apparently they didn’t show the regeneration.

Obviously to hide that Ncuti is just a feint to make sure people don't reveal the real new Doctor.

Who is, of course, the hugely fan-requested David Tennant Again.

well mothergently caress me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stuck the landing. Amazing ep.

Good job Chibnall.

loving give Yaz a hug though Doc, jesus christ.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dhawan just might be my favourite Master.

Dude is just a walking talking threatening aura.

"I can absolutely categorically pinky-promisey confirm this is no empty threat"
"Your Dad was an idiot"
"Yes yes take me away, you'll all feel safer with ME in the BUILDING"
"Just trying to lighten the tone before you all die"

Straight up villain.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's brilliant in the role.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Infinitum posted:

Dhawan just might be my favourite Master.

Dude is just a walking talking threatening aura.

"I can absolutely categorically pinky-promisey confirm this is no empty threat"
"Your Dad was an idiot"
"Yes yes take me away, you'll all feel safer with ME in the BUILDING"
"Just trying to lighten the tone before you all die"

Straight up villain.

For me it's a toss-up between him and Missy, though tbf pretty much all of them are great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It takes some genuine talent to still nail the Boney M joke, despite us all seeing it coming from eighteen miles away.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Master + Russian Queen
The Doctor + English Queen

:thunk:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Oh man, since the degeneration back into Jodie the regeneration mechanism's stuck in reverse gear. Tennant had better look after himself or he'll end up turning into McCoy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wyld Karde posted:

Oh man, since the degeneration back into Jodie the regeneration mechanism's stuck in reverse gear. Tennant had better look after himself or he'll end up turning into McCoy.

there's a terrible banking commercial rotating through my podcasts right now that's along the lines of "My father in law has to accept me if I dress just like him!"

:thunk:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I know it's not an original take, but I liked Whittaker as the Doctor and hated the writing of the show. I might have bailed before her first series even wrapped up.

I don't know if RTD can bring back the Good Old Days and maybe Tennant is just a bridge to the new guy to get fans back onboard with a BIG HYPE TWIST SEE YOU IN 2023, but at least it's a recognition that poo poo wasn't working?

:iiam:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CommonShore posted:

For me it's a toss-up between him and Missy, though tbf pretty much all of them are great

Yeah, I was thinking about this too. I love Missy and Michelle Gomez can do no wrong, but Dhawan managed to combine her penchant for cruelty with Simm’s cheerfully unhinged shtick and then add that volcanic rage. He’s like a horror movie antagonist in the best way.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I don't know if RTD can bring back the Good Old Days and maybe Tennant is just a bridge to the new guy to get fans back onboard with a BIG HYPE TWIST SEE YOU IN 2023, but at least it's a recognition that poo poo wasn't working?

I think that's entirely it. The 60th anniversary allows for bringing back the most recently popular Doctor, but I also think Davies wants to make a big bang to get eyes on the show again.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dabir posted:

While all of the plot contrivances and plot holes you mentioned are there and more, it's still Chibnall's best. That's how mediocre the man has been.

I’d probably say his best was The Power of Three, which works great until the ending which was ruined by things outside Chibnall’s control. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship had better pacing and plotting, though less ambition or character work. Eve of the Daleks had a remarkably good plot and some good (if deeply frustrating) character work. I think Power of Three best displays his tendencies to want to explore characters outside the traditional structures of the program, which would explain his desire to write a “Doctor who upholds the establishment” retroactively into the lore (though doing it as an Irish policeman is an odd choice).

Again, I did like the episode, but not for plot related reasons. If RTD recasts the Master, Dhawan has had a great showcase, and I only wish Chibnall had been as good writing for Whittaker.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
One thing that the early part of this story made me realize I'll miss is a TARDIS crew that's genuinely friendly and earnest. That super brief segment where the Doctor and Yaz genuinely congratulate Dan on his landing made me so happy, and I realized that's because Thirteen's the only recent Doctor that really fosters that sort of attitude, while previous revival Doctors have always been too serious or too detached.

I'm gonna miss having a Doctor that just feels like a dorky best friend.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slightly disappointed Master!Doc didn't break out The Coat, but I guess it didn't fit the occasion

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Astroman posted:

It was a clever way to bring back the Fiveish Doctors

I think this is why I liked this episode so much. Felt like an official Five-ish Doctors sequel, especially with the lovably corny Classic-era acting and dialogue. The Master's plan felt like the kind of thing they would make for an in-universe Five-ish Doctors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh another thing -

I caught cameos or nods to docs 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 and 10 along the way. Were there any references to Pertwee or the other revival docs that slipped by me?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CommonShore posted:

Oh another thing -

I caught cameos or nods to docs 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 and 10 along the way. Were there any references to Pertwee or the other revival docs that slipped by me?

Does Jo being in the Companions Anonymous meeting count for Pertwee?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

It’s a testament to the quality of the actors who’ve played The Master that it’s consistently very hard to rank them from least favourite to favourite. Aside from the crispy Masters being the least favourite and Roger Delgado being at the very top.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Oh another thing -

The Master is 3's main villain. And UNIT is his main setting.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My immediate reaction to how they're handling this is that I hope it isn't a new persona / Doctor wearing the 10th Doctor's face because that would be weird. If you're bringing back Tennant, then just make it the 10th Doctor through ~shenanigans~

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

My immediate reaction to how they're handling this is that I hope it isn't a new persona / Doctor wearing the 10th Doctor's face because that would be weird. If you're bringing back Tennant, then just make it the 10th Doctor through ~shenanigans~

You can pretty easily handwave that it is a new incarnation, but because of the physical similarity to Ten, they act fairly similar. Or even make it a plot point that the Doctor wants to be Ten, but it's not quite clicking, which leads into the regen into Ncuti, where he's able to be comfortable being someone new again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Money on 2ennant's last words being either "Now I can go" or "I still don't want to go!"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Payndz posted:

Money on 2ennant's last words being either "Now I can go" or "I still don't want to go!"

"Why did I want to stay??" when he loses control of the situation and realizes he needs to change.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
more like the Time Lord Vainglorious

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flight Bisque posted:

More Like The Time Lord Vainglorious

Keep this is mind for the 60th Special thread title

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there going to be any way to watch the special on streaming in the us anytime soon?

AMC+ has it.

This was...a good send-off? It's kind of wild to get this kind of quality from Chibnall, given what we've seen from him. Also, it's been confirmed that Gatwa will be portraying the FIFTEENTH Doctor, just to gently caress with everything.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ve finished up reading The Tenth Planet, and while it doesn’t stray far from the TV serial it is a far superior adaption than The Dalek Invasion of Earth. The plot moves at a snappy rate but the book is rich in detail and provides a bit of background on the main characters along with telling us what they’re thinking in certain scenes.

The only real negative I can say is that unfortunately it uses some very outdated language describing the black astronaut, along with the Doctors new appearance.

One thing I did notice is that it is far more violent than the TV serial - the standard Doctor Who shoulder chop of death is replaced by the Cyberman shattering half the bones in the guys body and drat near decapitating him. His head is describing is nearly hanging off at a grotesque angle, and another solider is beaten to death by another Cyberman with his own crowbar; his skull being crushed like an egg.

It also backports some later features from the Cybermen into this story. The cyber leader has a black helmet, they can stun people by firing electrical rays from their heads, their main weapons are carbine style guns, and their spaceships are missile shaped.

Overall an enjoyable read, and I’m eagerly launching myself into Doctor Who and the Cybernyan.

Looking for additional books on eBay has lead me down the dark rabbit hole of Doctor Who book covers, and while most do make use of artistic licence, some are just :psyduck:

The artwork makes sense for the most part, but what have the Bogdanoff twins have to do with this? And desert chrome, really?

Not sure what to say about this one. It’s also a cover for The Daleks.

Has the artist even seen a Dalek before? Why does UNIT have a spaceship? What is that monkey like monster supposed to be? I have so many questions.

I would however love to see this swole version of Spearhead from Space.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Payndz posted:

That last line was the last straw that tipped me over into hating 10. Moffat had a decent go at reframing it in Day of the Doctor, but if RTD can make amends with something like the first option maybe after settling his unfinished business with Donna I'd appreciate that.

LOL if RTD instead goes for the second option though and hamstrings his own new Doctor in the same way he did Matt Smith.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So when's Ncuti's first episode going to be as the ACTUAL 14th Doctor?

2025?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AndyElusive posted:

So when's Ncuti's first episode going to be as the ACTUAL 14th Doctor?

2025?

PROBABLY Christmas 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Why did I want to stay??" when he loses control of the situation and realizes he needs to change.

"I'm ready to go."

Episode was great. Really loved pretty much everything about it. The old companions, the old Doctors, Jodie finally getting some good writing and getting to repair some stuff (which should have been her "thing" for her whole run), just loved it. The Master being Rasputin (and that explaining why he may have been difficult to kill) is an idea so great, I'm surprised it took them so long to get to. And lots of little moments, like this:

Ace, to The Master: “Last time I saw you, you were part cat!”
Master: “…a man’s allowed to experiment.”

Old Who sounds WILD!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 24, 2022