Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why is tire guy being filmed doing a routine and otherwise uninteresting task?

Must be the new guy.

Tire shop mechanics thrive on pranks. It's the only way to tolerate the poo poo pay and customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1ZUoaG1LI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

That's what you get for trying to put your greasy hands on the glass to open a door, instead of the handle or frame.

Amen. That wouldn't have happened if they had used the handle that is right there. gently caress em

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Must be the new guy.

Tire shop mechanics thrive on pranks. It's the only way to tolerate the poo poo pay and customers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1ZUoaG1LI

This. Especially busting tires is super tedious. Gotta do something to pass time.
You gotta have thick skin to work as a green tech.
Tho pranks are usually signs of endearment and acceptance.
I'd worry more if nobody picked on or hosed with you. That means legit people don't like u.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Serephina posted:

What arrests his fall at the end? Surely it's not just the other guy catching him, the angle is too steep?

Also what is that twine he was using at the start? I need to ask my rock climbing friends wtf is going on here.

He either back clipped like this or one of his cams came out. Those ropes are also perfectly safe despite how "small" they look, they are dynamic so they stretch as you fall so it helps with force distribution. What arrests his fall is as he climbs he places gear or protections, you can see stuff hanging off his harness and those are "cams" or "nuts". You place multiple pieces as you go and generally if it's a climb with a gear rating that is pg 13 or R, if you fall some pieces are going to get dislodged and you just end up falling till you get to a piece that doesn't come out and your belayer catches your fall there. Worst case scenario everything comes out and you go past your anchor but an anchor should be something that is absolutely bombproof so despite the long fall you should get caught and be fine. People have taken full rope length falls and been fine.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Preoptopus posted:

This. Especially busting tires is super tedious. Gotta do something to pass time.
I'd worry more if nobody picked on or hosed with you. That means legit people don't like u.

I busted semi tires for a while. Honestly, aside from the weight, way easier to change than a car tire (this was before super singles were common).

I miss the weird little community you get working at a truck stop sometimes. Good people. poo poo pay. Everyone is a comedian by the end of their first week or they don't last a month. Maybe it's changed in 20 years, but I doubt it. Not a job I'd go back to without winning the lottery though. Truck stops are some of the purest people watching locations in all the world.

Once saw a pretty famous band come into one of the truck stops I worked in, absolutely hosed up the store, left a stack of cash on the counter on the way out the door. No one called cops, everyone that cleaned it up went home with a $100 bill in their pocket. Pretty good for two hours work in 2001.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Preoptopus posted:

I usually go to Discount Tire, and the techs in the 4 joined bays always have music just blasting incredibly loud and singing along really loud and constantly in motion, but not all of them really doing anything. It gave me the impression that despite the physical labor, it must be a really boring job.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I usually go to Discount Tire, and the techs in the 4 joined bays always have music just blasting incredibly loud and singing along really loud and constantly in motion, but not all of them really doing anything. It gave me the impression that despite the physical labor, it must be a really boring job.

Discount is very specific in how they do things. They have it to a science which is why they are the monster they have become. They are all about efficiency so im sure everyone has a specific task and they have 4 guys to a car. I busted tires at a sears auto center and that was run on with a very loose 80s mentality. (Which is why they arnt around anymore) We had way more fun than thoes guys can dream about.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

B-Rock452 posted:

He either back clipped like this or one of his cams came out. Those ropes are also perfectly safe despite how "small" they look, they are dynamic so they stretch as you fall so it helps with force distribution. What arrests his fall is as he climbs he places gear or protections, you can see stuff hanging off his harness and those are "cams" or "nuts". You place multiple pieces as you go and generally if it's a climb with a gear rating that is pg 13 or R, if you fall some pieces are going to get dislodged and you just end up falling till you get to a piece that doesn't come out and your belayer catches your fall there. Worst case scenario everything comes out and you go past your anchor but an anchor should be something that is absolutely bombproof so despite the long fall you should get caught and be fine. People have taken full rope length falls and been fine.

Those zipper type cascading failures are the worst. It is a very distinct set of sounds and everything just goes into slow motion until you finally hit. Even if you just climb too far above your last point it hurts like a motherfucker falling on lead. Also leads to soiled belayer pants. There was one route we used to climb that went up and then almost straight parallel to the ground out, then a little ledge to the next place to clip and if you popped off before you clipped you had just enough rope to not hit the ground. Super fun. Plus with the dynamic ropes it converts the energy of the fall into a swing so you get extra spicy rock encounters on that kind of fall.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ve heard Discount Tire is a relatively good place to work, at least for that kind of job, and maybe doesn’t poo poo on their people as much as a lot of other places, C/D?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

Discount is very specific in how they do things. They have it to a science which is why they are the monster they have become. They are all about efficiency so im sure everyone has a specific task and they have 4 guys to a car. I busted tires at a sears auto center and that was run on with a very loose 80s mentality. (Which is why they arnt around anymore) We had way more fun than thoes guys can dream about.

Its wild how good they are at just getting cars in and out. I used to use Costco, and they would be a half day turn around on just about anything, but DT is about an hour.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yep.

Words are symbols too. In the USA, instead of using arbitrary graphics as if our road signs are navy signal flags, we just put words on the signs. They're instantly comprehensible to anyone who speaks english, and to anyone who doesn't, they take about the same amount of time to learn.

Like if some Russian is driving around in America they will quickly learn that the sign with a red bar over the thing that looks like a cyrillic Р means no parking here. That's no more difficult than assigning the same meaning to the red x on a blue field or whatever.

Once again perpetuating the mistaken belief that driving needs not be learned.

There's a loving reason US licenses aren't valid in most the EU. Your lack of driver ed combined with throughput-centric infra is real deadly combo.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

mischief posted:

Those zipper type cascading failures are the worst. It is a very distinct set of sounds and everything just goes into slow motion until you finally hit. Even if you just climb too far above your last point it hurts like a motherfucker falling on lead. Also leads to soiled belayer pants. There was one route we used to climb that went up and then almost straight parallel to the ground out, then a little ledge to the next place to clip and if you popped off before you clipped you had just enough rope to not hit the ground. Super fun. Plus with the dynamic ropes it converts the energy of the fall into a swing so you get extra spicy rock encounters on that kind of fall.
My longest fall was something like that, long run out to top bolts, got there, drew a bunch of rope up to clip in and just completely missed. Ended up having my feet just gently kiss the ground.

Also that climb you are describing kind of sounds like Yum Yum Yab Yum, super easy to do the traverse if you were like 4 feet off the ground but up 3 pitches it's a bit spicy.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I don't get ropes, why does the difference in how they clip matter here?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shooting Blanks posted:

But...why is he trying to split the rock?

Final exam at the School of Rock.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Because ropes and physics are both stupid, one of them will cause itself to cinch up tightly into a clean one-way knot, and the other one will say hurtful things to you about your childhood hero.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DelphiAegis posted:

there's a movie about ropes, it's called Touching the Void

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

Think of what will happen if the person falls. They will fall down and away from the wall so once the person falls past that clip, the rope itself can become unclipped because the rope will hit the gate of the carabiner and open it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

DelphiAegis posted:

It's all in the physics.

In the first image a falling rope puts pressure on the moving part of the clip, forcing it open and causing the rope to slip out of the clip.
In the second, the falling rope puts pressure on a sturdy bit of metal stopping the fall.

efb: Should have refreshed the thread before posting.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 24, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/WidebandMaid/status/1584261932000739328

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Everyone commenting on the tire clip is focusing on the money shot, and nobody says anything about the footwear. Looks like an after hours, having drinks, buddy owns a tire shop, let's see if I can use his stuff kind of deal. The camera was part of the setup.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Oh no.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

:sickos:

B33rChiller posted:

Everyone commenting on the tire clip is focusing on the money shot, and nobody says anything about the footwear. Looks like an after hours, having drinks, buddy owns a tire shop, let's see if I can use his stuff kind of deal. The camera was part of the setup.

Lol. Safety sandals.

You wouldn't need steel toes in a tire shop, but carelessly dropping a 1/2" pneumatic impact on your foot will make you invest in a pair.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:ohno:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Finally a box of cereal with a decent toy surprise

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

aren't there locking clips that will not get opened by a sliding rope?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

By popular demand posted:

Not all carabineers have locks, so it's best to set up as if none do.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

By popular demand posted:

Those are generally used for attaching a belay device to your harness or clipping into an anchor. Generally if you follow that diagram you will be completely fine. I guess in theory you could use locking clips but they tend to weigh more and can be super hard to manipulate. You might be clipping in while in some weird position or wearing gloves while ice climbing. Really hard to manipulate the locking carabiner with one hand in those situations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's definitely important to learn the best practices of every dangerous activity but if anyone tries to get me to depend on non locking carabiners for my safety then I'll kick them off the cliff myself.

I am determined to die in a towering inferno of my own making and no thrifty rear end in a top hat is denying me because 'the plain carabiners are good enough'

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much photographic evidence of activity. They’re gonna lose at least that hand.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Sammus posted:

Holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much photographic evidence of activity. They’re gonna lose at least that hand.

It's fake, per comments/replies

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

It's fake, per comments/replies

Ahhhh good to know. Also, apparently if it had been real the dead pixels would have been evenly distributed across the image.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sammus posted:

It's fake. If it were real the whole sensor would be noisy, not just localized around the object.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another variant of that has been floating around for a while, no idea if it's real though

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DelphiAegis posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LastOffensiveEastsiberianlaika-mobile.mp4

Generally speaking, locking biners aren't used on lead because you need to be able to easily clip in fast and with one hand and locking biners make that hard, plus locking biners are heavy. Counterintuitively you'd be raising your risk of falls by putting lockers on all your draws. If you clip correctly, you will be as safe as your pro (very safe on bolts, on a scale of not-very to very on trad gear). That said, people will sometimes swap to a locking draw for critical placements or in sketchy situations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Locking or not, the gate is the weakest part of a carabiner anyway is it not?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Locking or not, the gate is the weakest part of a carabiner anyway is it not?

Kind of. One like that is rated to 24 kn but only 7 kn if the gate was accidently propped open. It's mainly weak because if you aren't careful outside forces can force it open a bit and either weaken it or the rope comes out. But clipped in correctly that won't happen. Legit haven't heard of a climbing accident where a properly cared for/used carabiner was the primary fault

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

repiv posted:

Another variant of that has been floating around for a while, no idea if it's real though

ionizing radiation striking a ccd does not produce white cells, it's multicolored

citation: me

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Inflation fetishes are getting weirder somehow.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/9CJGf23.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Please don't post videos from my colonoscopy