Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I suspect that we're in a situation similar to the invention of the machine gun where a new technology has popped up that disrupts established tactics but equipment to counter it haven't yet been refined.

In some hypothetical future war I expect that launching a commercial drone will be useless at best (because anything or anybody of interest will be carrying systems to alert them to the presence and jamming equipment will be plentiful) or suicidal at worst (due to the existence of some sort of small-scale HARM that will beeline toward the control unit that you are holding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bremen posted:

I once saw a review of a camera drone with automated person following capability. As in you tossed it in the air and it followed over your shoulder as you walked around, not because it was directed, but because it recognized you. This was a dinner plate sized, $400-500 or so drone.

My immediate thought was "put a pistol on that thing and build a million of them and that's a terrifying weapon if you don't care about being indiscriminate."

These have been a thing for a few years now - not the pistol part, just the tracking camera part. Popular in sports that aren’t too conclusive for holding a selfie stick, e.g., cycling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

I suspect that we're in a situation similar to the invention of the machine gun where a new technology has popped up that disrupts established tactics but equipment to counter it haven't yet been refined.

In some hypothetical future war I expect that launching a commercial drone will be useless at best (because anything or anybody of interest will be carrying systems to alert them to the presence and jamming equipment will be plentiful) or suicidal at worst (due to the existence of some sort of small-scale HARM that will beeline toward the control unit that you are holding).

It'll be autonomous ai controlled swarms against each other. Friendly fire isn't acceptable in a self driving car but as long as it's minimal It'll be acceptable in war. Front toward enemy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'll be autonomous ai controlled swarms against each other. Friendly fire isn't acceptable in a self driving car but as long as it's minimal It'll be acceptable in war. Front toward enemy.

They're already testing these in.... Tennessee? Kentucky?

Yeah, Tennessee.

quote:

Launched in 2017, the OFFensive Swarm-Enabled Tactics (OFFSET) program aims to develop an ecosystem of unmanned ground and aerial vehicles available to small infantry units that can be deployed as swarms of up to 250 units towards the accomplishment of various tasks in complex, urban terrain. The final goal is the development of a system of “swarm tactics” responsive to human commands enabled through algorithms. The whole swarm would fall under the command of a single team consisting of a “swarm commander” and an operator.

The project’s manager, Timothy Chung, was very positive about the advancements made over the past four years and about the test itself. He stated that the test and wider program demonstrated that “these swarm capabilities are rapidly nearing availability for future operations”. Chung also emphasized that the program developed not just advanced capabilities but also a swarm capability community.

John Watson, who leads the Fort Campbell Directorate of Plans, Training, Mobilization and Security, provided additional details on what the capabilities demonstrated by the field test will mean for future soldiers.

“If a unit is coming up into a densely populated urban area, they could use a swarm of unmanned aircraft systems to go and do a reconnaissance. Instead of having to send soldiers in there and spend manpower and other resources, you can send your drones in there to do that reconnaissance and validate threats. […] To do a reconnaissance of Cassidy would probably take a company plus of soldiers to do, or a battalion minus, whereas if this technology is fully developed, one soldier is all it takes to control the swarm and do the reconnaissance. And one of the future technologies they’re talking about is being able to pair human and swarm teaming and use part of the swarm to breach a door, so if you think there’s a threat in the building you can use them to breach the door instead of a soldier.”

Northrop Grumman Mission Systems and Raytheon BBN Technologies participated in the test as Swarm System integrators; their role was to develop open architecture which enables the swarm operations concept. Sentien Robotics and Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, meanwhile, demonstrated platforms that can be integrated as part of the swarm. The Michigan Tech Research Institute virtually demonstrated new “acoustic spoofing payload and see-through-wall sensing payload capabilities” which are expected to be further tested in early 2022.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W34NPbGkLGI

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

Were drones going into Ukraine being made at that base? I assume you're talking about this Israeli strike:

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...c7-1fb0384f0000

That’s right, it was drone factory not drone base. I’m not aware of any link between that plant and the drones in Ukraine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

10 years ago, I used to work with security cameras and had one on my desk that was set up to follow people (it just looked for movement of a large enough object and tried to keep it in frame). I thought it was adorable - like an overactive puppy. My coworkers all thought it was incredibly creepy and hated it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1584606451905200128?s=20&t=3zejqp1XIxnQyhT45oM-sA That seems like dumb and bad optics.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

They should send these cops to Bakmut

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That seems like dumb and bad optics.
I guess but I don't see the relation to Ukraine

Edit: dammit he changed it

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Negotiation is usually something you do during war to try to achieve your goals. For a while now people have used "negotiation" as a euphemism for surrender, both people calling for it and denouncing it. A good faith effort to resolve or at least stop the war, coupled with continued military aid, is a good policy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

Negotiation is usually something you do during war to try to achieve your goals. For a while now people have used "negotiation" as a euphemism for surrender, both people calling for it and denouncing it. A good faith effort to resolve or at least stop the war, coupled with continued military aid, is a good policy.

How can you have good faith negotiations if only one side is interested?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

But why should Biden negotiate a ceasefire on Ukraine's behalf, what is that going to achieve?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I hope it isn't terribly off-topic to state this, but some of these people are also the ones who drag their feet on condemning Iran while clawing at each other trying to put the boot in on the Saudis. It's a very annoying pattern among legislators I otherwise usually like a great deal.

Let's take a look at the letter itself...

https://twitter.com/QuincyInst/status/1584616518469312512/photo/1

Yup. Cori Bush, AOC, Ilhan Omar and Ayanna Pressley are among the signatories.

The wording's not quite "make Ukraine surrender," but it's definitely showing that we're getting closer to a western breaking point, which is exactly what Putin is counting on.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

How does one, in good faith, negotiate with Putin here? I.e. in what scenario does diplomacy cause Russian troops to leave just Ukraine, let alone Crimea?

I don't think there is a diplomatic solution here.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Saint Celestine posted:

How does one, in good faith, negotiate with Putin here? I.e. in what scenario does diplomacy cause Russian troops to leave just Ukraine, let alone Crimea?

I don't think there is a diplomatic solution here.

It's almost certain that the US and/or "the West" has told Putin that they will withdraw most of the economic sanctions if Russia withdraws to its own borders. There might not be "negotiating," but there is a "dialogue" between the parties.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

How can you have good faith negotiations if only one side is interested?

Fight them until they are willing to come to the table, essentially how every war before 1945 was ended.

mobby_6kl posted:

But why should Biden negotiate a ceasefire on Ukraine's behalf, what is that going to achieve?

So much of this is simply Russian ego, unwilling to negotiate with a non-superpower though they've proven themselves to not belong in that camp. That said, the US is now a major player in the conflict, and can play a role in initiating a multi-lateral process aimed at securing Ukraine's war aims.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's almost certain that the US and/or "the West" has told Putin that they will withdraw most of the economic sanctions if Russia withdraws to its own borders
But everyone knows that there's zero chance of Russia withdrawing out of Crimea and the Donbas, so what's the point?

If Russia signals at some point they may be willing to fully withdraw in exchange for loosening sanctions, then sure, try diplomacy, but until then it just seems like a waste of effort and a distraction.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cicero posted:

But everyone knows that there's zero chance of Russia withdrawing out of Crimea and the Donbas, so what's the point?

If Russia signals at some point they may be willing to fully withdraw in exchange for loosening sanctions, then sure, try diplomacy, but until then it just seems like a waste of effort and a distraction.

Oh of course, you're not wrong.

"The left's" problem in this is that they assume that both sides will act in good faith. It's decorum poisoned.

This is easy for me to say because I'm not fighting in it, but sometimes you have to fight a war. All our idealistic systems can't fix everything.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cicero posted:

If tomorrow Russian forces collapsed back to their borders, then that would still not be a total victory for Ukraine, Russia will still be there, and still have the capability to attempt this a few years later. Maybe inducting Ukraine into NATO the moment Russian forces leave its territory? But that seems unlikely, and I can't see some certain central European powers agreeing to that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

Fight them until they are willing to come to the table, essentially how every war before 1945 was ended.
Well, that's the current plan.

But also it's important to note that when it comes to it, conditions must be imposed on Russia, rather than left to a mutual agreement, effectively only an unconditional surrender and conditions that are outside of Russia's power to break are credible, given the lack of trustworthiness the Russian government has due to its disregard for international agreements. So ultimately negotiating with Russia amounts to unilaterally dictating the peace to Russia.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 24, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh of course, you're not wrong.

"The left's" problem in this is that they assume that both sides will act in good faith. It's decorum poisoned.

This is easy for me to say because I'm not fighting in it, but sometimes you have to fight a war. All our idealistic systems can't fix everything.

Can’t wait for the Russian media to pick up on the peace faction in the US congress.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Well, it's never to late to ask if they're ready! A lot of people (I'm not saying decision makers, just media heads) have presupposed the end of this to be the collapse of the Russian state or death of Putin, and as much as the latter would be great, I don't think that's actually a war aim of Ukraine.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FishBulbia posted:

If tomorrow Russian forces collapsed back to their borders, then that would still not be a total victory for Ukraine, Russia will still be there, and still have the capability to attempt this a few years later. Maybe inducting Ukraine into NATO the moment Russian forces leave its territory? But that seems unlikely, and I can't see some certain central European powers agreeing to that.

Funny thing about mutual defensive pacts--they can exist outside NATO.
But yeah, that'd be an upwards climb. Russia could try again of course, but Ukraine NOW is blunting their entire military. Just imagine how it'd handle them in 5 years with full investment in western weapons and armor...though again, that's tempered by the insane debt and rebuilding costs they'll have to do.

It's a shitshow.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
There's nothing wrong with negotiation as a concept. Negotiating DIRECTLY with USA is exactly what Russia wants as that feeds into their propaganda of Ukraine being a puppet gov't with no agency.

Putin would get a boner for a chance to negotiate directly with Biden about what territories Russia keeps or doesn't keep.

US congressmen should just come out and say yes or no to more aid and then shut up. Although it might be a roundabout way for them to vote no on more aid in the near future and then blame Biden for not negotiating with Putin harder.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 24, 2022

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

OAquinas posted:

Funny thing about mutual defensive pacts--they can exist outside NATO.
But yeah, that'd be an upwards climb. Russia could try again of course, but Ukraine NOW is blunting their entire military. Just imagine how it'd handle them in 5 years with full investment in western weapons and armor...though again, that's tempered by the insane debt and rebuilding costs they'll have to do.

It's a shitshow.

Of course, Russia might reform their military, like the Soviets did after the winter war with Finland.

Then in 5 or 10 years the headshot against Kiev might succeed.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Rad Russian posted:

US congressmen should just come out and say yes or no to more aid and then shut up.

I get the impression a lot of that depends on the elections in 3 weeks. But even then, the anti-ukraine republicans don't seem like a majority within their own party.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope it isn't terribly off-topic to state this, but some of these people are also the ones who drag their feet on condemning Iran while clawing at each other trying to put the boot in on the Saudis. It's a very annoying pattern among legislators I otherwise usually like a great deal.

The wording's not quite "make Ukraine surrender," but it's definitely showing that we're getting closer to a western breaking point, which is exactly what Putin is counting on.
I don't think public polling is indicative of a western breaking point. These representatives simply are the usual suspects (as you say).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Feliday Melody posted:

Of course, Russia might reform their military, like the Soviets did after the winter war with Finland.

Then in 5 or 10 years the headshot against Kiev might succeed.
There absolutely needs to be some sort of mutual defense agreement after this is over. Hopefully with Ukraine now being one of the most experienced militaries, and a big MIC customer, this wouldn't be a huge problem.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I think a lot of people were not expecting this to be a long war. And the prospect of years of this makes people anxious, regardless of NATO's capabilities of supporting it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

I don't think public polling is indicative of a western breaking point. These representatives simply are the usual suspects (as you say).

I do think polling is indicative that the public in America is more concerned about domestic pain rather than Ukraine and that's not really unexpected for anybody.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

There's nothing wrong with negotiation as a concept. Negotiating DIRECTLY with USA is exactly what Russia wants as that feeds into their propaganda of Ukraine being a puppet gov't with no agency.

It's the same rationale behind leaving the negotiations between the Republic of Korea and the DPRK. Only a fool would negotiate (see Trump) would interfere and negotiate the sovereignty of an ally, because that's what Kim Jung Un and Putin want, for a superpower to negotiate away a weaker country.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Young Freud posted:

It's the same rationale behind leaving the negotiations between the Republic of Korea and the DPRK. Only a fool would negotiate (see Trump) would interfere and negotiate the sovereignty of an ally, because that's what Kim Jung Un and Putin want, for a superpower to negotiate away a weaker country.

There is a difference between negotiating away a state and multilateral negotiations, indeed, the later is probably the only way Ukraine can walk away from this with an immediate outside security guarantee.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

We shouldn't underestimate how cheap mass-produced military drones could be when compared to aircraft. Not to mention sparring trained pilots etc.

A $3000 drone with the explosive power of a hand grenade could make a world of difference to infantry.

The US sent this over, it's called Switchblade 300

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SaTaMaS posted:

The US sent this over, it's called Switchblade 300

And apparently it's hard as hell to operate effectively, from what anecdotal evidence I've read.

Also:
https://twitter.com/LogKa11/status/1582773195312361475

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eric Cantonese posted:

A handful of reps with dipshitty foreign policy ideas in general writing a dipshitty letter about foreign policy (that Biden is going to throw in the circular file immediately) isn't really a sign of anything, good or bad. It's just Monday in DC.

And that letter is real fuckin stupid, it's like 500 caveats about how Russia is totally bad and Ukraine is totally right to defend themselves BUT: have you considered asking them to stop?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I think the big thing with theshaheed is its range

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1584608022147391488

quote:

Given these highly specialised technical skills, it seemed plausible that the GVC may be linked to programming the flight paths of Russia’s cruise missiles. Therefore Bellingcat obtained phone metadata records of the highest ranking individual publicly named as its director: Maj. Gen. Baranov. This method is similar to that employed by Bellingcat to track and trace the poisoners of Russian opposition politician Alexey Navalny, with data purchased from brokers who commonly offer such services. While this method would be impossible in most countries, Russia’s black market for data has helped journalists and activists piece together numerous significant investigations into the country’s military and secret services in recent years.

During the Cold War, the CIA would kill to get even a single phone recording. Now anyone can call with fat paypal account and get full wiretaps and hidden recordings for the right price. Corruption means even the panopticon owners need a dacha too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Eric Cantonese posted:

that letter is stupid as hell but you'll note that the letter sets the leftmost point of the dems at 'full economic and military assistance... also try to negotiate plz'

There's no sign of wavering on the economic and military aid to read into in that. If anything I would argue that resolve to support Ukraine seems to be as strong as ever and is particularly buoyed by the ridiculous amount of success it has had.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

The letter also says that we should keep providing military support to Ukraine, but "pair" that support with a diplomatic push.

It's kinda dumb and kinda wrong but it's aimed at shoring up the votes of , for lack of a better term, peaceniks, so, go figure. It doesn't really say much other than "diplomacy is nice, people should try it."

Which would make sense if Putin weren't a sociopath. The root issue here is that negotiation isn't possible with Russia as long as Putin remains in power, because he's operating in bad faith and would use any respite to rebuild his strength for the next attack. If a change of government happens in Russia negotiation should absolutely be attempted, but until then there's not really any point, except insofar as it's useful to look like the party trying to be reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://en.zona.media/article/2022/10/24/marriedanddrafted

A group of Russian journalists estimate mobilisation to have called upon 492k people since September 21.