Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What doesn't add up is Brady could have accomplished all that without actually announcing his retirement and making a mess of his personal life.
Isnt his personal life a mess either way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Saying Arians staying is proof he was forced out, is some kind of galaxy brain take. Because you know drat well if he wasn't with the team on gameday you'd also say "look he was forced out!" It just reeks of wanting to spin it a certain way no matter what.

What doesn't add up is Brady could have accomplished all that without actually announcing his retirement and making a mess of his personal life.

What is the non-galaxy brain take for why Arians stepped down when he did then?

And also of note—reports of tension between Arians and Brady definitely stretched back into the 2021 regular season; it wasn't a feud concocted out of the ether.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Black Lighter posted:

The Bucs might have hesitant to do it before he actually retired, or it could have been something he thought up while hating family life.

Yea, I assume the retirement was legitimate if somewhat forced and then after a few weeks he realized he doesn’t love his family and decided he wanted to play football again but his Miami deal had already blown up so he told the Bucs he’d come back if they made the changes he wanted .

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So if you think his retirement was just a ploy to get to the Dolphins or force Arians aside, then you also have to believe his wife/family were utterly clueless about his intentions.

I think the reality is whichever story you buy into, they both require some weird leaps of logic.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 24, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always assumed Brady retiring, Unretiring and forcing Arians out was just how the cards happen to fall rather like some preplanned stage show it can’t really be anything else

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Frank Reich entering the spicy zone, Benne?

Reich won't be fired mid-season. But he's done after this year if he doesn't have a huge turnaround

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Bradys retirement being fake was a part of the tampering case against Miami

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

So if you think his retirement was just a ploy to get to the Dolphins or force Arians aside, then you also have to believe his wife/family were utterly clueless about his intentions.

I think the reality is whichever story you buy into, they both require some weird leaps of logic.

no one said the retirement was fake. he legit retired and then once he decided to come back he made some demands.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I swear Schefter leaking Brady's retirement before he had a chance to completely monetize and grift off it himself, caused all of these chain reaction of events.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think Tom Brady throwing a fit to get special treatment is the most logical explanation of anything that happens involving Tom Brady.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think Tom Brady throwing a fit to get special treatment is the most logical explanation of anything that happens involving Tom Brady.
Same. He's a gigantic child.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pasaluki posted:

I swear Schefter leaking Brady's retirement before he had a chance to completely monetize and grift off it himself, caused all of these chain reaction of events.

It's as believable as everything else (which is incredibly/100%, always has been); The problem with this is I simply refuse to credit Schefter with even accidentally being responsible for a positive thing, ever

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 24, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fsif posted:

Yeah I'm a bit surprised I have to spell it out but there's a pretty tidy explanation. Brady told the Glazers/Bucs FO whomever he would play another year in Tampa so long as Arians wasn't the head coach. FO decision maker told Bruce they were choosing Brady over him and asked what it would take to mollify Arians and make sure the transition wasn't too messy. Arians chooses a fake job with the organization and (presumably) lots of money. The Bucs now have the thinnest of fig leaves to hide the ouster, but it's just enough that sports writers can't really run pieces about the obvious.

The alternative explanation—that Bruce really did want to coach a 4-13 season with Gabbert and none of the talent a team with Brady afforded him, but not a team with an actual Super Bowl caliber roster—makes far less sense.

This pure speculation on your part. No one with actual sources has said anything of this.

The story from the Bucs sources have said Bruce was the one that cleared it with Brady to retire so you seem to have it backwards.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine if Brady did go to Miami and played as badly as he's playing in Tampa.

At least the Bucs got a couple good seasons and a Super Bowl win before Brady fell apart. Miami dodged a bullet thanks to their general incompetence, the owner's love of obscufation, and Adarn.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wandler20 posted:

This pure speculation on your part. No one with actual sources has said anything of this.

The story from the Bucs sources have said Bruce was the one that cleared it with Brady to retire so you seem to have it backwards.

The team providing a team friendly narrative to their sources isn’t surprising.

Absent Bruce and Tom open mouth kissing on camera for at least five minutes I’m going to continue to believe the much funnier and frankly more probably story.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mega64 posted:

At least the Bucs got a couple good seasons and a Super Bowl win before Brady fell apart. Miami dodged a bullet thanks to their general incompetence, the owner's love of obscufation, and Adarn.

Yea, that’s the hilarious part, they lost a first and third round pick for nothing and they still got a better deal than if they’d gotten Brady.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

If we're imagining things...on the other side Tampa might have got Tua which I assume would have been part of any backroom deal. And kept him upright or at least not in scandalous injury territory and they might be doing ok.

Nov 6, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, I assume the retirement was legitimate if somewhat forced and then after a few weeks he realized he doesn’t love his family and decided he wanted to play football again but his Miami deal had already blown up so he told the Bucs he’d come back if they made the changes he wanted .

So many things to unpack here. You think he legit retired. But he hates his family/loves football so much and decides to unretire... but... only if he can force Bruce Arians out? And Arians decides to go along with all this because... money? I just don't see Arians agreeing to be any part of that based on the kind of guy he is.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The team providing a team friendly narrative to their sources isn’t surprising.

Absent Bruce and Tom open mouth kissing on camera for at least five minutes I’m going to continue to believe the much funnier and frankly more probably story.

That's fine and people will obviously gravitate to whatever narrative they want to spin, especially when there's a chance to make Brady look bad. If you want to be on Florio's side that's cool, I'll continue to believe Arians.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think the story makes Brady look especially bad, I assume a similar thing played out in Green Bay. Not as extreme mind you but similar

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Still trying to figure out why Arians was willing to coach a poo poo roster for another year but then suddenly decided to retire once his team was good again.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Still trying to figure out why Arians was willing to coach a poo poo roster for another year but then suddenly decided to retire once his team was good again.

yeah they look real great lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Does ESPN still do 30 for 30 type stuff? Because that’s the only place your gonna get an honest telling of what happened in like a decade

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

yeah they look real great lol

I mean you can’t clown them for stuff we now know in hindsight

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fsif posted:

Uh, the Bucs had one of the best rosters on paper and were pretty much penciled in as a top 3 NFC team in the preseason. Unless you mean without Brady, but the roster isn't really the issue.

quote:

Bruce Arians admitted that Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady played a role in him deciding to retire from coaching, but not in the way that some will be quick to infer.

Arians, while speaking to NBC Sports’ Peter King, who was the first to report the retirement, acknowledged that Brady coming out of retirement encouraged him to make his own decision to move on given the organization is in a good place.

“It hit me after the Super Bowl,” Arians told King, referencing Tampa Bay winning the title in Brady’s first season with the franchise. “I thought really hard about going out on top. Then it was like, nah, let’s go for two. (The 2021 season) was a grind with all the injuries but still winning and getting to where we got. Immediately after, two to three weeks afterwards (I thought) … if I quit, my coaches get fired. I couldn’t do it then.

Arians continued: “Tom was kind of the key. When Tom decided to come back … and all of these guys back now, it’s the perfect timing for me just to go into the front office and still have the relationships that I love.”

Former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles will take over the head coaching duties from Arians. Bowles was Arians’ choice to take over the job in Tampa Bay, and Arians essentially indicated how Brady’s return made him think Bowles had a better chance of taking over.

“Succession has always been huge for me,” Arians told King. “With the organization in probably the best shape it’s been in its history, with Tom Brady coming back … I’d rather see Todd in position to be successful and not have to take some (crappy) job.

“I’m probably retiring next year anyway, in February. So, I control the narrative right now. I don’t control it next February because (if) Brady gets hurt, we go 10-7, and it’s an open interview for the job,” Arians continued. “I got 31 (coaches and their) families that depend on me. My wife is big on not letting all those families down.”

Arians clarified that Brady ending his retirement did not create a bad situation in which the quarterback forced him out, as some may be led to believe.

“No,” Arians said. “No. Tom was very in favor of what I’m doing. I mean, I had conflicts with every player I coached because I cussed them all out, including him. Great relationship off the field.”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That doesn’t really make a lot of sense, Toms a bandaid, we know that. So how can a player coming back for probably another year leave them in a good place? That’s just a short delay to the exact same situation but the team is a bit older

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

come on dude, you can't just take the internal propaganda messaging as fact

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Uh, the Bucs had one of the best rosters on paper and were pretty much penciled in as a top 3 NFC team in the preseason. Unless you mean without Brady, but the roster isn't really the issue.

I mean Arians was willing to coach a team QBed by Blaine Gabbert and likely without Jensen and Carlton Davis, but then Brady unretired and free agents swarmed there and suddenly Arians retired. The Bucs went from +2800 to win the Super Bowl to +800 overnight and Arians bounced.

The succession line is a dumb as hell and a completely nonsensical explanation! I posit that Arians might not be telling the truth!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Part of the reason the Bucs are bad is because of Bowles. You can debate how good/bad they would have been had Arians stayed in charge with a different QB, but those results would swing wildly based on who they could have been able to get.

It's pretty obvious he was forced out as part of Brady agreeing to come back and given a cushy gig for being a team player

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

So many things to unpack here. You think he legit retired. But he hates his family/loves football so much and decides to unretire... but... only if he can force Bruce Arians out? And Arians decides to go along with all this because... money? I just don't see Arians agreeing to be any part of that based on the kind of guy he is.

Bruce Arians would definitely never say something untrue for career purposes.

I don’t know if Tom retired because he felt pressured by his family and then walked it back when he realized he didn’t really want to, or because he was planning to go to the Dolphins all along and the retirement was just a ploy: but I do know that he wasn’t going to play for the Bucs and then suddenly he was and BA was retiring after a season of articles about them butting heads.

Do I think Bruce would go along with it? Absolutely, given that it got Bowles a job and he gets to stick around. But in no way do I think it was his decision to just up and retire.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nodoze posted:

It's pretty obvious he was forced out as part of Brady agreeing to come back and given a cushy gig for being a team player

:agreed: completely

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Well if the speculation is true, Brady sure hosed that up!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yes, that’s why it’s funny.

If it worked out it wouldn’t be very funny

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Give Arians to Herbert

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Give Arians to Herbert

He always looked ready to have a(nother) heart attack at any moment in Tampa. Can you even imagine what the stress of coaching the Chargers would do to him

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I mean from Bruce Arians perspective it could have not just been worth the hassle dealing with another year of this super demanding QB and his loving hexer wife.

Bruce Arians may have said I'm too old for this poo poo give me a job where I can sit on my rear end, rather than it being some machination of Brady.

The result deliciously is the same. It was a huge blunder professionally and personally for Brady. He had complete control over his legacy but is a decrepit lich who just can't stop even though evil won.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

pasaluki posted:

I mean from Bruce Arians perspective it could have not just been worth the hassle dealing with another year of this super demanding QB and his loving hexer wife.

Bruce Arians may have said I'm too old for this poo poo give me a job where I can sit on my rear end, rather than it being some machination of Brady.

The result deliciously is the same. It was a huge blunder professionally and personally for Brady. He had complete control over his legacy but is a decrepit lich who just can't stop even though evil won.

Yeah, I don't doubt that Brady returning made retiring gain more appeal. Once that got the gears turning, he thought about what else would be impacted by stepping down one year ahead of schedule, recognized (or his SO or others pointed out) that he'd have more sway on naming a successor etc. In turn it would provide him with a different set of benefits (legacy, doing a solid for a friend, good press, maybe it garnered him more cache upstairs, whatever) and would make a servicable explanation to feed sports reporters.

I mean hell, he already stopped coaching for health concerns once before. Perhaps he looked at his SB ring, thought about the risk/reward of another long season w/ Tom and the gang, and determined he would be quite content walking away from the day-to-day grind while it was entirely his decision and not something that was forced upon him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 8 UPDATE

A lot has changed since my last update. We got our first firing which was largely expected, and several seats have quickly warmed up as the season nears its midway point. From here on out I’ll try to do a new update every two weeks, because hot seat season is just getting started. We’re getting to the good stuff.

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

I’m gonna be nice to Lions posters and not put Campbell in Mild despite the team’s dismal form as of late. Getting outscored 53-6 in your last two games is hard to spin, but I’ll grant them missing their best offensive playmakers and being stuck with Jared Goff, who is famous for falling apart when things aren’t perfect around him. If the team is as patient as we think they are, Campbell will get more time to prove that he’s not the guy.

In other news, Saleh is delivering the proof of concept he needed after a shaky first season, and we can’t kick around Fat Mike in this space right now, which is a slight disappointment.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Lovie Smith, Houston Texans
Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Kevin O’Connoll, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints

You might notice a name missing from this list. No spoilers!

The Bucs have a Todd Bowles problem, which might be a bigger problem than Tom Brady’s midlife crisis or the offensive line injuries. This team was billed as a battle-tested roster full of veterans looking for another ring, and instead they just look kinda old and slow. I don’t think they blow up Bruce Arians’ handpicked staff after one year, but we’re clearly still underrating Arians’ greatness when we assumed this team would be plug-and-play without him.

The Saints also have a Dennis Allen problem, and also like Bowles he’s struggling to fill the shoes of a legend who departed under rather suspicious circumstances.

MILD

Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos – If you’ve read my threads for long enough, you know I’m very cautious with heating up first-year coaches. But Hackett … my God, show a pulse. This was supposed to be a ready-made contender with Russell Wilson in the building, and not only is Wilson having the worst season of his career, Hackett doesn’t seem to have any answers whatsoever. Not since Freddie Kitchens have I seen a rookie coach this obviously overmatched week in and week out, and the local media has all knives out for him. It’s a terrible audition for the new ownership group that just came in, and I bet they’re not happy with the bad PR he’s giving them right off the bat.

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Good process is great. At some point you need good results. Staley became a Twitter darling for his aggressive 4th-down decisions and thoughtful press conferences, but when do the Chargers take that leap? Their 4-3 record hides a lot of problems beyond just injury, most worrying is an offense that’s gone into a shell and not taking advantage of Justin Herbert’s electric arm. They have literally the most valuable asset in all of professional sports (an elite quarterback on his rookie contract) and are in real danger of missing the playoffs three straight years with Herbert. You simply can’t let these chances slip away, and if you’re a Chargers fan, it stings even more watching the divisional-rival Chiefs cash in with Patrick Mahomes before he got his mega-payday. If Staley wants to restore his luster, he has to get his Ferrari out of the garage and trust it to go the distance.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders – Stop me if you heard this before: the coaching staff is unhappy with Carson Wentz. A conveniently timed injury lets Wentz go away for a little while so they can scrap together wins or backdoor covers with their backup quarterback and pretend that things are going hunky-dory. We’ve seen this movie before. Wentz the coach killer will come back at the end just like Michael Myers and ruin things all over again.

Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals – It’s not hard to see a path upwards for the Cardinals – DeAndre Hopkins is back and the offense is instantly more watchable with him on the field. And with the NFC West in an unexpected down year, they’re not out of the race by any means. But I need more proof than beating a bad Saints team on Thursday before I’m ready to cool down Kliffy. They still have a lot of issues to work out.

MODERATE

Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns – Stefanski and the Browns had exactly one job this season – keep the ship afloat until Deshaun Watson comes back. Instead they’re sinking fast and hard, to the point that it might not even matter if Watson returns to elite form (not a given after sitting out almost two calendar years). This team already had ugly vibes, and things are not getting better. Stefanski has quickly blown through the goodwill he earned from ending their playoff drought just two years ago.

SPICY HOT

Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts – Jim Irsay has seen enough. That’s the biggest takeaway from this week’s move to bench Matt Ryan, which they went out of their way to say was for the rest of the season and not related to his shoulder injury. Ryan has been awful, to be sure, but for a respected veteran of his stature, it’s still pretty stunning to pull the plug after just seven weeks. In many ways, this is a fitting irony for the Reich/Chris Ballard regime, who spent years trying to prop up the roster with creaky aging QBs, and now have to rely on a totally unproven young QB to save their jobs. Maybe Sam Ehlinger shocks the world and becomes that guy, but I wouldn’t bet on it. For an organization that still has strong ex-boyfriend vibes from Andrew Luck’s retirement (it’s been three years, Jim, get your poo poo together already), maybe this is the rock bottom they need to finally start over fresh.

Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Steve Wilks) – That was the most predictable midseason firing since, what, Dan Quinn with the Falcons? That was another example of a team refusing to rip off the Band-Aid when they had the chance, firing him a month into the season anyway, and wasting a full year of everyone’s time.

As for the Panthers’ future, they dealt away Christian McCaffrey and Brian Burns has been the source of persistent trade rumors. But I honestly don’t think they need to do a total teardown. Getting CMC’s contract off the books is an obvious win, but trading Burns or D.J. Moore just to do it seems like defeatism. These are real pieces you can build around and would be attractive to a new coaching staff – it also sends a message to the locker room that you believe in these guys and want them to be around for the next good Panthers team. If they find a quarterback and a coach who knows what he’s doing, they’re probably not as far away as people think.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Man, remember when Daboll came in second to Staley in 2021? Hindsight is 20/20, but it has to be a hard pill to swallow with the Giants flourishing under his leadership and the Chargers wasting another year of Herbert with the usual Chargers nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Everyone has an easy schedule this year except whatever division got stuck playing the NFCEast

Hi, welcome to the NFC North. We also get to play the entire AFC East this year! All four of us.

If you needed another reason Dan Campbell shouldn't be on the hot seat yet, that absolutely should be one -- the NFCN's strength of schedule ballooned out of nowhere when the worse teams in both those divisions started hitting their stride. I have no idea how the Vikings are 5-1 with our own rookie HC.