Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maybe it was just me but the complete absence of Tosin Cole from the episode was astonishingly glaring.

Ok he's in Patagonia, that's cool. The whole world's in danger and your Granddad is underground and your friends are all trying to prevent volcanic annihilation...

Edward Mass posted:

PROBABLY Christmas 2023.

:negative:

So basically an entire lifetime from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

One thing that the early part of this story made me realize I'll miss is a TARDIS crew that's genuinely friendly and earnest. That super brief segment where the Doctor and Yaz genuinely congratulate Dan on his landing made me so happy, and I realized that's because Thirteen's the only recent Doctor that really fosters that sort of attitude, while previous revival Doctors have always been too serious or too detached.

I'm gonna miss having a Doctor that just feels like a dorky best friend.

I wouldn't make assumptions yet about the Ncuti Doctor.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s a testament to the quality of the actors who’ve played The Master that it’s consistently very hard to rank them from least favourite to favourite. Aside from the crispy Masters being the least favourite and Roger Delgado being at the very top.

Delgado is so good it's amazing they found anyone to follow him much less so many good performers. I do actually think Pratt's fried egg Master works, and Beevers' main problem isn't the story or dialogue, it's the makeup. They've all had to sell some frankly hard-to-stomach characterizations; even Delgado struggled a bit when story after story required the Master to successfully summon an ally and then be convinced by the Doctor that the ally was untrustworthy and had to be defeated. Weirdly, the Roberts Master has really aged well, in part because the hyper-camp performance has really gotten affirmed and reaffirmed in the new series.

Even RTD isn't this crazy, but given what just happened with the forced regeneration, there's a realistic opportunity to cast a former Doctor as the next Master. I actually think Whittaker would be a really interesting choice, and obviously Capaldi could play the part without much effort.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The artwork makes sense for the most part, but what have the Bogdanoff twins have to do with this? And desert chrome, really?

They presented a show on French TV about fantasy things in the mid 80s which led into some Tom Baker repeats. There’s a behind the scenes of Trial of a Time Lord segment from their show on the Trial DVD/Bluray.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Beever's Master voice is fantastic. He sounds like he's choosing every single word carefully, just for the right effect.

Yeah, I think the "I don't want to go" line was a bad final line for Ten, and I think it didn't help a lot of the casual fans with the transition to Smith. He should have followed that with another line instead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think that it is bogus to blame RTD's artistic choice to write Ten as a consistently selfish and flawed character for the inability of some fans to accept Smith. Totally unreasonable creative shackles to put someone in.

Also Smith's era was a massive international success.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

Not sure what to say about this one. It’s also a cover for The Daleks.

Japan had some cool covers even if it's hard to tell what story they're from:

Spearhead from Space

The Silurians

Colony in Space

Day of the Daleks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Watching the latest on iplayer got me to notice that every single past series is on there now. I think I was just stuck in a mindspace where you have to buy the DVDs to rewatch old series. I've been rewatching some old favourites, god series 1 is good. And The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit is great stuff, love that two parter to bits.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I absolutely love 10's final line. It's brutal, but death (which is how that episode definitely painted resurrection) usually is. He made the sacrifice, does what he can to prepare, and at the end of it, he realizes he's still not ready. But it's too late, time has come for him, too. I thought it was perfect.

I love 11 and 12's speeches for entirely different reasons.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 24, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

Spearhead from Space

The Silurians

Colony in Space

Day of the Daleks

Any leads on who did the art for these releases?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am now retroactively upset that Missy never got a bangin musical scene.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Has the artist even seen a Dalek before? Why does UNIT have a spaceship? What is that monkey like monster supposed to be? I have so many questions.

The monster in question is supposed to be an Ogron

Those books also contained an introduction by Harlan Ellison of all people, talking about how Doctor Who is superior to Star Trek and Star Wars.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

Any leads on who did the art for these releases?

https://twitter.com/dwcoverstory/status/770185935904464896

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The monster in question is supposed to be an Ogron

Those books also contained an introduction by Harlan Ellison of all people, talking about how Doctor Who is superior to Star Trek and Star Wars.

God what an insufferable dweeb he was

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved that by contrast to 10's regeneration, 11 was completely at peace with himself, so when he finally regenerated it wasn't with the big exploding regeneration energy flying everywhere stuff (though Moffat still got to play with that by having him use the energy given by the Time Lords to blast some Daleks!), just a sudden quick snap backwards of his head and suddenly he's Capaldi and we ended the episode with that brilliant :staredog: :ohdear: bit between he and Clara.

Capaldi's own regeneration was bittersweet and regretful which was a nice touch and a little bit of (perhaps) meta commentary on Capaldi's feelings on the role himself, what with the,"Doctor... I let you go".
Whittaker ending with the big lightshow but doing it outside so as not to harm the TARDIS, and turning it into a moment of beauty on a seascape, along with the playful,"Tag, you're it!" final words was about as strong a way for her to go out as you could have probably asked for.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 25, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that by contrast to 10's regeneration, 11 was completely at peace with himself, so when he finally regenerated it wasn't with the big exploding regeneration energy flying everywhere stuff (though Moffat still got to play with that by having him use the energy given by the Time Lords to blast some Daleks1), just a sudden quick snap backwards of his head and suddenly he's Capaldi and we ended the episode with that brilliant :staredog: :ohdear: bit between he and Clara.

Capaldi's own regeneration was bittersweet and regretful which was a nice touch and a little bit of (perhaps) meta commentary on Capaldi's feelings on the role himself, what with the,"Doctor... I let you go".
Whittaker ending with the big lightshow but doing it outside so as not to harm the TARDIS, and turning it into a moment of beauty on a seascape, along with the playful,"Tag, you're it!" final words was about as strong a way for her to go out as you could have probably asked for.

the little story told with each regeneration, and how the idea of becoming someone else so directly and literally plays differently with each iteration, is one of those small joys that is both blessed and cursed by being so Doctor Who specific

like, if it was a narrative gimmick that any ol' media was pulling off left and right it wouldn't be as neat, but at the same time it sucks because sometimes Doctor Who sucks

I think about certain beats in pro wrestling a lot in the same vein, like, there's some stuff that only works because it's pro wrestling but at the same time... lol, it's pro wrestling

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
if ever there was a TARDIS that deserved to get wrecked by regen energy

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s a testament to the quality of the actors who’ve played The Master that it’s consistently very hard to rank them from least favourite to favourite. Aside from the crispy Masters being the least favourite and Roger Delgado being at the very top.

I settle on instead of ranking them, appreciating them for their different characteristics.

Like what makes Dhawan so great is how he combines suaveness with psychopathic rage. All the Masters, when not extra crispy, could be suave and charming (except maybe Roberts, who was pure Menace). Missy acted insane and unpredictable but it seemed she was in total control and calculating all her weirdness. Simm you have to break down into 3 separate personalities: his manic first era, where he was the bizarro version of 10 driven mad by the DRUMMING THE CONSTANT DRUMMING can't you hear it? 2nd was batshit meat eating hungry Master, who was barely a whole person, and his final appearance where he was just cold and serious.

Now the first Simm is most like Dhawan, because he could be charming and then break off into rage. But Dhawan takes it to another level. He's more in control, calculating, and gleeful about his elaborate plans, but you sense a real undercurrent of Roberts style MENACE he can't control which is about to come out and loving KILL YOU!

Also today I learned:
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-the-power-of-the-doctor-rasputin-explained/

quote:

In “How The Monk Got His Habit”, Peter Harness, the writer behind “The Zygon Invasion/Inversion” pitched a story that would have seen the 12th Doctor encounter a previous version of his erstwhile nemesis, the Meddling Monk (from the First Doctor story, “The Time Meddler”). While “Time Meddler” saw the Monk interfering with the Battle of Hastings as part of an epic to do list of interfering with known history, this version (which would have been played by Matt Berry) only wanted one thing: to go backwards in time and meet Gregori Rasputin, and play him the song, “Ra Ra Rasputin” by Afro-German-Caribbean vocal group, Boney M. It turns out that song appearing in Doctor Who is a fixed point in time.

Forget the Rasputin story...we NEED to have Matt Berry as the Meddling Monk.

I mean, of course he won't do it, not after the last time. It could have been anyone in that mask!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Spearhead from Space

The Silurians

Colony in Space

Day of the Daleks

I was hoping there were more but it looks like they only published five of them. However I did find this:

21 volumes of Capaldi...

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Finally saw the episode and I loved it. It was messy but it was a mess filled of fanish goodness and I ate it all up.

Seeing Paul Mgann being classic 8th doctor and the companion support group was the highlight for me.
Did the doctor set the group up and arrange all the invitations for it? Feels like something they would do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure it was Graham doing his research.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

Finally saw the episode and I loved it. It was messy but it was a mess filled of fanish goodness and I ate it all up.

Seeing Paul Mgann being classic 8th doctor and the companion support group was the highlight for me.
Did the doctor set the group up and arrange all the invitations for it? Feels like something they would do.

everytime I hear the 8th doctor (big finish) I keep thinking about what might have been.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Also today I learned:
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who-the-power-of-the-doctor-rasputin-explained/

I mean, of course he won't do it, not after the last time. It could have been anyone in that mask!

I mean, on the one hand it's Peter Harness so oof. On the second, that sounds amazing, and Berry as the Monk would be incredible.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I was hoping there were more but it looks like they only published five of them. However I did find this:

21 volumes of Capaldi...

Japan has a garbage system of only putting 2-3 episodes on DVD/blurays and charging like $80 for them, which is how you end up with poo poo like this

It's also how a lot of anime series are supported by their disc sales

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if the Cybermen or Daleks, as described, really tried then the Doctor wouldn't be able to stop them? There were multiple times in this story where all they needed to succeed was have one of dozens of baddies actually connect with a laser blast.

Other than that, the episode was a.hoot.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

21 volumes of Capaldi...

The Japanese translation of Doctor Who is loving terrible - NHK picked it up several years in after it became a minor hit in Korea out of some sort of regional rivalry, got a translator who couldn't understand even a single line of dialogue from the doctor and appeared to be working without a copy of the script, and then dropped it after a series. I know it got repeated on Disney Channel Japan but I didn't realise they actually continued translating it - looks like 3 or 4 years after NHK abandoned it Hulu picked it up, but it's basically a straight to DVD show now.

It looks like they called it "Doctor Who" for series 1-4 then "Doctor Who New Generation" for Smith , "Doctor Who Next Generation" for Capaldi, and "Doctor Who Reborn" for Whittaker (the specials DVDs are then confusingly named too)

Infinitum posted:

Japan has a garbage system of only putting 2-3 episodes on DVD/blurays and charging like $80 for them, which is how you end up with poo poo like this

It's also how a lot of anime series are supported by their disc sales

That's only true of anime, live action TV tends to come out as much more reasonably priced box sets (still in the 3 figures for a season but much more reasonable)

The reason for the 21 DVDs there is that that's a rental-only DVD version, they spread the episodes out more to keep rental income up (also tend to be special-feature free / more barebones)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 25, 2022

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ookiimarukochan posted:

The Japanese translation of Doctor Who is loving terrible - NHK picked it up several years in after it became a minor hit in Korea out of some sort of regional rivalry, got a translator who couldn't understand even a single line of dialogue from the doctor and appeared to be working without a copy of the script, and then dropped it after a series.

Would The Timeless Child plot make more or less sense if poorly translated to Japanese without a script and then back to English? Because I don't think it could be worse than what we got...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Are they still producing a dub? I know Momotaros voiced Tennant for some length of time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally catching up on 13 and watching Flux for the first time. This third episode really is… a choice. I get what they’re going for and the plot seems relatively straight forward for DW but the constant jumping between time streams and characters is so disorienting that I genuinely can’t keep track of what’s going on.

It’s just a headache-inducing montage of vaguely related scenes. :psyduck:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
k, didn't actually know that the ep was this weekend, but have just watched it. will read through the thread and join in the chat tommorow but...

HOLYSHIT

That was one of the best nuwho episodes ever, the last 60-45 minutes. Unbelievable. What the gently caress. The winding narrow path led to this... worth all those years? Maybe.

I don't think this'll even diminish after watching it. That was so good. gently caress. Where did this come from? I love it. See you tommorow when I digest and read through the thread. Hope everyone isn't calling me an idiot, lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

werdnam posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if the Cybermen or Daleks, as described, really tried then the Doctor wouldn't be able to stop them? There were multiple times in this story where all they needed to succeed was have one of dozens of baddies actually connect with a laser blast.

It didn't really bother me, in part because it kind of gives the feeling that while the Master did get them all to work together, the result was actually probably worse than then just working alone, because none of the three sides actually complement each other or let them work to their stremgths.

He completely nullified the entire strength of having the Daleks on side by having them not shoot indiscriminately! The Cybermen do a lot better, but are let down by being commanded by someone capable of getting fooled through appeal to authority.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually kind of like the idea of Japanese Who being this strange poorly translated mutant version that’s impossible to keep track of.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that by contrast to 10's regeneration, 11 was completely at peace with himself, so when he finally regenerated it wasn't with the big exploding regeneration energy flying everywhere stuff (though Moffat still got to play with that by having him use the energy given by the Time Lords to blast some Daleks1), just a sudden quick snap backwards of his head and suddenly he's Capaldi and we ended the episode with that brilliant :staredog: :ohdear: bit between he and Clara.

“Tag, you’re it!” legit brought a bit of a tear. It was perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Astroman posted:

Would The Timeless Child plot make more or less sense if poorly translated to Japanese without a script and then back to English? Because I don't think it could be worse than what we got...

The Master has fancy plans, and pants to match?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Astroman posted:

Also today I learned:

Get him for one episode. New title sequence, The Adventures of the Meddling Monk, situate him as the main character of the story, make it the Doctor-lite episode. He's off to do some petty mischief, stumbles across a Doctor and current companion adventure, nabs the companion for a while, runs off Zoidberg-like when the Doctor catches up. Maybe Berry has a blast and agrees to come back later; if not, you can always regenerate the Monk.

werdnam posted:

No. That isn't how stories like this go: if you want that kind of thing, watch the TV Movie, or, arguably, The Stolen Earth. Given how many lesser characters routinely get shot or killed in episodes of Doctor Who, I'm not sure it's the best example of the Star Wars imperial stormtroopers "precision" shooting phenomenon. Companion or Doctor deaths are special and unlikely to just be a random shot, although RTD was more willing to pull that narrative trigger (and then reverse it).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kinda just skipped through the last episode of Flux because nothing in that entire season really grabbed me, but Eve of the Daleks was… good? Like really good!? Or at least entertaining.

13’s a lot of fun when they actually let her be a scatter-brained Doc Brown type.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Really teared up with the absence of Sarah Jane

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As much as I love Matt Berry, Rufus Hound is absolutely killing it as The Monk for Big Finish. The story "Divorced, Beheaded, Regenerated" in Missy Series One is one of the best things ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kinda just skipped through the last episode of Flux because nothing in that entire season really grabbed me, but Eve of the Daleks was… good? Like really good!? Or at least entertaining.

13’s a lot of fun when they actually let her be a scatter-brained Doc Brown type.

It wasn't until pretty late in her run that I realized she's a Disaster Lesbian and it kinda clicked.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

lol of course Chibnall ended his Who run on Broadchurch, this man :cripes:

I think I would've been more forgiving of all the rampant plotholes if the episode was shorter, and if Chibnall hadn't written himself into the same corner RTD did with Rose and Ten back then. At least Yaz didn't die? Also I'm not sure if Sacha's performance in this episode makes up for the couple years of queerbaiting tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ignis posted:

Also I'm not sure if Sacha's performance in this episode makes up for the couple years of queerbaiting tbh

Queerbaiting with Yaz and Whittaker, or queerbaiting with The Master?

Because Darwan was definitely playing it very gay this episode.