Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dick Ripple posted:

If all your enemies (Ukraine/NATO) are talking about a post Putin Russia, it would probably cause a little paranoia and possibly internal division. It is also diffilcult seeing Putin accepting any sort of ceasefire/peace treaty other than Ukraine giving up those regions as Russian territory well as other equally humiliating terms.

Yeah, we talk about making sure Russia is defeated to the point where they can't just come back in 5-10-whatever years, but it wouldn't surprise me if Putin is seeing the other side now where a Ukraine rebuilt/rearmed by the West could try to retake the 'annexed' territories (or come after him if he's feeling especially paranoid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://en.zona.media/article/2022/10/24/marriedanddrafted

A group of Russian journalists estimate mobilisation to have called upon 492k people since September 21.

Time to see if quantity has a quality all its own in TYOOL 2022.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OAquinas posted:

Time to see if quantity has a quality all its own in TYOOL 2022.

I strongly suspect they're going to eat poo poo to the point where they have almost negative military value.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sean10mm posted:

I strongly suspect they're going to eat poo poo to the point where they have almost negative military value.

what do you mean greater logistical burden draining an already stretched thin logistical tail???

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I don't see what is wrong with the letter other than that it assumes Biden hasn't already tried from time to time to find some sort of negotiated solution. All it is really saying is that it would be better if the war ended sooner rather than later while reaffirming the stance that the US should never impose or pressure Ukraine into a settlement that they are not happy with. Is it redundant that what they are asking for is already being tried? Yes. But I don't see anything in the contents of the letter which would make it "stupid".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The problem is it ignores that Russia is an entirely bad faith actor when it comes to negotiations and honouring their commitments arise from said negotations, while providing something Russia can use in bad faith to waive around and say "Why won't the west negotiate?".

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

MikeC posted:

I don't see what is wrong with the letter other than that it assumes Biden hasn't already tried from time to time to find some sort of negotiated solution. All it is really saying is that it would be better if the war ended sooner rather than later while reaffirming the stance that the US should never impose or pressure Ukraine into a settlement that they are not happy with. Is it redundant that what they are asking for is already being tried? Yes. But I don't see anything in the contents of the letter which would make it "stupid".

I think that's why people are saying it's stupid? Nothing really new but gives something for propagandists to spin in bad faith.

If you're trying to build your cred by pushing for a peaceful resolution, the weakest of letters to Biden isn't really it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

WarpedLichen posted:

I think that's why people are saying it's stupid? Nothing really new but gives something for propagandists to spin in bad faith.

As opposed to saying "we will never negotiate"? That wouldn't get spinned?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FishBulbia posted:

That's close to Zelensky's current position. Ukraine said a long time ago that if referendums were held in the conquered territories that there would be no further negotiations. Since then he had said there will be no further negotiations with Putin. So yeah the current Ukrainian state position is that negotiations are over.

So the problem with the letter is that it looks like it is undermining that position.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

I don't think anybody is asking them to say anything at all, so there's no reason a statement had to be made in the first place.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping a channel open for negotiations, but as others have already pointed out, the previous stance was that Putin must negotiate with Ukraine for peace and not the US. I don't think Biden can push Putin to the negotiations table any more than he has without escalating the war more, so it's about as useful to the real situation as asking Santa for the war to end. The only real thing Biden can do is pressure Ukraine to the negotiations by conceding to Russia, but they specifically say to not do that.

Its just a dumb political move because I can't see what side they are trying to appeal to. If you want news coverage you might as well write a strongly worded letter to Putin about ending the war for all the good that's going to do. Its very reminiscent of the early Macron statements about diplomacy, where it's wishful thinking that achieves nothing except make you look like a tool.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's close to Zelensky's current position. Ukraine said a long time ago that if referendums were held in the conquered territories that there would be no further negotiations. Since then he had said there will be no further negotiations with Putin. So yeah the current Ukrainian state position is that negotiations are over.

So the problem with the letter is that it looks like it is undermining that position.

It also got released right when:
1) We know Putin is looking for a ceasefire to gets troops trained and resume the attack.
2) There are new rounds of reports of mass torture in occupied territories.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think anybody is asking them to say anything at all, so there's no reason a statement had to be made in the first place.

What do you mean by this?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It's a nothing letter so the Progressive Caucus can say they that we need more money for social programs and maybe see if there is a peaceful solution. I wouldn't pay it much mind.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

What do you mean by this?

Is Biden asking the progressive caucus for opinions on what to do during the war? Are they providing an idea on how to achieve peace? Is there somebody in the administration who will slap their head and go geez, framework for peace, I can't believe nobody thought of that before?

As far as I know, nobody asked the progressive caucus for a plan, so there is no need to put out a public facing statement on the subject except to make it clear what your positions are for next election. Which is fine, but it seems like a weak statement to make.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's actively harmful since it can be taken by Putin as a sign of the West wanting to betray Ukraine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

WarpedLichen posted:

Is Biden asking the progressive caucus for opinions on what to do during the war?

Congress members often speak or write without being directed to by the president.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Congress members often speak or write without being directed to by the president.

They're perfectly entitled to say anything they want, whenever they want. Just because they are entitled to put their foot in their mouth doesn't mean they have to do it.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

AOC can post on twitter saying "I like little kids." It's allowed but it can still be dumb.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not, Zelensky position is that they'll not cede territory

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do we have any updates on the strategic situation in the war? It seems we've been under blackout for a few days?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

OddObserver posted:

It's actively harmful since it can be taken by Putin as a sign of the West wanting to betray Ukraine.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want Putin to walk away from this with the wrong impression.

What action, or inaction, do you think wouldn't be misinterpreted by the Kremlin? Considering everything that has been on display for 9 months.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Do we have any updates on the strategic situation in the war? It seems we've been under blackout for a few days?

Sure.

Intro and then excerpts as I pick. I cut down on excerpts a lot this time around, because people asked the same couple questions over and over or asking for details on how the IC came to this assessment regarding dirty bombs and nuclear weapons.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3197746/senior-military-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

-Ukraine is not building dirty bombs and the whole dirty bomb story is bullshit
-No indication that Russia is planning to use nuclear weapons or " the kinds of capabilities that I have mentioned." when discussing nuclear weapons and dirty bombs, chemical weapons, biological weapons, etc.
-Bakhmut remains dynamic, with Ukraine defending against Russian attacks [My Note: There has been a lot of small scale back and forth as Russia has struggled to try to take Bakhmut for the past 8-11 weeks or so and has managed to get the line up to the eastern edge of the city]
-Russian forces are digging in and fortifying defensive lines with troops, trenches, etc vicinity of Kherson City and surrounding area. DOD continuing to refer to Kherson axis as Ukraine being "deliberate and calibrated" in offense.
-DOD has not paid SpaceX for Starlink service in Ukraine.

quote:

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: All right, well, good morning, everyone. Thank you very much for joining us. (inaudible) here. I will be your briefer today. As a reminder, today's briefing will be on background. You may attribute it to "a senior military official." A few items to cover up top, and then I'll provide an overview of the battlefield in Ukraine.

So as you're aware, Secretary Austin spoke to Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu on Friday and on Sunday. Friday's call was initiated by Secretary Austin, whereas Sunday's call was requested by Minister Shoigu as a follow-up to Friday's discussion. And I'm not going to have any more details to provide regarding these calls beyond what was in the readouts that we published on defense.gov, and I appreciate your understanding on that front.

He also spoke to Ukraine's Ministry of Defense on Friday; has another call scheduled for later today. We'll be sure to provide a readout on that. And you can expect to see -- see a series of phone calls with allies and partners in the days ahead as well, and again, we'll be sure to provide readouts as they become available.

Separate, but related, we've seen the reports of Russian allegations that Ukraine is preparing to use a dirty bomb in Ukraine. These allegations are false, and as my NSC colleagues have said, the world would see through any attempt to use this allegation as a pretext for escalation. Notably, however, while I'm not going to discuss specific intelligence, we still have seen nothing to indicate that the Russians have made a decision to employ nuclear weapons. We'll, of course, continue to monitor it closely and keep the lines of communication open between allies, partners, the Ukrainians and the Russians.

In the meantime, our focus remains on continuing to work with the international community to provide Ukraine with the security assistance and support they need to defend their country.

Turning to the situation on the ground in Ukraine, we continue to see Russian strikes across Ukraine with many appearing to target Ukraine's power grid. These strikes have employed various missiles and drones, to include Iranian-provided UAVs. In the Kharkiv region, Ukrainian forces continue to consolidate their lines in support of their counteroffensive, with both sides trading artillery fire. We do assess that the Ukrainians have liberated some villages in the region and continue to make advances as they pressure toward the east. Russian forces in this area are largely focused on reinforcing their defensive lines.

Near Bakhmut fighting remains heavy and dynamic, with Russian forces attempting to take the city but being contested by Ukrainian forces. And in the Kherson region, Ukrainian forces continue to make deliberate and calibrated operations in support of their counteroffensive along three main axes. We assess that Russian forces are largely digging in to strengthen their defensive lines in this sector.

Q: Good morning. Thanks for doing this.

I wanted to talk about the Shoigu/Austin call. As you're likely aware, Shoigu has also said that the -- he's also spoken again this morning to the U.K. defense minister. I'm wondering if there's another scheduled call for Austin and Shoigu. And with the, I guess, increased number of these calls, how concerned is the Pentagon that this is all being used for a pretext for attack?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, so I don't have anything to announce right now in terms of potential future calls. As always, Secretary Austin believes that it's important to have mechanisms in place for engaging both allies and adversaries alike to address and work through potential misperceptions in order to manage escalation and prevent miscalculation.

In terms of your second question, I'm not going to speculate. Again, the Ukrainians are not building a dirty bomb, but we also have no indications that the Russians have made a decision to employ nuclear weapons. So we'll continue to monitor it closely. We'll keep the lines of communication open with allies, partners, the Ukrainians and the Russians, and as I mentioned at the top, our focus will continue to be on working with our allies, partners and the Ukrainians to provide the Ukrainians with the support that they need to defend their country.

All right, let me go to Tom Bowman, NPR.

Q: Yeah, again on Kherson, there's reports that some Russian troops are leaving, crossing the Dnipro, others are coming in. Can you give us a sense of what you're seeing, a ballpark on numbers? And are they crossing over a single bridge, a barge? How's that working out?

And also, you know, this great need for generators in Ukraine because of the Russian attacks on the power infrastructure, is there a sense that the U.S. and NATO will send more generators in?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Tom.

So in terms of Russian movements in Kherson, we do have indications that some Russian units are essentially relocating, you know, in terms of the -- and repositioning -- but in terms of the numbers and specifically how they're doing that, I'm not going to get into that level of detail.

Largely speaking, though, the Russian forces that are in the vicinity of Kherson City and throughout that sector, we see them looking to shore up their defensive lines, you know, essentially to -- to counter the -- the Russian -- or the Ukrainian, rather, counter-offensive.

So as far as generators go, I don't -- I don't have anything to provide on that, other than to say, you know, broadly speaking, when it comes to support for Ukraine, I think you've seen the U.S. allies, partners working to stay in close communication with the Ukrainians, in terms of what their needs are, particularly going into the winter.

So I don't have anything to announce today but certainly I expect that it will be a continued area of conversation, how best we can support Ukraine heading into the -- the --

Q: -- right. And you say "shoring up defenses." Can you get a little more specific? Are they digging trenches, hardening locations? What exactly does "shoring up" look like?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, I think you're exactly right. In some cases, digging trenches, setting up defenses (in depth ?), in terms of being able to defend against Ukrainian counter-offensive. So that's about the level of detail that I'm able to go into right now.

Q: Thanks so much.

You just had a question on Russian corruption. I'm curious if the Pentagon has any assessment or the U.S. has an assessment of what impact corruption in the Russian defense industry has had on the overall effectiveness of Russia's war effort?

Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks for the question, Jack.

So I -- I'm not -- I don't really have any information specifically to provide in terms of corruption writ large within the Russian defense industry.

I will say, in terms of Russian performance on the battlefield, you know, we have seen a significant challenge when it comes to logistics, sustainment, not only on the battlefield but also as you've seen from their mobilization.

So while I don't have any specifics to provide in terms of how the Russian MOD manages its resources, what we are seeing is the inability to sustain large scale combat operations in the Ukraine and to train, equip and then get these mobilized forces to the battlefield.

And so, in some ways, that speaks for itself but I'd refer you to the Russian MOD to talk about their own management.

Q: Hey, thanks.

So just so I am clear on this when you say that the U.S. is seeing no information to indicate that the Russians have made a decision to employ nuclear weapons, are you including employing dirty bombs. Are you lumping that in when you say nuclear weapons? That's question number one.

And then question number two, have the NASAMS arrived in Ukraine yet?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: We’ve seen no information to indicate that they [Russia] have made a decision to employ nuclear/chem/bio weapons on the battlefield.

Q: To include dirty bombs?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes.

Q: Okay, great. And then about the NASAMS that the U.S. are provided to the Ukrainians, have they arrived in country yet?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So we expect the NASAMS to be delivered within the next couple of weeks. Of course, we'll defer to our Ukrainian partners to make that announcement when they arrived and when they're operational. But as we've mentioned before, we'll continue to work hard to get those there as quickly as possible.

Q: Thank you.

You have said repeatedly the U.S. has no indications that the Russians are planning to use nuclear weapons. What about the possibility that the Russians are planning to stage a false-flag attack using a radiological weapon, and then blaming it on Ukraine? Are you seeing any indications of that?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks for the question, Jeff.

So again, I'm not going to speculate. Right now, I'll provide the facts as I know them, which are that the Ukrainians are not building a dirty bomb, nor do we have indications that the Russians have made a decision to employ nuclear/chem/bio, you know. So again, we'll monitor this closely, as I've mentioned. We'll keep the lines of communication open. But again, from a Department of Defense standpoint, our focus right now is going to be on continuing to support Ukraine in their fight.

Q: Yes, the Russian MOD has said that they've activated their counter-WMD forces, or put them on alert, and I'm just wondering, what is your assessment of what you've seen Russian forces doing to prepare for their -- as alleging the use of a dirty bomb?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, so I'd have to refer you to the Russian MOD to talk about their specific forces. Again, our focus right now has been on supporting Ukraine. But I don't have anything specific to provide in regards to Russian MOD forces.

Q: Thanks for taking my question.

Can you answer -- has the Pentagon funded SpaceX's Starlink system at all yet?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So at this time, the DOD has not paid SpaceX for any Starlink services, as it relates to Ukraine. Again, we continue to have conversations with SpaceX and others in terms of how best to support Ukraine for their satellite communication needs.

Q: Okay, thank you.

And just separately, does the U.S. have -- has the U.S. seen any indications that there's more Iranian drones on the way to Ukraine? I just saw Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Russia asked for 2,000 more.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So, you know, as I highlighted in the beginning, we do know that Iran has provided Russia with drones for use on the battlefield in Ukraine. While I don't have anything specific to provide in terms of potential future deliveries, it would not -- we would not be surprised were that the case. So that's something we'll continue to keep an eye on going forward.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kraftwerk posted:

Not a blackout, just not a lot happening. Still not sure 100% what is going on in Kherson (whether the Russians are really leaving and at what speed) but the front lines seem to have gone back into a relatively static phase.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1584641718049464320

Ok, so I've noticed that there are some increasingly apocalyptic commentary on the state of the European economy and predictions about Europe being turned into some kind of wasteland in the next few years, and its a talking point popular among an eclectic group of people who seem to swarm around ideologies like isolationist American nationalism, European nationalism (often of the fascist variety), pro-Russian triumphalism and Tankie inclined Leftism. Like this guy wrote the book 'Fully Automated Luxury Communism' which seemed to be popular with Leftists for a while so he's not nobody. I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

khwarezm posted:

Ok, so I've noticed that there are some increasingly apocalyptic commentary on the state of the European economy and predictions about Europe being turned into some kind of wasteland in the next few years, and its a talking point popular among an eclectic group of people who seem to swarm around ideologies like isolationist American nationalism, European nationalism (often of the fascist variety), pro-Russian triumphalism and Tankie inclined Leftism. Like this guy wrote the book 'Fully Automated Luxury Communism' which seemed to be popular with Leftists for a while so he's not nobody. I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

Europe isn't losing its competitiveness because it's buying gas from someone different at somewhat higher prices.

Some tougher than ordinary times are ahead, that's all.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
If anything this is likely to do good things for Europe in the future, not being attached at the hip to a dictator's gas supplies and building up more green energy independence as a necessary fix to that.

But yes it will be a few tough years and as we're seeing in the UK this has massive implications for political parties. I don't think anyone knows where exactly that will lead, each country has its own issues both economic and political. But Europe has a massive and diverse economy and way better demographics than Russia or China. So while they may be in for some bad times, they're very likely to fare better than their main strategic competitors.

This will be a massive boon for the US if the US doesn't implode itself via stupidity... again.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 25, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
China's running propaganda cartoons targeting the "Russia sanctions are driving EU into ruin and benefitting the US" line, so it's likely the same's running through Russian media streams.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I wish I had a crystal ball as accurate as these pundits, probably could make a killing on the markets.

I like how every country is battling recession fears (because guess what we live in a global economy and disruptions affect everybody) and people are trying to pick winners and losers that probably won't be apparent until at minimum 5 years from now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Pretty much everyone is projecting a down trend in Europe for the next couple years since that's what the numbers say. Germany and much of Western Europe in particular made an enormous strategic mistake by becoming so heavily reliant on Russian oil and gas. The new infrastructure necessary to pivot to other sources is costly and will take time to build. In the last few months Germany has been shuttering factories because the power required to run them is just too expensive.

Most people are still unaware just how heavily reliant on fossil fuels the world economy is at every level. When you drag those price sliders upwards very bad things happen. That's not an ideological statement unless you want it to be one.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

China's running propaganda cartoons targeting the "Russia sanctions are driving EU into ruin and benefitting the US" line, so it's likely the same's running through Russian media streams.

China itself stands to benefit strategically from access to cheap Russian fossil fuel so of course they're projecting that on America.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

Not really, “next few years” is an eternity in economic terms. If you can do they accurately, however, I’d love to get some advice from you.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The irony of that chart is that a lot of California's current GDP growth is credited to renewables. If anything, the current crisis should show Germany / the EU that not only is cheap Russian energy a dire political choice, but a questionable economic choice in the long term.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The irony of that chart is that a lot of California's current GDP growth is credited to renewables. If anything, the current crisis should show Germany / the EU that not only is cheap Russian energy a dire political choice, but a questionable economic choice in the long term.

The problem with this is that renewables work a lot better in California than they do in Central or Northern Europe. What renewables do you propose to power Germany with in the winter months when there is basically no sunlight, and when very cold weather typically coincides with zero wind?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

The problem with this is that renewables work a lot better in California than they do in Central or Northern Europe. What renewables do you propose to power Germany with in the winter months when there is basically no sunlight, and when very cold weather typically coincides with zero wind?

I was more speaking industrially than trying to reboot the German energy debate. Germany's industrial expertise should theoretically apply to manufacturing renewables, even if the domestic market is small. Granted it would be far easier for that sector to develop with a strong domestic demand, but it's not impossible - just look at Germany's status as a shipbuilder.

What I'm saying is, go all in on fusion.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Tuna-Fish posted:

Not only does Germany have huge existing renewable exploitation, but they also have huge potential renewable exploitation both domestically and within close proximity with the right partnerships. Renewable energy doesn’t just consist of rooftop solar and lowlands windmills in Munich.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

By what measure of renewables are we really talking about anyway?

It's kinda interesting because the percentage of renewables in terms of electrical power in CA and in Germany are actually comparable.

CA looks like its at ~33% of total electrical power https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/california-electricity-data/2021-total-system-electric-generation and Germany is at ~41.1% https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/en/topics/climate-energy/renewable-energies/renewable-energies-in-figures

Kinda not apples to apples, but renewables really isn't the catch all answer to economic woes especially when heating and manufacturing are considered.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

archangelwar posted:

Not only does Germany have huge existing renewable exploitation, but they also have huge potential renewable exploitation both domestically and within close proximity with the right partnerships. Renewable energy doesn’t just consist of rooftop solar and lowlands windmills in Munich.

Europe has a big tidal variance for example

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

China itself stands to benefit strategically from access to cheap Russian fossil fuel so of course they're projecting that on America.

This would only theoretically be something if China wasn't on the actual brink of collapse as a country, unlike the EU simply going through hard times. If Russia gets the short end of the stick, that's by definition going to impact China as well, every level. BRICS isn't BRICS if every one of em is collapsed. Of all financial situations on this planet to be in a bad shape, China's is arguably the worst. Even if GDP of Germany is bypassed by the US (California), it isn't going to say much as to the ongoing war financing or otherwise. Germany could be smaller or bigger and their material amount of assistance (not political, for that matter) I would *guess* would remain similar.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 25, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This would only theoretically be something if China wasn't on the actual brink of collapse as a country, unlike the EU simply going through hard times. If Russia gets the short end of the stick, that's by definition going to impact China as well, every level. BRICS isn't BRICS if every one of em is collapsed. Of all financial situations on this planet to be in a bad shape, China's is arguably the worst. Even if GDP of Germany is bypassed by the US, it isn't going to say much as to the ongoing war financing or otherwise. Germany could be smaller or bigger and their material amount of assistance (not political, for that matter) I would *guess* would remain similar.

I might be misreading your post, but I think you’re greatly overstating the economic problems affecting the People’s Republic right now. Maybe I’m missing something.

There are massive malinvestment problems that need to get fixed, but I don’t see indications that China isn’t up to the task of fixing them. I also don’t see indications of the CCP’s grip on power weakening. If anything, Xi has tightened its grip quite a lot. China’s not on the brink of collapse.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

European states individually are mostly depopulating or stagnating places with limited natural resources. IDK how them no longer being comparable to the productive end of literally continent spanning countries is supposed to shocking unless you were frozen in like 1912 and just woke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FishBulbia posted:

European states individually are mostly depopulating or stagnating places with limited natural resources. IDK how them no longer being comparable to the productive end of literally continent spanning countries is supposed to shocking unless you were frozen in like 1912 and just woke up.
In a lot of more left leaning discussions on the internet, the framing is that the US is pants on head idiotic policy-wise compared to (Western) Europe. While this is frequently accurate, it somewhat conflicts with the US going from strength to strength economically: if the US keeps picking poo poo policies, why is it doing so much better in terms of productivity?

And talking about natural resources doesn't make much sense especially in this context, California isn't really a petro or mining state, its economy is driven more by tech and media, often tech and media that is successful internationally.