Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

STAC Goat posted:

Michael Kay is basically mcmagic.

Now that I think about it I've never seen them in the same room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Dodgers are really in on Judge there is no way the Yankees will outbid them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Urshela10/status/1584530173202157569

I guess Gio decided to do a little trolling

Pretty healthy mix if fans who say they miss him and fans who are angry about it

e: actually it's weighted more in the "Donaldson sucks we miss you" direction

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

Pretty healthy mix if fans who say they miss him and fans who are angry about it

He's a FAR better player than Donaldson but that isn't saying much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

e: actually it's weighted more in the "Donaldson sucks we miss you" direction

I mean to be fair Cashman flat-out said Gio "is no Josh Donaldson" about the trade so were I in his shoes I'd be taking a little victory lap too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yeah Gio isn't a complete rear end in a top hat who most people hate, that's very true

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I mean to be fair Cashman flat-out said Gio "is no Josh Donaldson" about the trade so were I in his shoes I'd be taking a little victory lap too.

Turns out he was right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is great

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1584683567535517697?s=46&t=Sf7HHJghTK8ezzJyhdcbCQ

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Should I be excited about the Rangers hiring Bochy? Managers don’t actually matter that much, right?

Boch was a players' manager, well-liked by most of the guys who played for him. He protects his players, and if he has to bench a guy or something, he does it privately, not in the media. He sometimes plays struggling veterans over kids with more potential, like when Brandon Belt couldn't get in the lineup his first couple years.

The Giants were an old-school org when Bochy managed them. One of the last teams to buy into the moneyball stuff. It will be interesting to see if the game has passed him by. He liked stable bullpen roles (Affeldt in the 7th, Romo in the 8th, Casilla in the 9th, or w/e) and making out the same lineup card every day. It's a little hard to see him using an opener, or piggybacking SPs, or doing the midgame platoon switch stuff, and I'm not sure he knows what Statcast or spin rate is.

Also, he has a large head. Seriously, you would not believe the melon on this guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well there you go

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1584915586143948801?s=46&t=u8A0OWviT96OV5URStFRRA

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I didn't know the WSJ covered baseball

Good for her, probably

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

WSJ baseball: "Minor league players continue to demand more concessions from owners, but are they negatively impacting their own financial interests by asking to be paid more than sock lint?"

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Good news for 29 teams!

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1585002018879438848

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Boch was a players' manager, well-liked by most of the guys who played for him. He protects his players, and if he has to bench a guy or something, he does it privately, not in the media. He sometimes plays struggling veterans over kids with more potential, like when Brandon Belt couldn't get in the lineup his first couple years.

The Giants were an old-school org when Bochy managed them. One of the last teams to buy into the moneyball stuff. It will be interesting to see if the game has passed him by. He liked stable bullpen roles (Affeldt in the 7th, Romo in the 8th, Casilla in the 9th, or w/e) and making out the same lineup card every day. It's a little hard to see him using an opener, or piggybacking SPs, or doing the midgame platoon switch stuff, and I'm not sure he knows what Statcast or spin rate is.

Also, he has a large head. Seriously, you would not believe the melon on this guy.

The one thing to note about Bochy is that he absolutely, resolutely hates "unwritten rules" bullshit, and he will not hesitate to bench pitchers for retaliation throws or hitters who start jawing off.

In other news, Skip Schumaker is the Marlins' new manager.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Smart move. They've built a perennial contender

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lmao never change Yankees media

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1584961738633580558?s=20&t=8rvhZYH5qRE7BuPha9A0bw

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 25, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I mean, that is kind of the Yankee solution to every problem

Then again, in previous years, they'd go for big veteran bats - however, the LeMahieu signing didn't seem to fit their MO, but he's been great for them. With IKF, well... were they hoping for a similar outcome?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Loser second tier franchise.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hate all of this so much. Don't put loving Correa in a yankee uniform you loving fucks. Also the 40 year old Verlander who got bombed vs only decent lineup he pitched against in the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol verlander put up the second best season long era in history, he's washed

hopefully he doesn't opt out of 2023 but if he does the Astros can move on I think. Even without him they have a bit of a SP crunch with Lance, Framber, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown and potentially Whitley

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dansby actually makes a lot of sense for the Yankees doesn't he?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They aren't going to sign a SS.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think they're expecting Volpe to come up

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Julio Cruz posted:

I think they're expecting Volpe to come up

In 2024. They need to make sure they have a lovely defender with zero power or hitting talent hold the position all year first and give no opportunities to any rookies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

In 2024. They need to make sure they have a lovely defender with zero power or hitting talent hold the position all year first and give no opportunities to any rookies.

Volpe should be the starting SS in 2023.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/10/giants-on-mission-to-steal-aaron-judge-from-yankees-they-wont-be-underbid.html

quote:

The Giants have targeted Judge and are prepared to spend whatever it takes, a person with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking told NJ Advance Media after meeting with members of the franchise’s ownership group. The person, who isn’t authorized to speak on behalf of the team, was granted anonymity.

“Judge is at the top of the Giants list and they won’t be underbid,” the person said. “If they miss out, it won’t be because of money.”

The person added that the Giants planned to entice Judge further by signing at least two-high priced free agents.

“The Giants are not going to stop with Judge,” the person said. “They have so much money freed up.”

Honestly I expected the Giants to sit it out a couple years given the surging Dodgers and Padres, so it'd be neat if they said actually nah gently caress that noise and went all in on signing Judge + a couple other top tier FA's. That said Judge's all fields HR approach would get suppressed to hell and back by Oracle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees as they are currently run where they don’t spend like the other teams at their level of revenue will let Judge walk.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
who will the Yankees sign to replace him? I'm thinking maybe Michael Conforto

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Johnny Bravo posted:

Jacoby Ellsbury

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sydin posted:

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/10/giants-on-mission-to-steal-aaron-judge-from-yankees-they-wont-be-underbid.html

Honestly I expected the Giants to sit it out a couple years given the surging Dodgers and Padres, so it'd be neat if they said actually nah gently caress that noise and went all in on signing Judge + a couple other top tier FA's. That said Judge's all fields HR approach would get suppressed to hell and back by Oracle.

Imagine setting the AL home run record one year and the MLB triples record the next

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

They will sign a bunch of second tier players. That is what they do.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/bigdumperPm/status/1190655173011505153

Congrats Mariners fans!!!

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The Angels are going to win the world series as soon as Rendon is off the books

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i will cry if Judge walks and while I may be fooling myself as a homer and I don't discount that he could leave I really do think it makes all the sense in the world from both sides for him to stay. And none of the mcmagic level misinformation can convince me otherwise. They offered him a big deal in April that would have killed any of the "they won't spend" arguments. They gambled he couldn't get more (and many of the posters here mocked him for thinking he could). He went and had a historic season and wrote himself into Yankee history books. Now the Yankees can't let him walk. Even if you believe some conspiracy theory that the first deal was all a bluff to say "we tried" and let him walk, he called their bluff and now you gotta pay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

i will cry if Judge walks and while I may be fooling myself as a homer and I don't discount that he could leave I really do think it makes all the sense in the world from both sides for him to stay. And none of the mcmagic level misinformation can convince me otherwise. They offered him a big deal in April that would have killed any of the "they won't spend" arguments. They gambled he couldn't get more (and many of the posters here mocked him for thinking he could). He went and had a historic season and wrote himself into Yankee history books. Now the Yankees can't let him walk. Even if you believe some conspiracy theory that the first deal was all a bluff to say "we tried" and let him walk, he called their bluff and now you gotta pay.

The team with Judge on it isn’t close to good enough to even get to the World Series. In fact they were flat out bad for most of the year with him on it. Do you think it’s likely that they would pay Judge and then also do what is necessary to actually build a good team around him?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

little known fact that 99 win teams are bad most of the year WOW

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

little known fact that 99 win teams are bad most of the year WOW

They had a below .500 record over their last 100 games. You might want to check my math for me but I think that 100 games is in fact most of the year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to spending the off season consoling Yankees fans about their 99 win ALCS team.

Keep your head up.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Yankees had half those 99 wins by game 67 (50-17) and went 49-46 the rest of the way (52-52 if you include the playoffs). I suppose we can argue if .500 ball constitutes "bad" but for most of the year they weren't exactly world beaters if you lay it out that way.

If they'd gone 500 for 2/3 of the year and then finished 50-17 people would be talking about what an amazing comeback season it was but instead they're huge disappointments because they did a reverse Phillies

I'm obviously not arguing that you should have sympathy for the Yankees but that red-hot start really messed with people's perceptions of what they could or should be if you weren't following them day to day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bad sign cause this quote is exclusively invoked by men who are doing something extremely stupid
https://twitter.com/wearyhobo/status/1585020340362682385