Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
WIP of the next group of gellerpox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Two more Fallout minis down

Had it in me to do another

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 25, 2022

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Floppychop posted:

What are some good replacements now?

Raphael 8404

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Yeast posted:

Raphael 8404

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

You consistently paint the prettiest Nurgle monstrosities and I'm here for it.

Most other people who paint Nurgle make things so overboard gross that I actually feel repulsed by them.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Got roped into Kill Team after not touching minis for past eight years.

Trying out the AP speedpaints in case they'll act as a gateway drug to going back to acrylics.

Metals are all Vallejo Chrome with 1:3 AP color + speedpaint medium washed over them for color.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aw yeah those are some tactical boys.

Welcome back!

Edit:

AndyElusive posted:

:emptyquote:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Nice thats the exact amount of painting I do in a session as well

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Spanish Manlove posted:

this is literally the exact painting scheme I had in my head for the character for when my gellerpox arrives

can you please pretty please give us a quick run down of the colors and process you did for this mini? I want to copy this design please!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Floppychop posted:

My winsor and newton series 7 brushes are finally starting to show their age after a few years. I understand that their quality has tanked pretty hard recently. What are some good replacements now?

I like Da Vinci Maestro 10s. They've got a big belly and hold their point very nicely, and tend to be on the more affordable end of the spectrum. I also have a Roubloff that I picked up at an art store, and that's been my workhorse for most of this year.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a salamander and skink for this month's opr contest.

These are incredible

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

this is literally the exact painting scheme I had in my head for the character for when my gellerpox arrives

can you please pretty please give us a quick run down of the colors and process you did for this mini? I want to copy this design please!

Its a lot of colors. And a lot of haphazard wet blending. You can punch up some of the highlights afterward but it's already so obnoxiously colored that I didn't think it needed any more

Prime black. Wet blend a bright blue and bright magenta on the model to make zones of highlight and shadow. Then do a zenithal drybrush of zandri dust, ice yellow, white as made famous in the SlapChop videos. Goal of this stage is to emulate the way craft world studio shades their stuff while having a platform to use contrast paints over. The magenta/purple will mix with the further contrast paints and make interesting warm shadows while the blue/purple will make shadows in the highlights that are cold and still contrasting.

Skin is just straight plaguebearer flesh. All the bright areas are a wet blend of various contrast paints: luxion purple, kroxigar scales, aeldari emerald, vulpus pink, terradon turquoise. To make the boils and wounds look inflamed I use scale 75 instant paint Dragons Blood applied lightly or targor rage shade applied lightly. The corpulent skin on the guy tucked in the abdomen is just that blood color then some light layers of AK buff and then a really subtle highlight of Vallejo nocturna pale flesh. Tentacles on the face are doomfire magenta thinned with contrast medium. The hood was originally leviadon blue thinned with contrast medium but I didn't like that so I covered it with black templar and manually highlighted the leather with some blues. The orange fish is just straight magmadroth flame. The bright green is just striking scorpion green. That didn't come out bright enough on the head horn so I highlighted with livery green and ice yellow.

Overall it's just sorta winging it and having fun making something out of a coral reef. I've been trying to make super bright models recently and if you actually read back in the thread you can see the rest of these guys.

Here's the initial step

Here's a wip once I got the tentacles done

Here's a nurgling covered in magenta and zenithal drybrush prepped

Another dude with the same idea

The two paints I undercoated with

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 25, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Most other people who paint Nurgle make things so overboard gross that I actually feel repulsed by them.

Grimdark is just so boring and when you get it on a table it looks so lame to have everything be blurry and various shades of brown. I think it was naebalaebaiforgotthespelling who said that these are essentially toys and it's fun to make them look so.

Here's a little top down view of my first game with my corsairs. Definitely didn't have trouble seeing them in that map

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Geisladisk posted:

These are incredible

Thanks! Now to paint 5 more of the salamanders and 17 more of the skinks :\

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Its a lot of colors. And a lot of haphazard wet blending. You can punch up some of the highlights afterward but it's already so obnoxiously colored that I didn't think it needed any more

Prime black. Wet blend a bright blue and bright magenta on the model to make zones of highlight and shadow. Then do a zenithal drybrush of zandri dust, ice yellow, white as made famous in the SlapChop videos. Goal of this stage is to emulate the way craft world studio shades their stuff while having a platform to use contrast paints over. The magenta/purple will mix with the further contrast paints and make interesting warm shadows while the blue/purple will make shadows in the highlights that are cold and still contrasting.

Skin is just straight plaguebearer flesh. All the bright areas are a wet blend of various contrast paints: luxion purple, kroxigar scales, aeldari emerald, vulpus pink, terradon turquoise. To make the boils and wounds look inflamed I use scale 75 instant paint Dragons Blood applied lightly or targor rage shade applied lightly. The corpulent skin on the guy tucked in the abdomen is just that blood color then some light layers of AK buff and then a really subtle highlight of Vallejo nocturna pale flesh. Tentacles on the face are doomfire magenta thinned with contrast medium. The hood was originally leviadon blue thinned with contrast medium but I didn't like that so I covered it with black templar and manually highlighted the leather with some blues. The orange fish is just straight magmadroth flame. The bright green is just striking scorpion green. That didn't come out bright enough on the head horn so I highlighted with livery green and ice yellow.

Overall it's just sorta winging it and having fun making something out of a coral reef. I've been trying to make super bright models recently and if you actually read back in the thread you can see the rest of these guys.

Here's the initial step

Here's a wip once I got the tentacles done

Here's a nurgling covered in magenta and zenithal drybrush prepped

Another dude with the same idea

The two paints I undercoated with

Holy poo poo thank you so so much!!! I’ll follow this guide and post the results!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Radiation Cow posted:

I like Da Vinci Maestro 10s. They've got a big belly and hold their point very nicely, and tend to be on the more affordable end of the spectrum. I also have a Roubloff that I picked up at an art store, and that's been my workhorse for most of this year.

Where are you buying Da Vinci's? Everywhere that I look they're more expensive than W&N Series 7s. I was really really happy with the Da Vinci brush I bought years ago and at the time it was half the cost of a S7, but I can't find them at that price anymore.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo thank you so so much!!! I’ll follow this guide and post the results!

Yeah it's really cool when people get into details about their technique, :cheers: Spanish Manlove

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Can anyone recommend a good way to get a word bearers red basecoat out of contrast? I did some experimentation over a metallic zenithal, and trying to mix down fleshtearers red, but I haven’t found a formulation that “feels right.”

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bored Online posted:

Can anyone recommend a good way to get a word bearers red basecoat out of contrast? I did some experimentation over a metallic zenithal, and trying to mix down fleshtearers red, but I haven’t found a formulation that “feels right.”

Something like this?

Baal red might be too bright, blood angels may work, flesh tearers seems to be a decent idea. But how bright was your metallic undercoat? If you're doing contrast over metallic you need to have an extremely bright metal like vmc chrome, gw stormhost, or s75 speed metal as your main silver. The contrast is translucent but not that much so you need almost white underneath to get it to work the best.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Bored Online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfULFFjcF8

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjQm6WHroO0/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I want to try this soon, looks like an easy win for my pile of ultramarines

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My wife's been bummed out so I 3D printed and painted one of her favorite characters, Tom Bombadil. The quality of the print left a little to be desired but I made the best of it (also the feather in the hat broke off)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeast posted:

Raphael 8404

Slyphic posted:

I've been through a ton of cheap brushes looking for anything that costs less than a Raphael 8404 that I like nearly as much and I have exhausted the ends of the internet. There's more expensive brushes I like more, but everything cheaper than them I barely tolerate to outright loathe.

So Raphael 8404s.

Perfect, ordered some for myself.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with the WizKids DnD miniatures? I recently got a couple of them (painted by the previous owner, traded two of my LOTR bowmen for them) but I want to check before stripping them, since I think it's not regular plastic that they use, and would rather not melt them by accident

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've tried a lot of brushes and I keep going back to the 8404 size 1 for my main detail work. It's so good. I'll use the other not so good brushes for metallic details as I'm ok with them dying as I'm running out of space in my brush box.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

In looking for a decent metallic blue for my high elves, I came across a site that was talking about Vallejo Metal Color paints, and how using a glossy black undercoat makes them pop so much more than a lighter base. After testing it out on a failed print, I found it really did make a drastic difference, and so now I'm going through the units I've already painted, blacking out the metals, and repainting them to be much, much brighter.

My blue metals now look so much better, even if it is just a ton of both Drakenhof Nightshade and P3 Blue Ink dumped into some VMC Silver.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Yeah I like this person's work, but it seems a lot brighter than the source material?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Something like this?

But how bright was your metallic undercoat?

I have been using chaos black primer -> iron hands steel or something comparable -> stormhost silver. I use a lot of the silver though, but I will post a pic when I can.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eh, close enough.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Anyone got a guide/any tips for edge highlighting with mildly shaky hands?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

DressCodeBlue posted:

I have a few steps to help here:

1. Often my shakiness is because I haven't eaten enough recently, so I'll snack or eat a meal before I start an edge highlighting session.
2. Prop up on my elbows, and as I paint I try to touch the bottom of my palms together, so both hands end up shaking together.
3. My partner got me a magnifying headset with lights on it, which helps a ton

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DressCodeBlue posted:

Have the model on something, like a pill bottle with bluetack or one of the fancy holders. Then brace the bottom of both hands against each other, and both forearms on the table. Use the edge of your brush whenever possible instead of the point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For shaky hands:

Don't deathgrip your brushes, have a nice relaxed grip as clenching your hands causes shaking.

Anchor your hands and arms as much as possible where the only things that should move when the brush is moving is a finger or two

Relax, breath, calm yourself down. Take a break, rub your hands, also relax again.

Practice. This also helps with nerves but really just finding what hand grips work for you and how to hold the model is all about feel

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Also avoid caffeine. It gives you the shaky hands as well. I can notice it about 10 minutes after ive finished a coffee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A bit of alcohol can help calm the shakes but don't overdo it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe you already watched this video but if not it’s excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhDhQZDlNk

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DressCodeBlue posted:

Here's what helps me:

Lean back in your chair a bit, and rest your forearms against your chest. This helps stabilize your arms so you're not using your shoulder, bicep, elbow, forearm, wrist, and fingers to stabilize your minis but are just using your fingers, wrists, and maybe your forearms.

Then try to work with your hands touching one another. That way, when your hands do move they'll tend to move together rather than moving in wildly opposite directions.

That's what's worked for me. It's important to remember that different people can have shaky hands for different reasons, and coming from different places; so if you try something and it doesn't work try something else until you find something that does.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 25, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One thing that helps me (from target shooting) is knowing that you're extra steady as you exhale.

If you have a large edge to highlight, don't take and hold a deep breath! Wait until you're exhaling naturally and just draw the edge of your brush against the edge of the surface.

It also helps to just chill me out, breathing is really cool.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

A bit of alcohol can help calm the shakes but don't overdo it.

This is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

moths posted:

One thing that helps me (from target shooting) is knowing that you're extra steady as you exhale.

If you have a large edge to highlight, don't take and hold a deep breath! Wait until you're exhaling naturally and just draw the edge of your brush against the edge of the surface.

It also helps to just chill me out, breathing is really cool.

Expanding on this a little bit, a stable position, a light grip (but firm enough), and watching your breathing all contribute to being able to do small lines.

you said shooting experience and it brought back memories from my own experience at the same